Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Is it feasible to have a custom difficulty? As in, player can chose the leveling speed, monster hp, monster damage etc separately? This way you could have easy/normal/hard/insane as they are now or changed in some way you as the dev would be happy with and then extra custom difficulty that allows players to do some fine tuning.
I have two problems with that:
1) Players want (and deserve) to have a finished game, they shouldn't be forced to "adjust" it before playing.
2) More important, such custom setting would disallow comparing with others ("I have beat the game on Hard").
2a) Which leads to an even worse scenario where the player does not know if the settings he puts are even playable (maybe I put those so hard no one is able to finish the game?)

In strategies (like Stellar Monarch) there is no problem with such settings (actually I included some of those there), since such game can be quite short and you can replay it. For an RPG is far more tricky since you need to invest upfront much more time and it's far less replayable.

Actually, I was thinking something along the lines of "Insane +1", "Insane +2", etc options, but not directly customizing those. But so far I have not decided to go that route (yet).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Are there any plans to add cloud saves to this game? I actually have two different laptops (one I use at work and one I use at home) and a desktop. At the moment, I've been stuck on just one computer while playing, which is inconvenient, given that I often play games based upon where I am. Having the ability to open and continue the game on another computer is really helpful.

If this isn't a planned feature, can you tell me where the save games are located (I haven't looked yet, so it might be obvious), and I will simply upload them to a cloud drive and use the "old-fashioned" method of transferring my save game.

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if cloud saves were something that may someday be implemented.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Does this game have evil companions or lets us be evil? Or does it railroad us to certain path with certain 'freedoms'?
It's not really that type of game. Quests typically involve killing specific monsters or collecting specific items and then returning to the quest giver. There's some choice in the ending, but not in the resolution of most quests.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Are there any plans to add cloud saves to this game? I actually have two different laptops (one I use at work and one I use at home) and a desktop. At the moment, I've been stuck on just one computer while playing, which is inconvenient, given that I often play games based upon where I am. Having the ability to open and continue the game on another computer is really helpful.

If this isn't a planned feature, can you tell me where the save games are located (I haven't looked yet, so it might be obvious), and I will simply upload them to a cloud drive and use the "old-fashioned" method of transferring my save game.

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if cloud saves were something that may someday be implemented.
Actually, I was thinking about adding cloud saves but no one asked for it, so... :D Sure, I will add those.

In the meantime you can find your saves location by mouse hovering the "Where are save files located?" text on the Load/Save screen (it will display the path in a tooltip).
BTW, I have been asked this relatively frequently, I thought the text would be self explanatory & intuitive, still continuously people don't "get it". Any recomendation how to convey this information better? Maybe move this to Options or something?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Answering only for myself, I thought the text at the bottom of the screen said "Where Save Files Are Located," which I thought was just a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that particular screen is where you save the game (sort of like it's saying: "Hey, this is where Save Files are located.") I never once thought to hover over it to find information.

Have you considered just turning it into a button that says: "CLICK HERE TO SEE YOUR SAVE FILE LOCATION" or something really obvious?

EDIT:
Also, it occurs to me that if you're seeing this frequently, it could be because people are moving save files around, so maybe cloud saves will help stop those questions as well.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I've started the game again from scratch. Do cloud saves work automatically, or do I need to turn them on somewhere?

On the update that announced cloud saves, it mentions:
  • Make sure you have "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization" checked for in the game's properties (by default it's checked)
  • Note that the savefiles will be updated when you close the Steam client.
  • The first time you run the game with cloud saves enabled you might need to wait a bit till Steam synchronizes all the existing files (depending on the number of save files you have already).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Make sure you have "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization" checked for in the game's properties (by default it's checked)

Hmm...when I looked I didn't see that setting. Where is it located?

EDIT:
Never mind. It's not a setting in the game, it's a setting in Steam. Found it.

zapotec

Liturgist
How does this game compare against GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The same way Wizardry 7 compares to early Might & Magic. Grimoire is bigger and much more complex in every way.

Indeed, Grimoire is a complex beast of a game, took me at least 250-300 hours to finish (But I loved every single one, that game is so densely packed with adventure and mystery. The best 10 bucks I ever invested). LoA on the other hand is a charming and lovely made game but only took me a handful of hours without too much trouble on the road.

Dorateen

Arcane
Grimoire is the main course, and Legends of Amberland is dessert.

As an aside, playing on the higher difficulties, you can get 30+ hours out of LoA by exploring and completing everything. It is streamlined from Might & Magic III to V in some ways, but also adds a lot of little interesting features compared to that series.

Sinatar

Arbiter
How long do you have to wait at the withered tree to get... whatever the hell the wizard says you get?

I just stood there and held enter down for like 10 minutes, probably spent several months of game time standing there.

EDIT: Nevermind I just went back, talked to the wizard again, then went back outside and the eagle instantly spawned. Little buggy there.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Well I beat it. I explored every tile and every dungeon, but there's one tiny part of the map that looks like there might be something there, accessible by teleporter perhaps?

x68u7a8.png

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Well I beat it. I explored every tile and every dungeon, but there's one tiny part of the map that looks like there might be something there, accessible by teleporter perhaps?
Nope. It's just mountains. In the next version I will probably adjust the map so it registers on your minimap.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom