Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's break some boots in the RoA! (Escape from Castle Orkenstein)

spekkio

Arcane
I'm too busy next-gen to create my character, but at least I'm gonna watch your die.

:smug:

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Tsk, tsk, tsk, some people :P

Anyways, time's up and there are three contestants. I split it up like this:
1-6 Pariah
7-12 Azira
12-18 toastboy
19-20 reroll

The dices fall and it's a...20
Again and it's a...19 (not making this up)
Again and it's a...16

The elf is in!
z1-1.jpg

z2-1.jpg

z3-1.jpg

z4-1.jpg

Now I just need to find the time to actually play the thing.

Lindblum

Augur
Pussycat669 said:
Now I just need to find the time to actually play the thing.

Yeah preferbly after importing the characters. :D

Are you playing the GOG version or DosBox?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
DosBox. I had the old zip files from Abandonia still archived away for RoA 1+2. Riva could become a problem though. While I do own the original CDs for the entire trilogy, it's all German and I don't know if the import saves will be compatible. Of course, we'll first need to get this far...

Pussycat669

Liturgist
I feel we're off to a great start, with Golgepapaz being a filthy rich nobleman.

Oh, if only you would know. :/

I had to sell your harp by the way. You can barely hold ten arrows without getting overloaded.

On a completely unrelated note, is just me or do spells really fail 9 out of 10 times at the beginning? So far all 10 of Murrow's attempts to cast Horriphobus failed miserably and the others didn't fare much better with their magic except for healing.

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
That seems terribly unlucky, all 3 stats are pretty good for this spell. Now that I look at the attributes involved in my preferred spells, a lot of them use ST and CH... :? I should have made CR my dump stat. But that's munchkin powergaming crap. Also I've finally caught up with the darklands LP, good work there. :salute:

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@Crooked Bee
Probably not tonight as I still got stuff to do and was only able to play for an hour or two. Beating at least the first dungeon would be my personal minimum.

@toasboy
Maybe it will improve later on. I kinda remember that the PCs start out fairly weak until they reach level 5 or so. Also :salute:

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
good little toastboy said:
Nice, I'm in! I feel we're off to a great start, with Golgepapaz being a filthy rich nobleman. My days as a shirtless dancer/harp player are over!

I am sure you low-life scum would bleed me dry in a few nights at the inn.And what companions, a pair of tree-huggers , a sickly mage, a greedy evil bitch and a halfway decent dwarvess but so fugly my eyes hurt when looking at her.
Anyway where's ma update...

Pussycat669 said:
On a completely unrelated note, is just me or do spells really fail 9 out of 10 times at the beginning? So far all 10 of Murrow's attempts to cast Horriphobus failed miserably and the others didn't fare much better with their magic except for healing.

:thumbsup:

This is going to be fun to watch.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
The journey begins (original intro can be found here):

z1.jpg

Thorwal, City of the Free. One of the oldest settlements in all of Arkania. Populated with indomitable warriors and seafarers, rich in treasures from innumerable forays.

z2.jpg

The orcs, furred hunters and warriors, always on the lookout for new hunting grounds. For centuries now, they have been the scourge of the settled north…

z3.jpg

It is the year 15. This is the story of a sword. A sword lost for a hundred years, and yet it may determine the course of the future…

z4.jpg

Many years ago, the Thorwalians pillaged the hade slave trader towns of the south. Their captain was Hetman Hyggelik, feared all along the civilized coastlines…

z5.jpg

Loaded with treasure, the dragon ships returned home – all except Hyggelik’s. He went straight to the Cyclops Islands, to have a sword forged he was bound to need on his next trip…

z6.jpg

That next journey led Hyggelik to the Orcish Lands, the only area of Arkania from where no one had ever returned to draw a map…

z7.jpg

Neither would he… In a night of terror, the orcs attacked his camp and massacred them all…

z8.jpg

And so, Hyggelik was laid to rest in a nameless place somewhere on the Orcish Steppes, buried by the last of his companions, none of which reached Thorwal with their mind intact…

z9.jpg

But all that is history now. Only the present counts, a present where thousands of orcs are gathering on the steppes to bring death and destruction to the humans of Arkania.
But this time, for once, they are not feuding amongst themselves, they are united under a great chief pursuing no less than the utter conquest of Thorwal…

z10.jpg

You do not know any of this, when your ship reaches Thorwal harbour. You are dreaming of adventure, of the big city, of hearing your names proclaimed by the skalds and bards on all corners of the world…

z11.jpg

z12.jpg

We start in a temple of all places. Here you can save without limits (otherwise it’ll cost you some EP. Not a big amount but it’s still a great mental barrier) and spend tons of cash in the small hopes that a deity will take pity on you. We on the other hand know what to do with our money. To the pub!

z13.jpg

Two steps later…

z14.jpg

z15.jpg

Another two steps later…

z16.jpg

z17.jpg

I can already tell that this game and I are going to become the best of friends.

z18.jpg

Seriously, I just want a beer :cry:

z19.jpg

We are finally able to cross the street.

z20.jpg

z21.jpg

There is only one logical approach to deal with the fact that we just lost about 80% of our budget.

z22.jpg

z23.jpg

z24.jpg

Main quest heading our way.

z25.jpg

Since we presented ourselves as quiet likeable fellows, rumours reach us fairly easily.

z26.jpg

z28.jpg

z27.jpg

Unfortunately however, they don't get any more useful. We decide to take our leave.

z29.jpg

It’s high time to check for our map.

z30.jpg

Quick tutorial: blue=inns&pubs, grey=stores, purple=healers, dark green= smiths, orange=temples, brown=huts although you usually don’t want to bother with those.

z31.jpg

Holga is more in need of an inn than anything and more random events are bound to happen.

z32.jpg

The orcs actually pose a real threat and, contrary to next-gen expectations, won’t wait for any special trigger before they start their invasion in about two years time which would mean instant game over for us.

z33.jpg

z34.jpg

Never understood the cheese toast bit to be honest.

z35.jpg

Inns aren’t just a great place to cure a hangover but also a good opportunity for Murrow to bump up his wand level to a solid 3. His wand now glows in the dark and turns into a rope if such is needed. How come I can’t write this down without thinking of sexual innuendo? Anyways, time to gear up.

z36.jpg

Fascinating.

z37.jpg

Our treasury allows the acquisition of two helmets and 99 arrows (since toasboy can’t carry them all or anything at all for that matter, I thereby promote Murrow to arrow carrier first class). That obviously won’t get us very far so we ask around for some well paid jobs.

z38.jpg

z39.jpg

z40.jpg

z41.jpg

z42.jpg

The money combined with Bee's fair haggling skills is barely enough to get some half-way decent armour. Further inspections reveal a hidden, yet important feature of Thorwal: the Academy of Magic.

z43.jpg

It’s the only place where you can get curses removed. We might need that service later on.

z44.jpg

z45.jpg

Our first dungeon, ladies and gentleman. It’s a good place for beginners since it’s right in town so you don’t have to go far to the next shopkeeper to sell loot or inns if something goes sour. There are two or three bandits lingering around but they aren’t much of a threat at the start.

z46.jpg

Our first chest which contains many mana potions for Murrow. Although you don’t need to identify potions, they all look alike which makes the progress of organising them rather tedious.

z47.jpg

Some healthy advice: never anger a god in RoA. Otherwise chances are high that very unpleasant things will happen to you.

z48.jpg

Our first door to open. I’m glad that the option to just bash the thing finally makes a comeback after all this time.

z49.jpg

There is nothing of interest in that room. Further down the hallway however…

z50.jpg

z51.jpg

z52.jpg

We escape through a fake wall and unwittingly jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

z53.jpg

This is the toughest battle so far. Two goons start to surround poor little toastboy, who tries the calm spell, Bambaladam, to get them off of his back.

z54.jpg

Further away from that scene are Bee and Murrow, who have two other attackers to deal with. Murrow casts the fear spell, Horriphobus, but that doesn’t work too well either.

z55.jpg

It’s Korenzel’s turn. Now you’re going to dance, suga!

z57.jpg

z58.jpg

This goes on for a while until I decide to make reboot since going back to the inn to get all those wasted MP back would suck up too many precious hours.

z59.jpg

This time we play it smart. A fight in RoA can be rather long lasting since everyone gets quiet a lot of HP and an attack has about four chances to go wrong on every try. What helps here, especially at the start and when ranged weapons are involved, is to draw as many opponents as possible to your best fighters, who can then use the defensive stance and turtle in, while you shoot arrows and bolts into their backs. Still, for the sake of science, I let Murrow cast Horriphobus until he runs out of mana but the result never changes. Either those bandits have an incredibly high magic resistance or Murrow just broke pretty much every rule of probability.

z60.jpg

Toastboy in the meantime goes into a respectful distance while Holga starts to claim everyone’s attention.

z61.jpg

First evil doer to cave in and panic under the constant barrage of arrows:

z62.jpg

I put too much confidence into Bee’s combat abilities and she gets roughed up pretty badly. Korenzel jumps to her aid but his dagger breaks and he loses more than half of his HP on fumbled fist attacks alone so I rather put him on guard instead.

z63.jpg

We are victorious in the end despite those minor setbacks and mostly due to toastboy’s steady aim with his bow. Here’s the situation of the party right after the battle:

z64.jpg

Healing magic and skills aren’t enough to fix that. We still need to return to an inn for some healing :/

z65.jpg

Yeah, that won’t help them much anymore. At least this first trip leaves us with enough resources to buy everyone the best equipment there is and Murrow uses his spare time to upgrade his wand one more time, allowing him to cast all his spells for two MP less.
The bandits were guarding the way further down into the dungeon. There is another supply room with two chests full of weapons, which we carry out and sell for quiet a sum, a hole leading to the beach and which is apparently intended for smuggling activities, and another locked door with a second big fight behind it.

z66.jpg

Maybe a different mindset (i.e. spells) will help here.

z67.jpg

We are starting out good. That’s one problem less to worry about for the next few turns.

z68.jpg

Of course, Murrow, who has less chance to actually succeed than toastboy, manages to cast Bambaladam on his first attempt. :retarded:
toastboy doesn’t get much time to complain however as there are again two bandits closing in on him.

z69.jpg

Since toastboy can’t parry with his bow and is lacking a melee weapon as it would have been too heavy, his HPs are soon in the red. This calls for some desperate measures and Murrow starts swinging his big wand at those fiends. This goes surprisingly well.

z70.jpg

The blind effect wears off and the bandit is able to hit Korenzel quiet painfully. Holga takes that bastard on. toastboy goes to help golgepapaz as his struggle has reached a standstill. The calmed bandit just stands around like a plant.

z71.jpg

Last shot before flawless victory (after our current standards that is):

z72.jpg

There is a inconspicuous that catches our interest.

z73.jpg

z74.jpg

Holga tries to pick the lock but the lock pick breaks and all the other remaining doors are locked as well, forcing us to resurface yet again. Might as well collect the reward while we’re at it.

z75.jpg

This time we try the other doors first.

z76.jpg

I make the tactical mistake of grabbing anything that isn’t nailed to the floor without considering that there may be random encounters after those messages. Facing one single bandit gets all the dramatic when everyone is left with only one AP and the bastard goes after your mage but I’ll skip this experience. Murrow is able to open the sinister door with a spell and we continue our descent.

z77.jpg

It can happen that everyone in the party temporally loses one point of courage although I’m not sure why. The hallway soon ends in a dead end as the ceiling is collapsed with no way through. We search the side rooms for loot.

z78.jpg

The game says that we will require a rope for climbing down safely but neither Murrow’s wand nor the rope from a shop, after we’ve gone through the pain of walking all up and down again, does suffice. For once we’re lucky and everyone reaches the bottom even without the extra help.

z79.jpg

z80.jpg

We soon have our first run in with the undead. Their HP are low compared to the bandits we faced before and they go down fairly easily.

Some events during our search:

z81.jpg

z82.jpg

Walking through the water isn’t such a dandy idea.

z83.jpg

Ok, we’re out of here.

z84.jpg

z85.jpg

z86.jpg

z87.jpg

z88.jpg

The guy is friendly enough to let us enter the dungeon from his cellar, saving us a lot of legwork. We soon find some stairs leading back up to the hall that was previously blocked by the cave-in.

z89.jpg

You could have mentioned that unavoidable trap though.

z90.jpg

Otherwise there is nothing but rotten bones lying around minus the animated ones.

z91.jpg

There is only one last part in the level below that we haven’t explored yet.

z92.jpg

z93.jpg

Someone had to take the fall, I guess.

z94.jpg

More skeletons, a few items lying around and not much of interest. Onwards to the next room.

z95.jpg

z96.jpg

Alright, a real demon! If I remember correctly, these can only be harmed by magical means so we have to ram up the special effects for this one.

z97.jpg

z98.jpg

z99.jpg

Go team magic!
The demon provides over 500 exp and brings everyone close to a level up. Still no good loot in sight thought so we press on.

z100.jpg

z101.jpg

I was honestly hoping for some treasure room or something but at least I get a chance to make some screenshots of the undead critters before I forget it again.

z102.jpg

That was the last room and even an intensive search for more hidden secrets afterwards doesn’t reveal anything of note. We still got a big pile of ducats out of this adventure although I wonder if the reward might have been greater if we would have slain the demon before going back to Master Dramosch.

We already wasted a month in Thorwal at this point, so there is no reason to delay our departure any further.

z103.jpg

z104.jpg

z105.jpg

z106.jpg

z107.jpg

There are often instances in RoA1 where you can either say the right or the wrong thing. Turns out I say the wrong thing here :(

z108.jpg

It's one of those wild goose chases then.

z109.jpg

I predict that the journey will be long and full of hardship but that is of no importance. The shit is on now!

z110.jpg

Well, you know what I mean.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Also, for those of you who are interested in pimping their own characters, this is how the level up works:

1. Increase a positive attribute by 1 point
2. Try to decrease one negative attribute by 1 point
3. Roll for HP, magic users will have to split the result into HP and MP pool
4. Convert 10 spell increase attempts into MP (Murrow)
5. Convert skill increase attempts into spell increases attempts (Korenze, Murrow)
6. Increase skills, just like during character creation. Murrow gets 15 attempts, the rest 20
7. Improve spells. Unmodified, toastboy has 20 attempts, Korenze 25 and Murrow 40

Please note that I will not wait for you, meaning that whenever a level up occurs and you haven't made a request, I'll just do what comes to my mind at the time. For now I need to hit the sack though. I'll move the screens of our current party status on the front page for easier reference.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Awesome update. :love: Spells sure tend to fail often in the beginning.

Pussycat669 said:
I can already tell that this game and I are going to become the best of friends.

:lol: Yeah, the game has many tricks up its sleeve. The second part, Star Trail, even more so iirc.

z31.jpg

Now that's a mug!

z34.jpg

:?

Pussycat669 said:
His wand now glows in the dark and turns into a rope if such is needed. How come I can’t write this down without thinking of sexual innuendo?

:roll:

Pussycat669 said:
I put too much confidence into Bee’s combat abilities and she gets roughed up pretty badly.

:rage:

Pussycat669 said:
The money combined with Bee's fair haggling skills is barely enough to get some half-way decent armour.

Don't tell me you haven't found the armoury in which you can get some free equipment!! Check TheLostOne's thread for details.

Pussycat669 said:
At least this first trip leaves us with enough resources to buy everyone the best equipment there is

Well, I guess there isn't much point in finding the armoury now, then. You can still grab whatever you're offered there and sell it, though...

Now onto leveling up... Here are my suggestions; feel free to disregard them if you think they're rubbish.
1. I guess I should go for Strength to avoid any MP penalty; but I'd really like to increase my Wisdom as it influences the Social skills (which are my favourite ones) -- the decision is up to you :P
2. Try decreasing my Avarice
3. Try increasing Pointed Weapons, Pickpocket, Stealth, and some Social skills (Seduce, Lie, Convert, whatever) by 1-2 points.

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
ITZ begun, awesome! And we already killed a demon. :thumbsup:

Those green orcs in the intro always make me go :x

1. Definitely increase Strength at least twice
2. -1 Necrophobia, Violent Temper after that please
3. 2/3 to MP
6. My preferences are Phys. and Self Control, Climb, Swim, Track, Stealth, Orientation, Survival, Perception, Missile and Sword
7. Concerning spells, go for Bambaladam, Acceleratus, Balm, Rest the body, Eagle's Eye, Accurate Eye, Fulminictus, Lightning, Visibili, Magic Armor maybe Chameleoni, I don't know if it even works, also Solidirid in homage to Bee's FF LP and Eagle, Wolf :Iwannabeashark:

Go Team Magic! Also: Go Bee! Pickpocket the fuck out of those taverns. I cannot steal their money with my beautiful harp playing anymore and we need our money back.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Crooked Bee said:
Awesome update. :love: Spells sure tend to fail often in the beginning.

Strange thing about it is that I made some test runs with random encounters against orcs and the whole situation seems to be in reverse there.

Crooked Bee said:
Pussycat669 said:
His wand now glows in the dark and turns into a rope if such is needed. How come I can’t write this down without thinking of sexual innuendo?

:roll:

I know, I know, sorry for that :D

Crooked Bee said:
Don't tell me you haven't found the armoury in which you can get some free equipment!! Check TheLostOne's thread for details.

The party would need the writ to get the free stuff iirc and that was a no go since I picked the wrong option with the Hetman. We'll have to return later for the paper to get a map piece anyways, if that's even possible :?

lightbane said:
This will be fun.

We haven't even gotten to the part where the party loses random items, including vital and magical ones. I'm not looking forward to this one.

good little toastboy said:
Definitely increase Strength at least twice

Thank you! Thank you! Oh god, thank you! :tear of joy:

EDIT: A thing I forgot to mention when increasing melee weapon skills, you can either increase attack or parry during a successful increase so if you have any preferences there let me know.

Cassidy

Arcane
This looks much, much better than Drakensang. Before seeing your first try on LPing this I ignorantly thought it was a blob combat game, but now I've seen it's turn-based, I'm definitively going to give it a try.

Also, out of curiousity, what happens if you pilfer form the Phex shrine? Supernatural forces slowly pickpocketing everything in the characters inventories?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom