Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [Let's Command] Rangers vs. Panzergrenadiers in Combat Mission: Fortress Italy

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Figured I would start off my 'dex posting career by doing something beyond shitposting about shit games in General Gaming, so welcome to my first "LP". Unlike a normal LP, though, you'll be the ones commanding the troops, not me. Fully inspired by ValeVelKal's thread on Syrian Warfare.

(I've done similar things on imageboards before, but this is the first time I've done this on an actual forum. If anything needs to be better clarified or changed, please let me know)

The game YOU will be playing is Combat Mission: Fortress Italy. Combat Mission is a realistic 3D tactics simulator portraying military forces from a variety of time periods, robust enough in realism that its modern setting installments, like Shock Force and Black Sea, are used as training tools in several militaries around the world. All you need to know about it is that it allows you to issue commands to individual squads, emplacements, and vehicles via waypoints, and will only involve ground forces. While there is (abstracted) air power, we won't have any of that in this scenario.

Also important to know is that Combat Mission operates on a WEGO turn-based system. Basically, you and your opponent (in this case, the AI) input your commands, and then end your turn. Once the turn phase ends, 60 seconds of game time passes wherein those commands are executed, and you are not able to execute any commands until those 60 seconds are over. Obviously, this makes scouting and thinking ahead very important. If you order a squad to move to a position across an open field and a hidden machinegun nest appears in that exact spot, you can't change that order until the turn ends (although, units have their own "TacAI" which might kick in and make them take cover, run away, morale and suppression are also simulated by this TacAI).

We'll be playing on Elite, which changes the spotting mechanics. Unlike most RTTs, units in CM's higher difficulties won't know a unit they can't see is there, even if another unit can. For the most part, this doesn't really matter as the omniscient commander, although it can help units spot hard-to-see enemies. Where this does matter is in coordination. For instance, an infantry commander cannot coordinate fire with an on-map mortar team unless he's in shouting distance, or if he is in radio contact with a unit near the mortar team that can relay his commands and adjustments.

For the format of this LC, 'dexers will reserve command of certain portions of the force we're commanding, first come first serve. If there are any reinforcements (there are in this scenario), those slots will open up as they appear. Those who take command of very small elements will have the chance to take command of portions of the reinforcements as well. Then, you can either give me vague orders ("Run that squad to that building!", "Set up the machinegun on the hill so it can see that squad!", etc.) or, alternatively, you can draw out the waypoints yourself on the map (which I can screenshot if need be).

This will probably be a total disaster.

SCENARIO:

August 10th, 1943, Northern Sicily
A Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion, US Army
Scenario size: Small
Scenario length: 40 minutes a.k.a. 40 turns

You are part of a company of Rangers making their way through fascist Italy. A small contingent of Germans are holed up in the town of Vallebruca and its neighboring church, and it's your job to clear them out and capture the both. To do this, you have a platoon of infantry (HQ unit and 2x infantry squads of seven men), two machinegun teams with M1919A4s, a 60mm mortar team, an off-map 81mm mortar team that can be called in by certain officers, and one M5 light tank. You will be reinforced by more infantry, artillery, and armor within 15 minutes (15 turns).

The briefing:
WrWTaFc.jpg

yVblhJi.png

And the accompanying tactical map:
Fl03sGs.jpg

Finally, here's a view of the actual map, from our deployment zone:
bK5eDPK.png

Note that the dark blue area is the zones we can deploy our units in, including the copse of trees to the right.

FORCES:

As previously mentioned, you'll all be reserving a portion of the force to order around. To do so, simply make a post below stating which element of the ones listed you want to take. For now, it'll be first come, first serve, but those who take the small elements (like the mortar team and the machinegun teams) will have dibs on taking command of incoming reinforcements, if they wish to.

Unlike ValeVelKal's LC, almost all of these elements (vehicles excepted) will contain multiple commandable units within them. This minimizes bloat and lowers the amount of people required to play. Reinforcement command allocation may be more or less granular, depending on interest.

M5 Stuart: Status: Closed - taken by Endemic
1 unit

An upgraded version of the M3 Stuart, this one was roomier and quieter than its predecessor. However, it still has a puny 37mm gun, although this gun comes with a shitload of ammo, 88 high explosive, 44 armor piercing, and 13 canister shot, as well as >6k .30 cal for the coaxial and commander's machineguns. The Rangers uparmored the turret with some treads, but don't expect that to do much against any decent anti-tank gun. This is an HQ tank, and therefore has a radio.
csOCQPH.png

CdZjvOI.png

A Company, 2nd Platoon HQ: Status: Closed - taken by Dayyālu
1 unit

This element consists of a four man HQ unit with the only infantry radio at the beginning of the scenario, two Thompsons and one scoped Springfield. 360 rounds for the Thompsons, 170 rounds for the Garand and Springfield, 8 grenades. This HQ unit can currently call in one section of 81mm mortars from off-map, although this will take a good amount of turns and require visual on the target area to coordinate spotting rounds.
aGLfboG.png

ot77AsN.png

A Company, 2nd Platoon 1st Section: Status: Closed - taken by Kalarion
1 unit

This element consists of a seven man rifle squad. Two Thompsons, one rifle grenadier. ~600 rounds of .30, 360 rounds of .45, 3 rifle grenades, 12 normal grenades. No radio, but they have two satchel charges capable for AT or blowing up walls.

T8KemJi.png

izGcQka.png

A Company, 2nd Platoon 2nd Section: Status: Closed - taken by ValeVelKal
1 unit

This element is another rifle squad, this time with one of the pixeltruppen carrying an M1A1 bazooka. 4 rockets for the bazooka, 2 satchel charges, ~500 .30, 360 .45, 3 rifle grenades, and 12 normal grenades.

Cg4jOCK.png

GPegG8z.png

A Company Mortar Team: Status: Closed - taken by Helly
1 unit

A five man team with a 60mm mortar, armed with M1 Garands, M1 carbines, and pistols, as well as the tube itself. Not much ammo for their personal weapons, so best not get them in a firefight. The mortar must be set up before it can be fired, obviously. As you have no radio, it will be hard to have your fire directed by A company HQ until other units with radios show up. However, you can move around and direct fire (engage targets you can see).
Nye16Yl.jpg

5pf97v8.png

A Company, 2nd Platoon Machinegun Teams: Status: Closed - taken by Andnjord
2 units

Two teams of three men, both lugging around M1919A4 belt-fed medium machineguns. Unlike the German MG34s or MG42s, the M1919 cannot be used freehand, and must be set up on a tripod before being able to fire, so keep that in mind.
hEP5NDD.jpg

7Sdjn5C.png

REINFORCEMENTS
1st Platoon HQ: Status: Open
A four man team with a radio and a sniper. Able to call in off-map artillery and coordinate with other radio teams to direct on-map artillery.
hsnGWHr.png

TR6bJlP.png

1st Pl., 1st Section: Status: Closed - taken by baud
A ten man squad with a BAR gunner, a rifle grenadier, and two Thompsons.
IHgxTl2.png

0Ps0oTA.png

1st Pl., 2nd Section: Status: Open
A ten man with more-or-less the same loadout as the first section, with the exception of one M1 Bazooka with four missiles.
fRxBYyB.png

2fI1qDm.png

A Company HQ: Status: Open
A three man team with a radio. Able to call in off-map artillery and coordinate with other radio teams to direct on-map artillery.
smzfgih.png

X6B84Oi.png

A Company, 2nd Section Mortar: Status: Open
A five man team with a deployable 60mm mortar.
nieYA2J.png

ydPxvzh.png

Unit Reservation Priorities:
1. Any incoming new players
2. Dayyālu
3. Helly
4. Andnjord
5. Kalarion

ORDERS:
A more detailed overview of the map, the first orders, and so on, will all be detailed in a later post, when all or most of the slots have been filled. Slots may be merged or separated further depending on interest. Remember, first come, first serve. Good luck!

For incoming reinforcement players, please check page 4 for the latest end-of-turn map and issue your orders there.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I am very happy someone does this, I loved the one by Dayyalu and I "mastered" the two other "let's command" we did.

Well, I ll go with the second Platoon, though I would recommend it is split with 1 player by group of 7 men. In my signature, you can see a similar "WW2 game" where we did a "Let's Command" [for Firefight]

Summoning Strange Fellow Darth Roxor

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Reserved. I considered splitting the squads between players, but I'm unsure what to do with the HQ unit. Maybe just put it under my control?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Reserved. I considered splitting the squads between players, but I'm unsure what to do with the HQ unit. Maybe just put it under my control?
In my experience with 2 "let's command" there are always player willing to take the " boring" roles (eg : mortars) so they are part of the experience without any of the stress.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
In that case, let me get some work done, and then I'll come back and rewrite the OP so all the infantry squads are separate. Would you like the HQ squad, the rifle squad, or the anti-tank squad?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
In that case, let me get some work done, and then I'll come back and rewrite the OP so all the infantry squads are separate. Would you like the HQ squad, the rifle squad, or the anti-tank squad?
The AT squad, since it is actually riflemen AND a Bazooka.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hey gimme that mortar team. But do note that my men have a tendency to die in the first minutes of combat so don't mind me if I get blasted by a random aircraft or smth :M

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
likely
I'm such a 'dex noob I don't know how to mention people in a post.

you type @ and then start typing their name, auto-complete should appear and help you along.

and the last unit got taken while I wasn't looking. I'll be cheering from the sidelines (or until I can take control of some reinforcement).

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
likely
I'm such a 'dex noob I don't know how to mention people in a post.

you type @ and then start typing their name, auto-complete should appear and help you along.

and the last unit got taken while I wasn't looking. I'll be cheering from the sidelines (or until I can take control of some reinforcement).
There should be additional infantry units open for the taking soon once MiguelSerranoFan has finished editing the OP so you should be fine :)

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
and the last unit got taken while I wasn't looking. I'll be cheering from the sidelines.

I actually split the A Company, 2nd Platoon infantry into multiple pieces (I'll update the OP a bit later). The HQ and rifle squad are still open for the taking.

vazha

Arcane
Will be keeping an eye on this. Needs more chucklemakery though. Some Kamikaze team would be neat

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Updated the OP. Two slots still open.

Edit: For now, I've removed the disclaimer in the OP on the MG and mortar elements that they have first dibs on reinforcements, considering this thread has generated much more interest than I thought it would. It'll still be in effect if nobody shows up to take the reinforcement roles, however.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Aw fuck, do I need to take the HQ?

Well, let's take it! Staying back is a comfy job.

Robert-Capa.jpg

(Also, OP, in the extremely unlikely case I have the strength to sperg a little about the overall situation, can I? Useless trivia are fun.)

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
(Also, OP, in the extremely unlikely case I have the strength to sperg a little about the overall situation, can I? Useless trivia are fun.)
Sperg to your heart's content. You're in good company here.

Anyway, with all the slots taken, let's get started. Before we do, I wanted to give you a brief overview of the actual commands you can issue in CM, in the case that you want to give me very granular orders, and so that you understand what you can actually do in the engine.

COMMANDS:
Infantry Movement:
5cXutJZ.png

Most of these probably won't confuse you much. Fatigue is simulated, so you don't want to run your guys everywhere, lest they become exhausted. I would add that the quicker you move, the less effectively you spot the enemy, and this applies to infantry and armor alike. Move is a walking pace, Quick is a jog, Fast is a sprint in which, unlike Move and Quick, the pixeltruppen won't fire on enemies they see. Slow is a prone crawl, which unlike most games is very exhausting, as it is in real life. Hunt tells the infantry to slowly move to a waypoint, stopping everything when they see an enemy. Useful in forests, not so useful in an open field. Assault essentially automates a fire-and-maneuver. Blast shows up because the infantry squads have satchel charges, and can be used to blow up walls, standing and on buildings.

Infantry Targeting:
cRGykuM.png

Fairly self-explanatory. Targeting commands can be used on areas, buildings, or enemy units directly. Target Light uses a lower rate of fire and doesn't use heavy weapons, like the bazookas or the tank's main cannon. Arcs do what you'd expect, only targeting enemies in a certain arc of fire. Face faces your units, duh. Target Briefly can be used to fire at a target for a certain time, increasable by fifteen second intervals, up to a minute or so. Great for covering another unit's advance. Target Smoke is only available for armor or mortars that have smoke rounds.

Infantry Special:
Ust5XfZ.png

Again, fairly self-explanatory. Pause is useful for the aforementioned case where another unit is covering that unit's advance. You don't want to run into a building that's being bombarded by a friendly tank, after all. Can be ordered in various time intervals, just like Target Briefly. Hide, I have never used, and I am not sure what it does. Dismount is only used in vehicles, obviously. Pop Smoke, also obvious, although it's worth noting that the direction the units throw the smoke seems to be random, and that most squads only can do this once. Acquire is used to get ammunition from mounted vehicles.

Infantry Admin:
v4bnwW8.png

Here's the real bread and butter of infantry micro. Instead of using Assault, I'll typically split up the squad via these commands and micromanage the fire-and-maneuver myself. The OP should be updated shortly after I make this post with images of the actual layouts of the squads, which'll make these commands make more sense. Keep in mind that these only apply to the big squads -- the smaller units like the HQ won't be able to split up at all. Split Teams splits the squads into its sub-teams, which is indicated by the soldiers in different columns in the squad layout window. Assault Team will split off a team with automatic weapons and grenades, if available, useful for assaulting buildings to trenches. Antitank Team splits off an antitank team, imagine that! They'll either have the squad's AT weapon among them, or lots of AT grenades. Scout Team splits off the two least liked men in the squad, usually just riflemen, useful for probing enemy positions while not endangering your entire squad. Combine Squad will combine the columns of soldiers, so that when the Split Teams command is issued, each team is bigger.

Armor Movement:
Es8ggr7.png

Armor movement commands more or less operate exactly as infantry movement commands do. The exception is that armored vehicles have Reverse and Hull Down commands. Reverse is self-explanatory. Hull Down is a state specific to armed vehicles, where the hull of the vehicle is obscure by terrain and only the firing apparatus, in this case the M5's turret, is exposed to the enemy. Wherever you put this waypoint, that unit will try to get hull down to that position. A consideration is that moving through rough or muddy terrain is liable to get most vehicles bogged down or outright immobilized for the rest of the mission.

Armor Special:
qmV9QtK.png

Most of the commands here will also operate exactly like the infantry. The only exceptions are Bail Out and Open Up. Bail Out bails your crew out of the vehicle. Open Up will make your crew unbutton their hatches and stick their heads out, useful for improved spotting but exposes them to small arms fire.

Armor targeting and admin commands are not present because targeting commands are exactly the same as the infantry, and there are no available admin commands for armored vehicles.

ORDERS & CONSIDERATIONS:
With all that said and done, we can finally move on to the actual play of the game. Below, I've attached a few images of the map and deployment zones, as well as considerations tailored to those of you who have special roles.

Map Images:
Overhead View:
nzOVkk3.png

Northern Deployment Zone:
ReMGQsf.png

Southern Deployment Zone:
IolB4oz.png

Considerations:
A general consideration for all of you: in the deployment phase, we have no spots on the enemy. We have no idea where the enemy is. Therefore, allow scouting elements to figure out where they are, and I'd advise against making any long-distance or rash movements right off the bat.

Dayyālu
As the HQ squad, you have the ability to coordinate fire of artillery, on-map or off-map. Usually, this would require line of sight to the target, so you could relay the position of spotting rounds, and could take upwards of ten minutes. However, since this is the deployment phase, you can do an initial volley from the 81mm without having to see the target or coordinate spotting rounds, which should come in on the first turn. Obviously, since we don't know where the enemy is, you'll just have to guess.

Jh7MzAf.png

Here are the available guns. Note that Helly 's mortar team is unavailable as they are not set up. They don't have radios either, so you'll have to be in shouting distance to actually coordinate fire with them during the battle.

For the fire mission, you can select three types of target:
Point...
oRNBf6K.png

Area...
ryqFs7d.png

And linear...
OMmAI5N.png

Area and linear targets are size adjustable (limited by what you can see during the actual battle).

You can select the number of guns you want firing on the target...
iincxp8.png

The rate of fire and how much ammo they'll expend...
Jg77rE9.png

How long they'll fire on the target for...
mHGyxVO.png

And a delay between your fire mission and when they'll actually execute it...
dI5WC1x.png

Note the green circle next to the mortar icon, which indicates how hot the tubes are. Yes, they can overheat. Be sure to include a target for the 81mm with your orders, if you want to.

Andnjord
You're the only one here commanding multiple units. Don't forget! Also, your M1919s will have to set up before they can fire, via a "Deploy" command in the Special section. This takes time, and your teams are very vulnerable. Naturally, they also won't be able to shoot something they can't see.

Helly
Even though your mortars are indirect fire weapons, you'll still have to see your target to engage, unless another unit is directing your fire. Like Andnjord, your weapon must deployed before use via a special command, and this takes time.

That is all I can think of for now. Whether you want to draw out something on the map, or just give me a written order, submit your orders now. Be sure to tell me which deployment zone you want your unit to start in, and to coordinate with your teammates. Good luck and Godspeed!

Orders Submitted:
Endemic, M5 HQ - Submitted
Dayyālu , 2nd Pl. HQ - Submitted
Kalarion , 2nd Pl., 1st Section - Submitted
ValeVelKal , 2nd Pl., 2nd Section - Submitted
Helly , A Co. Mortar - Submitted
Andnjord , 2nd Pl. MGs - Submitted

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Remain in the wood, walking in parallel to Endemic. Normal move, let's not exhaust ourselves crawling.

Andnjord

Arcane
kEBrCxY.png

I'll take one team north and one south, both deployed at the edge of the wood line nice and toasty in cover unless someone better than me at these kid of games has a plan.

Move there as fast as Endemic does, don't want to rush but neither do we want to follow the Syrian doctrine of combined arms.

Also, can we get some estimations of our weapon ranges on map?

EDIT: Changed the location of red team, I hadn't looked at the elevation of the map.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom