Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Lays of Evenheart - Vapourware

AdolfSatan

Arcane
It's nice to see an indie dev showing a clear roadmap for a change, I'm totally down for the alpha. Will you post it here, regardless of the reminder? I don't think I wanna have any of my emails listed by a codexer (nothing personal, mind you).

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
It's nice to see an indie dev showing a clear roadmap for a change, I'm totally down for the alpha. Will you post it here, regardless of the reminder? I don't think I wanna have any of my emails listed by a codexer (nothing personal, mind you).

Yeah of course, and I'll do my best to make sure it's a web demo so you don't have to download anything.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Brutality: Choice and Consequence. Women, elves and dwarves face constant restrictions (but they have their own advantages too). Death is quick and irreversible, you cannot reload old saves. Death is permanent, no second chances.

You SHOULD avoid combat at all costs in my game, it isn't like how you kill hundreds of enemies in what's been a month of in-game time. The average player might only get into a handful of fights in an in-game lifetime. And if you die, you'll play as your heir. So it's not necessarily game over.

So if you should avoid combat, what is the game about exactly?
It's a kind of ultima online except offline where you craft all day long?

I've heard of something like that, let me think... Yes! That's called work!

More seriously, i would play it i life as an adventurer is still possible even if it's hard, i'm not going to play your e-farm 2.0.

Also, about your "legacy system", do the child gets some bonuses?
It would be nice if you could get better bonuses after a couple of generations to make it viable to explore the world and annihilate life, a kind of real life simulation experience. ;-)
I know, one track mind...

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
So if you should avoid combat, what is the game about exactly?
It's a kind of ultima online except offline where you craft all day long?

I've heard of something like that, let me think... Yes! That's called work!

More seriously, i would play it i life as an adventurer is still possible even if it's hard, i'm not going to play your e-farm 2.0.

Also, about your "legacy system", do the child gets some bonuses?
It would be nice if you could get better bonuses after a couple of generations to make it viable to explore the world and annihilate life, a kind of real life simulation experience. ;-)
I know, one track mind...

The game is about experiencing life in the lays of Evenheart! I can only imagine what the game feels like, it's something I'm discovering myself.

The good news for you is that time moves FAST for non-combat characters. A lifetime can be over in 5 minutes if you live a safe boring life. It can take hours if you live an interesting adventurous life.

The generational bonuses would be:
  • the educations your previous character could afford for you
  • the quality of your upbringing
    • you insisting on the adventurer life = less time with your kids = poorer quality upbringing = bad character traits
  • the wealth you’ve inherited from your parents, split between you and your siblings

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Come on, not even an attribute bonus here and there?
Life is unfair, even if you can lose the lottery sometimes with the best breeders parents, you're more likely to be tall, handsome, dexterous and intelligent if your parents were.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Come on, not even an attribute bonus here and there?
Life is unfair, even if you can lose the lottery sometimes with the best breeders parents, you're more likely to be tall, handsome, dexterous and intelligent if your parents were.

Yeah I forgot about that. Some traits are genetic and those will come from parents. Intelligence and Attractiveness are untrainable skills that you inherit from your parents. Intelligence increases exp gain in all mental skills, Attractiveness increases exp gain in all physical skills.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Is STR affected by sex?

Males receive 3x as much strength exp as females.

Do the females get anything as a compensation?

Females receive 3x as much charisma exp as males. But they can't be compared in terms of stat differences alone because the world treats males and females differently. I can't go into more detail because these differences haven't been implemented yet, they're just plans.

Norfleet

[*]Recruit party members.
[*]Wander around looking for fights and exploring the land, discovering new villages and towns along the way.
[*]Get a job, find a wife, and raise a family.
These features don't really work together, man. "Wander around looking for fights" is murderhoboism. Murderhobos don't have jobs. They probably also don't have wives, instead just banging bitches in every town and then escaping the next day. At best, those women might try hitting them up for child support, but in an environment without a legal system that can enforce this, well...at least it's a possible cash sink.

Plus, these two concepts are basically totally opposite in gameplay. Either you wander around getting into fights, or you live a sedentary existence as a villager doing a village job. Developing both directions at once means whichever path you choose cuts off half the game.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What races do you plan to make playable and will there be a lifespan difference between them?

If there is lifespan difference then will you compensate races with shorter lifespan with higher xp rates or something else?

Also do you have any plans for mod support?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
What races do you plan to make playable and will there be a lifespan difference between them?
At least elves and dwarves, planning for more.
If there is lifespan difference then will you compensate races with shorter lifespan with higher xp rates or something else?
I'm not sure balancing that them should be the goal! Elves live for 300-400 years compared to the human 50-90. That's a lot more time to develop skills and to use them. I figure I'll just see how overpowered they end up being and how everyone feels about them, maybe they'll just be the 'easy difficulty' race. Or I'll end up balancing them somehow.
Also do you have any plans for mod support?
Nope.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
This is one of the first things that first-time players will see. Like Age of Decadence I want a pop-up message telling them to do away with learnt behaviours that have been reinforced by all the other RPGs they've ever played.

Let me know what you guys think, need to hit that crucial balance of preparing noobs for the coming horrors but not scaring them away either.

Screen-Shot-2021-10-10-at-4-17-34-pm.png

curds

Magister
You should change the text to be not so similar to aod, but yeah, cool idea.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This looks like it may be the best game made in a very long time. Your enthusiasm is infectious and the acknowledgment of making the game ultimately for yourself is most reassuring.

Norfleet

I'm not sure balancing that them should be the goal! Elves live for 300-400 years compared to the human 50-90. That's a lot more time to develop skills and to use them. I figure I'll just see how overpowered they end up being and how everyone feels about them, maybe they'll just be the 'easy difficulty' race. Or I'll end up balancing them somehow.
Given that this is a single player game, "balancing" is probably both unnecessary and counterproductive. It does not really matter if one option is easier or more powerful than another, as long as all of them are interesting to play. Make sure the different races have different playstyles and themes, and it won't matter if one happens to be easier. Imbalance is only a problem if it makes the other options uninteresting, or if they directly compete against each other.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
"wasn't built with the player's experience in mind."

Then why the fuck would I want to play it? I get what you're going at, but you may wanna rephrase it.

Norfleet

No, I think he means exactly what he means. This is a product of autism and whether or not you will actually enjoy this as a game is entirely irrelevant.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
"wasn't built with the player's experience in mind."

Then why the fuck would I want to play it? I get what you're going at, but you may wanna rephrase it.

Yeah so many games nowadays come with a little snowflake blurb, that this actually harcore and stuff. Just copy a better written one.
Age of Decadence, Vagrus the Riven Realms are the ones I can remember having one from the top of my head, but others probably have them aswell.
Or just leave it to the wayside, Battle Brothers for example does not have such a blurb either, and is absolutely brutal and treats your group like just another mercenary group which may die fast if you play on medium/medium/medium/ironman.
The people playing indie grid based rpgs are a rather specific group anyway, and one often accustomed to difficulty. The blurb is a bit of a waste of time.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Battle Brothers for example does not have such a blurb either
Yeah, it does (They also have tutorial videos too. Plus loading tips that talk about the difficulty):
xx9KBfF.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom