Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legacy of Kain blowjob thread

Reject_666_6

Arcane
How about some love for the series with better voice-acting that real life!

492426-egeye_super.jpg

Dire Roach

Prophet
Mikayel - I'm currently playing through the series thanks to your recommendation. I finished Blood Omen 1 and am currently near the end of Blood Omen 2. I've been playing the PC port versions. Thoughts:

Blood Omen 1:

-Mouse support would have been great to have for BO1 so it could be played Diablo-style. Keyboard-only controls weren't difficult to use but not very comfortable for long play sessions.

-Veeerrryyy slooooowwww movement (except in wolf form) and attack animations for an action-adventure game. I found myself often changing into wolf form and running past all the enemies because of this. There's no incentive for killing enemies anyway other than drinking blood to heal yourself or increasing the kill count.

-Art style is good, but the graphixxx have aged very poorly. Everything is horribly pixellated and it can be pretty difficult to notice buttons and switches on dungeon walls. I usually found them thanks to them having a different-colored glow than the rest of the normal dungeon lighting. The pre-rendered 3D cutscenes look funky since they're made in that particular primitive late 90s style, and Kain looks more monstrous than he does in BO2 thanks to it. :lol:

-Story was pretty good. I expected it to be extremely cliche'd but was pleasantly surprised by some of the twists. The atmosphere of dread and grittiness was very well done. The voice acting was good, though it sucked that the recordings were of such low audio quality.

-I was surprised that, for a game I began playing thinking it would be a Zelda clone, so many of the "big" items (melee weapons, armor, spells) were entirely optional. At first I thought the secrets were a bit too easy to find, but I finished the game with less than 40 out of 100. :oops: I realized near the end of the game that even though I felt I had explored and backtracked thoroughly, I had left entire world map areas unexplored.

Blood Omen 2:
-WASD+mouse control was better than keyboard alone, though it was a pretty retarded idea of them to set the left and right keys to "look" instead of "move". Default control scheme was so unintuitive I had to re-bind almost every key, though I guess that's standard procedure for every console port.

-:facepalm: at the combat targeting and blood draining mechanics. Having to hold down the target-lock button instead of making it toggle was stupid since you can't attack when you're not locked-on. This pretty much made it necessary to have the stupid "only one enemy attacking you at a time" AI. Having to hold down the button to bloodsuck only one enemy at a time and having to stand still through the sucking animation every single time was also stupid. Oh, and making the basic claws the fastest weapon in the game was stupid as well, since they allow you to easily interrupt an enemy's attack and make every other weapon pretty much inferior in comparison.

-Why is Kain's dodging ability so shitty? And if he can wield a massive axe easily with just one hand, why can't he rip off human heads with a normal grab? Why do weapons break so quickly while in your hands, but are indestructible while held by an enemy? How can a hobo just stand up and run away after getting impaled by a long sword?

-Art style is ok, though it feels a bit too comic-like/cartoonish compared to BO1. Story is much more leaning toward cliches in this game. It feels like it has a bit too many filler areas with dumb puzzles and recycled combat encounters. Why did they take out wolf and bat form and nerf mist form? Why did they make the game so linear? I can understand they built it upon the cancelled Chakan game, but even Chakan was non-linear!

tl;dr: Blood Omen 1 & 2 ports suffer from acute consolitis. BO1 is a rough gem, but BO2, although not an entirely bad game, feels too much like generic console trash.

TsongaKralj

Novice
@Dire Roach

Blood Omen 2 is widely considered as the worst LOK game,as far as I know it wasn't even designed by the same team that made SR1&2 and Defiance.

The game's not that bad(the fact that you control Kain voiced by Simon Templeman is enough to make the game bearable) but it's not up to the standard of the rest of LOK games,not to mention that it fucked up story big time and the next LOK game-Defiance had to end up covering a lot of plot holes,some of which are still left unanswered.

You're better off trying SR1 and 2,both games have way better dialogue,puzzles,atmosphere etc. I still consider SR1 to be the best in the series along with BO1 but SR2 has some pretty neat puzzles and storywise is probably the best part,problem is that it's very short.

Defiance is great for dialogue and story but to me it still feels like a big wasted potential.The puzzles are bad,combat can get repetitive and is too easy,Kain and Raziel play almost identically,camera sucks etc. I still had a lot of fun with the game but I'd put BO1,SR1 and SR2 above it.

spekkio

Arcane
Completed all games in series.
At the end the entire story is a big WTF LOL, but still, fun games to play.

I recommend PSX version of BO:LOK over the PC one - no compatibility issues, you can try different graphical plugins etc.

With a little help from internet guide I was able to complete BO:LOK with 100/100 secrets.

Shit was so cash...

:smug:

But the best game in the series is Soul Reaver IMO: empty world adds to the atmosphere.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Hell yeah.

Story was made up on the spot nonsense, but it still managed to be p. cool.

Raziel - "WHY KAIN WHY"
Kain - "For the lulz" :smug:

Kain is a true bro.

Archibald

Arcane
Ed123 said:
Raziel - "WHY KAIN WHY"

Kain - "For the lulz"

Where is ze spinning coin metaphor? :rpgcodex:

I loved the meta-narrative stringing the series together. Despite involving interdimensional travel and multiple alternate timelines, it still makes (near) perfect sense if you pay attention.

I had read some "plot analyzis" and wondered how many times do you have to finish each game to make sense out of it on your own :thumbsup:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
TsongaKralj said:
Blood Omen 2 is widely considered as the worst LOK game,as far as I know it wasn't even designed by the same team that made SR1&2 and Defiance.
BO2 had a strange and convoluted history, it wasn't even supposed to be a LOK game initially. Then the game it was supposed to be got cancelled, and lots of assets got converted into LOK. I think that's the main reason it feels off compared to the rest of the series.

Archibald

Arcane
I thought SR2, BO2 and Defiance explained it quite neatly, though there were a number of loose threads relating to the Hylden Prison.

Maybe if you play them in one go, otherwise details get lost, well for me at last, maybe you`re codexus superior :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
No, really, it was p. cool. That is, it kinda sucked as a LOK game, but it was an entertaining slasher with neat gothic atmosphere. I especially liked the city's design, with all the nazi Sarafan knights and forcefields (generally the technology) and shit. The wilderness areas were also kinda alien and otherworldly. Turning into a mist and stealth killing people was also p. cool.

And verdammt, Simon Templeman <3

spekkio

Arcane
I liked BO2 too. Not as a BO game, but as a game.
I have a shit taste in games, tho. :roll:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Archibald said:
Ed123 said:
Raziel - "WHY KAIN WHY"

Kain - "For the lulz"

Where is ze spinning coin metaphor? :rpgcodex:

I loved the meta-narrative stringing the series together. Despite involving interdimensional travel and multiple alternate timelines, it still makes (near) perfect sense if you pay attention.

I had read some "plot analyzis" and wondered how many times do you have to finish each game to make sense out of it on your own :thumbsup:

I used to read LoK fan forums back in the day where they discussed extensively all the plot threads in details. At first I thought it was cool, but then I started to think it was overdone - first because I do feel the writers just wrote shit on the spot, they didn't care to be anal about their setting (which works fine, but it doesn't work fine if you, as a fan, are going to be anal about it), although it's true that most of it is coherent and makes sense (but it doesn't have to, this isn't a mathematical equation - heads up to all the rationalist faggots out there). Second because I also feel it misses the point - if anything the series was cool for its characters, voice acting, and the general "feel" it gave (if not the "philosophical undertones" which would be downright pompous to say I assume but then I am a pompous man so I'm saying it anyway) tackled on to some cool art. Storyfag shit of course, but then, you can get raped.

Something like the begining of Soul Reaver 1, which I always remembered the line "the descent had destroyed me, and yet, I lived" rung in my head and still does, there's something to dig here as the plot moves on. Obviously you could say something about the amorality of the start of the series being turned into something ambiguously 'positive' (although maybe not, I can't remember the details of the plot)

Maybe it was just the supreme voice acting tho, but yeah

Murk

Arcane
spekkio said:
I recommend PSX version of BO:LOK over the PC one - no compatibility issues, you can try different graphical plugins etc.

BO1 especially, as it was designed for console and gamepad play... though if you're emulating I guess you still have the same drawbacks (although you could speed it up a bit)

With a little help from internet guide I was able to complete BO:LOK with 100/100 secrets.

Shit was so cash...

:smug:

Even the secret ship?

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.p ... ostcount=1

boship6.jpg

Dire Roach said:

Good, Good! I'm glad people are still giving this series love. I played BO1 on ps1 when it first came out and it quickly became one of my favourite and most replayed games as a child. I've nearly scoured every inch of the map and found every listed secret I had thought of save for a couple that I had to use a guide for -- the Lightning cave, the Lost island... and now, it seems, the ship...

There were times I'd literally walk through rivers to map out areas of the game world that were just dead-ends but I was raging out thinking there might be a secret, shit that kept getting confirmed every time I'd revisit an area I'd already revisited and still found new shit.

I too think BO2 was a rushed sort of tomb raider knockoff thing that isn't at all necessary for the actual series... but if taken out of context, it was an ok platformer/adventure/hack'n'slash game...

...and I did grow rather fond of stabbing enemies through the chest bare handed...

Zeus

Cipher
Anyone remember the awesome official online walkthrough Silicon Knights used to have? It covered everything, in way more detail than you'd expect from a freebie. There were screenshots galore!

I still have the archive.org backup URL around here somewhere. Could have kicked myself when they took it down, I didn't get a chance to make a full copy.

CrimHead

Scholar
SCO said:
http://home.comcast.net/~heavyweights/games/kain/index.htm

Unofficial blood omen 1 patch.

Pc only :smug: *

*Ok it fixes pc bugs and installs the game fully and a no-cd only.

FUCK

YEAR

NIKKUH

Time to replay this bitch. Props to ma boy for the link.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
My favourite secret was actually in Soul Reaver, where if you don't kill the first vampire hunter you see, later on all humans worship you as a saviour. Then they become small soul vending machines, just like the chained guys in Blood Omen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom