Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Legends Of Ellaria - a new FPS/RTS/RPG sandbox game

Adrian909

Literate
Hi, i’m Adrian, from Larkon Studio a game developer company.

We will soon release a new FPS game that has small twist; Your character can move in FPS, interact with other people, take quests and have an RPG oriented game, but you also have the ability to build cities and fight epic battles through RTS control.

The idea is to make something interesting and create an entirely new gaming experience, in the process we are trying to involve the gamer community in the game to get as many feedbacks as possible.

So what do you think of a fantasy action game with RTS, does it sound interesting?

You can find more information on our website - CivCraft

You can also comment in the community section in the website, you are more than welcome to write us suggestions or ask questions.
your personal opinion can influence on the final outcome of the game.

DayCity.jpg

poetic codex

Augur
My feedback so far: Why do fantasy games all end up having the same name? It's like you guys all read the same naming guide and page 3 says, "You must throw in a 'legends' or don't even bother making the game."

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No videos, hardly any screenshots, a "download demo" button that doesn't actually work. Sounds interesting but I have open office game design files with more detail than this.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I saw several clone Threads of this popping up across pretty much the whole Internet gaming sphere, from what I gather you guys are trying to build up some hype for your upcoming Kickstarter funding campaign.
Nothing wrong with that, it's just that your wording is a little misleading when you say you'll "release the game soon" and don't mention that you still seek funding in any way in your initial post. Anyways good luck with your Action/RTS/RPG hybrid Kickstarter funding attempt!

DraQ

Arcane
We will soon release a new FPS game that has small twist; Your character can move in FPS, interact with other people, take quests and have an RPG oriented game, but you also have the ability to build cities and fight epic battles through RTS control.
Protip:

Change the title. When I read of RPG with RTS control I thought of Baldur's Gate which was effectively an RPG running on repurposed RTS engine and thought "fuck no!", because trying to control adventuring party with RTS-like controls proved to be a complete clusterfuck as opposed to, say, controlling it in TB.
The thing is your game isn't (thankfully) an RPG with RTS controls, it seems like a pretty straightforward blend of RTS and RPG.

The idea is to make something interesting and create an entirely new gaming experience
...which isn't an entirely new gaming experience either - you had old games like Birthright doing pretty much the same thing, you had more modern Uprising, you recently had Dragon Commander, etc.

Interesting it might be, but new it isn't - it's just a genre hybrid and not an unprecedented one either.

So what do you think of a fantasy action game with RTS, does it sound interesting?
Sure, as long as none of its two elements gets butchered to compensate for increased scope, as long as they blend and interlock meaningfully enough to not feel like separate games crammed into one program for some reason and as long as the game is interesting in its own right - it has potential, at least in theory.

In practice? Well, you don't provide nearly enough material to determine what it will be in practice, so better get around to it.

Change the title. When I read of RPG with RTS control I thought of Baldur's Gate.. your game isn't (thankfully) an RPG with RTS controls, it seems like a pretty straightforward blend of RTS and RPG.

Heh, that's the exact same thing I thought when I saw this topic. You'd rather want to avoid causing people to go "Baldur's Gate again? How 'bout no?" and losing interest in your game right then and there.

And while we're already at potentially misleading words, I'll echo the sentiment that collecting funds for development with a perhaps a little tech demo on its way is not the same as "we will soon release a new game".

Interesting it might be, but new it isn't - it's just a genre hybrid and not an unprecedented one either.

To be fair, this kind of hybrid is also not a very frequently done one either. I would really be looking forward to this (I loved Birthright), but I don't really see what the game will do which these classics didn't (or what it does better - a detailed feature list and/or direct comparisons to other rpg/rts-hybrids would be nice).

Plus, while understandable for an indie effort, the low quality renders + uninspired title don't help matters much. Neither does the "Yo, we will release this game soon. Ha, gotcha! It's just another fundraiser, expect the actual game in three years or so.", which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Cadmus

Arcane
I like the building part. I don't like what seems to be an ad/spam with the OP not returning to discuss any details.
To be honest, it looks pretty shitty and uninspired. One of the strengths of indies is the ability to match any AAA title with a good art direction and ideas and you are kinda throwing it away...

DraQ

Arcane
To be fair, this kind of hybrid is also not a very frequently done one either.
True, but going "omg brand new genre!!!1" about it exposes you as being either ignorant (which isn't a good thing when it makes you miss valuable lessons about what worked and what didn't) or full of shit (which isn't good for obvious reasons).

I like the building part. I don't like what seems to be an ad/spam with the OP not returning to discuss any details.
To be honest, it looks pretty shitty and uninspired. One of the strengths of indies is the ability to match any AAA title with a good art direction and ideas and you are kinda throwing it away...
Also this - whenever a game evokes this particular feeling of "I already played it but prettier, more polish, more interesting and overall better, you know" feeling in me it's an automatic "NOPE." (which makes me wonder why so many games, even smaller ones, are just meticulous regurgitations of long established tropes and nothing else) - but I don't think we're given enough information to even say that in this case.

buzz

Arcane
Nice idea, I've seen it done before in various ways but more of it is never bad. If you're looking for some design inspiration, check out the following:
Sacrifice - probably the best implementation of Action and strategy (it doesn't have many RPG elements, just a string of choices and consequences based on which missions you attempt throughout your playtrough, which give you different spells and summons)
Warlords Battlecry - it felt more like an expanded version of the Warcraft 3 system (of course, they did it first) where the RPG part consists only on building the character and having him as the specialized "hero" on your map.
Spellforce - much closer to what you describe because aside from the character development, you also have main quests and optional sidequests, cities to visit and all the RPG stuff.
I of the Dragon - RPG where you play as a dragon and you can build and upgrade cities. Heavy inspiration from Magic Carpet (which you should also check out)
Divinity Dragon Commander - similar idea like the previous one, but expanded with a conversation system with NPCs and faction reputation.
Savage Battle for Newerth - this one isn't an RPG, but a multiplayer mix of FPS and strategy.

There's also King Arthur the Roleplaying Game which I never tried, as well as other that I don't remember or never tried.

Cadmus

Arcane
It's kinda sad how the word "experience" has become such an annoying marketing bullshit buzz word, because it's actually a good, descriptive word. What do we replace it with as not to sound so retarded?

Adrian909

Literate
We builded the game like Skyrim, with a first class graphics, RPG, and with the ability to interact with NPC's, take quests, and explore the land, but in addition you can expand your map, craft items, have epic battles build cities and armies and manage your world. It's also a more creative game since people can visit other players kingdom, and meet new people, see what they built... and conquer it.
about our goals- You're right, we are trying to make some noise about our Kickstarter campaign - it's a bit of chicken and egg thing. but we are not 3 years away from the game, we are few month away from Alpha, we want the game to be the best game possible so thats why we are going to kickstarter very very soon.
we have the ability to create the game, actually we already passed the major obstacles of the development, and we want the community to participate in the developing of the game.
and our website being update all the time. by the way, Trailer will be released in the matter of week or 2."

:Flash:

Arcane
We will soon release a new First Person Shooter game that has small twist; Your character can move in First Person Sshooter, interact with other people, take quests and have an Role Playing Game oriented game, but you also have the ability to build cities and fight epic battles through Real Time Strategy control.

That made a lot of sense. Also Website down.

Cadmus

Arcane
We builded the game like Skyrim, with a first class graphics, RPG, and with the ability to interact with NPC's, take quests, and explore the land, but in addition you can expand your map, craft items, have epic battles build cities and armies and manage your world. It's also a more creative game since people can visit other players kingdom, and meet new people, see what they built... and conquer it.
about our goals- You're right, we are trying to make some noise about our Kickstarter campaign - it's a bit of chicken and egg thing. but we are not 3 years away from the game, we are few month away from Alpha, we want the game to be the best game possible so thats why we are going to kickstarter very very soon.
we have the ability to create the game, actually we already passed the major obstacles of the development, and we want the community to participate in the developing of the game.
and our website being update all the time. by the way, Trailer will be released in the matter of week or 2."

I can't help but get a feeling from your post you either copied it from some other response you wrote or you just wrote it without reading anything here, which is retarded and bad PR for you.
Your website had literally 1 screenshot the last time I checked, the "download demo" button didn't work and forum was full of bullshit spam you had probably posted there. How can you be 2 weeks away from a trailer if you can't even take screenshots from your game.
How the fuck is the community participating with the game development? Where? What?

Also, fuck Skyrim and even more fuck every no-budget indie vapour-ware based on it.
You post shit full of buzzwords and sentences that look like they were created in some random advertisement generator. I get it, your game will have everything in it, RTS parts, RPG parts, crafting, strategy, tactics, "twists" , "new experience" and mudcrabs and will cure aids. Fuck you, I hate this shit, it only creates white noise for the legitimate developers to get drowned in.

Edit: Ok, sorry I found 2 more screenshots.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
I of the Dragon - RPG where you play as a dragon and you can build and upgrade cities. Heavy inspiration from Magic Carpet (which you should also check out)
Divinity Dragon Commander - similar idea like the previous one, but expanded with a conversation system with NPCs and faction reputation.
Sadly I think that good folks at Larian didn't play IOTD. If they did DC would have been much better in RTS mode.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I was expecting nothing and I'm still let down.:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom