Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's be a Miserable recon in Ukraine (STALKER video)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Every time I watch these videos I get such an itch to replay Misery, love Potatojohn's deadpan delivery and accent; it is simply perfect for this LP

Baron Dupek

Arcane
an itch to replay Misery
Don't.

I still baffle at Recon with carry limit of 30kg.
Nobody, not even private rank (especially privates, when recruiting start) is that weak in the easterneuropean army.
If you have problem with 30kg then you're fkn pushover.
Only explanation Recon became special agent was nepotism.

This is proof that Misery mod was made by weak kwan marines who can't hold potato bag without crying.

Last edited:

Gordon Shumway

Literate
Misery seems to be one of the most realisic Mods of CoP, they had an awfull lot of really good ideas (like artefact containers, degrading scopes, nutrition, reworked health, ---), but they missed the ballance:

1. Mutants are that abundant, they kill everyone, soon or later. Even critical NPC (e.g. Spartacus or the mercenarys in Zaton) are not save from mutants, because their spawn points are too close and mutants spawn too often. Making those NPC plot immortal is a solution, but not a very clever one.

2. Artefacts are almost useless, especially if there is no more antirad artefact. It's OK to make them more sparse and more valuable, but even a tier I artefact should pay out.

3. Some prices are totally out of balance. There is no use in buying charcoal or gas to cook meat, if dishes are cheaper to buy.

I remember, that I found a Saiga early on but could not afford the repair. So I had to cope with occasional jamming. It was possible to solve Owls Severs Quest in Zaton with that shotty allone by crouching through that open pipe and shooting the mercs from that position.

Maybe I will play it again some time, especially, when 2.3 comes out, maybe they fix the balancing issues. I have to admit, that I mostly do not play the games that way, the devs intended. The vanilla is robust enough to be stressed. Even Stalker CS shows high robustness after 10 patches (if you do not mind the killing of two NPC in Escape and do not fall from the edge of the world in Jantar).

You can take Sigerous as a contrary example. The good ideas and plot additions (new sideqests, included areas from CS) turn the zone into a overloaded tourist resort. You can't move on the Skadovsk because there are so many traders, scientists, quest NPC and even additional traders that you run into. You use more than 80% of your time to carry loot to a trader and if you got the best detector you have to watch not to stumble and fall over artefacts.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
This playthrough is based on the 1.2 version of the game which is superior to the more convoluted and frankly unnecessary "hardcore" versions after 2.0

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Even though he's talking about different version - he's right. Misery2 creators have no idea how to balance things for shit, ended with totally opposite difficulty for CoP and force you to grind. Seriously - 40k+ for repair kits is just ridiculous. Food poisoning is doable if you have cigs/water, otherwise nah. And you better hunt for Mercs or enjoy hobo phase 4ever...
I still remember my trip to Pripyat that started with finiding funds for SEVA or these orange trash bag suits. Don't remember gathering funds for that in any other mods (including Misery 2.1.1)
Artifacts are indeed useless. And cheap (unless you get some for Beard and his special orders). Why even bother with containers to place on belt if they give you marginal benefits? 4kg more of carry limit? 2% buletproof? Man, even ShoC arts were better and they sucked...

Unless you enjoy endless grind and enjoy long hobo phase and moment where you leave it - edit config files, prices, endurance, fragility etc.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yes they made it unnecessarily "tough" and grindy. The 1.2 version is close to perfect with honestly almost no grind, the stashes are meager and few and far between so you feel good with finding a med kit and a bottle of vodka stashed away, the enemy spawns are fair and yeah you have to save up your ammo rather than going around all Rambo and shooting and lastly the economy's tough but fair and just by doing the quests and looting a few stashes you can leave the first area with close to 30,000 rubles, a couple of good artifacts and pretty good equipment.
I have seen videos of the black something mode for the latest Misery builds and it looks fucking depressing, they turned into a miserably experience indeed with grinding ad nauseum, having to scourge up from the bodies of fallen stalkers.... that doesnt look fun at all

Gordon Shumway

Literate
I haven't played v 1.2 yet. But it sounds reasonable. Between v 1 and 2 they included a lot of new weapons and items, making the whole game very bloated. Well they had to put the stuff they included to some use...

I have seen videos of the black something mode for the latest Misery builds and it looks fucking depressing, they turned into a miserably experience indeed with grinding ad nauseum, having to scourge up from the bodies of fallen stalkers.... that doesnt look fun at all

You meant this hardcore-hardcore-mode, i think it's called "black night". You start at the sawmill right between the zombies with nothing but a knife, a flashlight and a bandage...

Judging, what have been said, the v 1.2 seems to conserve more of the "true zone spirit" (like the Stalker movie perhaps).

BTW: The realism in CoP even in vanilla is extremely high, as you can see on this pics...

can1-jupiter.jpg

can2-jupiter.jpg

This guy only needs a newspaper for full authenticy....

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom