Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Let's brainstorm a new Icewind Dale game.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
:what:
sorry man but TF is that?

i thought you publish here some pnp rules, but this is book (prose) about someone playing rpg with his family?

:shredder:
dude you have no idea what bullshit i told my parents, so they didnt call my sessions a satanic rituals. CRINGE overloaded...
That is terrible. I'm sorry to hear that.

The genre is called LitRPG. From what I understand, the early works were mainly in Russia and SE Asia. There are some pretty big authors writing in the genre, such as Defiance of the Fall's TheFirstDefier, and Reborn: Apocalypse's L M Kerr. Since I've started reading in the genre, I've had a hard time going back to regular fantasy. They even have cultivation LitRPG novels. Best of all worlds. Now, if only we'd get a decent cultivation video game rpg. Cultivation Simulator was not what I was looking for, and Jade Empire barely dabbled into the cultivation side of the mythology.

Here is the forum post I made about my book - https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...em-and-cleve-roqua-inspired-character.144738/

Lagi

Savant
here is the result for Icewind Dale prompt. I am suprise he figure it out it should be an isometric view ala the game one.
It even try to do UI in the corner.
KMnYiTp.png

edit:

better one
ruVBKJ8.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The perfect Icewind Dale formula is this:
You create a party of adventurers and proceed to exterminate all orc,goblinoid,bugbear,ogre,troll threat in the North. Story? What story?
On a more serious note,the story can always be about some major monster/demon or whatever making a mess of things,a mess which you and your party have to deal with. Icewind Dale is one of the most dangerous regions of Faerun for a reason...
ee8d475e2c5854299c040f824602fb52.jpg

Ysaye

Arbiter
The perfect Icewind Dale formula is this:
You create a party of adventurers and proceed to exterminate all orc,goblinoid,bugbear,ogre,troll threat in the North. Story? What story?
On a more serious note,the story can always be about some major monster/demon or whatever making a mess of things,a mess which you and your party have to deal with. Icewind Dale is one of the most dangerous regions of Faerun for a reason...
ee8d475e2c5854299c040f824602fb52.jpg
Wouldn't that literally be copying the plot from some of the later RA Salvatore Drizzt books ("The Lone Drow" from 2003)?

Lagi

Savant
The story would be about a party of adventurers who are in Icewind Dale to get rich by plundering the countryside before the short summer is over. Any connection to earlier games would be minimal. The overall atmosphere would be grim and unforgiving and a struggle against the terrible cold would play a major part. The entire campaign would be just that, a campaign, and exploration would take place on a nicely drawn world map. If you don't have enough supplies you will freeze to death, there would be a good possibility of getting lost, plenty of random encounters and not only with monsters, etc. The adventure ends when the player is either thwarted, gets on a ship to leave Icewind Dale or as winter sets in. As long as you have enough coin to leave by ship, you could as said do so at any time (when in port) and a tally and a high score list will appear, detailing your exploits. Of course there would be story details as well - how the PCs actions changed events in the region. If the player reaches certain thresholds of wealth, different aftermath screens an short films would play. The lowest tiers would simply have the PCs die in poverty or freeze.
i like this "story"
plus wandering around world map Fallout 1 style (or serpent in the staglands) - encountering random stuff.
all that sprinkle with quests from Rime of the Frostmaiden - all of them as side quests. You could not do a single one, just loot random dungeons and return to ship. Would be fun, if the quest line change the world, so if you ignore some task, then after day 234 the orcs will plunder city X, or ice on some lake will melt cutting off access to one region and opening another underwater (that require ability to breath underwater to explore).

gameplay idea:
as you get exp and levels, your character health deteriorate - negative perks, or at some points max hp just start dropping. To the point when you would be forced to retire your character by going back to the ship. And here maybe some niche races like gnomes could be better as they live span/endurance to recovering from wounds would be longer.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Well I suppose as long as there are some nice looking 2d background and memorable OST, different and challenging combat encounters plus LOTS of snow then its a perfect IWD3 alright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom