Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's blindly play Space 1889.

Black Cat

Magister
Let's play Space 1889: Started by Black Cat, completed by Crooked Bee

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Introduction
2. It begins!
3. Jack the Ripper and von Schmelling's report
4. Shiny! Also, boom!
5. New York to San Francisco
6. Beware of the Germans
7. The fate of Atlantis
8. Build me a flyer!
9. Mars and a vashkt Geerman conshkpiracy
10. Let's kill some Germans on Venus!
11. German HQ: A Tale of Infiltration
12. The Unseen God of the Worm Cult
13. Whisperdeath, or, Catching up with Thomas Edison
14. A Sad Tale of Professor Tereshkova and an Ether Propeller
15. All's well that ends... well?

cover.jpg

Released back in 1990, Space 1889 is a computer adaptation of the pen and paper role playing game, and general setting, of the same name. Since I started playing weird oldfag games my brother, his friends, and my own friends both from school and from my P&P club do recomend me I have tried to get into this game several times, for it is kind of awesome as far as all of them are concerned. I have failed every time, however, given the visuals have not aged well and, let's be straight about this, they suck a whole lot. And swallow, too. With a straw.

So, like, every now and then I try to get into the game, because all I have heard about it is kind of so totally cool. So I do read the quite cool manual, set up a party, start the game... and then leave when my eyes start wanting to die. Not any more, however. This time I have decided to actually play the damn thing(ie) up to the end, or at least up to the game handing my tail back to me with a quite formal apology.

To make it even more interesting, however, and since I have somewhat noticed I have much more fun with the blind, or almost blind, Let's Play thingies than with the ones about games I already know quite well, I will be making a blind Let's Play of this. And given I have been wanting to try one of those party based Let's Play thingies I will be creating only the first character on the party, our glorious leader and main character, and it will be up to you to create the rest, one per each of you, so it will be your fault if our party lacks what it would take not to suck. Likewise, if during the game I come across a point where it is not clear what should I be doing next it will be up to you, that being those of you in my party, to choose what to do next, and to bear the burden of my untimely failure.

So during this first update we will do nothing but actually go about the character creation system and stuffies, so you will have a vague idea of what you can pick and what you can choose. Then I will show you how all of this work by creating my failure of a totally LARPed main character, and then it will be up to you to save me from myself.

But first let's quote the manual introduction to the game and setting, so you know what are we getting into.

Welcome to the world of Space 1889, a world filled with scientific wonders, strange civilizations, international intrigue, and, of course, adventure. This computer adventure is based on the pen and pencil science fiction role playing game of the same name. It is a highly unique concept because, despite the fact that Space 1889 deals primarily with outer space exploration, it is set in the 19th century, at the height of Victorian colonial expansion.

How is this possible?

The 19th century saw the birth of science fiction, and the works of the early masters of this genre, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, and Arthur Conan Doyle still have tremendous appeal. Their speculations about inteq)lanetary travel and alien civilizations were based on sound principles of science as it was then understood. Since then, we have discovered that principles such as those proposing the existence of “luminiferous ether,” — at that time widely accepted — have no real foundation in fact.

But what if they did? What if instead of quantum mechanics and relativity, there was only “the ether”? And what if the fertile, brilliant mind of a young inventor named Thomas Edison discovered the method to travel through the ether and explore the secrets of our solar system? The answer to that question is what this game is all about.

So this is kind of like Arcanum, only with steampunk aetherships going to mars and neither magick nor dwarves. And what's the game about, you ask? Your guess is as good as mine, at least beyond the few first couple of hours or so and what is said about it on the manual.

In Space 1889, you will create five characters, male or female, from among six attributes and 24 skills (see Characters and Character Generation). After your characters are generated you will be asked to choose the leader of your group. The introductory sequence of the game will be centered around that character.

The scenario begins at a reception in a London museum, where an exhibit of recently discovered Egyptian artifacts is about to be presented. Archaeological expeditions in Egypt are often occuring. Several tombs have been discovered, but the tomb of King Tutankhamen, rumored to be filled with priceless objects, remains hidden in the desert sands. Every notable in the fields of anthropology and archaeology are at this gala, black tie affair. Wealthy, upper class members of The World of Space 1889 society are also present. You (your lead character) have been invited to the exhibit opening, as well. Upon arriving at the museum you are surprised, and happy, to see four friends (the other members of your party) who worked with you on archaeological expeditions in the past. The joyous reunion sparks reminiscent stories of adventure and excitement It has been several years since you worked together, but the comradeship still exists.

Later in the evening, you overhear a conversation between two men. They are discussing a proposed expedition to the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. Apparently, the location of King Tut’s tomb has been discovered. One of the men is holding a report outlining the proposed expedition, to be funded and carried out by the Germans. After their discussion the two men leave the reception. You present the idea of undertaking a journey to Egypt in search of Tut’s hidden treasures. Your friends eagerly accept. Whether it’s the excitement of viewing the Egyptian artifacts in the museum, or the need for excitement and intrigue, your group of adventurers is back in business.

Your adventure begins as your party leaves the museum reception in semh of the elusive man who has the report outlining the proposed German expedition. Before anything else, you have to get that report.

So begins an epic journey that will carry you across the world: from the scorching deserts of Egypt to the mysteries of the Far East. Your adventures may also lead you to the mysterious realm of outer space, where you will travel to the dark caverns of the moon, the deserts of Mars, the swamps of Venus and the lush valleys of Mercury’s Twilight Zone in search of the answer to the greatest mystery of all time.

The Age of Decadence release date? In any case, character creation works as follow.

First you must choose a gender. Then you must choose a name, at most twelve characters long. Then the game will randomly generate your score on the six basic attributes, those being Strenght, Intellect, Agility, Charisma, Endurance, and Social Level. The value will range from 1, you suck, to 6, you are awesome. Then you must pick your face, and then your career, which is kind of your class. Some of them are only for girls while others are only for guys. Guys can never enter female only careers, but girls actually can enter male only ones based on their agility and intellect, in which case they are actually passing as males.

Your social level also means the social class you belong to, according to the following list: One is working class, two is tradesman, three is middle class, four is gentry, five is wealthy gentry, and six is aristocracy.

Then you have twenty four skills, related to the already mentioned attributes. In Strenght there is Fisticuffs (whose initial value is Strenght minus one), Throwing (whose initial value is half Strenght), Close Combat, and Trimsman.

Fisticuffs is the ability to hit an opponent with fist or foot and cause pain or injury, and also the ability to hold and restrain an opponent or, conversely, to struggle free
from an opponent’s grasp. Fisticuffs skill would be used in any situation where a character attempts to subdue or silence an opponent with a blow, wrestle someone to the ground, or fight off an attacker.

Throwing is the ability to hurl objects accurately. As a weapons skill this is used as the equivalent of Marksmanship with any thrown weapon (spear, knife, hatchet etc.). It is also used to determine success when hurling grappling hooks, heavy lines, rocks, grenades, etc.

The Close Combat skill defines a character’s ability to keep his head in situations of mortal danger and use a weapon effectively. The primary emphasis of close combat is on bashing weapons, edged weapons, or pole arms. Whenever a character attempts to use any weapon in close combat, whether a fii or melee weapon, the Close Combat skill is used to determine success.

The Trimsman skill is the ability to maintain a liftwood vessel in proper, level trim. Liftwood vessels are supported by many individual liftwood panels, arranged much like Venetian blinds, which provide varying amounts of lift depending on their angle toward the surface of the planet. The exacting task of maintaining trim requires almost constant adjustment of the individual panels. The focus of the Trimsman skill is on cloudships or interplanetary ether flyers.

In Agility there is Stealth (whose initial value is Agility minus one), Marksmanship, Mechanics, and Crime.

Stealth is the ability to move silently and avoid detection. This skill is used to determine the character’s ability to sneak upon guards, creep past enemy outposts or sleeping animals, lurk in shadows and dark alleys, etc.

Marksmanship indicates the character’s ability to hit a distant target with a firearm or bow. The emphasis of the Marksmanship skill is on pistols, rifles (including carbines and shotguns), and bows.

Mechanics represents the ability to construct, operate, and repair machines. The prime emphasis is on steam engines, electrical devices, or skill with precision machinery.

The Crime skill covers a familiarity with one or more of a variety of illegal practices. The primary emphasis is on forgery, lockpicking, and pickpocketing.

In Endurance there is Wilderness Travel (whose initial value is Endurance minus one), Fieldcraft, Tracking, and Swimming.

Wilderness Travel is the ability to travel across uncharted and hostile country — an essential skill for explorers and adventurers. The primary emphasis is on mountaineering, foraging, and map making.

Fieldcraft is the ability to judge the lay of the ground and use its potential to the fullest. Fieldcraft skill determines the ability of a character to move silently through the woods, use the lay of the land to move un&r cover and unobserved, and take up covered positions with good fields of fire in combat.

Tracking is the ability to detect and follow the trail of a man or an animal. This is particularly important for hunters, but is also useful if pursuing a fleeing enemy.

Swimming is the ability to avoid drowning without use of flotation devices.

In Intellect there is Observation (intellect minus one), Engineering, Science, and Gunnery.

Observation is the ability to notice things. This skill defines the ability of a detective to notice clues or items out of place, the ability of a soldier to notice an enemy
ambush or signs of enemy movement, the ability of a scientist to notice an unusual rock formation or the skeleton of an extinct animal, etc.

Engineering is the ability to design and supervise the building of structures. The primary emphasis is on structural engineering (bridges, roads, dams, and buildings), naval architecture (the design of nautical and aerial vessels), explosives (the use of dynamite and gunpowder to move earth and rock or destroy structures), or earthworks (the construction of military fortifications).

The Science skill covers a familiarity with the basic laws of science and the body of scientific knowledge. Primary emphasis is on Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geology, Amhaeology, or Astronomy.

Gunnery is the ability to man and direct the fire of large wqmns including muzzleloading cannons (such as the Martians use), breech-loading cannons (of the modem European type), machineguns (including rotating cannons of the Hotchkiss type), and exotic weapons such as the Smutts Discharger.

In Charisma there is Eloquence (again, Charisma minus one), Theatrics, Bargaining, and Linguistics.

Eloquence is the ability to convince non-player characters (WCS) to go along with your ideas. This is particularly important when trying to convince a financier to fund an
expedition, or a bureaucrat to issue a special permit.

Theatrics is the ability to play a role convincingly is covered by Theatrics skill. This skill defines the ability of a character to fool WCs when impersonating someone else, or the ability to tell convincing lies. It is also used when preparing a successful disguise.

Bargaining is the ability to effectively negotiate. This determines the ability of a character to get the best possible price when buying or selling an item, the ability of
diplomatic personnel to negotiate with foreign officials, etc.

Linguistics is the ability to learn, understand, read and speak foreign languages.

And, finally, Social Level includes Riding (again, social level minus one), Piloting, Leadership, and Medicine.

Riding skill is the ability to control animals while riding them. This skill’s primary emphasis is on riding the terrestrial horse, the Martian gashant and flying skrill, or the Venusian pacyosaurus.

Piloting is the ability to steer a vessel. While a skill level of 1 or greater is sufficient to operate a vessel, higher skill levels are useful in avoiding crashes in hazardous
situations. Higher skill levels are also necessary to attempt and survive difficult maneuvers. Primary emphasis is on aerial flyers, Martian cloudships, Zeppelins, interplanetary ether flyers, nautical sailing vessels, and desert vessels.

Leadership is the ability to project a forceful, commanding presence. This skill is used to determine a character’s success in rallying demoralized troops, recruiting followers from WCS, facing down brigands or thugs, and so forth.

A knowledge of medicine and the ability to administer care to wounded and ill characters is covered by this skill. Medicine skill determines the chance of successful recovery by a patient and the length of time that a specific recovery will take.

And those are all of the skills. Also, everyone gets General Skill Points, which are used to raise any skill you want. If the corresponding attribute is 5 or 6 the cost on general skill points is halved, so each general skill point raises the skill by two. If the corresponding attribute is 3 or 4 each level costs one general skill point, and if the corresponding attribute is 1 or 2 the cost is doubled, each level costing two general skill points. Also, no skill can have a level higher than it's corresponding attribute, though they can be raised beyond such level by Careers. Also, no character can have a Close Combat skill higher than one above the level given to her or him by the careers.

Each character can pick up to two careers. Each Career has either a series of prerequisites or no prerequisite at all. As I explained before, male only careers can be had by girls under certain circumstances but not the other way around. Also, the Master Criminal career can only be had as a second career. Other Criminal Careers may be had as first career, but if you do the only careers you may then choose as Second Careers are other criminal careers or the army, actor, or adventuress career. A career, basicaly, gives you skill points, usually seven or so. Also, you can pick twice the same career (once as your first, once as your second) if you do want. Some of the careers have different values based on your social level, too.

1. GOVERNMENT CAREERS

Army

Male only. No prerequisite.

Social Level 1: Private soldier, any branch — Close Combat 1, Swimming 1, Marksmanship 1, Bargaining 1.

Social Level 2: Noncommissioned officer — Close Combat 1, Swimming 1, Marksmanship 1, Leademhip 1.

Social Level 3,4: Officer, native regiment or technical branch — Leadership 2, Marksmanship 1, Close Combat 1.

Social Level 5,6: Officer, fashionable infantry or cavalry regiment — Leadership 2, Marksmanship 1, Close Combat 1, Linguistics 1, Riding 1, Eloquence 1.

Navy

Male only. No prerequisite.

Soc 1: ordinary seaman — Swimming 1, Gunnery 1, Mechanics 1, Close Combat 1, Marksmanship 1,
Trimsman 1, Riding 1.

Social Level 2: Petty Officer — Swimming 1, Gunnery 1, Mechanics 1, Leadership 1, Close Combat 1, Marksmanship 1, Piloting 1.

Social Level 3,4: Engineering officer — Leadership 1, Mechanics 2, Science 1, Close Combat 1, Marksmanship 1, Piloting 1.

Social Level 5,6: Line offker — Leadership 2, Close Combat 1, Piloting 1, Observation 1, Gunnery 2.

Agent of the Foreign Office

Prerequisite: Intellect 4+.

Linguistics 2, Crime 2, Theatrics 2, Observation 1.

Diplomat of the Foreign Office

Male Only. Prerequisites: Social Level 3+, Intellect 4+.

Bargaining 2, Linguistics 3, Eloquence 1, Observation 1.

Colonial Office

Male only. Prerequisite: Social Level 4+,

Bargaining 1, Linguistics 2, Eloquence 1, Observation 1, Theatrics 1, Marksmanship 1.

2. EXOTIC CAREERS

Big Game Hunter

Prerequisites: Agility 4+, Endurance 5+.

Wilderness Travel 1, Fieldcraft 1 Tracking 2, Marksmanship 2, Linguist!~s 1.

Explorer

Prerequisites: Endurance 5+, Strenght 2+.

Wilderness Travel 2, FieldCraft 1, Marksmanship 1, Linguistics 2, Leadership 1, Swimming 1.

Dilettante Traveler

Prerequisite: Social Level 5+.

Linguistics 3, Pilot 1, Science 1, Wilderness Travel 1, Marksmanship 1, Swimming 1.

Adventuress

Female only. Prerequisites: Intellect 4+, Charisma 5+.

Close Combat 1, Marksmanship 1, Linguistics 2, Theatrics 2, Eloquence 1, Crime 1, Leadership 1.

Reporter

Prerequisites: Intellect 4+, Charisma 4+.

Observation 1, Theatrics 2, Eloquence 1, Linguistics 2, Wilderness Travel 1.

3. SERVICE CAREERS

Actor

Prerequisites: Social Level 4-, Charisma 5+.

Theatrics 3, Eloquence 1, Linguistics 2, Leadership 1.

Personal Servant

Prerequisites: Social Level 3-, Charisma 4+.

Close Combat 1, Linguistics 2, Bargaining 1, Medicine 1, Riding 1, Obsewation 1.

Tutor/Governess

Prerequisites: Social Level 2/3/4, Intellect 5+.

Science 2, Linguistics 2, Eloquence 1, Theatrics 1, Leadership 1, Medicine 1.

Groundskeeper

Prerequisites: Social Level 3-, Endurance 4+.

Marksmanship 1, Wilderness Travel 1, Tracking 2, Fieldcraft 3.

4. MERCANTILE CAREERS

Inventor

Prerequisites: Intellect 4+, Agility 3+.

Science 2, Engineering 2, Mechanics 2.

Merchant

Prerequisites: Social Level 4-, Charisma 4+.

Bargaining 3, Eloquence 1, Linguistics 1, Leadership 2.

Mechanic

Prerequisites: Social Level 3-, Agility 4+.

Mechanics 3, Engineering 1, Science 1, Observation 1, Bargaining 1.

Engineer

Prerequisites: Social Level 4-, Intellect 4+.

Engineering 2, Mechanics 2, Science 1, Observation 1.

Seaman

Prerequisites: Social Level 3-, Strenght 3+.

Fisticuffs 1, Throwing 1, Swimming 1, Linguistics 2, Piloting 1, Observation 1.

5. PROFESSIONAL CAREERS

Detective

Prerequisites: Social Level 3+, Intellect 5+.

Close Combat 1, Science 2, Crime 2, Theatrics 1, Tracking 2, Medicine 1.

Doctor

Prerequisites: Social Level 3/4, Intellect 4+.

Science 2, Medicine 3, Observation 1, Linguistics 1.

Scientist

Prerequisites: Social Level 4+, Intellect 5+.

Science 3, Engineering 1, Observation 1, Linguistics 2.

6. CRIMINAL CAREERS

Master Criminal

Second career only. Prerequisites: Intellect 6.

Crime 2, Science 1, Close Combat 1, Markmanship 1, Teatrics 1, Linguistics 1, Leadership 2, Medicine 1.

Poacher

Prerequisites: Social Level 3-, Agility 4+.

Markmanship 1, Close Combat 1, Fieldcraft 2, Tracking 2, Crime 1.

Smuggler

Prerequisites: Endurance 4+, Agility 4+.

Close Combat 1, Piloting 1, Crime 2, Linguistics 1, Bargaining 1, Swimming 1.

Thief

Prerequisites: Social Level 3-, Agility 5+.

Close COmbat 1, Stealth 1, Crime 2, Theatrics 2, Eloquence 1.

Anarchist

Prerequisites: Social Level 3-, Agility 5+.

Crime 2, Close Combat 1, Eloquence 1, Engineering 1, Theatrics 1, Linguistics 1.

Apart from those the game's pretty cool in that it allows you to create your own careers, though I believe it to be more of a way to add new careers from the pen and paper game than to munchkin your way to victory, given you can really do munchkin your way to victory that way. Therefore, we will not be using such vile tools of corruption.

Finally, the game will calculate your starting wealth in pounds sterling based on a lot of different thingies. Whatever. The important part is that if you are either a Merchant, Adventuress, or Criminal the computer will multiply your starting fortune by an additional 10 and if your character's second career is Master Criminal then it will be multiplied by an additional 50. Also, characters with a Social Level of 5 or 6 will receive an annual income equal to their initial fortune, paid in twelve equal monthly installments. Characters in the Foreign Office and the Colonial Office receive a salary of 40 pounds sterling a month. This money all goes to the party's account.

Now I will show you how all of this works by creating our glorious leader. I will be making her a combination of Dilettante Traveler and Adventuress, therefore I will need to reroll her attributes until her Social Level is of at least five, her Intellect is of at least four, and her Charisma is of at least five. However, my LARPer side considers anything below a Social Level of Six to be well below me, so I will reroll her until she's a well bred lady in addition to everything else. And, yes, we will have to roll and re-roll our attributes, so please keep that in mind before deciding you want your characters to have all sixes or something.

This is the first thing we see upon choosing to create a new character.

Space1889000087.jpg

I pick the first option. The first prompt ask me whether the character will be a male or a female. The second prompt ask me her name, Miss Faith. Then we start rolling. The game, naturally, decides to show me how much does it hate me.

Space1889000090.jpg

Screw you, game. After a while, however, I manage to get an actual result I can kind of like. Slightly, but it will have to do. Next we pick a face: There are only five for each gender and they all look like people you don't want to come across in a dark alley.

Space1889000091.jpg

Space1889000092.jpg

Next I pick her two careers, Adventuress and Dilettante Traveler. I was stupid: I should have picked Adventuress and Master Criminal to get my initial funds through the roof, but I did not notice it until later, and there's no undo option. If you don't like what you did you have to start it all again, including the rolls.

Space1889000093.jpg

Then the game tells me I have 2.0 general skill points. Remember buying skill points on attributes we have five or six costs us only half a point, while it costs us an entire point to buy a skill point on an attribute with a value of three or four. And, if we had an attribute with only one or two it would take all of our points to raise a single skill by a single point.

I raise Leadership by two, Markmanship by one, and Theatrics by one.

Space1889000098.jpg

And that's it. Our glorious leader is ready to go where no cat, regardless of hue, has gone before! Now we need four volunteers before being able to start the game, though more are also welcome as I will be going about this in a pseudo Iron, uhm, Gal manner, which means if Miss Faith, our legendary heroine, kicks the bucket I will be reloading, but if other character dies horribly and painfully I will be adding a new recruit in his or her place instead. At least as far as I remember there was no revival on this game.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Those are the five faces for male characters.

Space1889000097.jpg

So that's it. Let's see how this goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
YEAH. RIGHT MOST, Gentleman.

Superb idea for an LP. I recall playing a few sessions of the old PnP game from back in the day. Granted, I never played the old PC game, but I can speak for the original PnP game that it was "kinda awesome" as your friends put it. At the time, it was definitely one of the more refreshingly different PnP roleplaying games out on the store shelves. Space 1889 was one of my early influences for what sparked my interest in Victorian steampunk science fiction.

Looking forward to MOAR! :obviously:

Oh...and iirc...fieldcraft is awesome. :lol:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Heh. I read manual for this game once. Full speed ahead!

Black Cat

Magister
:foreverignored:

Black Cat said:
Now we need four volunteers before being able to start the game

Character builds, nao. I didn't type all that stuff about character generation because I was bored, monocled fellows.

:rpgcodex:

RottingNaziSurfer said:
Superb idea for an LP. I recall playing a few sessions of the old PnP game from back in the day.

I hope I will be able to do the setting justice. If you want to throw in a bit of lore or the like every now and then, be my guest. It would be quite cool to get a bit more background and lore on what we come across, from someone who did play the P&P game. :3

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I volunteer!

/This post is reserved for my character build. Will edit it in soon.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

:salute: :salute: :salute:

EDIT. Here we go:

Miss Bee
Female
Portrait = leftmost
Social = 1 (working class!)
Charisma = 6, Intellect = 6 and Agility = 6 please :P
Professions = Anarchist+Master Criminal
Please raise my Eloquence and Theatrics + whatever else you deem important (maybe Close Combat or Markmanship?)

Also,
Space1889000090.jpg

:lol:

Neko said:
Guys can never enter female only careers, but girls actually can enter male only ones based on their agility and intellect, in which case they are actually passing as males.

:o

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
[EDIT*2] Since Kazgar beat me to the scientist position, and I cannot into reading, I've edited my build twice:

Alrighty! The esteemed Doctor and Engineer (was going for naval officer, but it seems that doctor cannot into higher social status than 4?) Pariah Zeal (Or just Pariah if it cannot into spaces) is ready to join your expedition! :salute:

Right-most face. :obviously:
And, of course, Doctor and Engineer as careers.

Skill points in medicine, engineering and mechanics, as you see fit. :love:

4 social level to qualify for both doctor and engineer, 6 intellect for engineering and 6 agility for mechanics. :smug: Let the other scores wind up as you please.

Note though, that if you can actually have higher than social level 4 as a doctor, I'd like to revert to my "old" build of Doctor/Naval officer with 6 social level and 6 intellect, and focus on medicine, piloting and gunnery skills.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
....Damn u took the doctor.

: ( Make me a cowardly inventor/mechanic. I beg you!

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The Cat is back, HURRAH!

Are there open slots in the party? If yes then do add Sir Humphrey, an esteemed high social gentleman (high social and intellect) working as an Agent and Diplomat of the foreign office. His face is the second from the left,since silver stache guy is taken already...

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Is there combat in the game? Can dudes die?

Can I be a thief+master criminal with powergaming stats and the left most female face?

Black Cat

Magister
It seems there was a mistake with either the manual or my memory, given while I was sure the manual did said the general skill point cost to raise a given skill was defined by the respective attribute it is actually defined by the Social Level attribute, maybe to simulate the better education and schooling of those with higher social standing. Therefore, I made sure to give the highest social possible to each character, according to their desired careers. And after a heavy session of re-rolling stats I have the first batch of characters ready...

... and then I forgot to save the character list, because I forgot the game deletes all your characters if you don't save them before leaving.

Back to rolling. :(

laclongquan said:
Abandon at 3rd page!

Ahem... I have a pretty good completion rate so far. Have more, heh, faith on the kuroneko, I say!

Orgasm said:
Is there combat in the game? Can dudes die?

Yes, there is. There's ground combat of our gals and guys against a similar number of gals and guys, or against monsters and beasts, as well as boarding actions, which are kind of like ground battles but on a starship, and ship to ship battles.

And, indeed, dudes die, without revival as far as I remember. So we will be going through a lot of recruits and volunteers, I reckon.

Orgasm said:
Can I be a thief+master criminal with powergaming stats and the left most female face?

Sure, I'll roll the character so I can give her good stats and attributes and post the result on the next update for aproval. Then we'll add her to the reserves.

Crooked Bee said:
Do you plan on LPing Sentinel Worlds or Hard Nova one day, BC?

Just curious.

I was planning on doing them after this one, given they are somewhat similar on general gameplay. If you were thinking on doing them, however, go ahead and consider this my reservation of a party spot for Sentinel Worlds. :3

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:rage:

Gimme back my awesome stats!! :o

Black Cat in the deleted post said:

Too bad this game discriminates against the working class. As an anarchist, I'll do my best to ensure the horrible discrimination will end after the revolution. :P

BC in the deleted post said:
Miss Bee is our pickpocket, miscelaneous criminal, and melee powerhouse
BC said:
melee powerhouse

:lol:

:love:

Make me a powerhouse again!

Kuro Neko said:
Crooked Bee said:
Do you plan on LPing Sentinel Worlds or Hard Nova one day, BC?

Just curious.

I was planning on doing them after this one, given they are somewhat similar on general gameplay. If you were thinking on doing them, however, go ahead and consider this my reservation of a party spot for Sentinel Worlds. :3

I was thinking of doing it, I admit, but since you're ready to, it'll definitely be better for you to LP those games, for two reasons. First, you know them better than I do, and so will be able to provide more meaningful comments. Second, my LPs are silly while your LPs are full of awesome walls of text describing the setting, the lore, the gameplay mechanics, etc., and I think those games deserve your, uhm, unique treatment. :P So go for it, oh mighty witch cat! I have another idea for a new LP anyway. ;)

EDIT. I will probaby LP Whale's Voyage, ideally 1+2, next (provided no one beats me to it) -- and I'll be sure to reserve a place on the team for you, Neko-chan! :P

EDIT2. Started the Whale's Voyage LP and reserved a place for you, Neko-sensei! Be sure to voice your character class and other preferences if you feel like it!

EDIT3. Started my LP without you in the party since you've disappeared. :/

lightbane

Arcane
Posting my build for whenever you need it:
Name: Herbert W.
Jobs: Doctor and Master Criminal
Face: The one with monocle, :obviously:

Oh, and :love: for doing another lp.

MMXI

Arcane
Name
Henry Hunter

Portrait
Number 1

Attributes
2+ Strength
6 Agility
6 Endurance
1+ Intellect
1+ Charisma
6 Social Level

Classes
Explorer
Big Game Hunter

Skills (Primary)
Marksmanship
Fieldcraft
Tracking
Wilderness Travel

Skills (Secondary)
Stealth
Swimming

Topher

Cipher
I've always passed over this game while browsing Abandonia but no more. Thanks for the exposure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom