Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Late to the party: Just finished Fallout 3

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
So, I finally sat down and decided to give Bethesda's take on my beloved Fallout franchise a shot. I must say, it was better than I had expected. Compared to their latest game, Bethesda has improved. Oblivion bored me to tears, Fallout 3 not so much. It has a lot of stupid moments and combat pretty much sucks, but it could be a lot worse. Won't bother going into details, since the game has been discussed to death already. One thing though, what happened to the hundred of endings they talked about before the release? Didn't get any endings for the different locations I visited, unless they count those snapshots of NPCs that they showed during Ron Perlman's speech as ending slides.

MetalCraze

Arcane
How do you please a codexer:

1. Do a mediocre game.
2. Do a game so bad that it will instantly become a set of memes.
3. Do a less bad game than the previous one. While still shit Codex will enjoy eating it because you are "improving"

Fact.

Chefe

Erudite
Wrong.

Morrowind may have been medicre in the game play department, but it had great lore and some very interesting locations. As for Fallout 3, everyone thinks it's bad. It's an improvement over Oblivion, you cannot deny that, but no one on the Codex is happy how it turned out. Pointing out a fact doesn't mean you enjoy it or agree with it.

Black

Arcane
Compared to their latest game, Bethesda has improved.
Amazing.
Well, not exactly because oblivion was at the bottom so you couldn't get any lower and therefore saying that they improved in comparison to oblivion kinda doesn't say anything but hey, let's be positive.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
skyway said:
How do you please a codexer:

1. Do a mediocre game.
2. Do a game so bad that it will instantly become a set of memes.
3. Do a less bad game than the previous one. While still shit Codex will enjoy eating it because you are "improving"

Fact.
How do you please a skyway?

Trick question. A skyway can't be pleased.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
There are plenty of games that are a lot worse than Oblivion and there are plenty of games that are a lot better than Fallout 3.

As a Fallout game, it fails on very many accounts. As a post-apocalyptic first person CRPG, it's not a complete failure even for all its flaws it was a passable experience. The end was just plain horrid though. So the supermutant whom you rescued from captivity and who is immune to radiation doesn't want to save the world because he thinks it your destiny to die? Thanks a lot buddy, now get in there before I blast your kneecaps off!

V.A.T.S. is retarded, it doesn't emulate turnbased combat at all and at best feels like a built in cheat mode, especially once you get the level 20 perk that restores all your action points if you kill an enemy in combat.

Speaking of which, I hit level 20 pretty damn early in the game, making combat and the god damn lockpicking and hacking mini-games even more pointless time sinks. At least with lockpicking I found a cheat that gives you a 100% chance to force locks open, saving me some time. Mini-games can be OK when they're not forced upon you, clearly not the case here.

The character system is completely broken, with the fucking bobbleheads and the perks that let you raise your stat points you'll most likely end up with someone maxed out in at least all relevant skills.

Silly weapons like the Rock-it-launcher...

Bad dialogue, where the [intelligence] answer many times feel dumber, or at least exactly the same, as the regular response.

Three fucking dog

OK, better?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Major_Boobage said:
Its okay as a 3th person action game, SO THiS post is in the wrong forum!

No it isn't. It's fucking shit as a FPS or any other kind of action game for that matter.

Chefe

Erudite
Azael said:
There are plenty of games that are a lot worse than Oblivion and there are plenty of games that are a lot better than Fallout 3.

As a Fallout game, it fails on very many accounts. As a post-apocalyptic first person CRPG, it's not a complete failure even for all its flaws it was a passable experience. The end was just plain horrid though. So the supermutant whom you rescued from captivity and who is immune to radiation doesn't want to save the world because he thinks it your destiny to die? Thanks a lot buddy, now get in there before I blast your kneecaps off!

V.A.T.S. is retarded, it doesn't emulate turnbased combat at all and at best feels like a built in cheat mode, especially once you get the level 20 perk that restores all your action points if you kill an enemy in combat.

Speaking of which, I hit level 20 pretty damn early in the game, making combat and the god damn lockpicking and hacking mini-games even more pointless time sinks. At least with lockpicking I found a cheat that gives you a 100% chance to force locks open, saving me some time. Mini-games can be OK when they're not forced upon you, clearly not the case here.

The character system is completely broken, with the fucking bobbleheads and the perks that let you raise your stat points you'll most likely end up with someone maxed out in at least all relevant skills.

Silly weapons like the Rock-it-launcher...

Bad dialogue, where the [intelligence] answer many times feel dumber, or at least exactly the same, as the regular response.

Three fucking dog

OK, better?

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Syraxith

Novice
So if Vault 101 in the experiment was never supposed to open again, than why did they let Liam Neeson and his rat in?

So many fucking plot holes.

edit: Unless I missed something.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hobo Elf said:
Major_Boobage said:

No it isn't. It's fucking shit as a FPS or any other kind of action game for that matter.
If you say so. You sound like a very knowledgeable guy, so you probably know what you're talking about.

Vibalist

Arcane
Good game. I encountered a bug that fucked up the slaver quest and didn't have the patience to go all the way back, but the 20+ hours I put into it were well spent.

I love Fallout 3. Some things could be better, the world could be more responsive to your reputation, but all in all, it got many, many things right. I personally think it had the Fallout feel to it, the combat and VATS was fun, treking through DC and the Wasteland was great, and the quests were very well made. The main story also wasn't a "RUSH OUT AND DO IT BEFORE THE WORLD ENDS" type of thing like in Oblivion, so it made sense to explore on your own.

I was positively surprised by it.

Luzur

Good Sir
i could have kinda enjoyed it more if it didnt have the "Fallout 3" on it and didnt have any connections at all with the Fallout franschise.

that is what i feel is the real shitty part about it.

and 3-Dog.

Vault Dweller said:
Hobo Elf said:
Major_Boobage said:

If you say so. You sound like a very knowledgeable guy, so you probably know what you're talking about.

Errr...you aren't actually defending it's merits as an action game are you? I mean, it did a few things right, but that was not one of them.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Major_Boobage said:
Its a bad bad bad game, horrible main quest for starters.

You've probably meant 1st person action game (or you're just posting some random bulshit without having any knowledge about the game). 3rd person perspective is completely unplayable because you don't shoot where you aim and you have to watch these crappy animations. And, whether bad or good, Fo3 is an (action) RPG.

Edit:
or you're just posting some random bullshit without having any knowledge about the game
Major_Boobage wrote
No, it's impossible. Such a respectable poster would never do that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Vault Dweller said:
Hobo Elf said:
Major_Boobage said:

Errr...you aren't actually defending it's merits as an action game are you?
Am I?

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Jim Cojones said:
Major_Boobage said:
Its a bad bad bad game, horrible main quest for starters.

You've probably meant 1st person action game (or you're just posting some random bulshit without having any knowledge about the game). 3rd person perspective is completely unplayable because you don't shoot where you aim and you have to watch these crappy animations. And, whether bad or good, Fo3 is an (action) RPG.

Edit:
or you're just posting some random bullshit without having any knowledge about the game
Major_Boobage wrote
No, it's impossible. Such a respectable poster would never do that.

Yes i meant 1th person, a mistake. It happens to the best of us.

FO3 is an action shooter with a little RPG influence sauce over it. It's okay as enjoyable for a while in that aspect. It's not a great game in any gameuniverse.

Helton

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Vault Dweller said:
Hobo Elf said:
Major_Boobage said:

Errr...you aren't actually defending it's merits as an action game are you?
Am I?

Aren't you?

Chefe

Erudite
Azael said:
Chefe said:
http://coreygilmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg[img][/quote]

Really? I had no idea...[/quote]

Awesome. Well, now you know!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom