Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let Me Trainwreck Final Fantasy VII For You! (Completed!)

LarsTheSurly

Scholar
I'm glad so many people seem to like this, considering it's questionable quality

I think it's hilarious, but the humor is probably lost on someone who hasn't played the game. I also have a buddy who is a huge FF7 fanboy, and this makes me think about what an idiot he is. :D

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Aww... Well, be nice to him. We all need a FF7-fanboy in our midst. It's for the same reason girls need a fat best friend that make them look hot(ter) by comparison.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Suikoden 3 has a much better better everything than Suikoden 5.

(Picture of why Suikoden 3 is awesome goes here. Probably the one with that badass duck dude.)

Fez

Erudite
I thought that Suikoden 3 was meant to be one of the worst and far worse than 1 or 2?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Really? I've always heard, and I have always agreed, that Suikoden 3 is the best in the series. But I dunno. I like them all. Except for the Tactics spinoff. That was a waste of time.

Shoelip

Arbiter
The only other Suikoden I've played was 2 and I only beat 5 so I don't know much. Damn JRPGs have too much grinding. It's amazing that Diablo 2 actually has pretty much no grinding in that if you kill every monster on your first run through an act you should be able to defeat the boss at the end without dying tons of times.

Oh yeah, and I thought four was supposed to be the worst because it has almost nothing to do with the others and has a really painfully annoying sailing mechanic or something. Course it sounded kind of cool to me in concept, just the reviews said the execution was very bad. Also, the main character's pants are really horrible.

Suikoden 3 got bad reviews as well I think...

I always heard that 2 was the best, and some think 1 was second best but others say it really wasn't that good and it's just nostalgia making them think that. They say 5 is second best I guess.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Personally, I've always ranked the Suikoden-series like this:

Suikoden 3 & 1 (tie) (oh yeah, tie your mother down! fuck yeah, Freddie!)
Suikoden 5
Suikoden 4
And last and least: Suikoden 2 - because while it looks better than Suikoden 1 and gives you more to do than Suikoden 1 and strives to improve from Suikoden 1, it really isn't any kinds of better than Suikoden 1. Probably the worst game in the series. Horrible story. Annoying characters. Buggy as hell. Mediocre translation. The minigames, well, at least you can skip them. If I didn't do Final Fantasy VII, I'd definitely do Suikoden 2. It's a good game and all, easily better than all the other jRPGs that doesn't begin with "Suikoden". But compared to the rest? Hell no.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I actually liked Suikoden 2, much better than 1 and 3. The first one had an equally bad translation. Stories were both kind of interesting. The second one actually tried to make the 60-70 playable character a little distinct from one another as opposed to the same 4 or 5 archetypes that everyone in the first one did. I guess I liked the big battles from the first one more though.

I didn't play it, but I always heard that 4 was the by far the biggest piece of shit in the series.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
FrancoTAU said:
I actually liked Suikoden 2
Yeah, well you smell funny! :roll:

Eh, I like it too. But damn me to hell if I don't want to see Pilika get eaten by wolves. I hope there's fanart of that.

Inziladun

Magister
I've only played Suikoden 5, and I liked it. A lot, actually, considering I don't get too many jollies off on JRPGs. Would it be worth my time to go back and play some of the older ones?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The answer is probably yes. Suikoden have a lot of backstory and 5 is a prequel if I'm not mistaken so it's a good place to jump on.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I think the chronology goes something like 4, long timeskip, 5, 1, 2, 3.

The prince is a sensitive badass. :lol:

Fez

Erudite
I get bored with most JRPGs and don't like a lot of them, but I did enjoy it and a couple of other titles.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I don't think any PS2 emulators really work yet. The PS2 is really cheap now though if you can find the games. Course you could still try Suikoden 1 and 2 I guess.

Inziladun

Magister
Suikoden 3 probably wouldn't be too hard to find, but 1 and 2 will probably be. Then again, I'm sure finding the roms won't be all that easy either, considering all the old rom sites I used to know have long since been closed. But I have no qualms about buying them, as long as they don't go for hundreds of dollars (IE. FF7).

Edit: Or like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 40&sr=8-11
and to a lesser degree, this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all
Ridiculous.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
300 wackaroonies for Suikoden 2? That sounds a bit too much. I'd try giving them a hundred first. See if they go for that.

About Suikoden 2: make sure you download (IF you download, tee-hee) a iso-file that's been tested. There's a corrupt one floating around causing heartbreak about halfway through the game.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
A lot of those PS1 RPGs outside of Squaresoft had low print runs because the Japanese thought they wouldn't sell. So, all the Atlus games, Suikoden 1+2, Valkyrie Profile are collectibles. I'd just pirate them and feel no remorse. Overpaying for them is just putting some money in some geek's wallet and not the dev or publisher.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I thought Suikoden 3 was alright. It didn't really stand out to me though.

What are you going to name Cait Sith, Locue? Do what you did with Red XIII and name him Reeve?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Should have named him Red 1337. :P

Or whatever the roman numeral for that is.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Sovy Kurosei said:
I thought Suikoden 3 was alright. It didn't really stand out to me though.

What are you going to name Cait Sith, Locue? Do what you did with Red XIII and name him Reeve?
OMG SPOILER!!

But yes, probably. Unless I get cool suggestions.

LarsTheSurly

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
Sovy Kurosei said:
OMG SPOILER!!

But yes, probably. Unless I get cool suggestions.

Well let's see. He's a tiny annoying cat(?) with a megaphone on top of a big fat body. I think the little creature with the megaphone would be pretty damn irritating, and the fat body is kind of gross. So you're left with a repulsive fatass with a loud and grating voice...

You might name him Roseanne.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom