Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Let's blindly play Space 1889.

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Black Cat, May 6, 2011.

1. juggernaut Educated

juggernaut
    best box art ever? sign me up for whenever!

name: J. Nautilus

portrait: monocle

attributes:
    3+ strength
    4+ agility
    4+ endurance
    1+ intellect
    3+ charisma
    5+ social

careers: navy x2

skills: pilot, gunnery, leadership

^ Top  
  2. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    i remember seeing ads for this game in computer magazines back in the day.

^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    still rollin', BC?

I can't wait for the next update :P

^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Update? :M

^ Top  
  5. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Fix'd.

:rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  6. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Rolling can take some time, I remember when I wasted 3 hours rerolling my stats for BG2:SoA to get 4 18s one 14 and one dump stat. Good times.

^ Top  
  7. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Please continue, BC!

^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'm afraid it looks like Black Cat disappeared on us. Let's just hope she returns and picks this LP up again.

^ Top  
  9. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    I hate.

:cry:

Droog-chan, get back to LPing goddammit!!

^ Top  
  10. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    It was BSB anyway, no loss....

:smug:

^ Top  
  11. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Let's play SPACE 1889: Now REVIVED!

1: Introduction

[​IMG]

:o

[​IMG]

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

[​IMG]

Welcome Miss Bee, our new party's dumb blonde middle-class leader. Rebelling against the suffocating atmosphere of her parents' milieu, Bee turned to anarchism -- first theoretically and then practically. Her high agility, intellect and charisma allowed her to quickly become one of Britain's most subtle master criminals and accumulate an ungodly amount of pocket change. Bee's skills are varied, as is to be expected from one of her profession. She possesses a wide range of combat abilities, being especially good at using her fists (against dirty male chauvinists constantly trying to make advances at her, of course). She knows the ways of stealth, crime, long travels, observation and eloquence, making moderate use of theatrics and linguistics when need be. Her leadership capabilities are, well, okay, and she can even use an explosive or two in case of emergency.

[​IMG]

Next meet Pariah Zeal, a monocled gentryman who, having been trained as a doctor, later put his keen observation skills to good use in the Navy. Appropriately for one in the Navy, he loves fisticuffs no less than Bee, except his punches are naturally heavier and, hopefully, more deadly. He possesses some humble piloting and trimsman experience, and that'll have to do, hopefully. (If not, tough luck; this LP is dead anyway.) His knowledge of mechanics and especially medicine makes him an invaluable member of our group.

[​IMG]

Welcome also Earl Kazgar, an aristocratic Foreign Office diplomat-turned-scientist (with weight-lifting as his hobby apparently). I spent so much time re-rolling his stats to get a high Intellect stat to accompany his high social standing that it isn't even funny; aristocracy is dumb, true story. Kazgar has decent science and engineering skills. As a diplomat, he is stealthy, eloquent, observant, and knows how to swing a deal favourably his way. In other words, a true patriot.

[​IMG]

Finally, meet Miss Faith who, ashamed of having backed out on leading this adventuring group to death from hunger and exhaustion to glory, now trails along at the back of the group, looking for thingies to ride, hunt, or shoot at. I had to make her a big game hunter instead of an adventuress because I wanted those tracking and fieldcraft skill badly. And the stats are the best I could -- finally -- roll after having wasted, it seemed, thousands of re-rolling attempts. (The game was mean and just wouldn't let me power-build the last party member.) Faith's marksmanship skill is the best in our party, so firearms ahoy! Let's also hope that, somewhere deep inside her, a witch's alchemy abilities lie dormant; we could use a molotov or two, for sure.

[​IMG]

Without further delay, let's get this party (kinda) started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steampunky!

August 3, 1889 -- Journal entry

[​IMG]

I must admit that the exhibit was more fascinating than I had ever imagined. The brilliance of the solid gold jewelry, the detail and precision of the wood carvings, and the delicacy and perfection of the alabaster sculptures sent a pulsating wave of emotion through my body. Memories of days long gone, of adventure and intrigue, came rushing back with surprising clarity.

For a time, I believed I could settle down and live a more stable existence. I became a skilled professional in the anarchist career.

Lol.

But, after seeing these priceless treasures, I fully realize that I cannot hide from my true identity -- I am an adventurer.

[​IMG]

Von Schmelling promised to provide a detailed report to the englishman the following day, but I couldn't clearly overhear where the meeting would occur. The two men parted company, and I was left with my thoughts.

The legend of King Tut's Tomb has always intrigued me. Maybe, just maybe, I could get there first. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was staring me in the face. I was in a room full of some of the most adventuresome and courageous individuals in the world. I've worked with many of them before, and some are my close friends.

[​IMG]

:roll:

We all agreed that von Schmelling's report is a logical starting point. There's no time to waste. We left the museum and set out on the adventure of a lifetime. I'm back in business!!

[​IMG]

And we're back in business indeed. The interface is pretty self-explanatory, I guess. Query is used to talk to NPCs, View describes the piece or surroundings we're facing, like this...

[​IMG]

...Lead changes the party's current leader...

[​IMG]

...Use allows us to use an item we're carrying (no items at the moment, alas), and Study to examine it. Choosing Party we access our profile (stats, items, etc.), and Rob is, well, exactly what it says on the cover.

One thing that makes me suspect this update will be the last one, is the day counter in the upper left: it increases incredibly fast as we explore around, and with it increase our Fatique (and hunger).

[​IMG]

The London Museum, the building we've just exited, isn't big at all, and yet it took us 10 days (!) to explore it. And by the way, our inventory is totally empty: no food, no tent, nothing, so we can't even rest until we find an inn -- and at the current rate, it will surely take us a few months to discover the nearest one.

[​IMG]

The more we explore, the more frequently we hear our stomach rumbling. That doesn't bode well, that much I can tell you.

[​IMG]

To interact with an NPC, we must face him and choose the Query command. A menu appears that lets us trade or talk with him.

[​IMG]

Hey, it's Heinrich Schliemann. It looks like he has an... appropriate quest for us. :roll: No handholding, though, and therefore for now we have no idea of any way we could solve Schliemann's quest.
    And yeah, all NPCs seem to only have one thing to say. No dialogue trees or key words or anything.

[​IMG]

The museum curator isn't a talkative one. Neither does he have anything to trade. I hate his type.

[​IMG]

A monocled fellow is leisurely strolling in the park (?) near the museum.

[​IMG]

A constable? Were constables really that monocled in Victorian England? :?
    He gives us a quick introduction to the setting, and I think we're good to go (as far as we can go without dying of hunger and fatigue, of course).

In the next update (i.e., next month): food! I need more food! gimme some goddamn food! aarrggh...

P.S. I hate.

Err, I mean
    :love:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    ^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    :love: :love: :love:

[edit]
    Now that I've also read the update, let me supply with :thumbsup: and :yeah:

We're going to die gloriously, from hideous hunger pains! :incline:

^ Top  
  13. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Well, certainly looks better than Arcanum...

^ Top  
  14. Black Cat Prestigious Gentleman Magister

Black Cat
    Bookmarked. I will be following the spatial adventures of Miss Bee and her gang of merry ladies and merry gentlemen.

:love:

If you need the manual with all the game's stuff just tell me.

Also, be careful about something: While the manual and the game tells you that you can change party members when they die, I am not sure they actually finished that option. So just in case balance the party as much as you can before venturing forth.

That's pretty awesome, I have to give that to her. I will forever now imagine Miss Bee as a coat wearing wandering anarchist stealing banks, jumping tax collectors, and making things go boom.

There goes KKKodexia last chance at Yuri romance. :(

^ Top  
  15. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
  16. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    :love: y'all.

Bah, I'll just roll with the party I have now 'cause I'm tired of re-rolling -- and this is your game, not mine. If I fail, then I fail. Like I said, this LP is dead anyway. ;) It's like a zombie LP, ya know; it can only go so far before being finally put to eternal rest.

We're supposed to be each other's alts anyway. Which means, the romance would have to be incestual. :roll:

Awesome. I'm fine with that!

^ Top  
  17. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Man, the time mechanic in this game sure is cruel. But do go on.

^ Top  
  18. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

MMXI
    Didn't I specify a character for this LP? If so, where is it?

:rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  19. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Were you among the first four to volunteer?

Thought so.

Oh, maybe I will. Someday. ;)

^ Top  
  20. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Oh my pork!! This lp is alive!! :love:

^ Top  
  21. juggernaut Educated

juggernaut
    I love you bee :love:

^ Top  
  22. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    :oops:

[​IMG] + [​IMG] = :love:

^ Top  
  23. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Reading that in-game font is pretty painful.

^ Top  
  24. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    There's a Space 1889 adaptation for the Savage Worlds ruleset tat I've wanted to try out. Proceed.

^ Top  
  25. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    In 1870, according to Space 1889's rules, Thomas Edison crashed on Mars in his newly-invented "ether flyer", and discovered a ruined, decaying civilization. Two decades later, British redcoats are fighting for Her Majesty in Syrtis Major as well as the Sudan.

Which means, welcome back to the newly revived LP of this "science fiction role playing in a more civilized time"! (Yeah, that's the official subtitle.)
    Before we proceed, however, two random observations:

1. There is, like, no experience system in this game and no way of improving the attributes? According to an extremely nice short review of p&p Space 1889, in the pen-and-paper version there are experience points, "used to improve skills, although a die roll is required to raise a skill above the level of the associated attribute", but in the computer version I haven't been able to locate them in the character profile. I'm a bit surprised by that, frankly, and I hope there will be a way of raising the skills at least. The manual is silent on that.

2. So far it seems the fatigue factor isn't as high as the developers advertise it in the manual. In fact, so far it seems to be non-existent. I believe they forgot to implement it properly (or at all), as I completely fail to notice any consequences of our stomachs being empty. This may change later, of course; I'm playing it blindly, after all.

That said, I'm having fun with the game so far, even though I haven't left London nor completed a single quest yet. Truth be told, I just have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing and I'm only starting to get the hang of the way it plays, so I'm just messing around for now and making things go boom.

[​IMG]

Right next to the museum is... Stonehenge? The Stonehenge? In the centre of London? Oh boy.

[​IMG]

Most of the NPCs we encounter are commoners who have nothing of substance to say to us. No wonder, them being commoners and all.

[​IMG]

Facing the Archaeologist's shop.

[​IMG]

Miss Bee has no objects, neither does anyone else, and we can't do anything here at the moment.

[​IMG]

We can actually leave London and just go walking around the globe (it's Britain though, so we wouldn't get far on foot), but let's leave that for later.

[​IMG]

A weapon shop! Now that should incline our exploration greatly.

[​IMG]

First we must decide whether we want to buy or sell, then between weapons and ammo, then who will pay, and finally who will receive the weapon/ammunition. Going through five menus in a row only to buy a weapon is the example of a clunky interface. What's wrong, game? Where's my button-awesome connection?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

At last, after struggling with the interface and prevailing, we reach the list of available weapons. And boy, do I like what I see!

[​IMG]

Miss Bee buys herself a 12-gauge scattergun.

Favoured by American desperados? Well, Bee's a criminal, after all. :P

[​IMG]

Being the richest one in our group, Bee is the one to buy weapons (as well as everything else) for everyone. I wonder how much buying a spaceship is going to cost us... But anyway, Pariah and Kazgar receive a 12-gauge lever action shotgun.

As for Faith...

[​IMG]

...we buy her a Maxim. Yeah, you heard it right. And we can afford that.

The rules say a character needs the Gunnery skill to operate a machine gun, but screw the rules. We're LARPing here. A witch with a machine gun? Sounds fun.
    (Well, we do buy a shotgun for Faith, too, just in case. And now I regret I didn't invest in anyone's Gunnery.)

[​IMG]

We now have our first items in the inventory, and they're deadly. We're off to a good start.
    It took me some time to figure out how to equip a weapon though. You can't do that from the party screen, only via the Use command.

We shouldn't forget to buy ammo as well, since otherwise the weapons are going to be useless.

[​IMG]

Good thing the game automatically chooses the type of ammo for you depending on the weapon(s) you're carrying.

[​IMG]

The next screen just put me in a stupor. I mean, shots? shells? grapeshot? shrapnel? Uhm, what? How do I choose among those? The bloody manual as always remains silent. I went for shots and bough a hundred shots for Bee, Kazgar and Pariah, and 200 shots for Faith's Maxim, but I wonder if someone knows the difference between those, uhm, thingies.

[​IMG]

And here's the local inn.

Note that it's already the 188th day and we haven't eaten anything yet, and despite that our fatigue still equals 0. Talk about a half-assed implementation.

[​IMG]

London's interiors aren't very exciting or varied, really.

[​IMG]

The innkeeper offers us a room, but we decline -- being a superhuman band of adventurers, we aren't a bit tired despite having spent two hundred days exploring one tiny area of London. :roll:

[​IMG]

In a room here, we meet one Dr Maxwell Raven who advertises a substance called Fever Serum to us. A meagre £50, he says. Time to test out the bargaining interface. We press B for Buy.

[​IMG]

Next we can choose between buying Info or an Object. Fever serum, eh? Must be an object.

[​IMG]

And now we are presented with a choice as counterintuitive as it gets. Here, Money and Item indicate not the action we must choose or the kind of thing we want from the NPC, but rather what we want to offer to him in exchange for the object we need. A more intuitive interface would be saying something like "Buy" and "Barter/Trade" instead.

[​IMG]

Now, again, we choose who pays the money, then who receives the item, and finally we get to type in the sum we wish to pay. I forgot to switch the current party leader to Kazgar (who has some bargaining skills) and I didn't want to go through the interface again, so Dr Raven wouldn't agree to anything below fifty quid.

[​IMG]

"It was a pleasure doing business with you. Someday, you will be glad you met me."

[​IMG]

We use the Study command to examine the serum. Well, it does sound useful; let's hope we didn't spend that money for nothing. (We can't buy any more fever serum from Dr Raven, by the way, so this must be a unique or at least rare item.)

[​IMG]

Given that Stonehenge is right near the British Museum, no wonder Silbury Hill is here, too.

[​IMG]

Inside it's pitch dark and we're likely to be eaten by a nasty grue. I believe we'll need a torch or something to be able to explore the place.

[​IMG]

That suitcase-like symbol means we're approaching... a bar. Makes sense, I guess.

Yeah, it's only now that I've read this line from the manual. :oops: Stay tuned for a Return to the Bar in the next update.

[​IMG]

Meet Ian the Bartender.

[​IMG]

"You must die for your actions!"

And here's a drunkard. I've no idea who he has mistaken us for, but luckily he hasn't the guts to attack us or anything.

[​IMG]

We also encounter one James A. Grimes here. He offers to sell us the blueprints for a spaceship (called "ether flyers" in this game), but I don't think we need that at the moment.

[​IMG]

At the market we can finally buy some food.

[​IMG]

For the sake of LARPing, I buy 10000 days' worth of food.

[​IMG]

And this here is, you've guessed it, a pawn shop.

After the weapon shop, this is probably the most useful kind of shop around here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We'll probably need at least some of those items... No way to tell which ones, though. And some armour too. Anyway here's what I bought.

[​IMG]

Miss Faith receives a rope, a breast plate, a helmet, and a set of shoulder scales.

Judging by the manual, shoulder scales + breast plate + helmet seems to be the best armour combination, so everyone in our party receives just that. Equipping armour is done the same way as equipping a weapon, i.e., with the help of the Use command.

[​IMG]

Miss Bee gets some lockpicks (each takes up a separate inventory space, which is kinda lame), a rope, and a miner's hat.

[​IMG]

Pariah is now carrying a doctor's bag, a shovel, a rope, Conklin's Atlas of the Worlds, and navigation instruments. He's both our doctor and our pilot (even if not a particularly skilled one), after all.

I have no clue if the atlas and the instruments are going to help us navigate an ether flyer, but well, one can hope.

[​IMG]

Finally, Kazgar receives a copy of Edison's Encyclopedia, a set of camping equipment, a lantern, a rope, a shovel, and -- last but not least -- a pack of dynamite.

That camping stuff is weighty, isn't it? Sounds indispensable, though. As for the dynamite... But let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    There was also some clothing for sale, which I didn't buy:

I wonder if we should acquire that, or is it there for a purely atmospheric purpose? What do you think, Codex? .... Uhm, Codex? Ah, nevermind.

[​IMG]

And back to Silbury Hill we go.

[​IMG]

It's dark, true, but! We now have a miner's hat.

[​IMG]

And voila, there was light.
    Funnily enough, we encounter a reporter here. I wonder how she was making her way in complete darkness.

[​IMG]

Wait... prophet Kazakhstan? Really!?
    :what:

In any case, this is the first dungeon we've come across, so let's see if we can make it through.

[​IMG]

We head north through narrow corridors until we stumble upon this dirty male.

[​IMG]

No wonder he's dirty, he's an excavator!

[​IMG]

This is the farthest room we've been able to make it to, and the way to the left is blocked by a wall, the one the excavator is excavating.
    Hmm, how 'bout we place some dynamite there, for scientific purposes? (You can actually see some dynamite placed on the wall in the above screenshot if you look closely.)

[​IMG]

Kaboom! I'm enjoying this game already.

[​IMG]

What do you think, a set of stairs!

[​IMG]

Onwards, in search of Prophet Kazakhstan!! (But we must buy more explosives first.)

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.