Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Lays of Evenheart - fantasy life sim with turn based combat

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Tavernking, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Developer

Tavernking
    The public alpha is coming in early 2022. It’ll only be available for two weeks, sign up here if you want a reminder!

What will be in the alpha?
    • Character creation
    • Basic combat system
    • Early crude tutorial storyline
      • this is just a few minutes long, as the game is all about the world not revolving around you and how you’re just a guest in these harsh lands. Also, the tutorial isn’t ‘safe’, you’re just as likely to end up as an ogre’s next meal in the tutorial as you are in the real game.
    • Recruit party members.
    • Wander around looking for fights and exploring the land, discovering new villages and towns along the way.
    • Get a job, find a wife, and raise a family.

What won’t be in the alpha?
    • Magic
      • implementing spells and their visual effects will take a lot of time, I’m leaving most of that work for a later version
    • Special enemy types
      • bandits, kobolds, goblins and orcs are easy to program and can inherit the same AI. Dragons, zombies, giant spiders etc require more individual attention and time.
    • Playable females and other races
      • creating a new race/gender combo is a lot more work than just making some graphics and changing some numbers. Your race and gender fundamentally change the way the game is played.
    • Quests
    • Business and homestead management
    • Playing as your children after your death
    • Destructible (burnable) battlefields
    • A bunch of areas on the overworld map
      • numerous types of dungeons, places to work, elven and dwarven settlements, wizard paladin and cleric academies, and many more interesting features
    • Much more

I can’t stress enough how this isn’t promotional, but purely for accumulating desperately needed feedback to build the game with. I’m doing a lot of weird things in my game and that means there’s a ton of risk. As much of a hobby project as this is, I’d still like to make back the cost of developing the game, which means selling a few hundred copies at least.

So the development plan is as follows:
    • Public alpha, free, get feedback on the game’s core systems, available for 2 weeks
      • launch discord server, steam store page, trailer all around this time too. Start marketing like a madman.
    • Private beta, $15, get feedback, a proper ‘early access’ experience, available for the months leading up to the Steam release
    • Steam release, $15

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. AdolfSatan Magister

AdolfSatan
    It's nice to see an indie dev showing a clear roadmap for a change, I'm totally down for the alpha. Will you post it here, regardless of the reminder? I don't think I wanna have any of my emails listed by a codexer (nothing personal, mind you).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Developer

Tavernking
    Yeah of course, and I'll do my best to make sure it's a web demo so you don't have to download anything.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    So if you should avoid combat, what is the game about exactly?
    It's a kind of ultima online except offline where you craft all day long?

I've heard of something like that, let me think... Yes! That's called work!

More seriously, i would play it i life as an adventurer is still possible even if it's hard, i'm not going to play your e-farm 2.0.

Also, about your "legacy system", do the child gets some bonuses?
    It would be nice if you could get better bonuses after a couple of generations to make it viable to explore the world and annihilate life, a kind of real life simulation experience. ;-)
    I know, one track mind...

^ Top  
  5. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Developer

Tavernking
    The game is about experiencing life in the lays of Evenheart! I can only imagine what the game feels like, it's something I'm discovering myself.

The good news for you is that time moves FAST for non-combat characters. A lifetime can be over in 5 minutes if you live a safe boring life. It can take hours if you live an interesting adventurous life.

The generational bonuses would be:
    • the educations your previous character could afford for you
    • the quality of your upbringing
      • you insisting on the adventurer life = less time with your kids = poorer quality upbringing = bad character traits
    • the wealth you’ve inherited from your parents, split between you and your siblings

^ Top  
  6. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Come on, not even an attribute bonus here and there?
    Life is unfair, even if you can lose the lottery sometimes with the best breeders parents, you're more likely to be tall, handsome, dexterous and intelligent if your parents were.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Developer

Tavernking
    Yeah I forgot about that. Some traits are genetic and those will come from parents. Intelligence and Attractiveness are untrainable skills that you inherit from your parents. Intelligence increases exp gain in all mental skills, Attractiveness increases exp gain in all physical skills.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi
  9. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Developer

Tavernking
    Males receive 3x as much strength exp as females.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Do the females get anything as a compensation?

^ Top  
  11. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    I like that, I'll try it out after release.

^ Top  
  12. Acrux Erudite

Acrux
    A generally lowered set of expectations from the world?

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Developer

Tavernking
    Females receive 3x as much charisma exp as males. But they can't be compared in terms of stat differences alone because the world treats males and females differently. I can't go into more detail because these differences haven't been implemented yet, they're just plans.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    These features don't really work together, man. "Wander around looking for fights" is murderhoboism. Murderhobos don't have jobs. They probably also don't have wives, instead just banging bitches in every town and then escaping the next day. At best, those women might try hitting them up for child support, but in an environment without a legal system that can enforce this, well...at least it's a possible cash sink.

Plus, these two concepts are basically totally opposite in gameplay. Either you wander around getting into fights, or you live a sedentary existence as a villager doing a village job. Developing both directions at once means whichever path you choose cuts off half the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What races do you plan to make playable and will there be a lifespan difference between them?

If there is lifespan difference then will you compensate races with shorter lifespan with higher xp rates or something else?

Also do you have any plans for mod support?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. GrafvonMoltke Shoutbox Purity League

GrafvonMoltke
    I don't even like fantasy and this looks cool as fuck.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Developer

Tavernking
    At least elves and dwarves, planning for more.
    I'm not sure balancing that them should be the goal! Elves live for 300-400 years compared to the human 50-90. That's a lot more time to develop skills and to use them. I figure I'll just see how overpowered they end up being and how everyone feels about them, maybe they'll just be the 'easy difficulty' race. Or I'll end up balancing them somehow.
    Nope.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Developer

Tavernking
    This is one of the first things that first-time players will see. Like Age of Decadence I want a pop-up message telling them to do away with learnt behaviours that have been reinforced by all the other RPGs they've ever played.

Let me know what you guys think, need to hit that crucial balance of preparing noobs for the coming horrors but not scaring them away either.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. curds Prophet

curds
    You should change the text to be not so similar to aod, but yeah, cool idea.

^ Top  
  20. unseeingeye Cleric/Mage Patron

unseeingeye
    Strap Yourselves In
    This looks like it may be the best game made in a very long time. Your enthusiasm is infectious and the acknowledgment of making the game ultimately for yourself is most reassuring.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Given that this is a single player game, "balancing" is probably both unnecessary and counterproductive. It does not really matter if one option is easier or more powerful than another, as long as all of them are interesting to play. Make sure the different races have different playstyles and themes, and it won't matter if one happens to be easier. Imbalance is only a problem if it makes the other options uninteresting, or if they directly compete against each other.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. AdolfSatan Magister

AdolfSatan
    "wasn't built with the player's experience in mind."

Then why the fuck would I want to play it? I get what you're going at, but you may wanna rephrase it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    No, I think he means exactly what he means. This is a product of autism and whether or not you will actually enjoy this as a game is entirely irrelevant.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. AdolfSatan Magister

AdolfSatan
    Oh, I know. But if he's trying to sell it nonetheless, word choice is important.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Thac0 Time Mage Patron

Thac0
    Yeah so many games nowadays come with a little snowflake blurb, that this actually harcore and stuff. Just copy a better written one.
    Age of Decadence, Vagrus the Riven Realms are the ones I can remember having one from the top of my head, but others probably have them aswell.
    Or just leave it to the wayside, Battle Brothers for example does not have such a blurb either, and is absolutely brutal and treats your group like just another mercenary group which may die fast if you play on medium/medium/medium/ironman.
    The people playing indie grid based rpgs are a rather specific group anyway, and one often accustomed to difficulty. The blurb is a bit of a waste of time.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.