Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's bathe in the Pool of Radiance - 14 - Kobold Massacre

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by korenzel, May 31, 2011.

1. korenzel Educated

korenzel
    Interesting, there is a mention of human size and shape for Hold Person but nothing of the sort in the description of Charm Person, that just says humanoid creature.
    How can Sleep work "sometimes" ? There is no saving throw.

^ Top  
  2. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

MMXI
    I think you've read it wrong. From that passage from the second edition player's handbook, there is only a single constitution bonus for multi-class characters that you split between each class. The last part of the first paragraph says that if one of the classes is a warrior then the bonus can be greater than 2 if the character has more than 16 constitution. In other words, a fighter/mage/thief with 18 constitution will gain 4/3 extra hit points each level from the constitution bonus, rounding down to 1 each. However, a fighter/mage with 18 constitution will get 4/2 extra hit points each level, which is 2. The text does not indicate at all that you apply different constitution bonuses for each class. It, in fact, indicates the complete opposite.

^ Top  
  3. korenzel Educated

korenzel
    You've misunderstood my comment, I never implied multi-class characters get a different constitution bonus depending on their class in Second Edition. As you described, characters get half or a third of the best bonus they're entitled to per level-up, depending on their class combination. However, there is no rounding specification for the constitution bonus, contrary to the hit dice roll. A character with three classes and eighteen constitution should get the full four bonus hit points in the course of three individual level ups, which requires that the fraction of constitution bonus gained each level be carried over to the next. This is different from the hit dice roll, in which all fractions are dropped.

^ Top  
  4. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

MMXI
    Yeah, you're right. That's what I meant earlier about the Infinity Engine games carrying over fractions. It's still a retarded thing to do, though, as it doesn't apply to hit dice as you said. The best way to do it, in my opinion, would be as follows:

1) Roll the hit dice for the class you've levelled up in.
    2) Add the constitution bonus as it applies to that class (no +3 or +4 for non warriors).
    3) Divide the result by the number of classes that make up the multi-class.
    4) Add on the quotient to the maximum number of hit points for the character.
    5) Store the remainder.

Upon levelling up again:

1) Roll the hit dice for the class you've levelled up in.
    2) Add the constitution bonus as it applies to that class (no +3 or +4 for non warriors).
    3) Add the stored remainder from the previous level up.
    4) Divide the result by the number of classes that make up the multi-class.
    5) Add on the quotient to the maximum number of hit points for the character.
    6) Store the remainder.

Example: Fighter/Mage/Thief with 18 constitution

1) Rolls a d10 for the fighter and gets a 10.
    2) Adds on +4 as a constitution bonus to make 14.
    3) 14/3 = 4 quotient, 2 remainder.
    4) Add the 4 quotient to the total number of hit-points.

Total hit points at level 1/0/0: 4.

5) Rolls a d4 for the mage and gets a 4.
    6) Adds on +2 as a constitution bonus to make 6.
    7) Adds on the 2 remainder from the fighter's division to make 8.
    8) 8/3 = 2 quotient, 2 remainder.
    9) Add the 2 quotient to the total number of hit points.

Total hit points at level 1/1/0: 6.

10) Rolls a d6 for the thief and gets a 6.
    11) Adds on +2 as a constitution bonus to make 8.
    12) Adds on the 2 remainder from the mage's division to make 10.
    13) 10/3 = 3 quotient, 1 remainder
    14) Add the 3 quotient to the total number of hit points.

Total hit points at level 1/1/1: 9.

After 3750 total experience the character can level up the thief level to 2.

15) Rolls a d6 for the thief and gets a 3 this time.
    16) Adds on +2 as a constitution bonus to make 5.
    17) Adds on the 1 remainder from the previous division to make 6.
    18) 6/3 = 2 quotient, 0 remainder (yay!).
    19) Adds on the 2 quotient to the total number of hit points.

Total hit points at level 1/1/2: 11.

That way you work in the carry over of whole remainders while making the system 100% fair in the long run (other than if a remainder is left at the level cap, but you can't really do shit about that as you can't have fractional hit points).

^ Top  
  5. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Honestly, I don't know. But I know from experience that there is about an even chance of an Ogre being affected by Sleep if he's the target of the spell.

^ Top  
  6. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I believe sleep affects a certain number of hitdice, not creatures. So I guess it depends on targeting?

[edit] Yep, 2d4 hitdice worth. And it cannot affect creatures of 4hitdice+3 or more.

^ Top  
  7. abstract Scholar

abstract
    Heh, I remember playing this game without a manual. I got pretty far, too - right up to the bramble maze and the
    Show Spoiler
    fake Tyranthraxus
    . Without the journal entries, though, most of the plot was completely lost on me - for example, I could never translate the runes in Sokal Keep and had to clear it by killing Ferran :retarded:

^ Top  
  8. korenzel Educated

korenzel
    UPDATE 7 - Hideout

As the last update came to a close, the party's intent was to explore the area west of the slums.

[​IMG]

Immediately they are approached by a party of kobolds.
    Bee-chan is nice to them and they reveal some information.
    Is this boss "The Boss" ?

[​IMG]

Other monsters are not as talkative.

[​IMG]

It's our first encounter with these, let's see what our journal has to say :

[​IMG]

They can be put to sleep, so they're not very dangerous.

[​IMG]

Some kobolds eventually ambush us. It looks like our fighters gained a new ability during the last level ups.
    They can now "sweep" low level monsters, essentially giving them a free attack at a nearby opponent.

[​IMG]

These lizardmen avoid us, but the party kills them all anyway.

[​IMG]

The area also contains some bands of gnolls.

[​IMG]

North of the well, the party finds some kobolds.

[​IMG]

As they are defeated, another party attacks right afterward.
    Our three fighters easily sweep through their ranks.

[​IMG]

This band looks rather weak.

[​IMG]

The party catches up to them.

[​IMG]

Bee-chan's haughty words make them cower in fear and talk.

[​IMG]

Apparently the magic pool lies to the west, and is guarded.

[​IMG]

Questioning them further doesn't reveal anything new.

[​IMG]

Our adventurers' mission is to clear the city of monsters, so the six kobolds are slaughtered mercilessly.

[​IMG]

There's nothing else of note in the area, except a large number of random encounters that slowly weaken the party.
    In the center, lies Kuto's well.

[​IMG]

After a quick trip to the Inn for a much needed rest, our heroes are now ready to explore the level below.

[​IMG]

Going through the half-opened hidden door reveals a network of catacombs.

[​IMG]

Kobold ambushers shoot at the party and manage to hit Edward!

[​IMG]

Searching the room for the little critters, a secret door is found just to the west of the entrance.

[​IMG]

On the other side, a very ugly bandit is found.

[​IMG]

The party chooses to fight.

[​IMG]

Norris himself has decent hit points and armor class, but his entourage is pathetic.
    Five lizardmen and ten kobold leaders ? Our party fights double these numbers during each random encounter above.

[​IMG]

Each and every monster is put to sleep, and Norris succumbs to Godfrey's Hold Person.

[​IMG]

A fittingly low reward for such an easy victory.

[​IMG]

Next to no gold as well.

[​IMG]

At least Norris was carrying a magic long sword. It's just another Long Sword +1.

[​IMG]

Norris was also carrying a message.

It's pretty obvious Norris wasn't "The Boss". Ah well.

[​IMG]

Sounds like we did Phlan a great service, although this bandit and his band of kobolds seemed pretty insignificant and could easily be eliminated by a small party of those corporals and aides we fought in the bar.

[​IMG]

And our adventurers have earned their very own hideout, in old and damp catacombs below a ruined city.
    That's... great.

[​IMG]

Exploring their newly acquired territory, the party finds some treasure.

[​IMG]

Once again, most of the experience comes from finding things, and not fighting monsters.
    I can't complain about that.

[​IMG]

Ugh, tons of silver. These coins are worth only a hundred gold or so, but I refuse to let go of anything better than copper.

[​IMG]

Back to the civilized area, the party notices that proclamations have changed.

Hmm, no mention of Valhigen Graveyard anymore. Did the quests time out ?
    Whatever the case, sounds like both of these jobs are right up our adventurers' alley.

[​IMG]

The council is grateful for eliminating Norris.

[​IMG]

Some experience and a little gold never hurts.

[​IMG]

Our party is summoned by the Bishop of Tyr! Our heroes are getting famous!

[​IMG]

Heading to the temple right away, they are allowed past the guards and enter the Bishop's chambers.

[​IMG]

The Temple of Bane ? It's quite out of our reach, we'd need to go through the wealthy sector first.
    Besides, we have no idea what kind of opposition might await there.

[​IMG]

For now, the party declines the offer. We'll scout there before committing to such a task.

[​IMG]

In the meantime, many training sessions are done:

Bee-chan becomes Cleric 3/Fighter 2/Magic-User 2
    Edward R Murrow becomes Fighter 3/Magic-User 3
    Bloodfist becomes Fighter 2/Magic-User 2/Thief 3
    Excidium becomes Magic-User 4
    Finally, Pariah is now Magic-User 3/Thief 4.

^ Top  
  9. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yay!

:lol:

Indeed!

^ Top  
  10. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    The bandit leader was really pathetic. 200 hundred xp and a few copper...:lol:

At least the treasure wasn't so bad.

^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    8 hps more for Pariah, and he's now running second in the most hitpoints contest! :incline:

I don't remember, is the level cap 6 in this game? Once Pariah reaches thief level 5 his backstab multiplier reaches *3, at level 9 it's *4. And it's simple to get, simply have him attack critters from the opposite direction of where they were attacked last.

^ Top  
  12. korenzel Educated

korenzel
    The level caps for this game are, according to the manual:

8th level fighter
    9th level thief
    6th level cleric
    6th level magic-user

This is the highest the training hall teachers of Phlan will advance our heroes.
    Of course, racial restrictions come into play, and further limit the characters.
    A rumor in a tavern mentioned a possible thief trainer elsewhere, probably in the Kovel Mansion, maybe there are also some available for the other classes, although I think it doubtful : there is no mention anywhere in the manual of spells above third level.

I have yet to make a successful backstab, I try to limit damage taken as much as possible and Pariah's armor class is much higher than that of our fighters. I usually keep him in the back, flinging spells and stones. His sling's pretty good and doesn't require ponderous ammo.

------------------------------------------

UPDATE 8 - Scouting Ahead

When we last left off, the party had just been summoned by the Bishop of Tyr.
    Our adventurers' task is to accompany a priest to the Temple of Bane.

[​IMG]

In order to do this, they first need to head to the wealthy sector of town.

[​IMG]

The only way to do this is to board a boat and get across the river.

[​IMG]

Once there, we can enter through either the north or south gate.
    The north gate leads to the Kovel Mansion, and the south one where we want to go.

[​IMG]

The area is patrolled by a large number of orcs.

[​IMG]

They're not particularly tough, but parlaying with them is faster than killing them.

[​IMG]

Bee-chan manages to elude their suspicion easily.

[​IMG]

But sometimes, she doesn't bother and just scares them away.

[​IMG]

Killing them earns the party some leather holy symbols.

[​IMG]

Most of the area is devoid of anything of interest, but near the center stands a large mansion.

[​IMG]

Inside are some orc guards, and a cell.

[​IMG]

On a wall is a strange message.

[​IMG]

To the east, are some bedrooms.

[​IMG]

Searching them attracts their occupants.

[​IMG]

But they're revealed to contain nothing of value.

[​IMG]

To the north is a large building filled with orcs.

[​IMG]

They are dealt with easily, and the party explores the last building.

[​IMG]

A room to the east is searched thoroughly but contains nothing.

[​IMG]

To the south, are some goblin slaves.

[​IMG]

Our party has already killed more than a hundred goblins in random encounters.
    These ones are released from their captivity, and reveal an important clue.
    The party will have to fight some more orcs and get these symbols.

[​IMG]

To the west, more rooms with descriptions but with nothing in them.

[​IMG]

Another one.

[​IMG]

The last room is home to some orcs and a ogre.

[​IMG]

A good opportunity to try out the new Stinking Cloud spell.

[​IMG]

It works well, but is less effective than Sleep on low level critters.

[​IMG]

The reward for the fight is quite low.

[​IMG]

But our adventurers find a suspicious piece of paper.

Well, the party's killed the ogre, and a good chunk of the orcs and hobgoblins already...

[​IMG]

Entering the north room while in search mode reveals something new.

[​IMG]

Other rooms with description but previously empty are checked again, and some treasure is found.

[​IMG]

Nice, a new ring and a potion. The ring doesn't appear to do anything when equipped.

[​IMG]

As before, the room has to be entered while in search mode to reveal its hidden content.

[​IMG]

Back in town, the ring is identified. Feather Falling ? I suppose it could be useful.

[​IMG]

The potion is one of extra healing.

[​IMG]

And the clerk is satisfied with our party's slaughter.

[​IMG]

More platinum coins are earned.

[​IMG]

And a new commission is available.

[​IMG]

Godfrey levels up, and gains access to third level divine magic.
    I was hoping for a more potent healing spell, but we'll have to carry on with Cure Light Wounds.
    Nothing in there sounds too useful, and there is no trace of Negative Plane Protection.
    I dread the moment we begin encountering high level undead.
    For now, Godfrey memorizes some prayers.

[​IMG]

Bee-chan and Bloodfist also level up their fighter classes.

Next time, Dirten joins and the party assaults the Temple of Bane.

^ Top  
  13. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    Are you sure you should equip magical items without knowing what they are ? Cursed items exist just to cause trouble for players who do that. The first time I played Champions of Krynn, I found a two-handed sword that looked very nice until I discovered that it turned its user into a berserker that would turn against his companions during fights.

^ Top  
  14. juggernaut Educated

juggernaut
    good progress :salute:

Are those the best cleric spells we will see, or are there stronger available through items?

^ Top  
  15. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    The only ones are lvl 9 Restoration spells.

^ Top  
  16. korenzel Educated

korenzel
    Our party has yet to encounter a single cursed item, and Godfrey can cast Remove Curse, but I'll be more careful in the future. Now that gold is not so much of an issue, identification costs are bearable.

I haven't seen scrolls of better magic spells yet, and the manual contains no description for higher level magic. Since the level cap in the training halls of Phlan for magic users and clerics is six, I would assume that's the best we're going to get.

----------------------------------------

UPDATE 9 - Desecration

When we last left off, the party had just scouted the wealthy sector of the town.
    The Temple of Bane was revealed to contain mostly orcs, which our adventurers should be able to handle.

[​IMG]

So they head back to the Bishop's study, and agree to take Dirten along.

[​IMG]

Dirten is... not very good.
    He has decent wisdom, but the rest is pretty awful.
    He's sixty-seven already and couldn't even afford a plate mail, I think that speaks volume.

[​IMG]

Out of pity, the party buys him one and a shield, that should help his survivability.
    Note than NPC inventories lack the "Trade" option, what our adventurers give them are theirs forever.

[​IMG]

And so the crusade against the forces of the Temple of Bane begins.
    The leather symbols we acquired from the orcs seem to do the trick.

[​IMG]

The Temple is mostly empty, save for an altar at the far end.

[​IMG]

As our adventurers destroy the unholy furniture, a large band of orcs attacks!

[​IMG]

There's quite a few, and no corridor to retreat to.

[​IMG]

They are lead by a moderately tough looking orc named Mace.

[​IMG]

He manages to resist Edward's Stinking Cloud, but his defenses suffered.

[​IMG]

Godfrey's Hold Person takes him out of the fight for good.

[​IMG]

Edward has no trouble slaying him afterward.

[​IMG]

The rest of the orcs fights on, and many Sleep spells are used, but our party is victorious in the end.

[​IMG]

The monetary reward leaves a little to be desired.

[​IMG]

And there's but a single magic mace among the piles of loot.
    Godfrey tries it on and assumes it's a Mace +1.

[​IMG]

Dirten doesn't stay for long. A few words and he's gone.
    His help was appreciated nonetheless, as he saved Excidium from unconsciousness after a heavy barrage of arrows from the leaders.

After the orcs' defeat, the party finds a message on the floor :

[​IMG]

Searching the temple for more treasure, a trap door is found.

[​IMG]

The party finds a couple potions, a wand, some mysterious dust and some random trinkets of dubious value.

[​IMG]

Another trap door.

[​IMG]

That's more like it! Many magic weapons, all determined to be +1.

[​IMG]

One final hidden container is located near the temple walls.

[​IMG]

It contains some clerical and magic user scrolls.

[​IMG]

One of which contains the mighty Fireball!

[​IMG]

The clerical scrolls contain random spells.

[​IMG]

After identification, the potions are of Giant Strength, Healing and Speed.
    The wand turns out to be a wand of magic missiles, useful to finish off hard to hit targets.
    The dust is magical and could be used to make someone invisible.

[​IMG]

A new proclamation was posted on the Town Hall walls.

Looks like our next step is decided then.

[​IMG]

But for now, our heroes report their success.
    After a few training sessions, here how our party looks like:

[​IMG]

Bee-chan finally reached third level magic-user, and Stinking Cloud is a nice addition to her arsenal.

[​IMG]

Godfrey hasn't leveled up, but is getting closer.

[​IMG]

Edward R Murrow is now a level four fighter, becoming ever so deadly with a blade.

[​IMG]

Bloodfist also earned his second level arcane spells. More stinking clouds.
    His skill with the bow is unparalleled, and we're saving up to buy him a fine one.

[​IMG]

Excidium is only a couple thousand experience points away from level five.

[​IMG]

And Pariah is getting a better thief very quickly.

-------------------------------------------

Next time, the party cleans the Koval Mansion of its inhabitants.

^ Top  
  17. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Thank you, mr. temporary party member with shitty ability scores. :salute:

^ Top  
  18. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :salute:

^ Top  
  19. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

MMXI
    Fuck yeah! :salute:

Let's cleanse the Koval Mansion!

^ Top  
  20. korenzel Educated

korenzel
    UPDATE 10 - Traps!

We rejoin our party as it gets ready to clear out the den of thieves in the Koval Mansion.

[​IMG]

No sooner do our adventurers enter the building proper that they get ambushed by a lone thief.

[​IMG]

The place is also ridden with numerous traps.

[​IMG]

It's time to see if Pariah's thief training pays off.

[​IMG]

Looks like it does !

[​IMG]

A suspicious pile of loot, not even hidden ? Let's search.

[​IMG]

It was trapped, and Pariah failed to deactivate the device this time.
    Some thieves grab the opportunity and attack the party, but they're really weak and fall easily.

[​IMG]

It stills earns our heroes quite a chunk of experience.

[​IMG]

As well as a large haul of magical weapons.

[​IMG]

Or so it would seem ! As Edward grabs the broadsword, it won't come out.
    It's a cursed Broad Sword -1...

[​IMG]

Oh well, our party's doing fine even so. A few rooms further, it stumbles on two thieves.

[​IMG]

The chase starts, and our heroes chose to follow the eastern path.

[​IMG]

Catching up one of the thieves, they are offered a mysterious offer.

[​IMG]

The party bites the bait, but it was a lie.

[​IMG]

Among the things the party finds are some maps of a maze-like castle.

[​IMG]

But the traps are getting more dangerous, and Pariah's initial luck runs out.

[​IMG]

A cabinet is found.

[​IMG]

Time to test Pariah's lock-picking skills.

[​IMG]

Success ! A whole bunch of magic scrolls are found.

[​IMG]

Another map of part of the castle.

[​IMG]

In a room, a large band of thieves is surprised, some of them being level six instead of one.

[​IMG]

They're no threat either way, and the experience reward confirms this.

[​IMG]

Some files are found nearby.

This Von Urslingen fellow won't like our party of five magic-users, if he's still alive.
    We've already met Braccio, but he made no mention of the undead problem.

[​IMG]

More traps are triggered.

[​IMG]

And some extremely heavy tapestries are found.
    We can barely manage to take the two fine ones, the others will stay there.

[​IMG]

Upon entering a room to the north, some poisonous gas fills the air!
    Luckily, it's not real poisonous gas, as it only inflicts minor damage instead of instant death.

[​IMG]

Three cabinets. Three chances to trigger traps. Three locks to picks.

[​IMG]

More files are found in one of them.

Ulrich Eberhard looks like the leader of the city of New Phlan.
    We've met Prophyrys Cadorna before, he wanted an artifact recovered from the Textile district.
    If this paper is to be trusted, he's a suspicious man at the very best.

[​IMG]

When Pariah fails to pick a lock, he can't try again...
    Thankfully, Edward's strength has yet to fail.

[​IMG]

In the other two cabinets are some gold and gems.

[​IMG]

More blades right after doors, this is getting tiresome.

[​IMG]

The party finds some treasure in a corner.

[​IMG]

And save an old thief who was being forcibly interrogated.

[​IMG]

He gives us some more papers.

Well, that's a lot of info on "The Boss".
    So he's probably either a dragon or a high level magic-user...

[​IMG]

Exploring some rooms left behind, our adventurers find four caskets. Each one trapped.

[​IMG]

Thankfully, the posioned needle are not poisonous.

[​IMG]

Everyone gets one...

[​IMG]

Pariah's on a roll.

[​IMG]

This one dealt quite a lot of damage.

[​IMG]

And finally, the mansion is cleared. Excidium reads the magic on the scrolls.
    Some excellent spells in there : Haste, Blink, more Fireballs...

[​IMG]

He'll have to scribe a few of these in his spellbook.

[​IMG]

Overall, worthy loot in the mansion include a Shield +2, going to Bloodfist.

[​IMG]

And a Short Sword +2 and Leather Armor +4, both of which are given to Pariah for his handling of traps.

[​IMG]

The city council is happy to hear the news, and showers the party with money and experience.

[​IMG]

Uhoh, sounds serious.

[​IMG]

We've read a note about that. The situation is getting out of hands in the Graveyard.

[​IMG]

A magic sword if we go and clear it out ? It's a deal.

[​IMG]

The blade is almost perfect for undead hunting.
    A one handed weapon would have been better but one can't be too picky with +3 items.
    It goes to Edward R Murrow, our best fighter.

[​IMG]

The city also mentions some nomads, somewhere... Rather vague.

[​IMG]

Excidium has just enough experience to reach level five.
    And that means he can learn and memorize Fireball!

[​IMG]

Here's a view of the party's hit points after a few level-ups.

Since the situation in the Valhigen Graveyard sounds urgent, this will be our heroes' next target.

^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    :smug:

A single-class thief would probably have fared better, but I'm pretty darn pleased with the situation as is. And have the next-highest number of hitpoints, no less! Major :incline:

:salute:

If you do go on to the other games in this series, you'd probably do well to reroll the party to use only humans, due to them not being gimped level-wise. If so, I'd like to re-volounteer Pariah as a pure human thief. :salute:

^ Top  
  22. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Fireballin' :dance:

^ Top  
  23. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Blackadder
    You are going for the graveyard already? :salute:

I usually leave it until later...

^ Top  
  24. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    In the Gold Box games I've played, thief abilities were completely neglected, which made the thief class pretty worthless (backstabbing is powerful, but you just don't get many opportunities).

I read the "Pool of Radiance" novel a long time ago. Well, I read the french translation, which I suspect left out at least a third of the original text. Very weak plot, even for a Forgotten Realms novel.

^ Top  
  25. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Blackadder
    Yes. Pool of Radiance is really the only Goldbox game where Thief abilities are used to a decent degree outside combat. Not counting the Buck Rogers games where the 'Rogue' skills are used often enough.

As for backstab, I always found plenty of opportunities to use it throughout the series.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.