Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lenght of NWN 2 lolz

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here is a quote from Feargus Urquhart from a mini interview in a german games magazine about NWN2:
(I retlanslated it into english)

Q: How long will it take to beat NWN 2?
A: Its difficult to estimate it exactly, but you'll play 20 hours for sure. We want to ensure that a maximum number of players completes the game, and there are only few who play longer then 20 hours.

Well NWN 2 is gonna suck anyway, but its sad to see that the game lenght of 20h which would have been the minimum limit for FPS a few years ago is now applied to RPGs.
Not to mention the fact that by "youll play 20 hours for sure" he propably means rather "the game will take you 15 hours to complete max, if you 'enjoy' the game and dont rush trough it - whatever that means- it will take you 1 or 2 hours longer"

And the logic behind making a game shorter to ensure that more ADD kiddies actually complete it is beyond me.

HotSnack

Cipher
And yet the same audience they're referring to is gushing over about how oblivion is 400+ hours.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And yet the same audience they're referring to is gushing over about how oblivion is 400+ hours."

YOu sure it's the exact same audience? An overlap, yes, the same no.

Anyways, 20 hours? Hmmm.. A few months ago it was 30-40 hours... WOWSERS!!!!

That better be one heck of a campaign with lots, lots, lots, lots, lots, lots of role-playing to make up for such shortness........

Heck, JE was around 30 hours for those who actually played it, and not just smash the buttons as quick as possible, lol, who took 10-20 hours.

R00fles!

Slylandro

Scholar
That's pretty disappointing. Only 20 hours? Hell even KOTOR took a little longer than that I think. It better be one of those "short but sweet" kind of games. Oh well. Maybe the shortness is a hint that lots of the game will be nonlinear? :?

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
I'd much rather player a great 20 hour game than a good 40 hour one. Usually RPGs pad their time with backtracking and hack n' slashing. It strikes me as hilarious (as it appears to have struck HotSnack) that the demonic "stupid masses" love both super long games (Oblivion, MMORPGs) and super short games. They just hate it when the game is just right, eh? :roll:

HotSnack

Cipher
Volourn said:
YOu sure it's the exact same audience? An overlap, yes, the same no.
Yeah, I concede. I put that comment down to sleep depravation and working all weekend.

Edit: The main point of my post still stands though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I'd much rather player a great 20 hour game than a good 40 hour one. Usually RPGs pad their time with backtracking and hack n' slashing. It strikes me as hilarious (as it appears to have struck HotSnack) that the demonic "stupid masses" love both super long games (Oblivion, MMORPGs) and super short games. They just hate it when the game is just right, eh?"

To me, this jsut means that most customers don't really care how long game is. It just matters if they enjoy or if they feel (as to determine if a game is worthy of a purchase) it while they play it - whether it's 20 hours , 50 hours, or 100 hours.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Whoa, some people say Gothic 2 is short and it recently took me more than 80 hours (with NotR).

If the game is great and offers much replayability, being short may not be a bad thing. (Case: Fallout)

I just hope the plot isn't the famous non-linear "You have to find 4..." again...

Zomg

Arbiter
It annoys me how self-serving the arguments devs/publishers make for shortening games are. Of course a great 20 hour game is better than a 50 hour game with the same content spread out, and if the pacing is particularly good it might even be better than a 50 hour game with somewhat more content, but this is being done to cut the amount of cargo they have to put on the disk, not for any artistic reason.

Length is just another casualty of the upward spiral of budgets..

bryce777

Erudite
WouldBeCreator said:
I'd much rather player a great 20 hour game than a good 40 hour one. Usually RPGs pad their time with backtracking and hack n' slashing. It strikes me as hilarious (as it appears to have struck HotSnack) that the demonic "stupid masses" love both super long games (Oblivion, MMORPGs) and super short games. They just hate it when the game is just right, eh? :roll:

A really good game I don't even get into for the first 20 fucking hours.

gromit

Arcane
I hope hope hope that that's a "time to complete the main quest" estimate, like how the "100+ hour" Oblivion can have its main quest licked quickly, but "there are only few who play longer then 20 hours" doesn't give me much hope. C'mon, sidequests and meaningful replayability! Pretty please? :oops:

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
I really think that that is an estimate for how long someone could go through the main quest. Hopefully, anyway. I would expect there to be enough sidequests to bump it up to 25-30 hours.

And no way was Jade Empire 30 hours. I did almost every sidequest and beat it in about 22. It takes less than 15 if you're just rushing through it.

Micmu

Magister
Are they crazy? They expect me to pay for 20 hours of linear "fun"? Farewell NWN 2.
Goodbye and good riddance.

Next.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
FearGut said:
A: Its difficult to estimate it exactly, but you'll play 20 hours for sure. We want to ensure that a maximum number of players completes the game, and there are only few who play longer then 20 hours.
I like the idea that making it any longer takes away from people completing the game. Gets a bit boring after that then does it?

LlamaGod

Cipher
Llyranor said:
How long did Fallout take?

As long as you wanted it to. The game left you to go about your over-arching goal how you wanted. STraight for it or do side quests.

Ultima 4 was quite similiar. The game says 'Hey, go become the Avatar' and sets you in the world and you go and do all the various requirements however the fuck you want.

NWN2 is a set in stone game, where you have a start, middle and end structured already and you just play them out.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Least we can camp for Free User made campaigns :)

I never looked forward to NWN official campaigns after the first one.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
FO took 10-20 hours to finish. There's simply not a lot to do in the game. If it took you longer than 20 hours you are simply a moron. Period.

Drain

Scholar
FearGut said:
How about writing an engaging story to ensure that a maximum number of people completes the game?

obediah

Erudite
Volourn said:
Heck, JE was around 30 hours for those who actually played it, and not just smash the buttons as quick as possible, lol, who took 10-20 hours.

Volourn said:
FO took 10-20 hours to finish. There's simply not a lot to do in the game. If it took you longer than 20 hours you are simply a moron. Period.

wow.

Drakron

Arcane
Remenber that 20 hours in developerish (the strange language developers use in interviews that even if it looks similar to english and/or other human languages it very diferent) actually means 5 hours.

obediah

Erudite
Drakron said:
Remenber that 20 hours in developerish (the strange language developers use in interviews that even if it looks similar to english and/or other human languages it very diferent) actually means 5 hours.

I can't decide if it's because all devs are lying ass bandits, or because beta testers are hourly employees.

I really want something to convince me to buy NWN2, but the fates seem to be conspiring against me. at this rate, they're will probably be a sticker on the box saying "You're going to hate this one just as much as the first."

Perhaps the JE tactic will work though, my thumbs and sensibilties were just starting to get sore when the credits rolled - it sucked that fast :). If they make JE2, I may just spend another $20 on it so Sideways Vagina can see some more action.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Elwro said:
I just hope the plot isn't the famous non-linear "You have to find 4..." again...
So, you are still unaware that when you were just a baby a big war culminated in West Harbour between the Githyanki and this Sorcerer. At the end of the battle there was a giant explosion, and what had happened was that the sword of the commander of the Githyanki basically explodes. And shatters. And not just shatters so there's a piece underneath the desk... but scatters across the planes. What you find out is that there's a piece in you, which is why these people are all after you
(c)http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63757
:)

Drakron

Arcane
So we got a piece and just need to find the other 3, eat then and shit the sword?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom