Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's bathe in the Pool of Radiance - 14 - Kobold Massacre

korenzel

Educated
TABLE OF CONTENTS :

Party Generation - this post.

Update #1 - Getting Started
Update #2 - Magic Treasure
Update #3 - Bar Brawl
Update #4 - Trolls
Update #5 - Level Up
Update #6 - Sokal Keep
Update #7 - Hideout
Update #8 - Scouting Ahead
Update #9 - Desecration
Update #10 - Traps!
Update #11 - (Un)Death
Update #12 - City Cleanup
Update #13 - Random Wandering
Update #14 - Kobold Massacre

---------------------------------

Welcome, to my second LP contribution to the Codex. I will be playing a game I never finished or even got far into on my own, but I found that writing a Let's Play can be a great motivation to keep going.

VTzRZ.png

SSI ? AD&D ? 1988 ? What could it be ?

1yxs3.png

Pool of Radiance, that's what it is !

CdCqW.png

Created by the fine people listed here :salute:.

9JrB9.png

Let's get started... Where's the "Start Game" button ?
Looks like we're going to have to generate our party, and I will need your help.
We can have up to six adventurers.

tSMgf.png

The first step is to choose your race.
Race mainly influences what ability scores you can reach, as well as what class is available to your character.
Note that non human characters have a limit to how high they can advance in most classes, but Pool of Radiance isn't a high level D&D adventure, so don't worry too much.

Human characters cannot have more than one class, while all the others can have up to three.

65HZZ.png

Next comes the gender. As you can see in the ability chart at the end of the update, women are weaker than men, and don't get any benefit that I know of.

I2zGr.png

The next step is to choose a class. There are four classes available in Pool of Radiance :

Cleric : User of divine magic and decent fighther, can wear the heaviest armors and use blunt weapons.
Fighter : The best warriors are fighters. They can use any armor or weapon and have better chances to hit than anyone else.
Magic-User : Mages are users of arcane magic, generally very potent spells but with a severe restriction on the number available per day. They can't wear any armor and can only use daggers and quarterstaves, but some magic items like bracers can help protect them a bit.
Thief : Decent fighters and good at locating traps and other goodies, they are limited in how much armor they can wear and what weapon they can use.

Multi-Class characters combine the benefits of each of their classes without restriction. That means a Fighter/Magic-User can cast spells freely in full plate while wearing a long sword and a shield. The drawback is that each class advances at half (or a third) of the normal pace.

However, the experience progression is anything but linear in AD&D. While multi-class characters will always need double (or triple) the xp to reach the same level a single class would, they will usually only lag one or two level behind.

q6aD1.png

After deciding on your class, you can choose your alignment.

S816K.png

And finally, you get a first look at your character screen. Don't worry about the stats yet.

9tAre.png

The next step is to choose a head and body.

D3gde.png

Your avatar can have a head and a body of your choosing. Here are the faces available.

fqTr0.png

And here are the different bodies. Some are definitely more male or female looking than others, but Pool of Radiance doesn't prevent any combination of head and body.

HAg34.png

Next is the generation of an icon to represent the character on the battlefield during tactical battles.
You can change the colors of any part, as well as use different heads and weapons.
These can be changed at any time during camps. I'll make them fit our party members' heads and bodies as best I can, and change the weapons depending on what they are mostly using.

zb12C.png

Finally, you can modify the stats of your character as you want, in the boundaries of race limits.

Strength determines how hard you hit and how well you use melee weapons.
Intelligence determines how good you are at casting arcane spells.
Wisdom determines how good you are at casting divine spells.
Dexterity determines how hard to hit you are and how well you use missile weapons.
Constitution determines how much bonus hit points you get per level, and how likely you are to be resurrected.
Charisma determines your general appearance and how good looking you are.

Note that ability scores between 8 and 14 generally don't provide any benefit or drawback.

I have no preferred rule to generate stats. Use point-buy, roll dices, adjust as you want or set everything to the maximum, it's your choice.

Fighters will want a high strength, Clerics a high wisdom, Magic-Users a high intelligence and Thieves a high dexterity, as you get an experience bonus when those attributes are high enough.

I will max out HPs for characters on level one.

EJ38n.png

The stats and classes available for each race are summed up in this nice little table.

------------------------------------------------------

Recruitment will keep going until we have six or more adventurers ready to begin. If there are more than six, I'll pick the best roll dices.

Now, you may ask yourself "What am I joining for ?". The Adventurers Journal provides the answer :

Adventurers Journal said:
FREE NEW PHLAN!
The New Phlan City Council is leading the fight to free their captive city. Heroes are retaking the city block by block from evil hordes.

RICHES & FAME!
The council is looking for soldiers and rogues, mages and clerics, heroes of all kinds, to come to New Phlan. The wealth and land of an ancient city await those willing to reach out and take it.

GLORY!
Legends will be written about the heroic struggle to free New Phlan! Ships to New Phlan depart twice monthly. When you arrive, see the New Phlan City Council for the latest news and information.

MAKE YOUR FORTUNE IN NEW PHLAN!

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Lawl, I tried to copy the hot blond face onto the naked muscle body and Photoshop crashed :lol:

Blond, hot, half efl thief. Have fun.

edit

Sweet, it crashed again. Disregard my application. I am not gonna follow.

I forgot, can human's multi-class in the Gold Box games? If so, then sign me up as:

Human (Half-Elf if need be)
Fighter/Mage
The head with the angry, balding dude with white hair

Str:18:XX
Dex:18
Con:17
Int:17
Wis:8
Cha:4

Or whatever is easiest/least cheesy/most fun/etc. for stats.

korenzel

Educated
I'll edit the bodies and faces pictures to add letters for easy pickings.

Humans cannot multi-class in AD&D. They can advance as high as they want in classes, but finding a high level trainer to teach them can be tricky. Level restrictions on other races mean they have the most potential when they multi-class, unless they go for thievery.

The clue book states that the game uses level and ability scaling to some extent, so a party of demigods will face higher challenges than one with characters of mid range stats. I haven't played the game enough to know whether that is true or not, we will see depending on our party and my memories of the game.

MMXI

Arcane
Name
Godfrey

Race
Human

Class
Cleric

Alignment
Lawful Good

Aesthetics
Head: Second column, second row (F).
Body: First column, third row (I).

Attributes (power gaming)
Strength: 18 (00)
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 8+
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 8+

Attributes (fair)
Strength: 16+
Dexterity: 16+
Constitution: 15+
Intelligence: 3+
Wisdom: 17+
Charisma: 3+

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Race
Elf

Class
Mage/thief

Alignment
Neutral good

Looks
Head G
Body G

Stats
Str 15+
Dex 19
Con 16
Int 18
Wis 8+
Cha8+

Name
Pariah

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:love:

Bee-chan
Half-elf
Female (sorry :P)
Cleric/Fighter/Magic-user
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Head: L
Body: B :P

Str: 17
Dex: 14+
Con: 16+
Int: 18
Wis: 18
Cha: 8+

I suck at AD&D so feel free to adjust my build if need be

EDIT. Also, this thread really needs Kuroneko, female elven magic-user/thief. Too bad Black Cat is MIA again :/

SoupNazi

MMXI said:
Name
Soup

Race
Dwarf

Class
Fighter

Alignment
Chaotic Good

Aesthetics
Head: H.
Body: B.

Attributes
Strength: 18
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 19
Intelligence: 3
Wisdom: 3
Charisma: 3

I probably got the stats wrong.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
My dude:

Tried not to cheat too much, I hate games that let you edit attributes, it's too tempting. :P

2naviqh.jpg

juggernaut

Educated
Bloodfist Rageskull
Elf
Male
Fighter/Magic-User/Thief
True Neutral
Head: E
Body: B :M

Str: 16+
Int: 16+
Wis: 3+
Dex: 16+
Con: 12+
Cha: 8+

korenzel

Educated
Pussycat669 said:
Are you planing to go through the entire series?
I'll see how the first game goes before making such a long term commitment.

Here are the intrepid adventurers who met on the ship to New Phlan :

61izT.png

N17nB.png

rmpS1.png

1vvgm.png

yfQwb.png

XEJo7.png

KhelV.png

I've taken the liberty to raise the xx+ stats to the maximum, especially when they are critical like dexterity. I have also given Bee-chan godly stats, since we'll need a party spokes(wo)man and everyone used Charisma as a dump stat.

The unlucky codexer who will have to wait for another group will be decided by the throw of a d20 :
1-2 Edward R Murrow
3-4 Godfrey
5-6 Pariah
7-8 Bee-chan
9-10 Soup
11-12 Excidium
13-14 Bloodfist
15-20 Throw Again

And the result is.... 10. Sorry Soup, your dwarf would have been most useful as a tank.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Poor Soup. :/

korenzel said:
Pussycat669 said:
Are you planing to go through the entire series?
I'll see how the first game goes before making such a long term commitment.

You should definitely do a Pool of Darkness LP. :P

korenzel said:

korenzel said:

korenzel said:
I have also given Bee-chan godly stats, since we'll need a party spokes(wo)man and everyone used Charisma as a dump stat.

Yup, my stats are soooo powergamish. Kewl.
Cleric/Fighter/Magic-user is a pretty powerful class iirc, hopefully Bee-chan will prove to be the most useful member of our party. :P

MMXI

Arcane
Excellent! At least we are adventuring with only a single tranny now that Soup was kicked out. I don't think Godfrey could keep up his healing duties on two trannies. Too much maintenance.

For role-playing purposes Godfrey is Edward R Murrow's long lost son. I would have said identical twin but Godfrey seems to be 26 years younger. Now it's just Bloodfist we need to justify. Let's just pretend Excidium cursed him to that body.

MMXI

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
MMXI said:
Excellent! At least we are adventuring with only a single tranny now that Soup was kicked out.
:P
Pool of Radiance is an RPG. Just because you might be a tranny in real-life doesn't mean that every character you create has to be a tranny too. Plus, your character doesn't have a beard so I can only guess that it is a true female. Bloodfist on the other hand...

:rpgcodex:

juggernaut

Educated
Bloodfist is male. He doesn't quite remember exactly which act of random magic he may have cast or been hit by in his 180 years that gave him his fabulous physique, but now that he has it he's not giving it up. Just look at his expression - that is the face of an elf who has found true happiness.

Erebus

Arcane
I haven't played PoR, but I played Champions of Krynn, in which the heroes also start at a very low level. Many low-level spells such as Charm Person and Stinking Cloud were extremely useful because the mechanics of 2e makes it unlikely for a low-level character/monster to save versus spell. So, even though you won't get Fireball before long, your large number of spellcasters should be useful.

On the other hand, I suspect the lack of at least one single-classed fighter may become a problem after a while. But we'll see.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Erebus said:
On the other hand, I suspect the lack of at least one single-classed fighter may become a problem after a while.

Nope, that isn't true iirc. Even a party of 6 Cleric/Fighter/Magic-users should have no problems beating this game. :P

korenzel

Educated
I'm afraid I did not rob Soup of his gold before leaving him on the docks. Still, if a party member dies and cannot be resurrected he'll be available to join the party, I think.

-----------------------------------------------

UPDATE 1 - Getting Started

No sooner has our party touched the wooden planks of the docks that a young man approaches.
He offers a tour of the city of New Phlan.

K57G3.png

Lead the way.

jc1J6.png

Temples are important, as they are the only way to bring a character back to life. They charge outrageous amounts of money for their services, so our two clerics will do most of the daily healing.

4CY6B.png

The docks we arrived from are behind us, and our ship has already sailed away. Our adventurers are stuck here for better or worse.

7P8Df.png

Trainers and adventurers for hire can be found in this building. To advance levels a character needs to train, and each session costs a fair amount of gold.

Mercenaries of a wide range of skills can be hired, but they get their first picks of the loot if they come along, and we don't want that. Still, it could be useful if our party comes up against something it can't seem to defeat on its own.

TweEz.png

The city hall of New Phlan is the main quest dispenser.

CK82M.png

More temples.

5NZPI.png

And finally, the entrance to the slums.

oIMSy.png

Rolf leaves our party and goes back to wait for another ship full of would-be heroes.

4x0ST.png

Going back to the City Hall, our party spends a little time reading the various proclamations on the wall.

Adventurers Book said:
Proclamation LXIV

Be it known that the council is interested in acquiring information as to the disposition of various formerly-living entities in the vicinity of Valhigen Graveyard. A reward is offered to any person who shall travel to said graveyard and return an eye-witness account.

Proclamation LXXVIII

Be it known that the council is offering a reward to any person or persons who can provide information as to the disposition of several council agents who have been sent to investigate the unseemly happenings in the vicinity of Valhigen Graveyard.

Proclamation CIX

Be it known that the council is offering an inducement to any individual who shall serve in the rescue force for the mercenary band of Taimalh-the-Invincible which has disappeared inside Valhigen Graveyard.

Proclamation LIX

Be it known that the council is interested in reclaiming the remaining blocks of the city of New Phlan. To reclaim said blocks they must be first cleared of monsters, vermin, and other uncivilized inhabitants. To this end the council is offering a reward to any person or group who is responsible for clearing any block of the old city.

Looks like a lot of things are happening in the Valhigen Graveyard, but that is out of our party's reach for now.

BdzRr.png

Our party goes inside to meet the clerk

D851J.png

The clerk offers more detailed missions than the proclamations outside.

IfKEa.png

The slums need to be cleared of monsters.

qUx5L.png

And so does the Sokal Keep.

sZSqT.png

We'll keep it in mind.

UgDcQ.png

And that's pretty much it. We can go to either the slums or the Sokal Keep, but we'll start with the slums.

URZhu.png

But first off, we need to equip our party with the limited amount of gold the members brought along.

XCckO.png

fhcoe.png

pPNkC.png

The weapons and armor shops offers a variety of items, most of which are reserved to fighters.

Bee-chan gather all the gold of our party and goes on a shopping spree.

Shopping List said:
3xShort Bow
300xArrows
4xLong Sword
1xFlail
1xSling
1xStaff
40xDarts
4xShield
4xScale Mail
1xLeather Armor

NrchZ.png

We're left with two platinum coin, each worth five gold coins.
But now Bee-chan has a decent armor and a good set of weapons.
Long Sword & Shield for close range, Short Bow for distant engagements and Scale Mail for protection.

0K5gV.png

Clerics only have access to hammers as ranged weapons, but it's quite annoying as they have to ready a new hammer each time they throw one. For this reason, I've stuck Godfrey with a Flail and he will be our main tank as he has the most hit points.

CfNN3.png

Edward R Murrow gets the same equipment as Bee,

1YqmJ.png

The same goes for Bloodfist.

xrw0u.png

Excidium gets a quarterstaff if he is unfortunate enough to be engaged in melee, and some darts.

afgUC.png

Pariah gets a leather armor, the best protection thieves can wear, a Long Sword for defending himself and backstabbing and a sling to throw stones at the enemy.

Ek8OC.png

Although we are quite broke, let's check the other shops while we're in the market area.
There are a number of them selling silver items.

laL0W.png

They're... quite expensive to say the least.

DR13y.png

Another shop sells some miscellaneous supplies.

QZ3mO.png

Mirrors, Oil, Holy Symbols ...? I suppose we'll need them at some point.

zAkFI.png

There are also taverns in the town.

jm8wk.png

We can gamble for money, but we need to keep our two platinum to book rooms at the Inn, so the offer is declined.

Q2Abn.png

Our party can also overhear tales from other patrons.
Here's what they learn after spending a little time :

Adventurers Journal said:
Tavern Tale 11

The Dragonspine Mountains are inhabited by a race of evil dragons who lure travelers to their lairs and slay them.

Tavern Tale 13

A master thief has set up a hidden training ground deep in the old city, right under the noses of monsters.

Tavern Tale 14

Ogres who live to the east of Phlan are holding captive a princess for whom a huge reward has been offered.

None of that concerns us for now, but it's good to keep them in mind.

U5Dtq.png

Finally, we head for the Inn and rent some space to rest. It costs one platinum (five gold) but we can then stay as long as we like, until we leave the building.

jdEZu.png

So our adventurers make camp, and prepare for the journey ahead.

PKm6R.png

What we need to do is memorize spells.
Here's the current cleric selection. For now, we'll give our clerics two Cure Light Wounds and one Detect Magic each.
Cure Light Wound is the only relatively fast and cheap way to heal injuries, and Detect Magic is very useful in sorting out the good loot from the piles of junk monsters leave behind.

8fjTm.png

The arcane spell selection is much more limited. Four spells available, and only one cast per rest. Detect Magic can be cast by clerics so it would be a waste of a slot, Read Magic is only needed when we have unidentified arcane scrolls, Shield is good to protect mages from attackers but it doesn't last very long at level 1. That leaves us with Sleep.

But Sleep alone makes up for this poor selection. The spells can disable a large group of enemies, rendering them helpless. Helpless character can't act, but they still block the advance of other monsters while our party shoots them from afar. Most of all, any helpless monster is killed in one blow, be that from a two handed sword critical hit or a poorly thrown dart.

The spell loses its usefulness as monsters gain better saving throws or downright immunity to the effect, but it's the best weapon in our arsenal for now. Each of our mages memorize it.

P13fi.png

The game automatically calculates how long the party has to rest to memorize all the spells.
For now, it's five hours, but it will increase as we get higher level spellcasting.

2JPaW.png

After a little nap, it's time to brave the slums for the first time.

fVGS4.png

As soon as they pass the gate, the adventurers detect some kobolds.

3jwDa.png

Pariah tries to parlay but fails to talk them out of combat.

bxhvh.png

And we get transported to the tactical map. Our first battle, and we're already outnumbered. Ten kobolds against our six heroes.

D8FjI.png

Despite their high armor class, the monsters are hard to hit in melee.

hPoZv.png

However, bows and slings work wonder as character sometimes get another attack, and have generally better chances to hit with ranged weaponry.

WG5WU.png

Even the puny darts manage to bring down kobolds, but they run out fast and are not recovered at the end of the fight.

USouV.png

Godfrey takes a beating while everyone else fires arrows from afar.

unlSH.png

But soon enough, the party prevails.

9wfPI.png

Eighteen experience, that's not much. We need at least one thousand to get near the next level, grinding random encounters is not an option.

85Df0.png

224 copper coins ! That equals ... one gold coin, and weights two hundred times as much. Marvelous!
6 silver coins, that's also worth a gold coin.
Overall, we got two gold from the encounter. We probably spent this amount on darts alone.

OyZCf.png

At least we can loot the deceased monsters' items. Hopefully they'll sell for a bit of cash.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Looks like the game likes to play rough. I'm already looking forward to the next update filled with low level suffering ;)
Are fights mostly random like in Bard's Tale, Wizardry etc. or do you have more predetermined ones?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Marvelous! We're off to a good start. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom