Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Legends Of Ellaria - a new FPS/RTS/RPG sandbox game

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Another potential issue of merging FPS and RTS is the quality of the models. The models in FPS need much higher quality graphics, so when you zoom out to FPS mode, you still have hold all those high-resolution models in memory, and Unity already has a reputation for being sluggish and slow.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And why shouldn't they be completely integrated? Making different parts separate minigames *IS* what produces a schizophrenic experience.
Because it is cumbersome to manage a kingdom in first person view. But the term I used was flawed anyway. I meant that one needs to be much lighter than the other (somewhat like the stronghold management in NWN2, or kingdom management in MnB), as you integrating Crusader Kings into a FPS would probably result in the worst interface of all times.
The mini game approach is not too different from what you do in XCom or Master of Magic/Orion anyway, and some games have tried to embrace the schizophreny (Birthright, Space Rangers 2), and more or less succeeded (well, SR2 somewhat did)

Adrian909

Literate
Another potential issue of merging FPS and RTS is the quality of the models. The models in FPS need much higher quality graphics, so when you zoom out to FPS mode, you still have hold all those high-resolution models in memory, and Unity already has a reputation for being sluggish and slow.
Good question,
It's LOD, but it's also a double map concept. There's a map in the background that regenerates the graphics, so that details that belong to FPS won't be visible

Adrian909

Literate
Nope, CivCraft is not like Mount & Blade - War Band, since you don't have an RTS menu or the ability to build cities in WarBand. It's not like Dungeon Keeper, since Dungeon Keeper is a "Capture the map" type of game and you don't have an open world. CivCraft is not like the rest of the other games, since they are also "Capture the Map" game, and are not RPG or full RTS.

DraQ

Arcane
Because it is cumbersome to manage a kingdom in first person view.
Well, I can agree it works better when you're airborne.
:smug:

Still, it might be interesting in ways you'd have to trade personal participation for situational awareness - for example find a high place with good view if you want to command the battle effectively.

Though I don't think actual production (buildings, troops) would mesh well with that view.
It would be better to have separate time compressed or TB mode with ts own view to manage the infrastructure and your people, with game only going proper RT when going around and in battles.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've just thought of a two potential problems: walking speed and building size. In most RTS games, the size of the building is small compared to the buildings, but it's an acceptable break from reality since otherwise the players would get bored crossing their own base, not to mention marching for more than a minute to the opponent's base.

One example I can think of is Command & Conquer Renegade, which was an FPS set in the Command & Conquer universe. The buildings in the campaign were somewhat believable, with multiple levels, barracks with beds, kitchens and bathrooms, but the bases in skirmish mode were ridiculously close to one another and the buildings had the size of an average home.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still, it might be interesting in ways you'd have to trade personal participation for situational awareness - for example find a high place with good view if you want to command the battle effectively.

Though I don't think actual production (buildings, troops) would mesh well with that view.
It would be better to have separate time compressed or TB mode with ts own view to manage the infrastructure and your people, with game only going proper RT when going around and in battles.
Indeed, it would make sense in battle, and would reinforce immersion and make troops harder to command, which would even be good from a simulation point of view.

On second thought, the RTS building elements remind me of Shadowbane (maybe Darkfall too. Haven't played it) or Eve online (although Eve online replaced RPG elements), but in single player.

Anyway, if it is a completely new gaming experience, asking for our impressions about something that does not exist will yield poor results. The best way would be to get a playable prototype out ASAP, and see whether it works (that might be a bit late if the game is scheduled to launch soon), and how to refine it.

Depending on how close it is to an RTS, it might work or not at all :
RTS are completely abstract. Making a RPG with RTS elements as is would be akward (with building erected in 1 minute, how would that not break immersion? What is this strange city where people are "produced"? The idea of visiting a Age of Kings city is hardly appealing. And if you don't follow the RTS formula too closely then why insist on keeping the RTS part (I mean, if it doesn't follow the conventions of the RTS genre, then why insist on calling it an RTS, which is a genre with its conventions and not any game in real time with strategic elements).

Concerning the naming conventions, why insist on calling it an FPS when what you mean is first person action RPG? It only adds confusion (or do you intend to have the game focus be shooting arrows, with melee being an afterthough, and the RPG elements a vague pretext to reach a broader audience?)

I personnally would really like a blend of RPG and fiefdom management done well, but with the little infos given there, it is hard to be of much use.

DraQ

Arcane
And if you don't follow the RTS formula too closely then why insist on keeping the RTS part (I mean, if it doesn't follow the conventions of the RTS genre, then why insist on calling it an RTS, which is a genre with its conventions and not any game in real time with strategic elements).
Depends on whether you'd consider games like Myth RTS as well.

Now back to my traditionally achronological "look, I missed something there!" replies:

DraQ, I'd like a turn-based RPG in which you have to aim with full-realistic bullets mechanics and RPG's abilities would determinate the damage (with critical damage and those things).

It's hard to explain, and probably I'd be the only person who'll enjoy it.
Why the fuck would you want skill to influence damage when you'd already have detailed ballistics?
If you pop someone in the head with, say, 7.62 NATO does it magically deal less damage because you aren't a skilled shooter?

I could see a point of having a TB game where you'd go into FPP for party members and tell them exactly where you'd want them to shoot (with iron sights even), then the mechanics would take over determining how good are they at firing in the exact specified direction and then ballistics would be modelled, but with damage scaling it would just be stupid - "Fuck got sprayed and hit by 20 .50 BMG, good thing the guy was such a lousy shoot that the bullets got limp and just gave me bruises".

More importantly...why would you need to manually aim in turn-based combat? You have all the time in the world. :M

DraQ

Arcane
More importantly...why would you need to manually aim in turn-based combat? You have all the time in the world. :M
Because you might want to shoot in an arbitrary direction?

If you have detailed ballistics, you have bullet travel times and trajectories calling for detailed modelling of the environment instead of tile based chunks.
If you have all that you may benefit from trying to predict target movement instead of letting the AI lead the target or trick shooting through small openings and such.

Perkel

Arcane
Those DEMO on that site work for anyone ?

I mean it shows blank page for me

mondblut

Arcane
Fuck hybrids.
That only results in a new generation of hybrids.

Since being a proper RPG is clearly a recessive gene, you are probably right. An RPG fucking a shit RPG hybrid results in another shit RPG hybrid. Blonde hair, blue eyes, turn-based blobbers with tactical combat and 3 screens of skills and proficiencies - a howling wave of drooling degenerate mudmen quickly makes it all a history.

Cazzeris

Now back to my traditionally achronological "look, I missed something there!" replies:

DraQ, I'd like a turn-based RPG in which you have to aim with full-realistic bullets mechanics and RPG's abilities would determinate the damage (with critical damage and those things).

It's hard to explain, and probably I'd be the only person who'll enjoy it.
Why the fuck would you want skill to influence damage when you'd already have detailed ballistics?
If you pop someone in the head with, say, 7.62 NATO does it magically deal less damage because you aren't a skilled shooter?

I could see a point of having a TB game where you'd go into FPP for party members and tell them exactly where you'd want them to shoot (with iron sights even), then the mechanics would take over determining how good are they at firing in the exact specified direction and then ballistics would be modelled, but with damage scaling it would just be stupid - "Fuck got sprayed and hit by 20 .50 BMG, good thing the guy was such a lousy shoot that the bullets got limp and just gave me bruises".
:hearnoevil:
The aiming system would make the game more realistic, your skills would determinate your strength (to control and hold the weapon), your perception, your luck and those shit.

I'm not saying that's a good idea. At least is more original than "CivCraft".

Cadmus

Arcane
Those DEMO on that site work for anyone ?

I mean it shows blank page for me
ITS COMING SOON, IF YOU CAN JUST GIVE US SOME PERSONAL INFORMATION WE WILL SPAM YOU WITH BULLSHIT LET YOU KNOW WHEN IT'S OUT

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
"Civcraft"? Fucking lol.

This seems like preparation to launch some type of scam fundraising campaign. OP is probably short on beer money.

mondblut

Arcane
If you ignore the strategic elements of the game, that is.

What's a "strategic elements"? RPGs were always half about resource management. Having a source of income does not suddenly makes game a strategy. D&D featured owned strongholds and guilds for level 9+ characters since the 70s.

buzz

Arcane
Were RPGs always about map control as well?

But hey, no need to split hairs about what's an RPG and what's a strategy game and why JA is a hybrid of both, we can just safely assume that Sir-Tech knew what the fuck they meant when they said the same thing themselves in the manual or on the cover of their games:
952833677-00.jpg

JA2 manual said:
This is Jagged Alliance 2 ,an exciting mix of strategy and role-playing that puts you in charge of a nation’s fight for freedom.You’ll hire a core group of skilledprofessionals through A.I.M.,the Association of International Mercenaries. You’ll win the local population over to your side by displaying courage andloyalty.You’ll train your men around the clock,then send them into danger-ous missions and lethal firefights.You’ll conquer the depths of undergroundmines,reap their riches,and discover their secrets

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom