Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Nice, though of course playing on a PC is much better:

ACR8se4.jpg

Yes, this is the GOG screenshot, i do not actually have the game, but the point stands :-P

Ysaye

Arbiter
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown available on GOG!

After a long journey Legends of Amberland finally arrived on GOG store. This ancient online store contains tons of old games which inspired the game and it's a perfect fit for it. I'm quite happy it will be available there alongside so many great classics I remember from my childhood!

https://af.gog.com/game/legends_of_amberland_the_forgotten_crown?as=1649904300

In addition, there will be GOG Connect enabled (for one week) which is a nice option for all people who bought the game elsewhere and wanted to have all their games on their GOG library.

Also, all people who bought the "Support The Developer Edition" via the official website (before GOG release) will be getting GOG keys which I will be sending shortly.

I will post some details/thoughts on the https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/legends-of-amberland-rejected-by-gog.128058/ topic a bit later.

Congratulations on this and the Switch version Chris!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what hardware is that? Actually looks pretty nice for commutes

GPD Win 1. It has been superseded by GPD Win 2 for a long time now, which is *much* faster - but also it is much more expensive. I do not think it is worth buying one right now though since GPD Win Max is around the corner and rumors go that GPD Win 3 will follow next, probably with an AMD APU (which again should push performance). The Max is going to be larger (think netbook size, some compare it with a Switch) though personally i'm not a fan of that since i prefer the pocketable size the GPD Win 1 and 2 have, so i'd wait for GPD Win 3.

I found this one at a discounted price of 250 euros some time ago because it was the last one. You may find some used one on ebay, though i wouldn't buy it used because those models had a defect with the battery that could make it bloat due to it being right underneath the CPU. There are some mods to fix it though (and you may even find a modded unit) but it is something to keep in mind with them. AFAIK this was never an issue with GPD Win 2 nor the other pocket-sized PCs the company made.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Yea GOG connect isn't working here either. It has worked in the past, so it's definitely reading my steam library correctly.
So, people, is GOG Connect working for you now? There has been 2+ hours already, so if you clicked before any queues/etc should have been processed by now. If still not working I will ask GOG to look into this.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I waited overnight and tried again this morning. When I logged in, it showed that the game was available and that it registered it in my Steam Library so I could snag the GOG copy. To be fair, though, I did send a support ticket in about it. So, I don't know if it's working for anyone else who had the issue.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
All right, no new reports (plus several people reported it works now), so I assume GOG Connect works (it just takes a few hours to trigger properly).

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
After 2 days of kicking GOG Connect page it worked, without any help from GOG's support team.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huzzah: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/202...berland-coming-to-nintendo-switch-this-month/

Legends of Amberland coming to Nintendo Switch this month!

Today I got an official announcement from Pineapple Works, the porting company who was tirelessly working on Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown port for Nintendo Switch in the last months. The port is done and ready and it’s going to be released this month! The exact date is 20 April 2020. Yay!

Legends of Amberland on Nintendo eShop

LoAOnNintendoSwitch.png

Here is how it could look on your desk, just look at it and tell me you can resist!
LoA-Nintendo2-IMG_20200407_121352.jpg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing a lot of MM3 and Grimoire lately, and I have to say I prefer when the map isn't visible at all times. You end up playing the whole game from the overhead perspective instead of first-person.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I've been playing a lot of MM3 and Grimoire lately, and I have to say I prefer when the map isn't visible at all times. You end up playing the whole game from the overhead perspective instead of first-person.
But you do have minimap visible at all times in M&M3. Except for the brief period at the very beginning when you have no cartography skill yet. Unless I don't remember it clearly?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
But you do have minimap visible at all times in M&M3. Except for the brief period at the very beginning when you have no cartography skill yet. Unless I don't remember it clearly?
Yeah that's true. The contrast with Grimoire is what made me come to this conclusion.

Dorateen

Arcane
Yeah that's true. The contrast with Grimoire is what made me come to this conclusion.

One of the things that was great about Grimoire was the percentile tracking of map completion. You would check your orientation and see 97% of the map filled, and wonder where are those last three squares? Of course, lots of hidden secrets on any given map in Grimoire.

Chris Koźmik Might & Magic had a spell that needed to be cast to reveal the minimap. But yes, it was pretty standard to explore with it up all the time.

Ysaye

Arbiter

Actually, I have been playing Might and Magic 4/5 these last few weeks and was it just struck me how well Legend of Amberland captures the same vibe and interesting features, so well done Chris!

index.php

Arcane
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2020/04/15/legends-of-amberland-version-1-14/

Legends of Amberland version 1.14
Version 1.14 released

This version has some nice features like keyboard support for spells selection, which was requested a lot, and autosaves upon entering a new location. There was one dialogue line added to Sir Thercion since it was confusing to some players and all text was spellchecked. There was also one more thing, a rebalance. Typically, at this stage of a game’s life I refrain from balance changes. Since the game is complete and I do not want to interfere with games already in progress. But I decided two changes were needed. First was a rebalance of healing spells. I was watching some playthroughs and I concluded that mid and late game spells simply do not provide enough healing since at that stage characters can have like 500 HPs, so I have increased these spells efficiency and decreased arcane requirements. Second was Insane difficulty rebalance. The common feedback was that Insane difficulty was not fun due to the amount of damage monsters deal. So, I tried to rebalance it without changing difficulty too much. Now monsters on Insane deal less damage but have higher HPs, also their power is more evenly spread (in v1.3x branch the monsters on Insane were relatively easy at the beginning and then became too powerful at the end). Hard difficult got some adjustments as well, but much more minor in comparison. All those changes are properly propagated using your old saves, so you can continue your playthrough with the new version rules without any problems.

– [feature] Autosave upon entering a new location (creates an autosave.sav file).

– [balance] On Hard slightly lowered monsters damage and slightly increased monsters HPs.
– [balance] Heavy rebalance of Insane difficulty. Overall, monsters now deal significantly less damage but have more HPs (to avoid situation when the whole party was wiped out in one area attack). In addition, difficulty starts to scale earlier, so (it’s harder at the beginning and not that deadly at the very end).
– [balance] Elven Song/Elven Touch spells rebalanced (higher mastery levels increased Arcane requirements and amount of HPs restored).
– [balance] Power Heal/Mass Power Heal spells rebalanced (significantly reduced Arcane requirements and increased amount of HPs restored).

– [misc] Move to new engine (technical upgrade).
– [misc] Sir Thercion got a dialogue line reacting to slaying the Red Dragon (purely cosmetic, not changing the gameplay in any way, no additional reward or anything). It was a bit confusing to some players that he has not noticed the feat you did, some even reported it as a bug, so I have added a line where he acknowledges it.
– [misc] Spellcheck (all story & content related, not UI).

– [interface] Spells can be selected using keyboard.
– [interface] New check boxes.

– [fix] Monster HPs were not increased properly by the game difficulty level.
– [fix] Griffin/teleport effect position adjusted (visual glitch).

LoA_screenshot_v1.14.0_cover.png

Andhaira

Arcane
I have just noticed that LoA got the 7th place on the RPG Codex GOTY 2019. Whoa! That was a surprise!
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11316
Thanks people! It's always nice for the developer when his work is appreciated and enjoyed, it makes all the days of the hard work worth it.

I'm definitely making LoA II one day :)

How many copies did you sell? And how much did you make after Steam etc commissions?

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
How many copies did you sell? And how much did you make after Steam etc commissions?
Well, I can't tell it, but let's say I'm making those games professionally since 2005 and that's my only source of income (that's how I make a living). But note that this is not my first or second game so I have also a back catalogue of games which provide the income, therefore there is no need for me to break even with LoA right now. Answering in a more generic manner, the sales are decent.

What matters to me more is the very high ratio of positive ratings (97% on Steam the last time I checked). Which means people enjoy it. Which means there will be a sequel :)

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2020/04/20/legends-of-amberland-available-on-nintendo-switch/

Legends of Amberland available on Nintendo Switch!

Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown is available on Nintendo Switch now!

Is a retro RPG, inspired by the games from the 90s era which I played as a youngster. It’s a travel back to the good old times where good was good, evil was evil and everything was much simpler, or at least that’s how I remember it today. You are on a noble epic quest to save the land, there are dragons to kill, stray princesses to rescue and treasures to find. All this was designed to work with modern machines and using somewhat modernized mechanics while preserving the look and feel of the old games which I have so fond memories of. It’s a journey to a beautiful mythical land filled with magic, mysterious creatures, royal castles and other goodies.

It was ported by a Polish company Pineapple Works who were consulting with me all the time, so this is a fine and a faithful port “just as the author envisioned”. Basically all the changes are those required by the platform of things that were simply more natural on Nintendo Switch, but overall, it’s the same story and experience you get as if you played the PC version. The port was well done.

Nintendo eShop

LoA-available-on-Nintendo-Switch-20200420.jpg

Daddy! Let me play, it’s not true I’m too young to chew the controller!!!

ManaJunkie

Arbiter

Bought the game yesterday for the second time. Was a good opportunity to reactivate the switch. Pretty good port. Actually the game looks and "feels" almost better on the small screen. The mix of joypad and touch controls works really good, even with big hands.

Good work. One of the best games for the switch. Perfect for mobile gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom