Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Least hated RPGs of 2020 (poll)

V_K

Arcane
Because the more polls, the merrier!
Since we can all agree it's been a rather crappy year (and because it's just more fun), it makes sense to vote not for the best RPG but for the least bad one. For a properly objective measure, let's use the following methodology:

1. Name up to three RPGs released in 2020 you hated the most. You don't have to have played them (although that helps) - sometimes it's enough to look at a game's screenshots or videos, or know the developer's track record to realize you're going to hate it.

2. Name up to five RPGs released in 2020 you have played and didn't hate. Not necessarily your favorite or even good, just the ones you found the least offensive.

The hate rating will then be calculated by dividing the number of hate votes by the number of total votes (hate + non-hate). This is to account for (lack of) popularity, as some games may receive few hate votes simply because too few people played them. The game with the smallest rating wins!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Marvel's Avengers. Never played it, hated it with a passion.

The same goes for Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, since this is not about good or bad games, I won't list objectively shit titles like Element Space or Aeronautica Imperialis.

Most hated:

1. Chimera Divercity Squad.
Did not play. Hate it for dragging TB tactics, I would otherwise play, into inclusivity circlejerk.

2. AC: Valhalla
Did not play. Hate it for modern-raping one of my favorite settings.

3. Last of Us 2.
Did not play it or the first game, so I don't care for story/characters, I don't even care if it's not an rpg for this list,
but I hate it for it's effect on industry's perception of what is "successful" game.

Least Hated.
Unlike the most hated, games in this list mostly correlate with the most played and liked.

1. Troubleshooter.
2. Dungeon of Naheulbeuk.
3. WL3
4. Othercide
5. Greedfall

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Most Hated
Chimera : VN hybrid with dumbed down tactics and breach gimmick, the story is retarded from the start but the combat is decent at first, until the breach gimmick gets tiring.
Cyberpunk : Visual Novel/FPS hybrid labelled RPG, shouldn't be on any RPG related list but hey, the prestigious codex will rate it in their top 3, fabulous...
Dungeon of Naheulbeuk : There is worse than this one but i played it and can't ignore how bad are the humor and the tutorial.

Least Hated
Wasteland 3
Wasteland remaster

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I don't know if they are exactly from 2020 but my least hated are:
Cthulhu Saves Christmas
Hylics 2
Wasteland 3

Most hated:
Cyberpunk 2077
Hades
Final Fantasy VII Remake

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Cyberpunk 2077 - the only RPG released in 2020 that I've played, so it's the one I hated the most. Even if I had played more, I didn't particularly like it.
2. N/A

Gregz

Arcane
  1. The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos
  2. Chronicon
  3. Hades
  4. Erannorth Reborn
  5. Fallout 76 Wastelanders expansion, during the period of Spring 2020 (FO76 has been reverted back to shit since then, based on what I've read)
Those are in personal order of awesomeness. Some of those may or may not be RPGs, according to somebody's arbitrary definition of the genre, don't care.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hated:
Valhalla
Cyberpunk
Zero Dawn

None of these games come close to being even an rpg, so even the mere inclusion in the RPG GotY poll is wrong.

Didn't hate:
Naheulbeuk
Fae Tactics
Wasteland 3
Yakuza 7
Moon Remix RPG (This poll is not restricted to PC only, if ports to English for the first time do not count substitute with FF VII Re)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most hated:
1. Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - left early access, what a POS
2. World of Warcraft: Shadowlands - when will they let this thing die?
3. Vaporum: Lockdown - real time grid dancers should go away forever.

Least hated:
1. Cyberpunk 2077 (included by others' definitions, seriously though, this isn't an RPG)
2. Dungeon of Naheulbeuk
3. Troubleshooter
4. Hades
5. Langrisser I & II (port and remaster)

Generic-Giant-Spider

Didn't like Hades at all and don't think it deserves the high praise it has gotten. Way too heavy on the quirky shit and the art style is unsightly.

Waste of a good game title if ya ask me.

Jabata

Novice
Most hated:

The game has a relatively stable fan base and Shadowlands even sold 300 000 more copies than BFA, and in all honesty BFA was a bit underwhelming to say the least. That being said, it is safe to assume the interest in the game is growing. I don't know why you hate in ot it though. I am yet to find a "WOW is better than every game in the world" person and most people that play it do play the game exclusively. If you are hating on what they have done with the story...then yes, I agree it could've been written somewhat better but as the saying goes "If you don't like it - don't buy it".

As for the games.

Most hated:

Cyberpunk 2077 - there is nothing much to say about the game. It wasn't finished, had a lot of bugs and everything that's been said so far. Apart from this, I just found it boring. The story is captivating in the beginning and even manages to keep you quite entertained for the first 10 hours but then everything just becomes repetitive and bland. If I wanted such experience I would've bought Laxius Force for 4 EUR. It still gets boring and repetitive even faster however the games costs around 4 EUR.

AC Valhalla - I didn't play the game but after the Ezio's saga everything went downhill hard and fast.

Least hated:

Hades - Gameplaywise it reminded me more of Total Carnage then anything else but what was really captivating is the artwork and the qiurky chats you have with others.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most hated:

The game has a relatively stable fan base and Shadowlands even sold 300 000 more copies than BFA, and in all honesty BFA was a bit underwhelming to say the least. That being said, it is safe to assume the interest in the game is growing. I don't know why you hate in ot it though. I am yet to find a "WOW is better than every game in the world" person and most people that play it do play the game exclusively. If you are hating on what they have done with the story...then yes, I agree it could've been written somewhat better but as the saying goes "If you don't like it - don't buy it".

As for the games.

Sure, but this applies to basically everything in this thread (arguably this site/the entire internet), like so:

Most hated:

Cyberpunk 2077 - there is nothing much to say about the game. It wasn't finished, had a lot of bugs and everything that's been said so far. Apart from this, I just found it boring. The story is captivating in the beginning and even manages to keep you quite entertained for the first 10 hours but then everything just becomes repetitive and bland. If I wanted such experience I would've bought Laxius Force for 4 EUR. It still gets boring and repetitive even faster however the games costs around 4 EUR.

I don't know why you hate on this. It's an offering for an underserved genre and in fact if you have a non-potato PC, the bugs are minor at worst. Reception has been generally improving outside the realm of hysterical console peasants and even among them, there is a growing narrative that the 1.06 patch resolved many of the issues for them. But, as the saying goes, "If you don't like it - don't buy it."

AC Valhalla - I didn't play the game but after the Ezio's saga everything went downhill hard and fast.

Well, I don't see why you hate on this. This series has a loyal following and has for years and this installment is also about vikings which 9/10 gamers agree are awesome. Sure, the story may be a bit boring and it could've been a written somewhat better, but as the saying goes, "If you don't like it - don't buy it." And you didn't buy it, so why is this even in your post?

Jabata

Novice
My, oh my. The new saltmeter I have just installed blew up after seeing that post. You have to buy me a new one now. Judging by your attitude everything that I write in response to you would be spam and a fruitless waste of time but I guess there is nothing better that I can do right now.

Sure, but this applies to basically everything in this thread (arguably this site/the entire internet), like so:
I don't really understand what this is supposed to mean but judging by the negative connotation of your post, I would assume it is some sort of hate without any further reasoning. If that is the case - more power to you.

I don't know why you hate on this. It's an offering for an underserved genre and in fact if you have a non-potato PC, the bugs are minor at worst. Reception has been generally improving outside the realm of hysterical console peasants and even among them, there is a growing narrative that the 1.06 patch resolved many of the issues for them. But, as the saying goes, "If you don't like it - don't buy it."

Never did I say the bugs are major and the developers aren't working on resolving them. They were there, were annoying (like driving casually, hit a car and integrate into it forcing you to get a new vehicle or reload the game) and even if it wasn't a dealbreaker I found the game extremely repetitive, which was my main point. Further to this, the main character was not so versatile in terms of communication with the other characters and it becomes vexing. Unfortunately the game was overhyped and I decided to give it a chance even after all the negative reviews.

I like the fact that you keep on repeating "if you don't like it - don't buy it". My kid usually does that as it helps him learn new words and expressions and he is 2 years old. You would make a great debating partner.

Well, I don't see why you hate on this. This series has a loyal following and has for years and this installment is also about vikings which 9/10 gamers agree are awesome. Sure, the story may be a bit boring and it could've been a written somewhat better, but as the saying goes, "If you don't like it - don't buy it." And you didn't buy it, so why is this even in your post?

You were the one asking when will wow die, so the loyal following part doesn't really fit in. I am okay with the game having fans and being milked to the last drop, it is just no longer my cup of tea. The remainder looks again like a recycled version of my own post but I will still try to adress it without any prejudice. I have no idea about the story as you have so cleverly pointed out - I did not buy it. The opinion is based on AC III and black flag (with the latter being the better one), which I bought and played however the storywriting was duller and everything that was precieved as new and groundbreaking in the first games was getting old. They just kept on reusing old content and selling it with different backgrounds. For the "If you don't like it - don't buy it." - read above again. And for the last part why is this included in my post, well if you refer to the original post the condition is as follows "1. Name up to three RPGs released in 2020 you hated the most. You don't have to have played them (although that helps) " so it's not like I am breaking any rules, officer.

And just so this isn't considered a spam, I will include Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot in the most hated list. It is again a game I haven't played but so far the majority of the Dragon ball related games I played have failed to live up to the expectations. Feel free to not include this in the list as I am not sure if the codex even treats the game as RPG.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom