Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's abandon Xenonauts on page 5

Ashery

Prophet
so title lies !!!!!1 its abandoned on pagan 4 !!!1111!!one!1111

It just means there's more people to be disappointed when he finally gives in, as most of those posts are from people signing up.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
so title lies !!!!!1 its abandoned on pagan 4 !!!1111!!one!1111

Technically my last post was on page 3 so... :troll:

It just means there's more people to be disappointed when he finally gives in, as most of those posts are from people signing up.

You can all blame Scrooge for making me play Ori & the blind forest instead. I spent what precious little free time I had this weekend trying to escape the Ginso tree. My save file has 146 extra deaths after I finally cleared the whole thing. Most of them spent in the last sequence with the rising water where a single mistimed jump kills you and puts you back to start.
:negative:

Update tonight, before 9PM CET at the latest.

Last edited:

eklektyk

Erudite
im too old for platformers ....even in my prime i sucked and disliked them so ....
but i give u one: game is beautifull and nice showcase why art direction in games matters

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
September, bloody september
QluzSmD.png

Our eggheads uncover the secrets of alien alloys. They're the first step (second is plasma pistols, which we start on next) on the way to getting better armor.
uFY2l3W.jpg

More UFOs are detected by our new&improved radar array. Sawyer and Avellone are scrambled to intercept. They have a longer range and higher speed than if you couple them with condors. On the downside, they can't roll to evade fire in combat and they don't have a cannon hardpoint.
qM5fg1W.png

To make matters worse, we forgot to rearm them with sidewinders. Avalanche torpedoes are way too slow to use effectively against small scouts and alien fighters. We're going to need a masterful shot here men.
FxTBjuK.png

...which Sawyer delivers! Nearly point blank, from the side to prevent rolling. MCA makes the best of the shitty tools I've handed to him.
:mca:

hTOcobe.jpg

The helicopter lands a bit away from the crash site. If at all possible, you want to wait until dawn before starting them. You're at a huge disadvantage at night. We also bring some new blood along.
Private Dayyalu replaces the late 4249 on shieldmaiden duty. Private Lightbane gets to make a temporary appearance while Scrooge is back at base playing football manager 1980 getting continued treatment for plasma burns.

iwgzAoT.jpg

The shieldmaidens are sent in to soak reaction fire scout ahead. It's another godforsaken andhairastan village. Good news for us! The civilized world won't care if a few of the locals die in the crossfire!
:troll:

ByGsCPO.jpg

1SpRDfT.jpg

It seems the aliens already took care of a russian tank before crashing. Lots of the map uncovered, but still no contacts...

NAi5g5B.jpg

Oop! Spoke too soon! Zdzisiu finds a lizard hiding behind a wall. The angle is really retarded. We can see each other, but the walls still grant 100% cover to both sides.
:x

gqSDpMr.jpg

Roxor lays down Tactical Kurwa to suppress while his teammates prepare to rush

iI3ZNbp.jpg

1tgWbZC.jpg

And lightbane lays down the law! :incline:

Wy8cIeh.jpg

While we wasted several turns and tons of ammo on this, private Dayyalu has been out suicide scouting. The xenos sent out another soldier to see what all the ruckus was about.

2pqmvf6.jpg

Profreshinal lobs a flashbang through the window to stun the reptile...

E3Tmuy9.jpg

...allowing zdzisiu to close for the kill!

tQTAr4g.jpg

Disaster strikes on the alien turn! Plasma spews forth from inside one of the houses! (WTF!? Aliens used to never be inside houses in xnauts beta! Hax!)

FoBew92.jpg

dqngwYk.jpg

darth-vader-nooooo.jpg

He's down! :negative:

YEhEA4w.jpg

QBGFhEm.jpg

Jagreenlern avenges his fallen comrade while Roxor perforates another lizard foolish enough to exit the UFO.

EpBF2Uj.jpg

Profreshinal finds another lizard hiding in a house

2UNPzsW.jpg

vIft9sT.jpg

But instead of firing at our shieldmaiden, it jumps through the window (!!!) and rushes for the backup soldiers!

MPDL9y5.jpg

lsSK5X6.jpg

Brotherfrank barely survives the reaction fire exchange and sprays the lizardman with bullets.

rBIdDHV.jpg

Luckily for him, Jagreenlern carries a medkit, or we'd have another bro down this mission.

bnfJmuu.jpg

Roxor takes care of the last technician that's huddling inside the UFO

VmHbLK8.png

By a stroke of outrageous fortune, Lightbane survived his injuries! :incline:
There's a tiny chance every downed xenonaut survives on 1hp after the mission. Both Lightbane and Brotherfrank gain a purple heart for surviving intense plasma burns. The first medals of many in our campaign to cleanse Terra!

More incoming. But I had to make my self-imposed deadline

Ashery

Prophet
There's a tiny chance every downed xenonaut survives on 1hp after the mission. Both Lightbane and Brotherfrank gain a purple heart for surviving intense plasma burns.

Isn't it dependent on how far in the negative your hitpoints are?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The ride never ends!

RvPfhUb.jpg

The rest of the month is mostly uneventful. Not because UFOs don't show up. But because I get a whole lot of this kind of message before we intercept.

iejLpmI.png

I also neglected to give Sawyer&Avellone sidewinders, so they're pretty ineffective vs small scouts... :negative:

86D4nTi.png

However, it gives our eggheads time to fire captured xeno weapons at all kinds of materials to see what melts the slowest. This in turn opens up for body armor research. Yes, soon our men will be clad in impenetrable Sovietanuim! Great news!

TcUqnRg.jpg

More failures to intercept... This is going to look bad on the monthly report.

8k41vci.jpg

Methods to shaping Sovietanium are perfected. It's pretty expensive, but so are fresh bodies for the grinder.

CpWfWQL.jpg

The aliens begin sending fighters to shoot down civilian and military aircraft. I forgot to screenshot the fight, but this one didn't get away. I'm torn between running all-foxtrots with avalanche/sidewinder mixed loadouts or fox/condor squadrons. The former will have way better odds of intercepting UFOs, but the latter is better in a fight.

aWZBTct.jpg

After tons of failed attempts, we finally bag us a UFO. We only have one suit of sovietanium armor, so I flipped a coin to determine which shotgunner gets it. They're statistically the ones most likely to get shot. (Well, the shieldmaidens are. But they already have sovietanium shields).

9jgyWfl.jpg

In case I haven't mentioned -- The community edition comes with a bunch of new maps from Skitso's map pack. After playing a shitload of the beta, it's a true joy to see new maps.

UNOdVRh.jpg

Dayyalu makes first contact. Lizards up close. This could be a problem if it burst fires and melts the sovietanium.

3LewWlw.jpg

To stop that from happening, scrooge lobs a flashbang over the wall.

ZamUMcg.jpg

Then rushes in to execute! :incline:

NFMk33F.jpg

Since our other shieldmaiden is currently cowering behind a container elsewhere, Zdzisiu is temporarely promoted to meatshield scout. Soon as he opens his first door, an alien is spotted! Bad news for the lizardman: Zdzisiu has 75% of his TUs left and a full clip of pain to deliver. :smug:

9TbFYwG.jpg

Profreshinal finally stops cowering behind the container. (His sovietanium shield got melted off-screen by the lizard that's fleeing into the trainyard).

Feh9Fwp.jpg

But while it's distracted, Zdzisiu can run up behind it - safe from reaction fire - and shove his hyperweapon up its cloaca!

PRzshNa.jpg

Scrooge and Dayyalu continue their sweep through the eastern half of the map with great success.

hg41hEF.jpg

Dayyalu spots and stuns the lizards...

2OzDeSK.jpg

...And then Scrooge rushes in to execute! :incline:

VKi7Esp.jpg

Once all teams have finished their sweeps, they converge on the UFO. Past experience has shown that there'll usually be 1-4 aliens in the immediate area around the vessel.

9iZEdlR.jpg

This time however, there was only one. A quick flashbang + point blank shotgun later and it's time for tea and medals!

Fcp0eLR.png

Lots of promotions this time around. Stuffing everyones backpack full of C4 also pays off. Everyone increases their strength score. The first Order of Gallantry goes - unsurprisingly - to a shotgunner. But several others are only 1-2 kills away from a medal of their own.

piU0W2A.png

8TH5OpK.jpg

yw9aJLQ.png

BiyAb8U.png

owBu75y.png

More research is finished by our magnetism experts. Alien plasma rifle unlocked laser weaponry research. I was tempted to go for alien biology research first since stun rockets are really handy. But more dakka won out in the end.

HTFpjki.jpg

After all, we gotta keep the engineers busy or else what's the point of paying their salary?

tVgIfV4.jpg

And with that, September comes to an end.

I'm not sure if I'm entirely happy with how it played out. It could've been worse - it could've been better. I kind of wish we'd have been able to shoot down and clear a large scout before october. But our fighters were bloody unlucky when it came to intercepting before going bingo fuel.

We also need to get a secondary base up and running asap. Kwanzania and Asia are both pretty butthurt at us at the moment. The goal for october is to make at least one of the two regions go green in funding again. A secondary base and enough foxtrots to start shooting down UFOs. Here's hoping...

Last edited:

Ashery

Prophet
Considering that it takes a good 20 days to get a base up and running, SA could be fucked even if you do build a base there immediately. NA lost the second most, but has some degree of a buffer left, while SA lost a full 60%+ of its funding total in one month.

I'm actually surprised that you didn't lose more funding overall, though. I mean shit, Indochina's in the green? How'd that happen?

Ashery

Prophet
...This is because you only recently found out that I lived in the US after mistaking me for an Aussie after all these years, isn't it? :cry:

Luka-boy

Arcane
There's a tiny chance every downed xenonaut survives on 1hp after the mission. Both Lightbane and Brotherfrank gain a purple heart for surviving intense plasma burns.

Isn't it dependent on how far in the negative your hitpoints are?
Yes. I don't remember most of the numbers right now but there's a base chance of revival at the end of a successful mission if the soldier falls with zero health points. Said chance becomes lower if the soldier fell with negative health points, so a soldier that fell with negative five health points has a better chance of surviving than one that fell with negative twelve.

What I remember for sure is that a soldier that falls with negative twenty health points or worse has no chance of reviving at the end of the mission.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The Red October

All right. I'm going to invoke the "skip stuff where nothing much happens" clause, because otherwise todays update will never be done.

qZFDWLd.jpg

Another light scout is shot down. while the crew is en-route to the crash site another ufo is spotted on land.
Laded UFOs have more crew but also potentially more salvage. So that's what we're going for.

opsNBB8.png

Mission was fairly uneventful. Some newfag named Kalin got shot in the back right at the start, but the lizards were dealt with in short order. The other site (crash site) was airstriked, since it would decau before we could do it in daylight. (And no sane man does a night mission).

NKegbmw.png

TdWaLC1.png

vBhBcLp.png

F78Oa7u.png

2zMcsBp.png
A few quiet days follow. Laser weapons are produced, the eggheads research away. People cry in the infirmery.

GUha5NJ.jpg

Followed by not one, not two but three! simultaneous contacts!

MhpWMRj.jpg

Of a new and bigger type! Oh my!

YcMKOMQ.jpg

The chopper is sent to the first crash site while the interceptors try to shoot down the third for a hat trick.

AEwdAUO.png

The first one goes pretty well. Lizards were more numerous but - besides some tense moments storming the ufo - nothing much happened. Zdzisiu gets some plasma burns and goes to hide in the helicopter cockpit. (Don't worry about the skipping, there's a large scout mission in a moment).

ZpVFUm9.jpg

7 people should totally be enough for one of these missions. Instead of refuelling, the Shoutbox is ordered on to the second crash site. (While interceptors are still trying to take down the third UFO).

3GZ66lW.png

This, too, goes pretty well. Dayyalu gets some plasma burn - but that is the lot of a shieldmaiden. Lt Profreshinal gets +bravery after soiling his pants. not from anything the aliens did, but the suppression from Roxors tactical kurwa made him break and flee!
:decline:

qJzOO7p.jpg

A sane commander would send his lads home with a "job well done". but I am not a sane commander and a hat trick is tantalizingly within reach. :smug:

d6Pzto1.jpg

Everything starts out quiet enough (save for the injured personnel missing). First sight of the larger UFO.

8pBax5L.jpg

Caesans this time. I was wondering where these buggers had gone off to. Nearly every mission we've had so far has been reptiles.

St9vII3.jpg

Luzurette fails to hit. Brotherfrank has to clean up the mess with a conventional rifle.

6QJYiAb.jpg

Scrooge is off scouting and runs into trouble. At this distance, she's unlikely to hit and will probably get shot if she moves closer. she fires off a snap shot (for the +1acc at end of mission) and runs for cover around the corner.

J6nZnCS.jpg

Roxor spot another and lays down the Tactical Kurwa. He fails to hit anything. :decline:

NPoJFyH.jpg

On the next turn, the alien has moved. Big mistake, as it is now in optimal shotgunning range. The Murderfrau chalks up another!

U0HsNQp.jpg

Dayyalu takes some fire before Roxor gets his shit together and murders the grey in his second salvo. Fortunately for all involved, most people carry medkits.

nYCTijF.jpg

Meanwhile, Jagreenlern soils his pants after the alien psionicist channels prosperland into his brain.

8fvdc1I.jpg

The aliens try to rush out of the UFO - straight into tons of reaction fire :smug:

ePKAZzW.jpg

It seems like an open & shut case. Profreshinal lobs a stun grenade into the UFO

w8QcQsV.jpg

But it turns out that a third alien was hiding ut of LoS. It doesn't kill him, but reaction fire is enough to suppress him.

ihpxQ2h.jpg

Brotherfrank tries full auto in his face (luzur/roxor took care of the suppressed aliens) but misses all the shots.

CRO3eKR.jpg

...and that is the last mistake he ever makes! :salute:

TJk8JrT.jpg

Scrooge avenges the fallen

OLtzTLM.jpg

While Roxor handles the reinforcements :smug:

NxFcFlk.jpg

Another alien shows up on their turn. Using filthy wallhax (noone could see it but it could see us!) Jagreenlern is pumped full of plasma. :salute:

wPk2gqy.jpg

Scrooge avenges yet another fallen bro. :(

S51Z0Bc.png

That could've gone better. :(
we should probably have stopped after the second crash site. The kill on Jagreenlern is bullshit though. We had 5 ppl ready to reactionfire that door.

1JLnYJC.png

oREVJEv.jpg

L9wmkxj.jpg

VX7cdjk.png

GxdDIO1.png

KsiwdxC.png

P13JOqB.png

FcK2xvT.jpg

4AbIjWS.png
A long lull in the action follows. Many breakthroughs ar emade by our scientists. The upgraded battle armor is tantalizingly close, but we have no funds left to produce it with. and next month we'll probably be spending most of our cash on new planes.

FRqW0lN.jpg

Waifustan continues construction. Soon we'll be able to launch planes in Asia as well. I'm 99% certain we'll lose most of Kwa in november at the latest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

xqHsyCk.jpg

Another pair of scots get shot down. We'll have to airstrike one of them since they're too far apart.

EN9kTRJ.png

First Order of Terra is given out for many murderings of aliens! :incline:
Shotuns continue to be the glory hogs. The ridiculously low amount of TUs required to fire means they're first choice whenever an alien is suppressed and needs murdering up close. Medals for surving a bunch of missions are also given out to the origial crew - sans the lazy ones who skipped missions due to so-called "injuries".

jYjNYHw.jpg

The cash from the crash site is (barely) enough to finish a new foxtrot. Zeits is ready to take to the skies!

WpMAwZU.jpg

DonGVac.jpg

And just in time too, because we're about to take on our biggest UFO yet!

In the next update! :troll:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tis just a scratch!
I knew the (changes in?) shotguns make it a good choice.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
gun is dependable

i am very satisfied with gun

NKegbmw.png

Grandma Roxorowski blesses me from above with great riches

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really like the science flavor text in this game. It's great.

lightbane

Arcane
Cool updates! Good thing that my guy so far is alive. By the way, are you going to use tanks/vehicles?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Shot in the head with no aliens in sight!?

Flawless failure.
Only in X-co....cough, Xenonauts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom