Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2019/08/19/legends-of-amberland-version-1-12/

Legends of Amberland version 1.12

Version 1.12 released

Technical update, several 3rd party libraries were updated to the newest versions also a few interface tweaks and minor fixes. Note that if you experience any technical problems (which might be possible since in this version many libraries were changed) you can roll back to the old version via Steam/Beta branch system (also please report that you experienced problems).

– [misc] Technical upgrade. Now the application should launch faster.
– [misc] Adjusted some audio files.
– [misc] Added to Wizard’s Council quest tooltip tips about location of Council Members.

– [balance] Champion’s Helmet encumbrance reduced by 1 (Champion was staring over encumbered due to starting equipment encumbrance which was very confusing).

– [interface] Added Over Encumbered warning to both Damage and Arcane tooltips (since those are affected by it).
– [interface] Fixed map buttons showing on the map area in some resolutions.
– [interface] Fixed game over & congratulate screens so the “Back to Main Menu” button does not cover the “Quests completed” on some resolutions.

– [fix] Elfengard was giving a second Council Letter after the quest was finished.
– [fix] Other tiny low priority technical fixes (not affecting the gameplay).

LoA_screenshot_v1.12.0-300x169.png

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm almost finished with the game, I completed all the main quests. I have a few questions about the remaining side quests I have:

- where do I find the betrothal ring for the shy knight?
- where do I find the 3rd, unknown clue about the elven sword? I want to finish all sidequests so this drives me nuts :D

Without helping the elves I cannot get the elven ship and explore the rest of the world. Oh also how on earth do you get into the tower in the northern area, the one that has mountain surrounding all of it's sides?
Someone please help meeee

Thanks

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I'm almost finished with the game, I completed all the main quests. I have a few questions about the remaining side quests I have:

- where do I find the betrothal ring for the shy knight?
- where do I find the 3rd, unknown clue about the elven sword? I want to finish all sidequests so this drives me nuts :D

Without helping the elves I cannot get the elven ship and explore the rest of the world. Oh also how on earth do you get into the tower in the northern area, the one that has mountain surrounding all of it's sides?
Someone please help meeee

Thanks
The answer to all your problems is to visit the hut next to the tower in the northern area you mentioned :) I assume you have the Ice Scepter.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ohhhh!

Somehow I didn't think much of the frozen guy in the hut so I completely forgot about him. Thanks so much lol :)

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Balance discussion (post v1.00):

We have a discussion about balance on Steam forums right now: https://steamcommunity.com/app/873890/discussions/0/1643170903501388649/
I would like an input from you as well (note it's about the v1.00-v1.12 balance, disregard your impressions from the EA period, those are outdated).

So far it seems those things should be done (agree/disagree?):
* lowered MP cost for high level spells
* either lowered MP cost of offensive spells or increase damage from those (or both?)
* boost Wizard (how?)
* increase AOE spells damage compared to single target spells
* armor efficiency (reduction by 1 armor point) increased slightly (by 25%?)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Something that occurred to me is that I never upgraded my caster weapons the entire game. Nothing I found even matched, let alone beat the Arcane bonus from the starting gear.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Something that occurred to me is that I never upgraded my caster weapons the entire game. Nothing I found even matched, let alone beat the Arcane bonus from the starting gear.
My concept was that Wizards get their precious staffs when they become wizards and they never part with it. Literally no one got it/shared/understood the concept :(

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the balance is mostly right - nothing really stands out as broken, and for a game that's obviously not meant to be super-hardcore difficult, things are set up admirably well.

What I am finding WRT casters is that Lightning is the most reliable spell to cause high damage to single enemies. Few opponents have lightning resistance, and the MP cost / damage ratio is golden. I am in the late game stage, and Lightning is still my primary offensive spell. In healing, Power Heal comes just a bit late, maybe. None of this is a huge matter.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I agree with Melan, it's mostly right, outside of having to sleep/restore MP too often and the max difficulty with your tanks being OS all the time.

The game is good but when you make the sequel, please try to diversify monsters more, that's what makes ToEE amazing, finding a different monster every corner.

M&M and Wizardry series (and a lot of isometric cRPG) made dungeons very interesting by making them real and lively (layout, monsters diversity, bosses and mini-bosses, puzzles and riddles, secrets, lore), maybe you should take a small break to play or replay classics before starting the next one to see if it gives you some inspiration.

I didn't cross the desert yet but so far, it lacks all of the above, that's what makes the difference between good games and amazing games.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
[Bugbear theme begins playing]

And yet, if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know you can avoid almost all bugbear encounters, they won't even attack you outside of maybe 2/3 groups
- one group in the moat house (you can bribe/intimidate the other one)
- maybe the guard room on level 4 (high level bugbear and ogres)
- probably a bug but some guards outside of the fire headquarter attack on sight

Outside of that, there is some bugbear you want to kill, these are the high priest body-guards (if you decide to kill any for quests purpose or just to rob them blind) and the one from Hedrack & Iuz fight.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm only about midway, but could we get any type of crowd control or spell that neutralizes an enemy? Would love to put to sleep or paralyze some of those Champions in the Citadel of the Red Knight. Bloody green bastards.

By the way, different tints add some variety to the dungeon compositions. I like this one with the red-vein mixed into the texture.

egK4Qmy.jpg

The Monsters information button is a welcome feature. I should have screenshot this for every enemy. Would compile a nice bestiary.

A5YcI5N.jpg

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I'm only about midway, but could we get any type of crowd control or spell that neutralizes an enemy? Would love to put to sleep or paralyze some of those Champions in the Citadel of the Red Knight. Bloody green bastards.
Ranger's Stunt ability :)

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
[Bugbear theme begins playing]

And yet, if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know you can avoid almost all bugbear encounters, they won't even attack you outside of maybe 2/3 groups
- one group in the moat house (you can bribe/intimidate the other one)
- maybe the guard room on level 4 (high level bugbear and ogres)
- probably a bug but some guards outside of the fire headquarter attack on sight

Outside of that, there is some bugbear you want to kill, these are the high priest body-guards (if you decide to kill any for quests purpose or just to rob them blind) and the one from Hedrack & Iuz fight.
It's a meme you dip.

Dorateen

Arcane
This guy exemplifies the Dwarven spirit of fatalism, heroic tragedy and the significance of our ancestors.

htOcb9a.jpg

As a Troll Slayer, I swear the Khordin clan shall be avenged!

Legends of Amberland is a hard counter heaven. I think Josh Sawyer would have a conniption. It is very satisfying to enter a zone with monsters who can petrify characters, and swap out equipment for items that might be slightly inferior but offer complete immunity to a specific status effect.

Vrab

Learned
Hah what a cool game we got here.

My biggest gripe is damage on higher settings being too spikey, 2nd playthrough on hard difficulty reminded me of Diablo 3 inferno post release. One shots were very frequent, even with resists and the wizard's resist increase buff running when being hit by elemental aoes. And frontliners would get hit for like 1000+ dmg here and there. Idk how to deal with that other than rez the casualty. I mean it's true I wasn't maxing armour or hp on them and they were essentially dmg dealers, but idk how much armour rating and hp would I have to pile up to survive such hits or God forbid heal up in time for the next one.

Beside that, it would be nice if we got some debuffs and crowd control other than ranger's stun. We get hit by all those nasty paralyzes, petrifications, confusions etc and we can't return the favour. :argh:

Anyhow, overall impression is excellent. First blobber I've ever played beyond a few hours, and went on to finish it a second time. Stayed up until 4am once. Or twice.

:bro:

Vrab

Learned
Ok something weird happened with incoming damage.

At the end of the hard playthrough I tried killing the black dragon, it simply wasn't possible. His first aoe would decimate my back line, survivors would typically stay at 1 hp due to bard's ballad buff. They had about 220-240hp, appropriate resists were equipped, wizard's resist buff was up. Next turn would be game over. Even with the dragon weakness perk it was simply not possible to take him down in time before I get wiped out. Now I load the game, slip past him to the treasure room and bump into him on the way out. I did regear a bit, but my resists haven't changed much, in particular the back line that got wiped out so easily last night was sitting at pretty much exactly the same state. Except this time damage was managable, even front liners would get smacked by physical attack for only 1/2 or maybe bit more of their hp, last night they were getting one shot. I haven't seen any updates to the game. Is there some bug with resists not counting, maybe has to do with reequipping items or something? There aren't any strong monsters left for me to test against any more.

Edit

Or maybe not, now loaded both saves before and after I managed to slip through to the loot and I get wiped out just the same, his first attack on the attempt when dmg was managable was fire aoe, and its dmg was low. Now fire, cold and acid are wiping me out just like they used to, with resists and all. Also front line getting hit by 1600 physical dmg single target. Even saw a 2000. It's definitely drastically different to what happened a bit earlier, but same as yesterday.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
So, I still haven't jumped back into the game, but has anyone managed to kill that darned black dragon?

Dorateen

Arcane
I came across the black dragon's cave the other day. Our party has other pressing matters to deal with. We will return...

Although it was funny, we were able to slip in and nick the treasure from the old wyrm. He probably won't be happy to see us.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The Black Dragon is pretty tough. The key is not getting your casters one-shotted by its AoE breath. I respecced my casters into full Toughness, equipped everyone for full resistances and used my wizard's Amplify Resistance spell. I learned the secret to fighting dragons as well. Then I was lucky enough to sneak past the Black Dragon and loot the high level armor from his treasure before fighting him.

Vrab

Learned
With dragon weakness perk it's not impossible on hard, but took some rng luck in my case with bard's ballad for survival. What I still don't get is why did I receive so little damage on that one attempt vs every other attempt. I imagine something was bugged that time. Idk how it is on insane, I never got far enough into the game on that playthrough because it was just too tedious in general.

Speaking of which, is it just me or do enemies not get any extra hp on insane difficulty? Cba chacking now but I'd swear it said they should. Imo having them have more hp but do less extreme dmg would make the higher difficulties way more enjoyable. As it is, normal is too easy, hard is a tad annoying but overall good and insane isn't fun at all.

Oh also, what is the actual difference between bard and troubadour?

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
sneak past the Black Dragon and loot the high level armor from his treasure before fighting him
Players... the designer might craft it all carefully but then players do such immoral things :) Always, they always do it :D

Speaking of which, is it just me or do enemies not get any extra hp on insane difficulty? Cba chacking now but I'd swear it said they should. Imo having them have more hp but do less extreme dmg would make the higher difficulties way more enjoyable.
The idea (and a popular request by the players) was to not inflate monsters HP at higher diffuclties so the combat would not drag too long. So, I did the damage boost instead. It all sounded logical but it kind of didn't worked out too well :D

I think in the next version (1.13) I will rebalance it for a more traditional approach (high HP instead of high damage).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom