Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice - sequel to surprisingly good revival

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.larrysmansion.com

https://af.gog.com/game/leisure_suit_larry_wet_dreams_dry_twice?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1373430/view/2737577955656013936

Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Dry Twice Announcement October 15. 2020

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice" has just been announced - Larry Laffer is back for round 2!

After his successful last adventure in New Lost Vages, the philanderer is now on a quest to find his beloved Faith on the archipelago of Kalau'a. Help Larry find the love of his life and reach his destination in over 50 different hand-drawn locations and meet over 40 crazy characters on his journey to the climax in "Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice"!

You can already wishlist the game on Steam or pre-order it on GOG.com and the official website with a discount of 20% until the release!

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's set to "adult only" game on Steam, unlike the first revival game, huh.

The game contains cutscenes with sex scenes but no explicit genitials are visible. Nipples might appear in some scenes as well. Sexual violence is not included or only partly in consensual sex scenes as part of the act but absolutely willingly. Drugs and alcohol are no main topic but can appear in story relevant quests and dialogues. Self-harm is not included.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Judging from the screenshots it appears they may be delving into the "Where the hell did Larry come from in the first place?"-angle of the starting area of the prequel. Someone is paying attention this time round.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
BUT WILL NU-LARRY BE RESPECTFUL TO WOMEN? WHAT ABOUT CONSENT? WILL TOXIC MASCULINITY TAKE PLACE? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

vReuA-0124sPTLsOdGGy61iEFrmVVERiARG__HQjIeUFQdS6t7gRkZnFLn6HMCiMTbRglEBa9rpFUGHAl6eJXCqdyq1oZdMl8miF2gXzjVfF7kmzH72-dUuo

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's set to "adult only" game on Steam, unlike the first revival game, huh.

The game contains cutscenes with sex scenes but no explicit genitials are visible. Nipples might appear in some scenes as well. Sexual violence is not included or only partly in consensual sex scenes as part of the act but absolutely willingly. Drugs and alcohol are no main topic but can appear in story relevant quests and dialogues. Self-harm is not included.

Now it's no longer set to Adult Only.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Recently completed the 1st Larry revival and quite enjoyed it. Kinda disappointing that they're so scared of alienating fags and feminists, but it's a decent adventure.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1373430/view/2904217486089929404

You know Larry, but do you know the crazy bunch behind it?
This is Larry, and this is CrazyBunch

Hi, we are CrazyBunch, a production and development company for video games and interactive media from Hamburg, Germany. Our goal is to make CrazyBunch stand for outstanding user experiences, high quality design and excellent entertainment value. Our team consists of experienced game developers that have been working together successfully on many games for many years.

The now available demo for Larry's newest adventure "Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Dry Twice" let's you explore the beginning of Larry's journey to find his one and only true love: Faith.

We hope you'll enjoy it and don't forget to wishlist. Larry is coming (pun not taken on purpose) to your home on October 15!

And if you really missed the predecessor "Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry" - no problem - we got you covered:

Sratopotator

Savant
I'm really wondering if this is worth trying out/buying.

I recently played the first part of the reinstallment, and the experience was very strange - apart from the obvious flaws, like easy puzzles, completely nonsensical plot, being way less funny than the originals (even though, in general, the originals were not that funny to begin with), one thing was really great - the tone and how Larry was depicted storywise.
I was really surprised that they managed to hit the spot here - one would expect this to be an afterthought in the times of toxic masculinity scare/paranoia, but nope - they generally done a good job here - even the gay/feminist stuff was done with taste and didn't overwhelm the typical Larry tone. Which had to be really hard, or had a perfectly balanced and smart direction.

If the second game is better in any area than the first one, and the tone is similar, this could be worth a purchase.
Of course I don't expect the plot to be any better - premise sounds really bad, and making a good story in these dark times seems impossible. But maybe other areas make it worthwhile?

I haven't even bought the first game in the new series yet, I'm waiting for at least 40% sale on gog to do so. But I DO want to buy it - that's how badly this stupid game fucked me up - I want to support the devs, but at the same time I really don't :( (I almost never find myself in this scenario).

Any opinions? If this is clearly worse than the first game, I won't even bother.

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
I'm really wondering if this is worth trying out/buying.

I recently played the first part of the reinstallment, and the experience was very strange - apart from the obvious flaws, like easy puzzles, completely nonsensical plot, being way less funny than the originals (even though, in general, the originals were not that funny to begin with), one thing was really great - the tone and how Larry was depicted storywise.
I was really surprised that they managed to hit the spot here - one would expect this to be an afterthought in the times of toxic masculinity scare/paranoia, but nope - they generally done a good job here - even the gay/feminist stuff was done with taste and didn't overwhelm the typical Larry tone. Which had to be really hard, or had a perfectly balanced and smart direction.

If the second game is better in any area than the first one, and the tone is similar, this could be worth a purchase.
Of course I don't expect the plot to be any better - premise sounds really bad, and making a good story in these dark times seems impossible. But maybe other areas make it worthwhile?

I haven't even bought the first game in the new series yet, I'm waiting for at least 40% sale on gog to do so. But I DO want to buy it - that's how badly this stupid game fucked me up - I want to support the devs, but at the same time I really don't :( (I almost never find myself in this scenario).

Any opinions? If this is clearly worse than the first game, I won't even bother.

I've been playing for a couple of hours, so far I find it at least on par with the first one if not better. Can't say I remember any puzzles from the 1st one, but this one had a couple of enjoyable ones so far (apart from the first section that's basically a continuation of the tutorial and only a couple of locations long, but it opens up more in the 2nd part, and I hope it continues along those lines). I also like that it isn't afraid to make fun of the, erm, current political sensibilities, so it should be right up the Codex alley there, possibly also why it's being completely ignored by the games media.

Last edited:

Sratopotator

Savant
El Pollo Diablo That sounds relatively promising - 'first several hours not being worse than in the first one' is good enough in this case. I'll try it out and consider a purchase. Thanks.

Sratopotator

Savant
Confirming - it seems on par/better than the first one. At least puzzles, and story structure - main story arch is retarded, but plays like a detective investigation, which is cool - a lot better than the character-centered archs in the first part of the reboot. Plays more like a classical adventure game - with, you know, actual 'adventure' (more linear structure, better sense of exploration, a bit of intrigue etc).
Purchased. Worth trying out, at least.

Last edited:

Sratopotator

Savant
Truth to be told, it's actually good! Not perfect, or even 'really good', but plain good (with caveats, as usual).
Some super light spoilers below.

It has a nicely designed structure - after the tutorial "chapter" with few easy areas, you get a chapter with typical adventure-y conglomerate of about 10 places (they probably take about 2-6 hours to complete), and only after this is done, you open the next chapter with a map of several islands to explore. You still maintain the connection to the island from chapter 2, which in turn opens up and changes to a satisfying degree. This happens once though, so don't expect the world changing constantly.
Some areas unlock immediately in the associated chapters, and some are gated - this is nicely balanced, the game gives you many areas to explore at once, but still rewards you with new "major" ones after completing puzzles.

The puzzles are fine - not all of them mind you, but the majority is nice. While generally on the easy side, they are balanced enough to often bang your head against the wall, but still find a solution - and then realize "I could've thought of that sooner!".
At least one puzzle is waaay too pixel hunt-y - usual pixel hunting is non-existent, but suddenly one puzzle is based on this to an absurd degree, without any advice, and even with a non-direct suggestion that the solution is about finding an item/area/dialog node. Maybe a big-ass screen would help here (i have 27" with short sitting distance, so I doubt that). I had to look it up one the web.
Also, 1/3rd of the puzzles have dumb-ass, moronic setups/premises, so if this really bothers you, handle the game with care. Same goes for stupid plot hooks (more about story below).

What else? Areas are pretty. Some characters and dialogues are fun and interesting (most are forgettable though). VO/subs mismatch here and there, voices for the female characters are often annoyingly cartoonish, but apart from that VO is good/acceptable. Amount of POI on each map is high, but there are not that many "useless" ones - in a good way, mind you (potential use of objects is obvious and transparent only in some cases).
Oh, there is a choice made early, that causes some dialogues throughout the game to be a bit different. I hoped that it will visibly affect the game to bigger degree, which it didn't, but I won't bother with completing it for the second time, just to double check.

Story is... bad. Premise is nonsense, same as the previous Larry game. Individual parts of the story are nonsense too. It feels more like a series of excuses for what has been included in the game, than something interesting in itself.
But, what has been included is not bad! The tropical treasure island setting sounds cheesy, but it's executed quite well. It even fits the Larry tone, with its sleazy resort vibe. All in all, the bad story did not really put me off that much - you don't really care about it, when investigating leads to complete your goals - while enjoying the positive stuff which is in the game.
On the other hand, some players may not care enough to play the game at all after realizing that they hunt one macguffin after another to push a dumb plot forward. Unfortunately, stories even in good adventure games are not really THAT thought-out - Larry Twice Wet is just a bit below average in this area.
Oh, the detective vibe for the first chapter past the "tutorial" is also nicely executed. It dissolves later on, so don't expect the whole game to be like that, but it's a nice touch.

The ending is meh. Nothing special. It's unnecessarily stretched - from what I recollect, first game ended a bit abruptly, so now the devs overdid it in the opposite direction, trying to balance it out. It's not catastrophic though - could be worse, could be better.
Some puzzle setups/set pieces near the end are really fun, and some are just a waste of player's time - last, most climactic scene basically just stops in the middle for Larry to complete a multi-area puzzle.

It actually reminds me of Deponia a bit, which I enjoyed. A bit better in some areas and a slightly worse in others.
It's quite long, charming at times, entertains where it's meant to entertain, and throws actually good puzzles at the player here and there. Obviously, barely holds up in the story department, but I think no one expected it to be any different.
Worth buying a lot more than the first reboot. For real, it's not even arguable - first one is barely worth playing, when compared to decent adventure games, and this one here.

Sratopotator

Savant
Sorry for the dump. Had an urge.
Also, fuck those other games related pages :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom