Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's break some boots in the RoA! (Escape from Castle Orkenstein)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:love: Onwards to disease and death!

Pussycat669 said:
A temple again? :/

:yeah:

z80.jpg

Pussy detected. :smug:

Pussycat669 said:
The dialogue has revealed new routes which can be programmed into our GPS from now on.

:P

Bah!

:rage: :rage:

:lol:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
She looks familiar, that knight dude too.

z156.jpg

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/arkania/arkania5.htm , go down the page for some examples even in spirit of adventure, including mr nameless one himself.

lightbane

Arcane
That town sure was hostile. Can't you just kill them all as you did with that pirate town?

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Crooked Bee said:

Hah the silver-tongued master of deceit,the evil incarnate bee ,outwitted and outclassed...

Fire her and hire the woman :love:

I am assuming you don't get that encounter after leaving the first town because you imported the party from the first game? Beause I've won 2 levels worth of xp from that encounter...

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@lightbane
Nope, being pro KKK doesn't make you fair game by default. I really liked the scene with the lynch mob though. I mean, there you are, wandering around slaying dragons n' shit and it still only needs a bunch of angry people with pitchforks to bring you down. It's one of those true P&P experiences and I just wish there would be more of those nowadays.

golgepapaz said:
Hah the silver-tongued master of deceit,the evil incarnate bee ,outwitted and outclassed...

Yeah, come to think of it, choosing a highly superstitious gal to be our convert expert was probably not the best idea.

golgepapaz said:
Fire her and hire the woman

Why I would never... (waste the NPC slot for a diplomat :smug:)

golgepapaz said:
I am assuming you don't get that encounter after leaving the first town

No, it's for fresh meat only.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
He got Tetanus from a zombie bite so I wouldn't start to brag if I were you. :P
It's impossible to totally avoid diseases in RoA 2. (No, seriously)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pussycat669 said:
only needs a bunch of angry people with pitchforks to bring you down

You should give Devil Whiskey a try ;)

golgepapaz said:

Fire her and hire the woman :love:

:rage:

Pussycat669

Liturgist
z1.png

Looks like we’ve found the swamps after all.

z2.png

Everyone makes a sacrifice. We lose a lot of ducats that way but hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

z3.png

Since she's one of the more capable swimmers, we split Holga from the rest of the party and let her do the legwork to reach that intriguing looking tower. The rest can teleport.

z4.png

Darn.
Next point of interest is a house in the middle of nowhere.

z5.png

It spawns zombies whenever we try to enter. Holga uses the opportunity for a little XP boost but that's not the only thing we find nearby.

z6.png

z7.png

z8.png

z9.png

Swamp gorillas? Now we've really seen everything.

z10.png

z11.png

A chance to stock up on supplies. Nothing of real value.

z12.png

z13.png

Still no luck but while nobody is there...

z14.png

z15.png

We finally have our first contact with the locals.

z16.png

z17.png

z18.png

z19.png

z20.png

We are on the job!

z21.png

z22.png

No exploits allowed in this game :(
We'll have to walk the walk until we come face to face with the beast.

z23.png

The Engulfer can bite off large chunks of HPs but has great difficulties when he tries to maneuver. I also come to notice that the Master of Animal spell is bugged. Not only will it not work, it will also suck out every single MP out of Korenzel for some reason.

There is not much else to mention about the swamps except for a couple of more skirmishes with gorillas and a few orcs and goblins but they are starting to wear our heroes down. Only other thing of note we discover is a shortcut to one of the abandoned huts.

z24.png

z25.png

The party status after everything is hit and done:

z26.png

z28.png

It doesn't look like they were of much help anyways.

z29.png

The danger is not over though.

z30.png

Korenzel starts to lose strength pretty quickly. We'll have to act fast before it can end badly for him.

z35.png

Things are just starting to get dramatic.

z31.png

z32.png

z33.png

z36.png

Apparently, everyone wants to make us feel miserable :cry:

z37.png

z38.png

z39.png

z40.png

z41.png

z42.png

z43.png

z44.png

What better time for random encounters to constantly pop up but now?

z45.png

z455.png

z46.png

z47.png

z48.png

z49.png

z50.png

z51.png

If anyone asks, I so totally blame toastboy for all of this. Fortunately, the bandit archers all aim for Murrow, so Korenzel has a chance to snail crawl into safety.

z52.png

z53.png

We'll have to turn back, that's just dandy.

z54.png

z55.png

Bee! :x
Those things sure ain't pussycats.

z56.png

Know what? I'm really not in the mood today *reboot*

z565.png

Turns out this town has a temple of healing so all the backtracking could have probably been avoided.

z57.png

z58.png

z59.png

z60.png

z61.png

z62.png

z63.png

z64.png

We try our chances with prayers and get a fancy yet painfully long lasting animation.

z65.png

z66.png

That's all?

z67.png

Better.

We come across another swamp area on our way back to Arsingen.

z68.png

What follows is our second attempt to reach Tiefhusen by boat, this time more successfully.

z69.png

z70.png

Again the orcs have beat us to it.

z71.png

z72.png

This is starting to feel rather linear. Somewhere around this point I realize that I've forgotten to return to the lizard men to collect the reward, so I decide to go back to the swamps, right after someone has taken care of Korenzel's cold and we therefore had another chance to waste our shrinking treasury.

z73.png

z74.png

There is no way around another marsh, sadly. Alas, all the walking claims its first victim.

z75.png

z76.png

z77.png

z78.png

z79.png

z80.png

z81.png

z82.png

The woman's hut is still abandoned when we visit so we leave. It's Tiefhusen for real this time.

z83.png

Rumours Corner
z84.png

So much for that.

Events Corner
z85.png

z86.png

z87.png

z88.png

We bump into that fellow a couple of times so we get enough chances to try out the other options.

z89.png

z90.png

z91.png

z92.png

z93.png

z94.png

z95.png

z96.png

z97.png

z98.png

z99.png

z100.png

That was incredible satisfying.

z101.png

z102.png

There are different versions of that guy hanging around but they still all cost money.

z103.png

z104.png

No more unicorns for Korenzel. At least he remembered to bring a souvenir.

z105.png

z106.png

z107.png

z108.png

z109.png

That's not how it really happened, of course.

z110.png

z111.png

Other sights we find while lurking around are the castle,

z112.png

z113.png

temple of a male god,

z114.png

pubs,

z115.png

z116.png

z117.png

z118.png

z119.png

z120.png

z121.png

z122.png

a herbalist,

z123.png

z124.png

the temple of Phex,

z125.png

a general store,

z126.png

z127.png

and a weapon smith.

z128.png

z129.png

z130.png

It's a binary choice leading to the same long winded conclusion.

z131.png

z132.png

z133.png

z134.png

z135.png

z136.png

z137.png

z138.png

z139.png

z140.png

z141.png

z142.png

z143.png

z144.png

Mysterious stranger unlocked!

z145.png

z146.png

z147.png

z148.png

z149.png

z150.png

We already have the money although just barely.

z151.png

Our budget is already way below ten ducats but it'll suffice for some much needed preparations.

z152.png

There, all set.

z153.png

z154.png

z155.png

z156.png

z157.png

There hasn't been a dungeon for such a long time that some things almost appear alien now, like locked doors.

z158.png

Hidden doors are now easy to spot since their texture is a lot brighter than for the rest of the walls.

z159.png

It doesn't take long before we have our first encounter with a treasure chest.

z160.png

Some rather upset priests too.

z161.png

z162.png

Could it be...

z163.png

z164.png

...yay?

z165.png

A place with some nice decor, that's for sure.

z166.png

z167.png

Been there, done that.

z168.png

z169.png

z170.png

z55.png

(Ok, ok, Korenzel dies too on the first try. Auto combat be damned)

z171.png

The door is still shut tight. We're stuck here.

z172.png

z173.png

z174.png

z175.png

Door is open again. We're in for some more Scooby Doo moments.

z176.png

z177.png

z178.png

z179.png

z180.png

z181.png

z182.png

z183.png

z184.png

My eyes are filled with dread, it's a puzzle.

z185.png

z186.png

z187.png

Darkness is definitely not the correct answer.

z55.png

Alright, next time for sure.

z188.png

There is another treasure chest nearby, containing a goofy looking helmet and a shield.

z189.png

What Murrow is trying to say is that these two items can be equipped by every archetype, just like the golden shield. Very useful.

z190.png

z191.png

And here I though that Korenzel would never get his ten seconds of fame.

z192.png

z193.png

We only got about ten silver coins left. We throw everything in.

z194.png

Either because of that or because of the riddle we solved earlier, the last remaining doors that were hidden are now ready to be opened.

z195.png

z196.png

Oh, bloody hell!

z197.png

Thankfully, it turns out to be an easy and quiet unfitting memory mini game.

z198.png

Beats me, but there is only one hidden door left and I'm just glad when this is over.

z199.png

An high priest and his cohort are the final obstacle between us and freedom. Their spells break our weapons but not our determination to break their necks in return.

z200.png

z201.png

Just a bit of trivial informations before the grand finale.

z202.png

There are three people standing in front of the statue. One of them is the young priest from the inn. You don't know the second one. The third one is that traitor Hensger who is responsible for your being here. The man looks at you for a while, then he says sharply: “You are inside a temple here. Show your reverence!”

We do just that.

”All right, then. I assume you still want to know where Star Trail is. Put your mind at ease: The axe is safe and secure where it belongs. In the hands of Phex. It has been there all this time. Where exactly is none of your business. But it is in the middle of Orcish Lands and thus impossible to reach. In some ways, we are sorry that you have gone through such strenuous effort. Especially since you shall not receive the reward our young brother mentioned so rashly.”

z206.png

”You see, all of this has been no more than a test. No, not for you, but for our acolyte here. You weren't slated for any kind of test.”

z203.png

”Or do you really believe, the fates would be so unimaginative as to test you twice in allowing you to search for some weapon? As for you, young friend: You have failed your test in Historical Research miserably;”

z204.png

”however as it was a minor subject, and you deserve recommendation for your achievements in building security and motivation of third parties, we shall go easy on you. But you must take care to be more diligent in your research next time.”

z205.png

”And you, brave heroes, be assured of our eternal gratitude. But for now, I must ask you to leave the temple as the initiation rites are reserved for those who have reached a certain level.”

z207.png

I was just waiting for that option.

z208.png

They flee before we can even do anything but that's not the nasty surprise here.

z209.png

z210.png

z211.png

z212.png

z213.png

z214.png

z215.png

z216.png

z217.png

We're pretty much forced to leave nicely, if we still want to sleep safely in Tiefhusen. I can't wait to get this cesspool of money grabbing bastards behind me but before that...

z218.png

z219.png

And since we're broke anyways:

z220.png

z221.png

This may still take a while. Fortunately, we have our journal to offer us comfort during times like these, with all the memories of our great achievement.

z222.png

Quest complete :salute:
Just need to wrap up the side-quest and we should be done with this piece of work.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Bee said:
Why complain about Bee all the time, then?

Mostly because she's usually the first (and last) to die when I choose the auto combat option, which forces me to do battle by hand and who has the time + nerves nowadays for turn based combat I ask you. Maybe I should just give her her helmet back for better protection.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
*Cough* *cough* Gosh that dust!

Never thought I would come back to this but seeing that my Dosbox capture folder is still filled with screenshots of adventures and hardship (especially the later), it would be a damn shame to jut put them in the trash bin. Double shame, actually, seeing as they also tell from our heroes greatest challenge thus far. So I'll put in this one last ueber-long update before I leave this LP again in its slumber.

As you certainly remember, last update we successfully uncovered that the mystical axe Star Trail was nothing but a red herring to distract us from our main objective. What this objective may be, however, is yet unknown, as the game is way too old-school as to give you a hint what the heck you're supposed to be doing.

What are you staring at?

Anyway, since we're freshly out of pointers, we settle with our self-imposed duty to explore all the northern routes into the mountains. The locals are obviously thrilled.

z1.png

z2.png

z3.png

z4.png

z5.png

z6.png

z7.png

Following a nearby river towards the mountain, we reach the only village in this area.

z8.png

No safe haven for us then. We'll have to rely on toastboy's hunting skills to keep us from starving in this harsh environment.

z95.png

Travelling is even slower around here and the game doesn't fail to throw events at us at every inconvenient situation. Some of them are pretty neutral in their outcome. Most of them though are quiet unpleasant.

z9.png

z10.png

z11.png

z11-1.png

(Thankfully, this fake instant death moment only translate into a negligible loss of HP. If they would have included crippling damage to all the disease stuff, I probably would have had to scream)

z12.png

z13.png

The archers are quiet easy to handle in the ensuing battle. The elite orc warrior and his attack dogs which suddenly spawn in mid-fight, not so much :?

z14.png

We encounter quiet a lot of orc patrols in this area. They are gnawing at the parties health and at my sanity quiet significantly.

z15.png

z16.png

z17.png

It is about that time when we cross paths with the 10th or 11th orc patrol in a row, almost driving me over the edge if not for Golgepapaz voice of reason.

z185.png

Having explored the mountains, finding nothing even remotely of interest (if you ignore the tons and tons of rusty orc sabres we left in our wake + some ducats), our next destination will be a town called Tjolmar. It is the only other bigger town in closer reach and still a few days of travel away. Maybe this friendly fellow can give us some advise how to get there.

z19.png

z20.png

z21.png

z22.png

z23.png

z24.png

z25.png

Oh game, why do you hate me so? :cry:

z26.png

Not much to do here than going around and asking people mundane questions.

z27.png

z28.png

z29.png

z30.png

z31.png

z32.png

z33.png

z34.png

z35.png

z36.png

z37.png

z38.png

Rumours Corner
z39.png

And that is all from the helpful people of Tjolmar.

One of the few things of note in this town is another house which is apparently locked by quest convenience. There are definitely too much of those around. :|

z41.png

z42.png

z43.png

z44.png

There is also a warehouse where you can store your junk for a small fee. Seemed unnecessary at the time but in hindsight, I really should have made use of that service.

z45.png

Anyhow, onwards to the next two towns and some more of more or less useful NPC banter!

z46.png

z47.png

z48.png

z49.png

z50.png

z51.png

z52.png

z53.png

z54.png

z55.png

z56.png

z57.png

z58.png

z59.png

z60.png

Having explored all the northern routes by now, there is only the orc lands left to explore to the west. Since the party easily butchered their way through those orc patrols earlier, I'm not too worried.

z61.png

z62.png

I wonder if it is actually even possible to shot the deer. Almost all the events which include hunting animals seems to be geared towards failure for some reasons.

z63.png

z64.png

z65.png

z665.png

z66.png

z67.png

z68.png

z69.png

z217.png

Seriously, is there ever anything positive going to happen in these events? :rpgcodex:

Can't pretend that there weren't any warning signs this time around though. Ignoring the obvious death trap, we press on further to the west into orc country.

z70.png

z71.png

Phew, finally some luck for once.

z72.png

z73.png

z74.png

We chose a hero's death. Or do we?

z75.png

z76.png

z77.png

z78.png

z79.png

z80.png

z81.png

Things indeed look grim for the heroes. The orcs have stripped them of pretty much everything, save some pants, footwear and Murrow's staff. Only the women get free shirts too. A surprisingly civic gesture from them orcs.

Here is the thing though: what is supposed to be happening is that you manage to escape, find your equipment, which is scattered among some chests and finally escape. However, turns out said chests are bugged or their coding was never finished, meaning that they will always be empty when you find them. So in short, you loose all your stuff for good.

This would usually be the point where I reload and forget all about it but, seeing how easily our heroes auto-fought their way through the game for the most part thus far, I actually am curious if they're up for this challenge. Continuing on it is then.

z82.png

z83.png

z85.png

z86.png

z87.png

z88.png

z895.jpg

Start!

z89.png

As already mentioned, the murdered guard didn't leave us much to fight with. The axe goes to Holga (naturally) and the dagger actually turns out to be a pointed weapon so that one goes to Bee. Therefore we got at least two characters that can parry now. This is not a trivial factor, seeing as we lack the armour to absorb incoming damage.

We exit to a long hallway which leads to other neighbouring prison cells, a kitchen, a storage area with some more orcs to fight, and a locked door. There are also orc patrols which we come across from time to time. It doesn't take long for everyone to realize that the lack of equipment has ramped up the difficulty somewhat (again especially because of the lack of protection). While dominations spells like Horriphobus can even things out most of the time, our spellcasters will run out of MP eventually. If we want a fighting chance, we'll need weapons. The kitchen seems like our best bet to find some.

z90.png

z91.png

z92.png

z93.png

It's still better than nothing at this point.

z94.png

z95-1.png

z96.png

z97.png

Thus armed with some kitchen knifes and courage, we dare to explore those prison cells.

z98.png

z99.png

There is some graffiti on the walls here. Some snippets:

z100.png

z101.png

Next cell we find out that we're actually not the only prisoners in this place.

z102.png

z103.png

z104.png

Praiodan is a level 12 fighter and a real powerhouse, judging from his character sheet (with even some zeroes in his negative attribute table!). But the fact that he comes from Tiefhusen makes me suspicious though, so I let Murrow take a look inside his head via magic. Seeing what he finds in there, I'm starting to think Praiodan might be after more than just our purse.

z105.png

z106.png

This leaves the party with only one reasonable option.

z107.png

z108.png

z109.png

z110.png

His portrait gets through several transformations in quick succession. I managed to get some snapshots:

z111.png
z112.png
z113.png
z114.png
z115.png
z116.png
z117.png

He leaves Bee with about 2 HP left. Korenzel manages to get some of them back but the damage is done. Moving on to the next cell, we encounter our very first trap in this dungeon.

z118.png

Those never ever triggered for me, thankfully. Continue, please.

z119.png

z120.png

As we are up against orcs, who quiet obviously despise magic, this item won't help us much here. Still, beggars can't be chooser and all that.

There is now that one locked door which seems to lead further into the compound. Since she lacks any appropriate tools to unlock it, Holga tries the direct approach.

z121.png

z122.png

This ain't getting us anywhere. Magic doesn't seem to work either. Hopefully, some of the other cells will provide an escape route.

z123.png

z124.png

Thurazz is not as impressive stat wise as Praiodan was, but he should still make an ok meat shield for our more vulnerable heroes. He is also the only character who can equip all those pieces of orc armour which you can find around here.

z125.png

That's it for the prison cells. Only the storage area is left. The orcs there don't drop any key either. Our only hope now is that chest they were guarding.

z126.png

z127.png

z128.png

This is where our little adventure almost would have ended if I hadn't discovered that one little bug: you can actually teleport through doors in this dungeon. And whaddaya know, first orcs we run into after making use of that dirty trick:

z129.png

Some great level design right there :?

Still, no time to complain when there is more exploring to do.

z133.png

Ok, so maybe we don't really have to explore everything but...

z134.png

z130.png

z131.png

z132.png

z135.png

z136.png

z137.png

z138.png

Looks like we'll need something to increase our reach. As a dwarf, Holga takes offence in such obvious attempts to belittle small people.

z139.png

We are still able dig up a new helmet for Golgepapaz.

z141.png

Feeling safer already.

z142.png

There are several of these hiding spots scattered around this level. Good places to rest up and restore MP, if you got the food to spare. We'll make use of them quiet frequently.

z143.png

z144.png

Exploring has been pretty safe so far but trouble is waiting in the north.

z145.png

The door leads to some kind of arena with several more orcs waiting for a beating. Nothing to worry about as it turns out, thanks to some good damage rolls from Holga and Bee.

z146.png

z147.png

z148.png

There are some doors here too.

z149.png

z150.png

z151.png

z152.png

z153.png

z154.png

Orcs. Don't. Use. Magic :x
(Still pretty neat for later though)

After killing some more orcs, we also find the key for that one chest we couldn't open earlier

z155.png

It contains various flasks of poisons, healing potions (desperately needed) and three bottles of black goo which purpose is unknown. With those items collected, we can finally head down.

z156.png

I mean we can finally head up.

z157.png

z158.png

Not careful enough it seems.

z159.png

Ogres now deal a ridiculous amount of damage. Thankfully, we still got quiet a lot of MP left so we can makes those dance in our amusement instead.

z160.png

There is another door in sight.

z161.png

z162.png

I got a suspicion.

z163.png

z164.png

z165.png

The risk is well worth the reward.

z167.png

z168.png

z169.png

Moving on.

z170.png

z171.png

z172.png

z173.png

z174.png

Poor Holga took quiet a beating from that. There is hope the next few rooms won't be as hazardous.

z175.png

z176.png

z177.png

We are closing in on a large hallway. There is some text box popping up while we approach but I accidentally click it away. Couldn't have been too important, I guess.

z178.png

Whoopsie...

z217.png

Well then, time for plan B.

z179.png

There is enough junk in our inventory now that we should be able to find out what was hidden behind those shelves.

z180.png

z181.png

Truer words have never been spoken.

z182.png

Let's ignore the creepy spider webs for now and see what else this cave has to offer.

z183.png

z184.png

z185-1.png

The tough bug creatures we already encountered in RoA 1 make their triumphant return. Thankfully, this time around we get more space to manoeuvre and there are only a few of them, so it's all cool.

z186.png

z187.png

z188.png

Looks like we can approach the upper level from here as well. We'll try that later when we're done here.

z189.png

z190.png

Now there is nothing left but to enter the spider layer.

z191.png

There are a couple of those webs around. Cutting them down sometimes triggers fights with spiders, which are fairly dangerous yet beatable. A more dreadful opponent is the cave itself.

z192.png

The phrase 'Rock falls, everybody dies' comes to mind, considering the fuckton of damage these rocks deal to the party. Yet we boldly soldier on.

z193.png

z194.png

z195.png

Of course, nothing in this game comes for free.

z196.png

We somehow survive this. Don't ask me how. Let's take a look at that sword.

z197.png

Translation: Walking speed and sneaking is reduced by 1. Mean, but we still don't really have the option to be picky about the equipment.

z198.png

z199.png

z200.png

A'right, boss battle time!

z201.png

...Or you can do just that, of course.

z217.png

No way from here but up then.

z202.png

z203.png

z204.png

z205.png

We still can't get passed those horde of orcs in the large hallway but I at least get the chance to show the text-box I've skipped earlier.

z271.png

z272.png

Looks like we won't escape this way either. The party decides to rest and ponder how to proceed when

z206.png

z207.png

z208.png

Korenzel can't do anything for the orc without herbs and the poor sod is starting to die on us pretty rapidly. The only thing that could save him now is to find an exit and hope that all his ills will be cured thanks to the magic of quest completion. A dire race against time begins.

z209.png

I know, right?

Anyway, there is no way we are going to cut down all these orcs on the upper floor and the way down is still blocked by an unyielding door. I once again make unfair use of the teleportation spell here in hopes that it might save our companion's life. There's gotta be an exit around here somewhere.

z210.png

Still no escape route in sight, might as well take a look around.

z211.png

z212.png

z213.png

z214.png

z215.png

z216.png

There are secrets to be found as well.

z217.png

z218.png

z219.png

Good thing those only trigger when going the opposite direction.

z220.png

Jackpot! This armoury has pretty much everything. Even a bow and arrows for toastboy so he can again get his moments to shine. All that stuff might be of rather dubious quality but it is still a huge step up from walking around basically naked.

z221.png

z222.png

z223.png

z224.png

[Insert lame animal armour DLC joke here]

z225.png

z226.png

We fight those dogs with honour. Well, except for Korenzel who is too busy getting mauled. Rondra should be pleased.

There are more barrels standing around to arouse the palate.

z227.png

z228.png

z229.png

These are actually more of a concern if you are trying to get in, not out. Speaking of which:

z230.png

z231.png

:yeah:

Thurazz leaves us without much of a hassle. Only an unremarkable sentence in our journal tells from his departure. Hopefully, the orc will be able to survive but we've fulfilled our sworn duty to not let any NPC in our care die while we're looking. The heroes on the other hand won't get off the hook that easily.

z232.png

Back into the fray!

z233.png

z234.png

More barrels!

z235.png

Ok, fine then.

z236.png

z237.png

z238.png

z239.png

z240.png

z241.png

z242.png

Still nothing dangerous, thankfully. I wonder if you have to trigger an alarm to activate them or somesuch. There is another cave section nearby with even more rocks falling down on our collective heads and a grim discovery.

z243.png

z244.png

z245.png

z246.png

z247.png

And there is another helmet lying around for our protection.

z248.png

Leaving the cave, we find what appears to be the main smithery with another heathen altar.

z249.png

z250.png

z251.png

z252.png

z253.png

z254.png

Living Quarters:

z255.png

And of course:

z256.png

z257.png

Examining the holes suddenly triggers a fight with a single orc. He doesn't stand the chance.

z258.png

z259.png

You heard it here first folks: the Hitman series originated from RPGs, true story.
Close to the living quarters is another kitchen with all sorts of exotic food and spice but also of course: beer!

z260.png

Fun fact: Holga is going to fight drunk for the rest of this escapade (and quiet well too, if I might add).

z261.png

z262.png

Nothing of interest to be done here.

z263.png

z264.png

z265.png

z266.png

z267.png

Oh har, har.

With this we're finished with the lower level and only one last place to explore. Hopefully, our new gear will make a difference this time around.

z268.png

z269.png

What ensues is a battle worth of legends, where our heroes pull no punches. Sadly, Korenzel is soon to fall as he gets swarmed by incoming orc thugs (+ one elite fighter) and no chance to escape, leaving us with only two spellcasters. Murrow is already almost sucked dry of MP from the start, yet he actually holds his ground fairly well even without much magical assistance. Many action packed rounds later, almost everybody's weapon is broken and we've suffered quiet a few crippling hits but most of the orcs have fled the battlefield in face of our enduring tenaciousness. This fight seems almost over when, alas, Bee, in a valiant attempt to protect Murrow, accidentally kills herself with a self inflicted critical.

z270.png

The sacrifices of the fallen shall not be forgotten :salute:
Having finally dealt with the horde, we now have full access to the rest of the level although searching through it I'm starting to wonder if it was worth it.

z273.png

z274.png

z275.png

Traps are still not much of a problem. The battle ogres we find in the next room (which pretty much wipe out the diminishing rest of our party except for ever enduring Holga and Golgepapaz) though are pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me.

Before doing the inevitable reboot though, I succumb to my curiosity and look up what it takes to deal with the instant death spider queen from earlier. Turns out, all I would have had to do would have been to actually take a closer look at the stuff we're collecting everywhere.

z276.png

z277.png

Let's go for another round.

z278.png

z279.png

You instant-kill me, I instant-kill you. It's only fair. Although the characters will also lose a big chunk of HP in the process too.

z280.png

I kinda remember that that's the key for the lower level so no more teleporting required. We take the exit in the upper floor this time around though.

z281.png

z282.png

Or at least some of us, thank you very much. What has the journal to say about our endeavour?

z283.png

z284.png

That's pretty much it, next to that one sentence which comments Thurazz leaving the party. I'm starting to suspect that not much effort was put into the journal at all. :|

All in all, I had quiet a blast fighting through an orc fortress with our ill equipped party. Combat was a lot more tense and the constant fear of catching a disease without the necessary herbs to cure them was something to keep me on the edge throughout the whole thing (and also a good reason to use the cure wounds skill more than usual). Good times, good times *reboot*

So anyways, returning to the fortress with all our stuff, auto-battling our way from top to bottom, while not trying to die of boredom. We actually find another hidden passage this time around since toastboy is no longer distracted from being dead.

z285.png

z286.png

z287.png

z288.png

Time for Holga to buckle up with that belt of extra strength.

z289.png

z290.png

z291.png

z292.png

z293.png

z294.png

z295.png

Another fun fact: even in death dwarves really, really hate elves.

z296.png

With that done we're finally finished with the fortress. Back to the world map it is.

z297.png

z298.png

z299.png

z300.png

z301.png

z302.png

z303.png

z304.png

z305.png

Curious that someone would be looking for us. We continue on southwards over another mountain and where the orc fortress is also located.

z306.png

z307.png

z308.png

z309.png

z310.png

One more stranger joins our camp fire.

z311.png

z312.png

z313.png

z314.png

z315.png

z316.png

z317.png

z318.png

z319.png

We've pretty much covered all the routes to the west and south-west by now. Heading back inland, ready to face anything this country has yet to throw at us.

z320.png

z321.png

z322.png

z323.png

z324.png

Both options seem to end in the same outcome.

z325.png

z326.png

Still not counting as a positive event, if you ask me. :rpgcodex:

I'm curious about that inviting big red dot that we're approaching though.

z327.png

z328.png

No way I'm going through this again so soon.

z329.png

z330.png

The river leads us to a small town further north.

z331.png

z332.png

z333.png

z334.png

z335.png

z336.png

z337.png

z338.png

z339.png

z340.png

z341.png

We again try to approach the big red dot on the map, now identified as the city Lowangen.

z342.png

z343.png

z344.png

z345.png

Sure seems like a nice fellow, although Murrow gets a different picture.

z346.png

If this games wants me to walk big circles around any join-able NPCs I come across then I say mission accomplished :?

z347.png

Almost reached Lowangen by now. i just hope this alternative path will get us around the orcs as Antharon implied.

z348.png

Oh, you mother... :x

z349.png

z350.png

z351.png

z352.png

z353.png

z354.png

z355.png

z356.png

So here we are again, stripped from most of our equipment (although at least we get to keep the magic stuff this time around) and apparently no chance of escaping. Then again, at least we can now rightfully claim that we've been through worse.

That's it from me. Happy new year everybody!

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Nah, just cleaning up my hard drive.

I still got all the old savegames safely stored away though and that MIDI soundtrack is really awfully catchy, I dunno :?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Oh my god, itz alive!

Long time no see, Pussycat669. :)

Do continue, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom