Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's blindly play Space 1889.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Crooked Bee said:
02space046.png

The next screen just put me in a stupor. I mean, shots? shells? grapeshot? shrapnel? Uhm, what? How do I choose among those? The bloody manual as always remains silent. I went for shots and bough a hundred shots for Bee, Kazgar and Pariah, and 200 shots for Faith's Maxim, but I wonder if someone knows the difference between those, uhm, thingies.

I guess shots are the default, shells are heavier armour piercing ammo, shrapnel are lighter flesh-damaging (not good against armour) variety, and grapeshot I'd suspect of having a cone-shaped AoE..

This is all guesses though. :M

Crooked Bee said:
02space098.png

That suitcase-like symbol means we're approaching... a bar. Makes sense, I guess.

That's not suitcases, that's beer-steins! :incline:

Crooked Bee said:
02space187.png

Pariah is now carrying a doctor's bag, a shovel, a rope, Conklin's Atlas of the Worlds, and navigation instruments. He's both our doctor and our pilot (even if not a particularly skilled one), after all.

I promise to try and improve.. :oops:

Oh, and update!
squeetinymouse.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Crooked Bee said:
Note that it's already the 188th day and we haven't eaten anything yet, and despite that our fatigue still equals 0. Talk about a half-assed implementation.
Talk about a half-assed game. :lol:

From what I've seen so far the only saving grace is the setting.

lightbane

Arcane
Going through five menus in a row only to buy a weapon is the example of a clunky interface. What's wrong, game? Where's my button-awesome connection?

Clunky interface? Bah, that's nothing, you have not suffered the pain of playing Front Mission 4, and having to enter different menus and submenus everytime you want to buy or sell something. Also, I suspect the reason why the game moves so fast is because your DOSBOX's cycles are too high, try decreasing these to see what happens. Although it would be funny if your party immediately suffered the effects of fatigue dropped dead the moment you stepped out of Britain :lol:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Azira said:
I guess shots are the default, shells are heavier armour piercing ammo, shrapnel are lighter flesh-damaging (not good against armour) variety, and grapeshot I'd suspect of having a cone-shaped AoE..

This is all guesses though.

Hey, that's really helpful, thanks! I'll be sure to check that out at some point.

Azira said:
That's not suitcases, that's beer-steins! :incline:

Yeah, I was just kiddin' around. :lol:

Azira said:

Is that your way of telling me the update was, like, tiny?

Excidium said:
From what I've seen so far the only saving grace is the setting.

And the explosives! Don't forget the explosives!

There's also the total lack of any kind of hand-holding, which is great, and I really hope the exploration is going to be good, too. One review I've read promises many sidequests and secrets; I'll see if we can stumble on any of those. There really are too few open-world games with good exploration; let's hope this game has that, at least to some extent.

lightbane said:
Also, I suspect the reason why the game moves so fast is because your DOSBOX's cycles are too high, try decreasing these to see what happens.

Bah, I may be stupid, but I'm not that stupid. I'm already playing with cycles set to 500-600, and anything below that makes the game stutter, so duh.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Crooked Bee said:
Azira said:

This is all guesses though.

Hey, that's really helpful, thanks! I'll be sure to check that out at some point.

My pleasure, I now just hope at least some of it is correct.. :M

Crooked Bee said:
Azira said:

Is that your way of telling me the update was, like, tiny?

No, I searched for a "squeee" pic, and fell for the tiny-mouse. Just look at it! Lookit! It's so tiny!
Cute!
Tiny!
Cuuuute!

Ahem, I'm much better now. :roll:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Azira said:
No, I searched for a "squeee" pic, and fell for the tiny-mouse. Just look at it! Lookit! It's so tiny!
Cute!
Tiny!
Cuuuute!

Ahem, I'm much better now. :roll:

I get it now.
:love:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Oh hey, it seems like I could actually create a five character party. :lol: I just assumed there were to be four characters for some reason, and now that I've entered combat for the first time, I've read the following thing in the manual:

The combat system is designed so that you, the player, control one of your party’s five characters personally

FFS manual, why didn't you tell me that in the section on character creation!? Alright, in any case, additional challenge is always welcome. (I wonder if this game can be solo'ed, but truth be told I doubt that.) Talk about playing it blindly. :lol:

EDIT. Also, serves me right for not reading Black Cat's OP closely enough.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 3: Jack the Ripper and von Schmelling's report

And welcome back to this (sorta) LP of Space 1889 - now with video! Which turns it into, umm, a hybrid LP thingie, I guess.

Azira said:
Can you add the fifth character to your party at a later time, or would you have to restart to get a "full" party?

I don't think you can, but I'll keep on trying. Still, why not try beating the game with a four character party? If it fails, well, tough luck.

03space15.png

We cannot further explore the tomb of Prophet Kazakhstan until we grab more dynamite, so back to the pawn shop we go.

03space16.png

Fully stocked now! I wonder if that'll suffice. Probably not -- in the previous update we were told Silbury Hill had multiple levels, after all.

03space17.png

We come across a new NPC, Chief Inspector Doyle (as in Conan Doyle, yeah), along the way. He entrusts us with the task of eliminating the famous Jack the Ripper. We're on it! What remains is now to actually meet the murderous bastard.

03space18.png

We also encounter Claus von Schmelling, the German from the game's intro, wandering around the streets of London. Being a German, he is of course corrupt and willing to part with the report for a whopping £2000.

03space10.png

Keeping in mind that Earl Kazgar has some bargaining skills, we attempt to beat the price down a bit, but to no avail. I wonder if that's an option in the game at all, or is it just that our bargaining skill is too low?
So yeah, we have to pay £2000. Good thing Miss Bee has the funds.

03space13.png

"Here is the report. Good luck. I think you will need it!"

And the report is ours. Great.

03space45.png

Studying it, we learn of one Hans Ogleby living... in New York City. My, that's far away from here! As I already said, so far I think this game's exploration aspect has some potential, as there is no hand-holding, the world is open, and NPCs and clues are scattered around the place and hard to find.

03space24.png

We scan the area until we finally stumble upon Jack the Ripper in an alley near Silbury Hill.

03space26.png

He doesn't attack us automatically for some reason, but I don't like his attitude so he must be killed. Also, £2000!

03space28.png

We press F to enter combat mode. Now we get to assign orders to the members of our party.

The combat system is designed so that you, the player, control one of your party’s five characters personally, while giving your other four characters a combat strategy they will carry out without your direct intervention. This combat design allows all five of your characters to get into action in battles against one to five opponents.

As your characters move in combat a red box will surround your lead character’s attribute box to show which character you must personally control in combat. Pressing the appropriate key for any of the combat actions in the five individual boxes will activate that particular action. The combat actions and their reds are explained below. After all combat actions have been determined for your characters, press the 'N' key to return to combat mode. The character whose combat actions you determined last will be your current party leader -- whom you must personally control. The other four characters will carry out the combat actions you specified for them. An unconscious character, of course, cannot perform combat moves at all.

The six combat actions we can perform are Attack, Change weapon, Reload current weapon, Move to a new location, Block an enemy's attack, and Flee. They are self-explanatory, I believe.

03space30.png

Naturally, we win.

I've recorded a video of our party fighting Jack the Ripper. I had to reload to record the video, and when I reloaded, it turned out the game randomizes the location of NPCs somewhat, so I had to search for the Ripper elsewhere. I eventually found him at a crossroads, but as soon as I attacked him the constable strolled by -- and entered the fight, too, on Jack the Ripper's side no least!
You can see what came out of that in the following video:

Let's watch: Space 1889 - Fighting Jack the Ripper
(You'd probably want to turn the sound down, ugh. The PC speaker is horrible. Next time I'll be playing the Amiga version.)

This was a very simple, basically tutorial, fight, so there was no tactics or anything involved. One thing to which I'd like to draw your attention is that friendly fire is possible during combat and, given our mediocre marksmanship skills, tends to happen often, so I had to keep that in mind.

03space32.png

03space34.png

After the fight is over, we loot Jack the Ripper's corpse, picking up his knife...

03space33.png

03space35.png

...and his scalpel. The scalpel is needed to prove that the Ripper is dead to Inspector Doyle.

03space39.png

We locate Doyle (NPCs tender to wander around aimlessly, so they aren't always easy to find again) and give him the scalpel.

Chief Inspector Doyle hands over £2000.

03space41.png

:yeah:

Next time: back to the tomb of Kazakhstan!

Black Cat

Magister
Azira said:
Can you add the fifth character to your party at a later time, or would you have to restart to get a "full" party?

According to the manual, yes. Neither of us seems to be able to find out how, however.

Miss Bee said:
We cannot further explore the tomb of Prophet Kazakhstan until we grab more dynamite, so back to the pawn shop we go.

Maybe I'm mixing it up with Spelunky or something, but weren't there shops where you can buy digging equipment to save on dynamite?

Miss Bee said:
We locate Doyle (NPCs tender to wander around aimlessly, so they aren't always easy to find again) and give him the scalpel.

That's the main problem with Jack The Ripper's fight. Sometimes he's in an area with many NPCs around, including cops, and if you initiate combat with him the cops will attack you too, making the fight pretty LOL.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, but you don't really need to take the cops out. They become friendly again after the fight is over, as you can see in the video I uploaded.

BC said:
Maybe I'm mixing it up with Spelunky or something, but weren't there shops where you can buy digging equipment to save on dynamite?

The only kind of digging equipment I've been able to find is a shovel. I'll try using it, though. Thanks!

Black Cat

Magister
Miss Bee said:
Yeah, but you don't really need to take the cops out. They become friendly again after the fight is over, as you can see in the video I uploaded.

That's a testament to how much better you are at really old games than I am... As I never really survived enough such situation as for them to become friendly again. :oops:

Cops hurt a lot. T_T

Crooked Bee

Patron
Like a true monk cat, you probably just didn't equip any armour. ;) Also, no, you are officially the best.

By the way, how far did you get into the game, Neko-sensei? Just wondering.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Well, one would think Schliemann wouldn't ask a random adventuring party to find proof of Homer's existence for him, either. Or that there would be the tomb of a prophet called Kazakhstan in Silbury Hill. Etc. It's just the nature of the setting, I guess; old cRPGs are mostly wacky, you know, be it fantasy, sci-fi or steampunk ones.

Also, Jack the Ripper was definitely attracted by Miss Faith's irresistible beauty. :P
(He isn't so easy to find, actually, I could easily have missed him had I not been combing the entire area specifically to find him. Heck, I could've easily missed Inspector Doyle too had I not gone back to buy some more explosives.)

Black Cat

Magister
Miss Bee said:
Like a true monk cat, you probably just didn't equip any armour. ;)

Armor? Oh... Armor. Yes. I heard of it. Awesome thingie, they tell me. But really, all the armor names in the game sounds, like, totally medieval. Or totally conquistador, or some stuffie like that. And I'm an elegant high society witch, hmph. It's pretty dresses and cute hats for everyone when I lead.

... :(

Miss Bee said:
By the way, how far did you get into the game, Neko-sensei? Just wondering.

Not much. I did travel a bit around the world pursuing that quest with the documents, explored a bit off the beaten path, then went to egypt and killed proto-nazis underground. That's all I remember. The combination of the game's really old graphics and the interface just meant I never managed to get further than that.

The interface is my main problem, however. I mean, maybe others in KKKodexia can use that kind of thingie, but I haven't been into gaming that long and I did start with arcade games and relatively modern games, so as far as I care an interface is bad designed if I ever notice it or want to do A and don't know how. So, like, I enjoy the setting, the old school sillyness, and the deep character creation, and I don't really mind the bugs and stuffies, but the interface does it for me. :(

Like, ok, so now I do have to enter this cave by digging this wall? Cool. So, uhm, where's the put dynamite on wall button? Hello? Anyone? It doesn't help every time I leave the game and then come back I just have forgotten all those thingies. Last time I tried the game, back when I was doing the LP, I spent half an hour trying to land my airship. Half an hour. Jesus, I knew where I was. And I saw the airport right there. And I was above it. And I pressed every damn key and the bloody airship didn't want to land. In the end I managed so, like, ok. Then I had to get another airship to go back to london. Okay. So I got it, went to London's airport thingie, and spent another fourty five minutes trying to land the bloody airship to no avail!

:x

So it was, like, screw you, game. I'm going back to play Erst Kerf.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Black Cat said:
I haven't been into gaming that long and I did start with arcade games and relatively modern games, so as far as I care an interface is bad designed if I ever notice it or want to do A and don't know how. So, like, I enjoy the setting, the old school sillyness, and the deep character creation, and I don't really mind the bugs and stuffies, but the interface does it for me.

Well, I only started playing those really old cRPGs a couple of years ago and I firmly believe every game's interface can be mastered (I mean, the developers somehow managed to play the game themselves, didn't they?), but I can see where you're coming from. And I'm still to experience the horrors of airship navigation in this game, so I have yet to change my mind. :P But... if I made it through Whale's Voyage, I can probably make it through this game.

Fingers crossed, yay. ;)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 4: Shiny! Also, boom!

This will be a very short update in which we wrap up our business in London.
First, as you may remember, earlier I told you I was going to return to the bartender and try buying a drink from him to loosen his tongue a bit --

04space07.png

-- well, I couldn't. He doesn't feel like selling any kind of beverage to us, and so talking to him brings us nothing.

04space15.png

Also, now that we've got a few lockpicks, let's go back to the British Museum to open some chests.

04space17.png

To open one, we must use a lockpick when facing it. Inside we find some money. Well, I say that's nice.

04space19.png

And this room is like a thief's paradise. When done picking the locks, we exit it a thousand pounds richer.
Back at the Pawn shop, we buy some more lockpicks -- just in case.

04space38.png

We return to the second level of Silbury Hill and blow up a wall to clear the way.

04space39.png

Inside we encounter...

04space41.png

...a beggar? So we had to blow up that wall with dynamite to get in here, and this beggar is just… wandering around? I guess things like this are to be expected in a game that randomizes the location of NPCs, but geez.
By the way, there is no optiong of giving water money to beggars in this game. This is no Fallout 3 Ultima IV.

04space43.png

There are some excavators in here, too, but their presence was to be expected, I guess.

04space47.png

After a bit of getting lost, we make it to the stairs leading down to level three of the dungeon.

04space48.png

And here we are. The dungeon turned out to be quite small, after all -- this is the bottom level. Let's just assume this is a tutorial dungeon, shall we?

04space51.png

Another archaeologist. He tells us of a precious ruby challenge, and this looks like a challenge!

04space55.png

Then he blocks us in the corner, and due to horrible NPC routine AI we have to reload to get out of this tricky situation. :lol: (We can't even enter combat mode and kill him, duh; see the message in the above screenshot.)

04space57.png

And finally here we are -- prophet Kazakhstan's tomb!
:incline:

But there is no way of interacting with it.
:decline:

Then again, I'm really glad Black Cat reminded me earlier of the digging equipment we have -- that is, of the shovel we're carrying. We can't use it to dig through walls (meaning dynamite is the only option there), but we can use it to dig around and maybe dig something up, who knows.

04space65.png

First Kazgar meticulously digs over the area surrounding the burial tomb, but to no avail. Not giving up, we go on digging...

04space71.png

Nothing here...

04space72.png

And then we find something! Note that little bag of loot on one of the tiles in the screenshot. I must admit I didn't notice it myself at first.

04space74.png

And hey, it's the Ruby chalice!
:incline:
I'm glad the game isn't just throwing clues around for nothing, and our efforts really paid off.

04space77.png

A "Cup of Wisdom", eh? I don't have any idea if we're going to need the chalice later (probably not), but let's keep rather than sell it, just in case -- it's not like we're short on funds anyway.

04space79.png

However, we're not done here yet. Just one last little thing remains. This is a Codexian party, after all.

04space81.png

Goodbye prophet Kazakhstan, we hardly knew ye!

Next time: now that the tutorial area is over and done with, I guess it’s time to explore Britannia on foot!

spekkio

Arcane
It's all about the obsolete format of this LP.
It should be much more streamlined if you want to reach current Codex demographic.

;)

korenzel

Educated
I skim through this one, in the hopes of seeing the space mechanics come into play. Now that you're out of the tutorial maybe things will get a little more interesting.

lightbane

Arcane
Geez, lpers can be such attention whores sometimes... :M :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom