Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's command Codexers in Syrian Warfare and crush Daesh

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's all this then, who summons me

Oh cool, another game I know nothing about and won't understand. Sign me up as one of the guys who does the shooty bangs :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: (No, actually I demand a T-34)
Looks like you are perfect for the Syrian army.

This war T-34 is a pickup with a recoiless rifle ! Or a grenade launcher
I'll take whichever you prefer and save the day with shitty equipment once again, inshallah.
There actually was a T-34 used in this war IIRC
Possible indeed that they use a few out of a museum / storage, but the game haven’t them :)
:argh:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
OK, it is full.

I could not find a slot for one of you and I picked Sukhāvatī. I love the "friendly" but you were not very active in Firefight and we already have one mortar.

Let's hope the other side does not have high-end tanks we don't have ATGM squads after all :).

First update about who has what and the situation later tonight.

We are likely to receive reinforcement in the battle, if you want to put your name in reserve.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Is there a way for my team to get a vehicle of some kind?
I mean, unless it's a defensive/ambush mission I'd rather be as mobile as possible
There will be two BRDM and a few Toyota pick-up to transport (plus a supply truck) but in the 2015 battlefield being on foot is so much safer...

Endemic

Arcane
Spoiler, half of those "losses" are just vehicles that were abandoned in mid-combat and then looted by the orks :lol:

On a side note, the US military did a much better job of recovering disabled Abrams tanks, which is why you don't see hundreds of them on lists like that. Prior to the introduction of TUSK and changes in tactics, they were arguably just as vulnerable to ambushes as any Syrian T-72. At the side, only the turret bustle (ammo stowage) has enough protection against RPG-7s, the turret's crew compartment is only protected at 45 degrees and the hull sides are paper in comparison. The newer RPG-29 and Kornet will punch through anything that isn't the turret front. Of course, in the 1970s/80s nobody envisaged them taking part in urban warfare, so only frontal protection (as per experience in conventional wars) was considered relevant.

https://web.archive.org/web/2014100...ntent/article/2006/12/04/AR2006120401347.html

"Equipment shipped back from Iraq is stacking up at all the Army depots: More than 530 M1 tanks, 220 M88 wreckers and 160 M113 armored personnel carriers are sitting at Anniston. The Red River Army Depot in Texas has 700 Bradley Fighting Vehicles and 450 heavy and medium-weight trucks, while more than 1,000 Humvees are awaiting repair at the Letterkenny Army Depot in Pennsylvania."

The Syrian Army on the other hand, did not hold the ground the tanks were left on, and doesn't have the kind of support services to bring them swiftly back to action either.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
A. Mission

So here is your mission guys :

hy9LE2V.png

Save the airport.

And here is our braveteam.

The first half of the force is SAA troops.
It is lead by Andnjord's and Catacombs' assault squads :

3KDGohv.png

The assault squads are 4 guys with assault rifles and one guy with a thermobaric RPO Shmel. The squad also has an automatic grenade launcher.

What is a RPO you ask ? Well, imagine there is a building full of hostiles.

1. Find the guy with RPO
2. Point at building
3. Shoot
4. Occupy building

There are only 3 rounds for the RPO (I assume one guy has the launcher, 3 guys have one ammo each and the last guy has the AGL).

The assault squad is accompanied by
- Sergiu's two persons sniper team :

frGYyfm.png

One guy with an heavy sniper rifle and a side arm, one guy with an assault rifle

- Baud's two persons Duchka team :

1i7SzKG.png

It needs a bit of time to be put in place but after it stops pretty much anything except a tank.

- Taxalot 3-men Engineer team :

19KQ6Is.png

It is equiped with assault rifle and can remove... or add mines.

- Ar Ruksour 3-men mortar team :

MYPUStl.png

The mortar team is currently riding the supply truck, which also has ammo for everyone :
QEgs1m1.png

These people are professionals, so they all bring with them a combination of frag. grenades and smoke grenades.

In addition, SAA Command manage to scramble up a few armored support :

- Endemic's BMP-1 :

7dsmQGE.png

- Strange Fellow's T55A :

mx4olTv.png

- Dayallu's T62 :

Ql9Z6Cs.png

None of those vehicles have any reactive armor, so if anyone shoot an ATGM at them they are pretty much dead.

The SAA force is accompanied by some Syrian National Defense Force (SDF), Egosphere and Kelly's squads :

YUMnn6q.png

While they certainly lack training, they bring some firepower with 4 RPG between the 2x3=6 of them. They also bring some mobility as they are embarked in technicals :

- Egosphere's squad is using a Toyota with a machine-gun

cxWDTmV.png

- Kelly is using one with a recoiless rifle :

KZ1CsSB.png

The group is deployed around 2 kilometers from the base perimeter. In front of them, a few houses are spread out.

DvsC1X6.png

The final attack against the airbase has started, and the group must move now !

Two directions are possible.

1. The most direct route is straight ahead, after the buildings you can see you see a large, towering but isolated building that may be particularly difficult to pass if the enemy hid heavy weapons in ATGM inside. On the other hand, should you seize it, you will cut the Daesh frontline in two.

5rvlcxa.png

2. The side road through the right goes through fields and is apparently less defended, though there will be a small village to securize :

7fgMx0M.png

You must now decide what you will do, but move fast, the airbase lives on borrowed time !

ValeVelKal

Arcane
darkpatriot vazha Sukhāvatī : So I checked and there is indeed a second wave, so you will be able to join up. it even includes a radio/aircontroller that can direct airstrike, if one of you is interested. It also has some really cool other equipment.

darkpatriot : Militia even max experience will be barely worth zero-experience assault infantry in this game.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Small notes about the game :

- You cannot split your squad. Apart from that, you can do a lot of things : get into buildings (people then go into the roof), take vehicles (armors can only be driven by tank drivers, so Endemic/Dayyalu/Strange Fellow), crawl from position A to position B sneaky sneaky, interdict weapon, force weapon usage on a target, etc etc.

There is not really morale, but people die very quickly and obviously they don't come back. On the other hand, wounds heal fully if you are left out of combat for long enough (that's pretty long). There is Ar Ruksour's supply truck if needed, it can resupply small arms as well as tank shells ^^. The other vehicles (except the tanks) also have a small storage for small arms ammunition but it won't last long if you rely on it for several squads engaged in intense combat.

All vehicle modules can be repaired provided they are not totally destroyed and provided they did not run out of "spare parts" (which is vehicle-specific, you can't repair the T62 with the T55 spare parts). On the other hand, the armor of said vehicles cannot be repaired, so if your T-55 has received a lot of shells, it is unlikely to protect you very much anymore. Let’s be honest thougj, for any vehicle without ERA it won’t be a problem.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
An old soviet tank (...) The accuracy of its 100mm cannon and the armor's durability are abysmal by modern standards
dVDJiez.gif

Regarding my orders, what's that word I'm looking for? Oh right:
I dunno. Charge!, I suppose?
As for my orders, what else but
More Dakka!
Strange Fellow acts as an offensive decoy
Well then, once more unto the breach, dear przyjaciele. Be there a place for me and my antiquities in Potato heaven Jannah. In other words: charge! :outrage::outrage:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Let’s be honest tho, for any vehicle without ERA it won’t be a problem.

*sob*

nE4MM6g.jpg
Men, saddle up. We're going in!

*assorted sounds from crew*

nE4MM6g.jpg
No, I don't have any idea of what "порожний" means. Command is ordering us to advance, but I have no intention of....

*more sounds from crew*

nE4MM6g.jpg
Yes, I understand, but we got...

*angrier sounds from crew*

nE4MM6g.jpg
Good, got it. We go for direction 1, wait for the idiots on the T55s to get blown up, cover 'em with HE ready and then after the infantry has been used as a bait discovered enemy positions we advance and suppress. Good. Democracy in action. It's good to remember what we're fighting for.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The SAA force is accompanied by some Syrian National Defense Force (SDF), Egosphere and Kelly's squads :

AKSHUALLY, that's NDF. SDF are, may Allah forgive me for uttering this word, Kurdish federalist traitors, dirty rebels in all but name and betrayers of the homeland.

Egosphere's squad is using a Toyota with a machine-gun

Hell yeah now we're talking. Can't have a propa conflict without an armed toyota.

fqpthrg3s5v11.jpg

You must now decide what you will do, but move fast, the airbase lives on borrowed time !

I will bravely support any and all brave advance from behind with my mortar! That "large, towering but isolated building" (tm) up ahead looks very juicy for some mortaring. First we mortar what's around it, then we mortar what's inside, then we move inside and mortar other stuff farther ahead.

Also, does this game have melee fighting? Since the infantry has a CQC stat and a punch command icon.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
AKSHUALLY, that's NDF. SDF are, may Allah forgive me for uttering this word, Kurdish federalist traitors, dirty rebels in all but name and betrayers of the homeland.
Oh my Allah ! DON’T SHOOT ME !
In my defense I wrote that super late and Dayyālu missed it as well !!

Hell yeah now we're talking. Can't have a propa conflict without an armed toyota.

fqpthrg3s5v11.jpg
Everyone of them except 105mm howitzer, anti-air missile, rocket canon and the Premium classes are in the game. It even has extra like the Grenade Launcher mount. Most have the armored and even extra armored variant, at which point the vehicle is barely moving.

Also, does this game have melee fighting? Since the infantry has a CQC stat and a punch command icon.
Both are used for building assault. The melee icon means “I want you to get into that building rather than simply shooting at people inside”. CQC is how likely your guys are to win combat inside a building (since you don’t control specifically your guys in the building as long as it is not cleared - at which point you tell them which side they are facing.
Of course, our team has the RPO solution to any enemy occupied building.

Except for RPO, buildings offer very important protection from small arms fire. You usually don’t have to care about “wounds” when you are running in the open, if you get my drift...

ValeVelKal

Arcane
darkpatriot : Militia even max experience will be barely worth zero-experience assault infantry in this game.

No chance for the RPG experience to go from a simple group of farmers to the heros of the Syrian Armed forces then.

:negative:

In that case whatever particular infantry quality you need/can afford at the time is fine.
Two problems here :

Equipment. While you can find field equipment and upgrade your RPG-7 with better stuff, your RPG squad will never have the lifesaving smoke grenades or the even more lifesaving body armor of elite squad.

It is only one scenario, not a campaign here. I am not sure much people will survive to the end of the battle so...

To be honest, your start the first Syrian Warfare campaign with policemen which are basically worth militia. The normal police squads quickly plateau, but the police sniper can become angels of death very comparable to military snipers, especially since police/militia snipers is two guys with SVD Dragunov whereas military sniper is one guy with OSV-16 and one guy with (non-sniper) AK74M (I think).

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Right.
al-Helli will be following the tanks and look for a target of opportunity for its recoilless rifle while staying in the shadow of the steel giants.
Once mortars have stopped spamming we will follow the closest assault team and inchallah get in the eastern side building next to the big one.

Plan B: if for some reason heavy armoured vehicles are stationned next to the big building, we will wait for it to engage our tanks then get close to it using the smaller buildings as cover then we dismount and blow it to smithereens.
Also, who is Kelly? :M

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Who hath summoned me!
Oh...
The AW thread proved my incompetence, so I'll just contribute with an appropriate soundtrack:

Incompetence has never been a showstopper for promotion in the Syrian army. You are conscripted for wave 2.

If the lyrics are correct, the Syrian Army problem against Daesh are all explained: Daesh did not attack the Golan heights.

Andnjord

Arcane
I'll leave the details to you O Supreme Leader, but essentially 1: move behind the creeping barrage laid by Ar Ruksour towards the big isolated building, and hopefully prod our glorious tank Strange Fallouwd to go in front of us.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I'll leave the details to you O Supreme Leader, but essentially 1: move behind the creeping barrage laid by Ar Ruksour towards the big isolated building, and hopefully prod our glorious tank Strange Fallouwd to go in front of us.
This is going to be like Firefight, not like Field of Glory. I am not taking strategic initiative, only minor tactical decision to save your life :)

Egosphere

Arcane
I guess I'll stay close to Endemic until he reaches that building, then disembark and put the squad on the roof

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom