Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Legends of Eisenwald Released on Steam Early Access

Tigranes

Arcane
Hard to say, you could go the Fallout Tactics route and release something that uses the same engine and assets, smaller scope, tooled particularly for some co-op missions and multiplayer. But that's perhaps a decision you can make whe you release the game and see how robust your engine is and how many people like the combat.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I think I will ask the Banner Saga guys after they have single campaign and see if people want to play Factions after single player or not. To me, I am also pretty much interested only in single player campaign, but well, we are not making this game just for ourselves anyway :)

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
I think I will ask the Banner Saga guys after they have single campaign and see if people want to play Factions after single player or not. To me, I am also pretty much interested only in single player campaign, but well, we are not making this game just for ourselves anyway :)

Most just want a Coop. It's not important if the game isn't specially adjusted for Coop, Coop can make even shitty games good.
I know it's something that's often asked for this kind of games (M&B, KB comes to mind), and methinks you could easily implement something decent, gameplay wise (I don't know about coding).

And you would have far less pressure than implementing some shitty standalone PVP arena with all the balancing and competitive cancers in mind.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think there's just a whole bunch of people who expect every game to have multiplayer and are very loudmouthed about it even if they're no that interested in the game itself. I'd pay no mind to them and instead focus on pleasing your core audience (that would be the Codex :smug:. But then what could possibly please us).

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yes, we will come back to MP and co-op after the game is done.
I think there's just a whole bunch of people who expect every game to have multiplayer and are very loudmouthed about it even if they're no that interested in the game itself. I'd pay no mind to them and instead focus on pleasing your core audience (that would be the Codex :smug:. But then what could possibly please us).
This is well said! What can possibly please Codex or make agree on something :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Most just want a Coop. It's not important if the game isn't specially adjusted for Coop, Coop can make even shitty games good.
I know it's something that's often asked for this kind of games (M&B, KB comes to mind), and methinks you could easily implement something decent, gameplay wise (I don't know about coding).

And you would have far less pressure than implementing some shitty standalone PVP arena with all the balancing and competitive cancers in mind.

People want co-op in turn based strategy games?

DeepOcean

Arcane

I think this is something strange too. If single player already is slow, co-op would be glacial slow. Artedux must be careful in taking in consideration the opinions of retards talking out of their ass on Steam forums seriously. Most likely scenario:"Hey, what is this Legend of Einsewald thingy? Is it a russian RTS? I think all RTS should have co op. I played co op on Mass Effect 3 and was great."

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted

Turn based strategy games =/= multiplayer?
You are funny.

Aterdux Entertainment
Most people who will actually play through your game won't care about Multiplayer. Infact, it might be counter-productive to do so. A segemnt of players is vocal about it sure, but look at Expedition Conquistadors, no one really cared about MP other than bitComposer.

You guys could do another KSer after Legends of Eisenwald is released (not early access) for a co-op (standalone?) expansion and/or competitive skirmishes to gauge the interest.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Aterdux Entertainment
Most people who will actually play through your game won't care about Multiplayer. Infact, it might be counter-productive to do so. A segemnt of players is vocal about it sure, but look at Expedition Conquistadors, no one really cared about MP other than bitComposer.

You guys could do another KSer after Legends of Eisenwald is released (not early access) for a co-op (standalone?) expansion and/or competitive skirmishes to gauge the interest.
Fucking this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You are funny.

I didn't say all multiplayer, I said co-op. Versus is perfectly understandable but... co-op? In a game like this? Nope. And even with versus I still don't see the big appeal. I'd rather a tightly focused single player experience.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
You are funny.

I didn't say all multiplayer, I said co-op. Versus is perfectly understandable but... co-op? In a game like this? Nope. And even with versus I still don't see the big appeal. I'd rather a tightly focused single player experience.

What exactly are you picturing when you think of coop.
If you think that would consist of being just one soldier in the host's band, waiting for a combat + your turn to play, you would be mistaken.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
If you think that would consist of being just one soldier in the host's band, waiting for a combat + your turn to play, you would be mistaken.

So, what exactly are YOU picturing when you think of coop? (in this type of game)
Just curious.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted

So, what exactly are YOU picturing when you think of coop? (in this type of game)
Just curious.

Isn't it obvious? The same way people imagine M&B coop : 2 different band.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

My advice? Make the game you want to play, it will be better on the long run. Also, for small companies is better to pick your battles. Make the best single player game you can, instead of pandering to a loud but probably small number of people that want something that you never intended to have on the first place, and that's it's really not easy to implement.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
My advice? Make the game you want to play, it will be better on the long run. Also, for small companies is better to pick your battles. Make the best single player game you can, instead of pandering to a loud but probably small number of people that want something that you never intended to have on the first place, and that's it's really not easy to implement.
Right now we have no other choice anyway. So far the development wasn't easy for us, but we always knew where to head and what to do. I think once we release the game, our priorities will be clear too. We are much more excited to make more fun things in the game like two stage sieges, castle upgrades... And more campaigns :)

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
Right now we have no other choice anyway. So far the development wasn't easy for us, but we always knew where to head and what to do. I think once we release the game, our priorities will be clear too. We are much more excited to make more fun things in the game like two stage sieges, castle upgrades... And more campaigns :)

Will we be able to walk and shoot from walls, while the enemy rams the gate, while also climbing on a ladder on another segment of wall...
And also set barricades in the streets...? (granted, siege map would have to be much bigger than standard battle ones).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Just curious.

Isn't it obvious? The same way people imagine M&B coop : 2 different band.

That's not how I imagine it at all. Co-op = cooperative.

Yeah stick with single player. The multiplayer fags can go play Team Fortress or ARMA

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Multiplayer in singleplayer games are fads. 1-2 months down the road and no-one plays multiplayer in a singleplayer-focused game. Just dead servers and the occasional cheater.

It's nice to see the devs didn't need to rely on publishers after all thanks to Early Access. As for MP, I personally don't need it. I don't hear Expeditions: Conquistador MP popular, either, just to be fair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom