Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Lets blow shit up in space! (Faster Than Light)

Lindblum

Augur
Torus, Engi supremacy!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, Engi-A it is. I've played a bit, not sure if I should post one big update or two little ones.

Edit: Eh fuck it I'll split it up.

Damned Registrations

Glorious update time!

FTLe0001.jpg

Behold the mighty Goatse in all her glory. Crew names allocated to people who's votes did not win as a consolation prize.
FTLe0002.jpg

Great big empty sector. No nebulas and no scanner.
FTLe0003.jpg

First beacon was a merchant. Guy wants us to deliver drone parts.
FTLe0004.jpg

Kind of a no brainer. Especially nice for us; even if we get double crossed, we can keep the 5 drone parts and this ship certainly needs them.
FTLe0005.jpg

Goal is close by, not that it matters much since we've got nowhere in particular to go and therefore no other plans but to beeline for the quest.
FTLe0006.jpg

Mercenary ship. And a Zoltan at that. If we had scrap, we could pay him to either map the secotr for us or delay the rebel fleet. Since we don't have scrap, we can only choose to fight him or somply move on.
FTLe0007.jpg

This ship is actually pretty good vs Zoltans, so I pick the fight. Note the green bar next to his normal shields. Zoltan ships have a 'super shield' which functions as a 5 point shield that absorbs damage from anything (even missiles or beam weapons) before it goes to normal shields. OInce the supeer shield goes down it stays down until the ship jumps to another beacon. This generally means these fuckers get a free round of attacks in before they can possibly suffer any damage, and they fuck over ships that rely on burst firing the enemy weapons down before they can fire.
FTLe0008.jpg

However, we have two advantages here. First; ion weapons do actual damage to super shields, and double at that. Our weapon there tears through that thing fast. Second, our anti ship drone spams shots quickly. It's drawback is that it targets randomly and we can't time it's shots, but for just eating through a shield, it's perfect. These fuckers do still manage to land a missile on us though.
FTLe0009.jpg

They beg for surrender...
FTLe0010.jpg

:killit: Refused.
FTLe0011.jpg

We already have drone parts to last us a while, what we desperately need is a ton of scrap to buy certain key items from any stores we can find. Drone schematics or additional weapons would be great too. Pretty much anything is better than fuel and missiles and drone parts right now, if we have the option.
FTLe0012.jpg

We actually ate quite a few shots towards the end there and our crew is banged up. However, we don't need to bring everyone back to the medbay. Just switching it on is enough on this ship;
FTLe0013.jpg

It starts with this augment, which makes the medbay heal all of your crew onboard, although at a slower rate than if they're in the medbay. Still a huge convenience.
FTLe0014.jpg

The weapon we start with is an odd one. It does only 1 ion damage per shot, and requires THREE power to run. However, it fires once every 4 seconds. Assuming every shot lands, this is enough to chain the disables together, so given enough time this single weapon can fully disable even a 4 point shield. Of course, if it misses a shot or two, or gets disabled by enemy fire, we'd have to start from scratch. So this won't be nearly enough to end the game.
FTLe0015.jpg

We find a distress beacon on our next jump. May as well board and investigate.
FTLe0016.jpg

Well shit. Crazy armed scientists chase us off and one of the crew falls sick.
FTLe0017.jpg

The sick crewman turns on us. Not a good start to the run.
FTLe0018.jpg

So yeah, now it's just Black and lightbane. Agassi is now a zombie or something (and also is not on our ship, Agassi was an Engi and the invaders are all human). And we've got 3 boarders to fight off.
FTLe0020.jpg

We employ standard anti boarding measures.
FTLe0021.jpg

The fight takes a while with so little firepower, but is won with no more casualties. :salute: Agassi.
FTLe0022.jpg

Next beacon has pirates trying to charge a toll on us. Not in the mood.
FTLe0023.jpg

Awww isn't that cute.
FTLe0024.jpg

Rewards in this sector have been rather underwhelming. Not even a store. Not that we could afford anything.
FTLe0025.jpg

Moar distress.
FTLe0026.jpg

Moar assholes with guns.
FTLe0027.jpg

Moar easy victory and blank beacons that could have nearly anything.
FTLe0028.jpg

Dude we just had this conversation with the dead guys over there.
FTLe0030.jpg

It's kind of harder to show whats going on in screenshots with ion weapons, since the disabled systems blink blue, they appear normal half the time. Though as you can see, their shields are disabled right now, not even a hollow bubble under their hull.
FTLe0031.jpg

This enemy has a somewhat rare weapon: a bomb. Bombs are like missiles in that they bypass shields. Unlike missiles though, bombs do no hull damage, and can't be shot down by drones. Instead, they damage systems and personel in the rooms they target. Of course, the enemy is retarded and just bombed an empty airlock, which does nothing at all.
FTLe0032.jpg

Well, at least we keep winning back a drone part or two after these fights.
FTLe0033.jpg

Ooh a storage cache. Hope it has nice gear. Or any gear, honestly.
FTLe0034.jpg

A quick victory at the cost of a few hull damage. Theres not much we can do about missiles at this point.
FTLe0035.jpg

:rage: The cache was empty. Not cool.
FTLe0036.jpg

Lets take our rage out on this guy.
FTLe0037.jpg

Didn't even take damage this time thanks to some nice evasions.
FTLe0038.jpg

Yet another average reward. This wouldn't be so bad if there were a store we could use.
FTLe0039.jpg

Of son of a bitch, I though this beacon was connect to the one in the bottom right. :x This can get you killed very easily, a lot of sectors have troll layouts like this, where the exit is only accessible from one direction.
FTLe0040.jpg

We need to waste some fuel backtracking now...
FTLe0041.jpg

And on top of that, now we have little time to spare for searching more beacons.
FTLe0042.jpg

We find a rebel scout on the one we do have time for before hitting the exit.
FTLe0043.jpg

Pretty easy pickings when the drone plays smart.
FTLe0044.jpg

:yawn: Gimme a god damned laser already.
FTLe0045.jpg

Cutting it pretty close here.
FTLe0046.jpg

But we make it without getting caught by the fleet.
FTLe0047.jpg

Gah. For any other ship this would mean a lot of free scrap. But we need those drones.
FTLe0048.jpg

Onward to Zoltan Sector. Our ship would not do well in an ion storm at all, and those only appear in nebulas, and we can't see them coming.
FTLe0049.jpg

Plus, this place will have more Zoltans to beat up.
FTLe0050.jpg

Black has already reached level 2 in weapons, thanks to the fast reload time and how long these fights take.
FTLe0051.jpg

Ouch. That is troublesome. Fortunately he's an engi, so he can patch it up fairly quickly.
FTLe0052.jpg

:hmm: Fucking beam weapons man. Not cool.
FTLe0053.jpg

Oh come ON. Also, note how the shitty ship layout makes it take forever to vent the engine or shield room. The nearest airlocks are very far away and require venting every room in between, so it's not safe to go repair.
FTLe0054.jpg

Oh yeah, thats perfect. God forbid you ever hit an empty room or fail to start fires and hull breaches you lucky green cunts.
FTLe0055.jpg

So, we're down 12 hull since we started this fight, and have lost 4 different systems entirely. At least weapons just came back online, and the enemy shield system got taken out by the drone (which has ignored their weapons pretty much entirely.)
FTLe0056.jpg

:mob:

FTLe0057.jpg

And here's our shitty reward that doesn't even come close to covering the costs.
FTLe0058.jpg

I'll have black repair the systems while lightbane does the hull breach. Only system repairs give repair xp, and I'd rather have our engi level up so he can repair things super fast.
FTLe0059.jpg

Another distress beacon. Lets go for it, sometimes these lead to stores or free repairs.
FTLe0060.jpg

Nope, it's two ships fighting in an asteroid field. Fuck that shit.
FTLe0061.jpg

Note that we still have to actually charge our jump drive to get out of here, unlike normal beacons where it just automatically charges if no enemy ships are near.
FTLe0062.jpg

Being in an asteroid field is kind of like having an anti ship drone on your ass the whole time. 1 damage rocks constantly pelt your ship with random targetting.
FTLe0064.jpg

Unlike drones though, the rocks have a random frequency, which can sometimes overwhelm shield regen speed, especially if you only have 1 shield and nobody manning the system.
FTLe0065.jpg

Fucking cunt rocks hit our piloting, stalling our jump drive gauge until we can repair it.
FTLe0066.jpg

Also we're now down to 5 fucking hull points.
FTLe0067.jpg

Out of the frying pan and all that. Where the fuck are all the stores?
FTLe0068.jpg

Well shit. Their weapons are kind of weak, but they have an anti ship drone too. Oh, and more hull than us.
FTLe0069.jpg

Our drone has made the brilliant tactical decision to harm their piloting and weapons system without harming the drone control. Their drone, OTOH, went straight for our shields. Which are down.
FTLe0070.jpg

Sooooo.... yeah.
FTLe0071.jpg

:hero:
FTLe0072.jpg

Going to restart since that was such a short (and abysmally unlucky) run. Restarting gives you the same ship and names but is otherwise the same as starting from scratch. Just saves on the time spent renaming. Wish me luck on this run.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You had so much scrap! What's your usual tactic for starting? I normally try and get shields to level 2 asap, it cuts down on your damage costs which in turn means you have more scrap to spare in future due to savings in repairs.

Ashery

Prophet
That wasn't an "unlucky" run. You were sitting on 100+ scrap and didn't upgrade your shields.

For stores, there are a few strategies you can use to optimize the amount of scrap you have to spend while keeping up on the ship upgrades. My preferred method is to plan a short, yet flexible path to the exit that allows me to take advantage of most of the right side should I not run into a store. If I *do* run into a store, however, I'll have time to hit up several nearby nodes before doing my shipping and then making a beeline for the exit. This isn't a fixed strategy by any means, but adopting its general principle should keep you from hoarding scrap.

Damned Registrations

We could have upgraded shields, but the thing is, that ship needs FIVE energy to mount any offence at all, both the ion and the drone have to be active. So we'd need to upgrade the reactors too, unless we give up engines or oxygen. On top of that, we were very rapidly approaching the point where we'd be totally fucked without more offence. If we hit a shop and I had no scrap, we'd be dead for sure. You can't afford to sit around for 30 seconds in every fight while you whittle the shields away while the enemy has full weapons and drones active. Even a single 2 damage missile on the enemy ship can cost you 20 hull that way if it hits the wrong system. Shields would have helped us out with the last fight and the asteroids, but note that the single fight where we lost the most hull, the enemy had an ion weapon, which would have wrecked our shields anyways.

My general strategy early on is to be adjacent to as many nodes as possible to find as many stores and distress signals as possible. Also to use nebulae to stay longer if it's safe to do so. Better to take the risks early than late imo, especially if you intend to go out of your way to unlock shit later on.

Ashery

Prophet
We could have upgraded shields, but the thing is, that ship needs FIVE energy to mount any offence at all, both the ion and the drone have to be active. So we'd need to upgrade the reactors too, unless we give up engines or oxygen.

Except that you had over a hundred scrap to spend. Even if you continue to hoard scrap to some extent, you should have, at the very least, upgraded your shields once your hull strength was in the red. And you're exactly right in that you were at the point where you couldn't sit around for thirty seconds, but the thing is, you're only right in so far as that you couldn't sit around for thirty seconds with only a single shield bubble. The ion weapon wouldn't have been much of a problem, by the way, as it was likely only an ion burst mk1. That is to say, the enemy wouldn't have been able to build up ion damage.

It's definitely better to take risks early on if you're looking at it from the perspective of "wasted" time, but I've got a win rate to maintain :smug:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, I suck at this game. Though I have managed to reach the last sector once, thought I had a good ship with 3 mk2 burst lasers, but was cut down quickly by the boss anyhow. Definitely need to play a few games on easy to learn this game better. :roll:

Cool name

Arcane
This Let's Play is interesting to me because you play so different from how I do. You do love taking risks.

If I might give you a little advice it is a grave mistake to not get the second shield bubble as soon as you get 50 scrap for all ships but the stealth cruisers. You will lose many runs that you could have won doing so. Notice the following:

You did fight a slug interceptor with a single shield bubble, a single shot laser, and a small beam. With two shield bubbles the ship would have been unable to hurt you. Your Ion Blast Mk.II would have been enough to keep both the shields and the O2 shut down. You would have captured the ship intact.

The same scenario did present itself with the second rebel rigger you got. It had a drone but you could have micromanaged the Ion Blast to keep both the drone bay and the O2 shut down if you did use your drone to keep the shields down. While harder to pull off you could have also used the Ion Blast to break the enemy drone's timing so that it would shoot at a time that would allow you to have at least one shield when the beam did fire. If so you would be able to focus on the O2.

Did the first rebel rigger have a single shot gun, a beam, and a beam drone? If so you could have shut down its O2 and capture the ship intact in the same way.

Those encounters are not rare in the first few sectors.

Two ships captured would offset the cost of the second bubble. They can also give you crew and equipment. Three ships would put you ahead.

A second shield would also allow you to use the slug interceptor to raise your starting crew to level 3 in weapons, shields, engines, and navigation. An Ion Blast Mk.II crewed by a maxed gunner shoots twice in the time it takes the shield to come back online from its first shot. You would also have ten percent more dodge.

On a different topic I would like to add in a normal fight against a single bubble ship you should not aim your Ion Blast to the shield generator but to the weapons. The first shot ionizes the shields when it does hit the bubble and the second one ionizes the weapons. Then the shield comes back up and it starts again. I did not notice you doing this.

I do wish to make clear I am not criticizing you. I am just offering a different perspective. Please do not take my words as disrespectful.

Damned Registrations

Some decent points, though I'm not inclined to spend 30 minutes waiting for my ion blast to disable the oxygen on an enemy ship long enough to kill them, not when a single miss will fuck the timing. Same with scumming for xp. Though if you're into that, another trick that works is lowering your shields and raising them against an enemy that can't hurt you (Like one with only ion weapons or unable to repair or whatever.)

I think shields are pretty overrated. Weapons that are stopped by shields are rarely a threat anyways, the only exception being light beams. If the enemy has a mark 3 burst laser, there's little difference between having 1 or 2 shields. If they have a missile, there's no difference at all. I find it's a much safer bet to take out their weapons ASAP. The Torus is shit at this job though; if you alternate between shields and weapons with the ions you're keeping them both disabled by 1 point. Assuming they have 2 energy in shields, and not 3, in which case you're fucking yourself because the first shot does nothing to the shield, and you're effectively letting them repair 2 damage every time the disabling wears off. Disabling 1 point of enemy weapons is fairly pointless, it'll just shut down the most ineffective weapon anyways. And of course the drone does whatever the fuck it wants, but I'd rather have the chance of it hitting something important and at least causing hull damage than the chance it plinks the shield uselessly. I really dislike the starting setup the torus has. The weapons are weak, and unlike most ships a teleporter isn't a viable option because your crew is shit for that.

Ultimately, if I were going for win rate alone, I'd put some into shields by the point we were at. But getting to the rock homeworld and not being in good enoguh shape to unlock the ship would piss me off WAY more than a death early on does, so I'd rather take the risk and magnify the benefits of any stores we find.

Monocause

Arcane
Damned Registrations:

Never finished the game with the Torus but had quite a few of semi-successful runs (ie. reached the end boss). You were unlucky indeed not to find a shop and not to find anything that could help increase your damage output, but 120 scrap just sitting there in the storage is just wasted scrap. Even an investment in the engines would be the better choice than not doing nothing since higher base evasion rate means more XP for the pilot, which turns to more evasion rate later.

Also:

I think shields are pretty overrated. Weapons that are stopped by shields are rarely a threat anyways, the only exception being light beams. If the enemy has a mark 3 burst laser, there's little difference between having 1 or 2 shields.

I can't follow your reasoning. Well of course that when the enemy has mark 3 burst lasers than two layers of shields is useless - but at the time you meet well-equipped enemy ships like these you should have at least three shield layers and other stuff. We're talking about early game here, and two shield layers extend your survivability by quite a lot.

Weapons that could be stopped by better shields are what essentially killed you in your playthrough :P

Cool name

Arcane
You are right. Please do keep playing as you usually do. I do enjoy reading your adventures. To see someone play as I do all I need to do is to start the game and do a run.

I am sorry if I did bother you previously. I do enjoy discussing strategies for the game. I did let myself get carried away.

Damned Registrations

Update time!

FTLe0073.jpg

Our voyage begins with losing 2 hull. Pretty standard for this ship.
FTLe0074.jpg

This is a very odd event. I get it fairly often but... well you'll see.
FTLe0075.jpg

Free scrap for us anyways.
FTLe0076.jpg

2 scrap for fuel is an excellent bargain. We'll grab all we can.
FTLe0077.jpg

Going to name our next ship the SS Filthy Pirate.
FTLe0078.jpg

Sonofabitch has an anti ship drone. :x
FTLe0079.jpg

And of course our shields went down, which means their beam weapon is raping us too. Our drone has insured that their air supply is kinda stale though. They'll surely die... never because they have a medbay anyways.
FTLe0080.jpg

Shields back up and the drone finally hit their drone control, with the second to last shot of the battle. :roll:
FTLe0081.jpg

Well, that is a pleasant surprise at least.
FTLe0082.jpg

Even if it is a worthless, inferior human.
FTLe0083.jpg

Once again, sector 1 seems devoid of stores. Woooo. Time to finish our quest.
FTLe0084.jpg

This is the message I get every time I do this quest. I once had a blue option to take a potshot with a missile launcher, but it didn't amount to anything. I think you're supposed to have really strong weapons, maybe multiple missile launchers or bombs, and it'll let you attack. But I _always_ get this mission within the first couple sectors when my equipment is total shit.
FTLe0085.jpg

And usually this happens. Sometimes you get away unnoticed though.
FTLe0086.jpg

Anyways, we downed it with more minor losses and reveal a distress beacon.
FTLe0087.jpg

Gah. If only we had the right ship for this. We'll try to help though.
FTLe0088.jpg

I figured this might happen, but we had two lame ass humans anyways, and we really only need 1 engi.
FTLe0089.jpg

The newcomer was the one that died apparently. And we get into another typical fight.
FTLe0091.jpg

Ehhh... I really want an item. Kill them all.
FTLe0092.jpg

Oh shit.
FTLe0093.jpg

He's got a heavy laser too, it'll hurt bad if a rock takes out our shield and the laser lands on our hull.
FTLe0094.jpg

See the missile and asteroid headed for our ship? This could really suck.
FTLe0095.jpg

But it doesn't. They hit each other. If a missile or a drone happens to get hit by a meteor or laser, it gets blown up. Normally this happens because of defense drones, but it can happen randomly too. I've lost a few offensive drones just because they floated in front of an enemy laser. In this case, the missile and asteroid took each other out without hitting us.
FTLe0096.jpg

We actually got through without a scratch. Very nice.
FTLe0097.jpg

Time to rescue some people from the evil rebels. Who are armed with an incredibly pathetic ship lacking almost every system in the game.
FTLe0098.jpg

Hurray for bonus rewards.
FTLe0099.jpg

STILL no fucking store. Nearly time to leave.
FTLe0100.jpg

Gotta help our bros out. :bro:
FTLe0101.jpg

We're getting chipped down a bit each fight, but I pretty much expected that. We've got some decent scrap again.
FTLe0102.jpg

Though what I really want is an item.
FTLe0103.jpg

Hnnngh. :x
FTLe0104.jpg

I'm not sure if we'll make it back in time, but I decide to risk going to the store. Which was pointless, it's selling useless crap for us.
FTLe0106.jpg

This is gonna be close. *crosses fingers*
FTLe0107.jpg

Phew. Just barely in time.
FTLe0108.jpg

And we finally got an item drop. Of course, it's an icnredibly useless item. I'd pretty much only use this thing if we somehow got to sector 8 without finding a mark 1 defense drone. 4 energy just to stop missiles is insane.
FTLe0109.jpg

Onward to pirate land.
FTLe0110.jpg

Here's hoping we don't die to boarders. They could easily kill us if they get a shot on the medbay and board there before we can repair it.
FTLe0111.jpg

Interesting sector layout. Time to hunt for more stores.
FTLe0112.jpg

Empty. Distress beacon?
FTLe0113.jpg

This is a free crewmember if we had the right gear. But we don't.
FTLe0114.jpg

Instead we risk shielding them and it pays off. A good trade.
FTLe0115.jpg

And we killed some totally irrelevant ship. MOAR SCRAP FOR THE SCRAP GOD.
FTLe0116.jpg

And a store. With 192 scrap and a drone to sell, we can buy pretty much anything we want.
FTLe0117.jpg

Too bad they have almost nothing we want. We'll grab the sensors.
FTLe0118.jpg

Actually, we'll grab the rockman as well. He'll probably come in handy at some point, and a 3 man crew is a bit sketchy. Now at least we can man the 4 main stations.
FTLe0119.jpg

We get shields too. At this point we may very well end up becoming a boarding ship. We've had no luck with weapons at all.
FTLe0120.jpg

More distress. These are common in pirate sectors. Both because of people needing to be saved from pirates and pirates laying traps.
FTLe0121.jpg

This will hopefully lead us to another store.
FTLe0122.jpg

Nice job game. :troll:
FTLe0123.jpg

I *think* our shields can hold this off.
FTLe0124.jpg

Yeah, we're doing fine.
FTLe0125.jpg

That is... a pretty weak offer.
FTLe0126.jpg

Significantly better.
FTLe0127.jpg

Another easy kill.
FTLe0128.jpg

And extra scrap. Not too shabby.
FTLe0129.jpg

Hmm, this could go either way depending on asteroids.
FTLe0130.jpg

Well we took a hit, but luckily it wasn't anywher important.
FTLe0131.jpg

And two more hits after that, but again, they hit systems that didn't matter.
FTLe0132.jpg

We'll get patched up and leave ASAP.
FTLe0133.jpg

Agassi does all the repairs solo, in the hopes that he reaches level 2 quickly. Having good repair guys for when key systems fail is very nice.
FTLe0134.jpg

I'd rather not visit an ion storm on this ship, but theres no other nodes to go to except the exit, and I want to milk things before it gets impossible with these weapons.
FTLe0135.jpg

Luckily we didn't find an enemy ship.
FTLe0136.jpg

Free crew! Nice.
FTLe0137.jpg

Yet another human though.
FTLe0138.jpg

Chance at even more crew. Though we're going to fight for it obviously. The enmy has a shitty weapon set, we'll be fine.
FTLe0139.jpg

Hurray for free kills. We've been lucky this run and encountered almost no burst lasers or missiles past sector 1.
FTLe0140.jpg

They never tried to surrender. Ah well.
FTLe0141.jpg

Well, we got options. Where do you guys want to go? I'd take the rock sector personally. Although they're about the same in terms of difficulty (zoltan might even be a tad easier, rocks often use missiles), the rock sector branches afterwards, while the Zoltan is going to shoehorn us into 2 nebula sectors in a row.
FTLe0142.jpg

Oh, and our shield loving crewmember has levelled up. 20% faster shield recharge now. :thumbsup:

When I first heard of FTL I thought I'd buy it if it lived up to it's promise. I heard from many it did. I figured I'd buy at the next 50% sale, but reading this makes me struggle to not buy it now. Yes I realize it's only $10, but I'm spend-thrift.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
FTLe0084.jpg

This is the message I get every time I do this quest. I once had a blue option to take a potshot with a missile launcher, but it didn't amount to anything. I think you're supposed to have really strong weapons, maybe multiple missile launchers or bombs, and it'll let you attack. But I _always_ get this mission within the first couple sectors when my equipment is total shit.

I got a blue dialogue choice in this quest recently.

If you've got a firebomb launcher installed and two missiles to spare, you can finish this mission. I believe the reward was rather crappy though, but complete it I did.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In other news, I really suck at this game. I managed to get a win, but only by playing on easy difficulty. When playing on normal I rarely get past sector 5, if even that far, even when I follow the advice given earlier in this thread about using scrap on shields/engines and farming xp on enemies that cannot hurt you. :roll:

I now play on easy, trying to unlock the other ships. I have unlocked the Engi cruiser, the Zoltan cruiser (blind luck on the very first playthrough) and finally the Fed cruiser. All other ships are still locked, I have yet to see even the start of the unlocking quest chains, even though I've spoiled myself and looked for hints online.
So I decided to play on easy with the express purpose of trying to find the unlock quests. I won't cheat and download saves from online, nor will I hack the game, but it sits ill with me that I've played 20+ hours already and haven't beaten the game on normal difficulty yet, nor unlocked even half of the ships. :M

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Go for Rock controlled territory. I don't think we have seen one in this LP.

How long is this game? If I understood correctly it is only 8 sectors and crew skills can only advance to level 3? And how much there is different missions/weapons/ships/etc. This seems like a great game but I'm getting a feeling that it is awfully short.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Finishing a game, as in winning it, will take at least a few hours I've found.

Thing is, this is so random that you have to change your plans as you go along. You cannot count on finding what you want at shops, and indeed, the "wrong" random encounter can fuck you up without you being able to do anything about it.

This is a roguelike, and they're about "having fun", ie dying horribly more than succeeding.
I like it. Short a single game may be, but I find myself returning for more and more abuse, though I've dialed down the difficulty for the time being, trying to unlock more ships. Once I have those, I will play at normal again. :salute:

In short, I'd recommend this game. If you're a Eurofag like me though, you get the best deal buying the game directly from their website instead of through Steam. Steam charges 9.99€, whereas you only pay 9.99$ if you buy it from www.ftlgame.com

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom