Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I need to ponder on those longer...

I'm especially interested in the right menu changes ("quick actions you can set how you like", etc) so if you have more details on those, post. Feel free to approach it from two angles (LoA and sequels) if you wish. Overall, I'm always receptive to UI adjustments ideas :)

Also, about "Keys remapping overwrite", does anyone else find it worth implementing?

Same for "friendly houses MP restoration" as an option, anyone else finds it worth it?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I need to ponder on those longer...

I'm especially interested in the right menu changes ("quick actions you can set how you like", etc) so if you have more details on those, post. Feel free to approach it from two angles (LoA and sequels) if you wish. Overall, I'm always receptive to UI adjustments ideas

I'll launch Amberland again tonight and see if anything else comes up to improve the UI.

As for the Amberland and sequels approach, i think pushing the mechanics deeper could improve the game

Character development

Some kind of feats (D&D like), perks (Fallout-like) or skills/combat skills would be nice:
  • A D&D feat that would work well, for example is cleave
  • Some feats/perks giving flat bonuses to healing spells would be nice.
  • Some perks/feats increasing minimum damage for spells or just one spell.
  • Or even a perk decreasing maximum damage for a particular spell but increasing the minimum damage by 3 times that amount. (or 2 times and then another to bring it to 3)
  • Some ways to increase the special skill uses per rest
Familiars for some mage classe(s) (possibly either this or power increase feats)

- Instead of the useless D&D familiar, you could go for familiars increasing their usefulness as the character (or the familiar with a different xp count/gain) level up.
- Familiar are invoked again when you rest in a safe environment (Inns, ...? )
- A shield familiar getting hit instead of his master until the familiar HP drops to 0.
- A familiar throwing some special short duration buffs (for the combat or just 1/2 hours) every once in a while on the party or debuffs on your foes.
- A familiar focusing the mage powers (slight damage increase for spells) and or giving some mana regeneration but being targeted my enemies AoE spells and healed by friendly healing spells next to him.
- A familiar having a chance to steal items in shops (once every owner level) or giving discounts by revealing the shop owners secrets.

Secrets, eventually deadly traps
  • Maybe the bard and some other classes could have a detect secrets score increased by an attribute and possibly increased further by some feats or natural abilities (racial and from classes)
  • Deadly traps you could detect and avoid (alternate route) or just fall into and die...
  • Eventually some secret NPCs and quests (just enough to motivate a second playthrough if you missed them)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The only think i can add regarding the UI is the addition of shortcuts for spells, which probably needs the overwrite remapping i was talking about earlier.

At least 3-6 shortcuts but the more the merrier.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Well, that was nice ! Good MM vibes there, of course it lacks the sheer brilliance (and completeness) of the source material but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. And importantly, it didn't overstay its welcome.
If the (resident) author Chris Koźmik makes a sequel, it could be great !

Quality of life requests :
* F8 from title page to quickload after starting
* Multiscale map, mousewheel to unzoom, drag and drop to pan
* Map annotations
* Searchable map (luxury but why not, type "castle" or "tower" and cycle through matches)
* Hyperlinks from the journal to the map for locations (or at least a tooltip with coordinates if it was visited before)

Butter

Arcane
Version 1.23 released

This version focuses on gamepad and keyboard support improvements. Also, several spelling/localization fixes. In addition, one small adjustment, now flags for castles and forts on the minimap are identical to those shown on the 3D view.

- [gfx] Minimap shows proper flags colors for all castles and forts.

- [interface] Added gamepad section to Options/Controls (now there are separate Keyboard and Gamepad controls screens).
- [interface] Option/Controls an option to swap strafe and left/right movement gamepad mappings.
- [interface] Scroller can now also be operated via all up/down movement keys (not just up/down arrows but all remapped movement keys whatever your current mapping might be).
- [interface] Scrolling on Quests screen available via gamepad.
- [interface] Hint Cursor: Tooltips on Quest screen now available by holding CTRL (keyboard) or RT (gamepad).
- [interface] Hint Cursor: Tooltips on Achievements screen now available by holding CTRL (keyboard) or RT (gamepad).
- [interface] Gamepad hints for Stats/Inventory/Quests/Achievements buttons (displayed when holding RT button).
- [interface] Notification popup if you play with a gamepad connected (only if gamepad is enabled via experimental features).
- [interface] Map now properly shows names of locations when using gamepad.

- [fix] Localization not displayed for Teleport events.
- [fix] Localization missing in one part of the Magic efficiency tooltip.
- [fix] Localization DE (two tiny fixes).
- [fix] Fixed spelling of Necklace of Paralysis and Brothers of the Knife plaque missing one word.

Note: Nintendo Switch version will be updated to v1.23 within a few hours.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff member
RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2021/08/04/legends-of-amberland-version-1-24/

Legends of Amberland version 1.24

Version 1.24 released

Technical update (fixes of some rare OS related bugs and better support for legacy systems). In addition small interface bug fixes.

– [interface] Esc key now closes any open confirmation/notification box.

– [fix] Engine upgraded (fixes to some rare OS related bugs).
– [fix] Esc key incorrectly closing overwrite file box.

LoA_screenshot_v1.24.0.png

Some of asked about Switch version update to v1.24, there is no need since Switch does not have ESC key and no Windows OS to fix, so none of this apply. Therefore v1.23 on Nintendo Switch is identical feature wise to the v1.24 on Windows/Linux.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I know that M&M5 used this same brown background color.
But the red color letters are not a good idea on that (character sheet attributes). It is barely readable.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I know that M&M5 used this same brown background color.
But the red color letters are not a good idea on that (character sheet attributes). It is barely readable.
Hmmm, those seem to have a good contrast, should be readable... What color do you propose to replace it with (lighter red?)
Also, on what screen size (not resolution) do you play?

To me those look fine, but it does not mean anything...

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm just learning of this game now, and definitely purchasing a copy this weekend. I've been playing World of Xeen lately and would absolutely love a new game inspired by it, it looks great!

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Was it inspired by Xeen or another game? I'm inclined to say many.
It was inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of The Beholder 2, Might & Magic 3-5, Crystals of Arborea (a not so well known prequel to Ishar series), GoldBox series (Champions of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, etc).

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Was it inspired by Xeen or another game? I'm inclined to say many.
It was inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of The Beholder 2, Might & Magic 3-5, Crystals of Arborea (a not so well known prequel to Ishar series), GoldBox series (Champions of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, etc).
So in other words, a list of basically my favorite games of all time!

I just bought my copy through GOG, I'm super excited to check it out! I don't know if I'll be getting to it tonight or tomorrow but I'll be certain to share my experience with it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff member
RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
https://www.silverlemurgames.com/2022/01/27/legends-of-amberland-version-1-25/

Legends of Amberland version 1.25

Version 1.25 released

This version focuses on fixing the remaining, usually low priority or very rare bugs, numerous small interface improvements and improved gamepad support. Gamepad support is still marked as experimental, so to use gamepad you need to enable experimental features in Options first. As a side effect of improving gamepad support, the game is also now almost fully playable (with few exceptions) via keyboard alone if one so desires. As of this version you can do everything via gamepad/keyboard except entering names for characters and savefiles (which will be added in future versions).

– [misc] Upgraded to the newest version of SDL2 (for better gamepad support and detection).
– [misc] Screenshots are now saved as .PNG (instead of .BMP) in the root folder (instead of data/).

– [interface] Options support keyboard/gamepad.
– [interface] Options video resolution selector simplified. Also rearranged placements of some options.
– [interface] Gamepad buttons L/R can be used for selecting options category.
– [interface] Display gamepad button hints on Load/Save screens (only if gamepad is plugged in).
– [interface] DELETE key and gamepad button “X” can be used to delete save files (on Load/Save screens).
– [interface] Load/Save screen shows 8 files now instead of 9, extra space will be used for additional information about the savefiles.
– [interface] Added location and highest party level information to Load/Save (will be displayed for new savefiles only).
– [interface] Display gamepad button hints on Map screen (only if gamepad is plugged in).
– [interface] Full map better adjusting size to the screen resolution.
– [interface] Adjusted positions of gamepad hints on screens.
– [interface] Some font colors changed to black (for consistency with NPC dialogue): Rest, Info.
– [interface] Inventory has a separate button on the right menu.
– [interface] Rearranged the right menu to make it more logical.
– [interface] Small inventory beautification, also added a colored tag for Quest and Special items.
– [interface] Adjust item bar size and text positions (making it look better especially at lower resolutions).
– [interface] Character statistics screen displays icons of statuses next to the statuses names.
– [interface] Small interface beautification (scrollers positions).

– [fix] Flee time penalty was 10 days instead of intended 10 hours (a bit extreme).
– [fix] Monsters entering illegal unlocked gate tile which sometimes allowed switching places with the party.
– [fix] Very rare “Item not found” bug in some high level chests.
– [fix] Quit from game was executed when ESC key was pressed on new game screen while fast quit option was enabled.
– [fix] Restoration spell reporting failure like heal (now it properly reports failure due to conscious/petrified target).
– [fix] Spelling mistakes.
– [fix] Locale improvements and fixes: ES,PL,FR,BR,DE.

LoA_screenshot_v1.25.0.png

Contagium

Learned
Patron
For veterans of blobbers like Grimoire, M&M 6-7, Dungeon Master, etc ..is this game too easy or does it still present a decent challenge?

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
..is this game too easy or does it still present a decent challenge?

At minimum, play on the Hard difficulty setting. Insane might be a greater challenge, but seemed a bit overkill.
Exactly.

The official recommendation is that most player play at Normal and Codexians at Hard difficulty. It's about right then.
Insane is not recommended (especially at the first run).

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
https://www.silverlemurgames.com/2022/06/21/legends-of-amberland-version-1-26/

Legends of Amberland version 1.26​

Version 1.26 released

In this version the interface was partially redesigned. Nothing groundbreaking, it’s still the same interface, but there were several smaller changes introduced to make it more spacey and more intuitive. Close screen buttons were made smaller and moved to another spot to free extra space, which allowed a bigger inventory box for example and thicker scroller bars. Some buttons were rearranged, merged, moved to different sections, etc. Again, a lot of things changed but it still has the same vibe so you won’t get confused. Equipping items was redesigned as well, now when you click on an unequipped item it will replace an equipped one (it was quite tricky with accessories but I managed to find an algorithm for it that works well), which is both intuitive and was requested by players for a long time (in case it’s needed I could add an option to disable it and make it work the old way, but I suspect there will be no such need). Also some other small changes, like the compass made more visible, extra icons on map interface, etc.

– [feature] Equipment gets swapped when attempting to equip and you already have an equipped item in that slot. It will also make last accessory unequipped when all accessory slots are filled and you attempt to equip the type of accessory you don’t have equipped yet.
– [feature] Mute on focus lost option (advanced audio setting). Note: if you installed the game prior to v1.26 you will have it off by default, it’s recommended to turn it on, you can do so via Options/Audio.

– [misc] Optimization.

– [interface] Compass redrawn to make the directions more visible.
– [interface] Wider scroller size.
– [interface] Added icons to map buttons (summon griffin, center on party).
– [interface] Close screen buttons made smaller and unified across all screens (when gamepad is plugged in the icon is replaced with gamepad hint icon).
– [interface] Close screen button moved to the top left corner also added “B” to the bottom hints display if gamepad is plugged in.
– [interface] Quests and Titles moved to info section.
– [interface] Removed right mini menu from Statistics and Inventory screens (redundant now since Inventory can be accessed directly from the main right menu).
– [interface] Inventory boxes made wider (possible now since right mini menu was removed and extra space became available).
– [interface] Used shop and deposit item boxes made wider.
– [interface] Other small interface improvements.

– [fix] Overwrite file notice was giving a wrong filename (the correct file was overwritten, just noticed box display was incorrect).

LoA_screenshot_v1.26.png

Top Bottom