Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Battle Los Angeles!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This riveting plot is only matched by the riveting gameplay.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
dextermorgan said:
Yeah it doesn't look very large on the screenshot. A couple of satchel charges and some incendiary grenades should still do the trick though.
No, it really is huge. Comparing to Independance Day, think of the big-ass ships that destroy all the cities with the giant laser beams, rather than the small ships that Will Smith dogfights with.

I mean, if they have the exact coordinates of a suspected CNC center and they could have bombed it (as they end up doing) in the first place why send in a ground team at all?
They didn't have the exact coordinates, they had a hunch that "it must be around here somewhere". In the real world they would've spent several hours combing the area before finding it, but since this is a corridor shooter you just follow the corridor. And I'm sure someone who knows military matters better than I can expand, but from I understand they need this green binocular laser thing focused on the EXACT target to get a precision strike. And they can't carpet bomb because, well, the plot says they can't (don't ask me how helicopters and the aircrafts that actually launch the precision airstrike manage to get there in the first place...)

Brother None said:
This riveting plot is only matched by the riveting gameplay.
Trust me, the gameplay's even worse :rpgcodex:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Sceptic said:
No, it really is huge. Comparing to Independance Day, think of the big-ass ships that destroy all the cities with the giant laser beams, rather than the small ships that Will Smith dogfights with.
If it's that big then why the need for precision weapons at all :roll: They'd be hitting the whole area with a volley of bunker busters.
Sceptic said:
And I'm sure someone who knows military matters better than I can expand, but from I understand they need this green binocular laser thing focused on the EXACT target to get a precision strike. And they can't carpet bomb because, well, the plot says they can't (don't ask me how helicopters and the aircrafts that actually launch the precision airstrike manage to get there in the first place...)
Well, aside from not needing a precision strike in the first place, land-based laser guidance isn't the only precision guidance system out there. Aircraft also paint targets with laser to guide the bombs and it's not like they don't know the territory, what with live surveillance satellite feeds showing individual aliens on the ground and all.

Meh, it's full of holes, this plot.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
In the movie they can't do an airstrike because the aliens control the sky - hence they are shooting cruise missiles that are homing in to the laser target-finder. They almost get overrun by the aliens too. Doesn't justify why the aliens must bring their CnC thingy down to the ground instead of keeping it in the atmosphere or something.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Or why not just radio to base to hit the parking lot on the corner of Lincoln and First and GTFO as cruise missiles are GPS guided. But I'm done nitpicking - bump and moar pls.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
GarfunkeL said:
Doesn't justify why the aliens must bring their CnC thingy down to the ground instead of keeping it in the atmosphere or something.
Well it would be more visible in the atmosphere. In fact if it weren't for the sheer serendipity of the helicopter almost crashing due to the interference, or if that had happened before Nantz had discovered the alien aircrafts are unmanned drones, the Marines wouldn't have found the C&C.

dextermorgan said:
Aircraft also paint targets with laser to guide the bombs
Yeah but the whole point of the exercise is that they can't get their aircrafts because the aliens control the airspace and-

Guys, are we seriously analyzing the plot of Battle: Los Angeles, the game of the movie?

:hmmm:

DaveO

Erudite
So there's a choice between a crappy 2 hour or so movie versus the crappy 1 hour or so FPS. The problem is CHOICE!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
UPDATE 6: :yeah:

BattleLA236.jpg

BattleLA237.jpg

:yeah:

BattleLA238.jpg

Wait... why are there pieces of the ceiling falling off?

BattleLA239.jpg

BattleLA240.jpg

BattleLA241.jpg

RUN AWAY!

BattleLA242.jpg

BattleLA243.jpg

And in one go the game manages to answer both complaints raised on the previous page. Dextermorgan: as you can see it is far too big to just destroy with a small explosive. GarfunkeL: you wanted it in the atmosphere instead of underground, there it is.

I tell you, this game's so good that it can predict what you think will be plot holes and fix them accordingly.

BattleLA244.jpg

Aaaaaaaanyway... this laser sighting thingie is pretty shit, if he can't point at something this big from a distance. So we move on trying to get closer.

BattleLA245.jpg

BattleLA246.jpg

Aliens!

BattleLA247.jpg

BattleLA248.jpg

BattleLA249.jpg

More aliens!

BattleLA250.jpg

And another air drone...

BattleLA251.jpg

... with a conveniently placed rocket launcher nearby. Good thing too, because I'd been carrying the sniper instead.

BattleLA252.jpg

Anyway we used the same "shoot when it's charging" tactic as before and make short work of the drone.

BattleLA253.jpg

BattleLA254.jpg

That's a hell of a lot of up and down for a linear corridor...

BattleLA255.jpg

BattleLA256.jpg

BattleLA257.jpg

Sarge.jpg
Santos, you and Imlay are holding the enemy off. Guerrero, you're on the radio! Wait for my signal! Everyone ready? Let's go!

And here we go for another round of protecting Nantz.

BattleLA258.jpg

This time, however, we have the Humvee!

BattleLA259.jpg

For the Grand Finale, this is the most boring segment of the game. The infantry can't really hurt either you or Nantz, so the only threat comes from the drones.

Remember that first drone that gave us so much trouble that we had to blow a gas station to get rid of it? Then things got easier with the next two, with convenient rocket launchers. Well it turns out all you really need is a big machine gun and you can bring them down by the dozens. Makes you wonder WHY the aliens are controlling the skies in the first place...

Also, since the drones are attracted to radio transmissions... shouldn't they be targetting Guerrero instead of Nantz?

BattleLA260.jpg

BattleLA261.jpg

Once again time compression thankfully intervenes. The wait is much shorter than this. Funny too, since in Hollywood movies 2 minutes usually go on for about 10 or more, but here it's over in less than one. Not that I'm complaining or anything...

BattleLA262.jpg

BattleLA263.jpg

BattleLA264.jpg

One strike isn't enough, so more shooting and waiting for the next one.

BattleLA265.jpg

BattleLA266.jpg

BattleLA267.jpg

BattleLA268.jpg

Third time had BETTER be the charm!

BattleLA269.jpg

BattleLA270.jpg

BattleLA271.jpg

Yeah, they couldn't even be bothered to make sure the snippets that Santos says are all unique.

BattleLA272.jpg

BattleLA273.jpg

BattleLA274.jpg

INCOMING!

BattleLA275.jpg

BattleLA276.jpg

BattleLA277.jpg

BattleLA278.jpg

BattleLA279.jpg

Imlay.jpg
Good men gave their loves to protect the city. Los Angeles may be safe but we're far from victory...

Imlay.jpg
We'll continue to fight back against alien invasion no matter how dangerous it becomes.

BattleLA280.jpg

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I don't know if I should thank you for watching me play this or whether I should demand you thank me for playing it in the first place, so let's just do both.

Thanks for watching :salute:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oh yeah. EPIC FINAL BATTLE BLOWOUT. Is a boring turret section. Go figure.

Remember that first drone that gave us so much trouble that we had to blow a gas station to get rid of it? Then things got easier with the next two, with convenient rocket launchers. Well it turns out all you really need is a big machine gun and you can bring them down by the dozens. Makes you wonder WHY the aliens are controlling the skies in the first place...

Huh. Just like the Mass Effect series.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I think in the movie they kept hammering the thing with MRLS-rockets since air power was useless until its destruction. Still doesn't answer why they didn't keep it in lower atmosphere - you can have microwave-transmission from there and have LOS over a huge area and the aliens should have efficient enough Point-Defence systems that hitting them with missiles wouldn't work.

Oh well, I'm over thinking it. Thanks for sharing the pain, BRO!

Drakron

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Oh well, I'm over thinking it.

No, you are just thinking ... the reason they brought down the ship was because it was the only way for it to be destroyed.

There was no fucking reason why not keeping in space, none ... except if it was keep in space no way in hell could they hit, so instead of a Deus Ex Machina we have a Stupida Ex Machina.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom