Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of You - Ultima VII-looking turn-based sandbox RPG by Brazilians

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

And also Ultima 7 camera. From Brazilian two-brother team Gamecraft Studios. Their other games don't convince me that they can pull off this big and ambitious kind of game, but well let's see.

ss_6b8f86bfa65afe5be4f4c678eb875a143bade842.1920x1080.jpg

ss_b996192ab573ceade38e933e8f0df9c79b64cafa.1920x1080.jpg

Demons, dragons, kings and all sorts of creatures live together in a world brimming with conflict. Secrets of the forgotten past still urge to be found by pirates and cultists. The language of the arcade slowly dies as the wizards distance themselves from men. Intrigues, desires, hearts and dreams are all tangled in this living world.

You find yourself among all this.
A young male human studying the arcane. Or perhaps a female orc wielding a giant's club; or even a high elf set to complete his elemental jewel collection.
As you journey across marshes and dungeons, frozen peaks and fiery depths; you will make friends and enemies, fight with powerful creatures, unravel royal conspiracies, find long-lost blueprints and craft items not seen for a generation and discover secrets that will forever change your game.

Your story will be unique.
Will you serve at the king's desire; or murder him in plain sight? Follow each quest's prescribed path, or push the boundaries of what can be done and come up with a unique way to play the game?
You are free to kill, talk to, help, hinder, trade, serve, betray and starve anyone in the world. But be wary, your actions will have deep consequences on how each character will interact with you.

Key Features
  • Open World: A deep handcrafted world where every character lives their lives and pursue their desires: from finding what to eat tomorrow; to destroying every elf in the world.
  • Sandbox: Play with and combine every mechanic at your disposal; discover emergent behavior and bend the simulation to your will.
  • RPG: Items, stats, skills and dialog parsers are all at your hand to role play different characters and builds.
  • Character Customization: You can be whoever you want: Human, Orc, Elf, Dwarf and much more. Change their color, hair, outfit, backstory and goal to make each character your own.
  • Crafting: From baking bread to forging a dragon-slaying hammer, the world is full of materials and blueprints for you to discover and craft with.
  • Turn-Based: With a Traditional Roguelike movement and combat, you will be able to make meaningful combat decisions. As you expand your skills, you will create more strategies to slay whoever stands in your way.
  • Survival: One does not simply walk into the freezing Crystal Lance without preparation. Learn to survive the most adverse conditions, keeping your moral and physical conditions high as enemies and locations hurt your body, mind and soul.
  • Story: Meet and talk to different characters in the world, from scheming peasants, to long-dead conquerors. Help them or stop them; every choice you make will write your story.
  • Pixel Graphics: Combining the look of the golden age of CRPGs with our own modern take, your story will be vividly rendered with beautiful pixel art.
You have already experienced the legend of several heroes.
Now it is time to make your own in Legend of You.

Why Early Access?
“With Legend of You, my brother and I set out to create the best turn-based RPG.
We have created a very polished and fun foundation for what we want the game to be, and now is the time to develop this core to its fullest. We know our complete vision for Legend of You can only be achieved by involving the players directly with the development, and that is why we are launching the game in Early Access.
We will be in Early Access for as long as it takes, updating the game every two weeks with new content, mechanics, game modes, fixes and of course, your own ideas.
The Early Access is an opportunity for you to get the game at a discount and help expand Legend of You into its full potential.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“We will be in Early Access for at least one year. The plan is to keep developing the game in Early Access for as long as it takes to fulfill our complete vision, while updating the game every two weeks with new content, mechanics, game modes, fixes and most importantly, player feedback.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“We plan to add a lot more content to the open world such as new regions, enemies, bosses, NPCs, quests, weapons, equipment, potions, runes, oils, gems, spells and skills. We will also add new game mechanics and expand existing ones, such as the crafting and enchantment systems and the character creator. We want to expand the sandbox interactivity by making NPCs more aware and responsive to the player's actions; as well as flesh out the combinatorics of the existing game systems, integrating the different aspects of the gameplay to allow players to come up with crazy and unpredictable strategies in the sandbox. We also plan to create new game modes, allowing you to experience the base gameplay in different ways.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Legend of You in its current state is very polished and has all the base ideas for what we want the game to be, but it lacks much content. Players will be able to enjoy the Open World sandbox, complete quests, find secrets, talk to and kill NPCs, unlock new skills, craft items and much more, though the world is not complete yet.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Yes. Early Access players will get the game at a lower price. We will gradually increase the price as we add more content and features until its full release.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“The main purpose of the Early Access is to involve the Community directly with the game's development.
To do this, my brother and I will be very active in the Steam forums and our Discord server. We want your feedback on balance, bugs, content, mechanics, features and crazy ideas.
To incorporate the Community's suggestions as well as our own ideas into the game, there will be updates every two weeks. We strongly encourage you to engage with us on the Steam forums and on our Discord so you can be part of the development as well.”

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Right interpretation of the buzzwords here, handcrafted open-world, sandbox means you deal with the actual obstacles your own way ... + turn-based combat (and mention of dialog parser but I'm not certain of what they mean here). Following.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I noticed they really make sure you see the gridlines. That's fine if the tactical features are really good. Steam? Again? Ugh!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They changed the engine to... Unreal?: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1644260/announcements/detail/5017557076668337965

Legend of You is now being developed on Unreal Engine

Hey everyone! We are excited to share some big news about Legend of You!

We have started developing Legend of You building our own engine. We figured it would be the best way to go since we are developing a huge open world pixel art game.

But as we moved further in the development, we started to feel the need to have other programmers and game designer to join our team to help us develop the game. And because of that, we started to consider moving the game to a commercial engine, so it would be easier to find other people to join the team.

One thing we knew for sure, we want to make the best game we could. So, changing the engine, could not interfere on the game's quality. We started testing on Unreal Engine (the same engine we released our first and biggest game, Eliosi's Hunt) and we fell in love with the idea of developing Legend of You there! There are several open world and gameplay features that the engine provides that will help us make Legend of You awesome!

So, we are excited to say that Legend of You is now being developed on Unreal! We believe that this change will enable us to grow our team and make the game even better!

Stay tuned for future updates!
Cheers,
Tiago

That's interesting choice for a retro-looking 2D game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm more interested in its sequel "Legend of Urmom".

Uh what? Maybe for a UU clonish thing.

I was looking at the steampage again and the animation are stiff and bunny bouncy. They need more frames eventually. That intial chat between the king & player looked like a choice 1 or 2 rather than type in anything. Its early and has continual player input so give it time maybe?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
They changed the engine to... Unreal?: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1644260/announcements/detail/5017557076668337965

Legend of You is now being developed on Unreal Engine

Hey everyone! We are excited to share some big news about Legend of You!

We have started developing Legend of You building our own engine. We figured it would be the best way to go since we are developing a huge open world pixel art game.

But as we moved further in the development, we started to feel the need to have other programmers and game designer to join our team to help us develop the game. And because of that, we started to consider moving the game to a commercial engine, so it would be easier to find other people to join the team.

One thing we knew for sure, we want to make the best game we could. So, changing the engine, could not interfere on the game's quality. We started testing on Unreal Engine (the same engine we released our first and biggest game, Eliosi's Hunt) and we fell in love with the idea of developing Legend of You there! There are several open world and gameplay features that the engine provides that will help us make Legend of You awesome!

So, we are excited to say that Legend of You is now being developed on Unreal! We believe that this change will enable us to grow our team and make the game even better!

Stay tuned for future updates!
Cheers,
Tiago

That's interesting choice for a retro-looking 2D game.
Ugh, the modern "WOW, SO EXCITED" fake way of talking that only existed in Hollywood at first, but now it's just old. Why use it? Are you that bad at just talking to your fanbase?

I very much doubt you "FELL IN LOVE" with UE4's 2d capabilities. Out of the box, they are barely existent. There was just one dude working on Paper2D official plugin years ago, but was moved to something else before finishing even half of it. And that's all UE4 can do for you.

Sacibengala

Prophet
As a brazillian myself, I hope they're not taking tibia as reference for doing this. Not a lot of people in here (Brasil) plays good rpgs, or even knows about them. Every now and then I talk about Ultima 7 with someone and they're like "wow, looks like a worse tibia" and I die a little inside. Hopes that they know what they're doing, it would give me some joy, that's for sure.

Looks interesting, I guess it will end up having good gameplay but the story will be just painfully generic. Also, "The Legend of You" is a terrible name, sounds like the title to a steam game that revolves around a cheap gimmick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom