Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [Let's Command] Rangers vs. Panzergrenadiers in Combat Mission: Fortress Italy

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reporting for duty, commander. I'll show these idiots how it's done once they've gone and gotten themselves killed, which shouldn't take long.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Reporting for duty, commander. I'll show these idiots how it's done once they've gone and gotten themselves killed, which shouldn't take long.
No slots open atm, but they will be opening when reinforcements arrive.

Also, can we get some estimations of our weapon ranges on map?
Ranges are realistic, your M1919s can probably shoot out to five hundred meters effectively.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Deploy in the same area of the mortars. If Helly deploys North, standard move to the woods right of Endemic. If he deploys South, the woods where Andj is.

Pre-ordered fire mission of the 81mm mortars:

The Church is tempting, but it's probably the better-built building. Let's scare off the inevitable German MG advanced positions:

eNZ1Nm4.jpg

Point mission on building, 2 guns, Light rate of fire, Medium duration, immediate.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll deploy South in support of Andnjord's southern MG team. Hunt move through the forest to the edge, then await further developments and provide close support/perimeter security for the MGs.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Currently waiting for another operation named "Gallbladder removal", a bloody one in perspective, so my cunning plan will be late. Just have me hidden in some forest with a clean line of sight please if I can't answer quickly enough!

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Currently waiting for another operation named "Gallbladder removal", a bloody one in perspective, so my cunning plan will be late. Just have me hidden in some forest with a clean line of sight please if I can't answer quickly enough!
Good luck. I'll try to be as careful with your guys as I possibly can.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
PLANNING:
With the faint colored lines, you can see the movement orders I gave your units. Hopefully, they are not too far off. Since Helly is currently dealing with stuff, I decided to deploy his team on the upper (which is actually the Eastern deployment zone, not the Northern one) zone and quick move them to the copse of trees west of Endemic, with Dayyālu's HQ team following right on his heels.

kxg4rfc.png

RESOLVING THE TURN:
The first few seconds are a burst of action as all the units take off torwards their respective waypoints, with Endemic's M5 leading the charge.
drrWbZo.png

Within a few seconds, our troops are being shot at. A burst of tracers zips above Endemic's turret, passing harmlessly between Andnjord's 1st MG team as they're dashing towards the treeline. It's coming from the church to the south-west.
S0UEAgK.png

Endemic's tank comes to a stop in the intersection, the dust being kicked up helping to obscure the troops behind him...
nYYgY8w.png

Meanwhile, Dayyālu's artillery strike is pounding Vellabruca Center, kicking up quite a bit of dust as well. The 81mm mortars won't be the only thing blowing up this turn, because...
gZjlSvJ.png

Nearly as soon as Endemic's M5 comes to a stop, sparks fly and an explosion rings out, as some sort of projectile from an unspotted unit penetrates the left weapon mount, instantly destroying the breech for the 37mm gun and disabling it, taking the head off the tank's commander, and damaging the optics. How quickly the tides turn!
zJpjI23.png

VOpw5JV.png

hTp6kdd.png

Meanwhile, the units at the eastern edge of the map have eyes on the Germans who sprayed the MG team earlier. A machinegunner in a foxhole on the incline, and another soldier in the church itself.
Svs5CMv.png

When the sixty seconds pass, Endemic's M5 has quickly reversed over the berm and into safety, for now. The gun is out and the commander is dead, but the tank and her machineguns are still functional.
GgqY58U.png

Andnjord's 1st MG team has deployed in the eastern treeline, and have a good line of sight on the church, although they lost their spot on the infantry in the building.
7q32h5c.png

ValeVelKal's infantry section are moving at a steady pace up the hill behind Andnjord's 1st MG team, safe from prying eyes for now, looking to take a position in the treeline south of the M1919.
6leneKX.png

Helly and Dayyālu's team have set up in the copse of trees north-west of the intersection. Helly's team had eyes on both of the infantry, but lost the spot on the German in the church and has yet to be ordered to deploy his mortar. His team is shouting the locations of the enemy to the HQ squad, but Dayyālu's men can't see them through the trees quite yet.
T1167Ti.png

Down west, Andnjord's 2nd MG team has deployed in the treeline with sightlines on the church, but hasn't seen anything yet. Kalarion's squad is in the treeline beside him, similarly can't see anything besides the second stories of some of Vellabruca's buildings.
8WTxGd7.png

ORDERS & CONSIDERATIONS:
Outside of Endemic's tank commander and his poor 37mm gun, every unit is currently full strength. The spots on the infantry certainly aren't complete -- there's no way there's only one guy at each of those positions. Additionally, nobody has yet been able to spot what hit Endemic, who's M5 is unlikely to survive another hit like that intact.

Here's the map as of the end of the first turn:
3xXVknZ.png

e4YIBc2.png

Orders Submitted:
Endemic, M5 HQ - Submitted
Dayyālu , 2nd Pl. HQ - Submitted
Kalarion , 2nd Pl., 1st Section - Submitted
ValeVelKal , 2nd Pl., 2nd Section - Submitted
Helly , A Co. Mortar - Submitted
Andnjord , 2nd Pl. MGs - Submitted

Helly, please post in the thread whenever you're ready to take over control of the mortar team again. Until then, I'll do my best to keep them alive.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Because of course our tank had to suffer the (almost) exact same fate as Mondblut's Pz38(t) :lol:. Quoting Dayyalu's:

Also, I like a lot how the first casualty is the steretypical WW2 tank combat example: tank advances, doesn't see hidden AT gun, blows up. Just like history!

I'll keep both teams deployed where they are. Hold my fire unless:
  • someone else moves out and needs suppressing fire
  • we get a better spot on the enemy troops
No point revealing my positions to shoot at a single dude for now.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'd like for the mortars go deploy and my HQ TO move leisurely to a spotting position on the tree line, then take cover. Mortars possibly near enough to receive voice orders.

The first turn fire mission will be active for how long?

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Men, did you see what happened to that M5? Do you know what it means? YES. NOW WE HAVE THE BIGGEST GUN IN THE WHOLE TEAM."

We're going to stay on the western ridge of the eastern forest with an eye opened for choice targets. If anybody spots either MG or anti tank we're on it!

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
"Men, did you see what happened to that M5? Do you know what it means? YES. NOW WE HAVE THE BIGGEST GUN IN THE WHOLE TEAM."

Well I do still have two .30cal machineguns to use :P
Are you talking to us?
Sorry but we mortar teams have principles. We couldn't possibly mingle with SMALL BORE "people".
But please stand between us and bullets with your large carcass, friend :oops:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Well, good thing I did not arrive first and pick the tank.

So I guess I follow the tree line, the first third normal movement, the rest crawling. If I find anything, I HOLD my fire and report :

PXMvZk4.jpg

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
YES. NOW WE HAVE THE BIGGEST GUN IN THE WHOLE TEAM."
To be fair, your mortar is a 60mm caliber, so you already started with a bigger gun than the M5's puny 37mm gun. You were always the bigger gun of the team senpai
love.png

is report even possible if you don't have a radio to tell anyone about what you've seen?
It seems to work if you're within shouting distance. Kinda giving me flashbacks of Computer Ambush, but more sensible.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I find anything, I HOLD my fire and report :
is report even possible if you don't have a radio to tell anyone about what you've seen?
I am an American, I have a FLAG !!
I can pretty much send someone to run, if needed.

Edit : Also, I did not have the infamous "no radio" in the description of my squad.

true. For the radio, it was in the description of the HQ:
This element consists of a four man HQ unit with the only infantry radio at the beginning of the scenario,

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Reporting is automatic but is indeed communicated based on whether your team has a radio or not. Unfortunately, ValeVelKal, you don't. As of now, only Endemic and Dayyālu have radios. I should've posted the squad windows when I first made this thread to make that more clear. And as in-depth as this game is, it actually contains no "Hold Fire" command. I can set a target arc and that generally, if small enough, operates as a "Hold Fire" command, but it's finicky.

Edit: if you want to stop when you see the enemy, are you sure you don't want to use Hunt?

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
It definitely limits your options. Unless the enemy is spotted in the last second of the turn, you can't really react to them. You have to plan ahead an let the TacAI handle the rest.

Endemic

Arcane
And as in-depth as this game is, it actually contains no "Hold Fire" command. I can set a target arc and that generally, if small enough, operates as a "Hold Fire" command, but it's finicky.

Shame the hide command is gone. I liked that in the classic CM trilogy.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the fire mission's still pounding the lead buildings, it might be worth it for me to make a dash for that fenced enclosure to the east of us. It would give us a better spotting vantage.

Thoughts?

Andnjord

Arcane
It definitely limits your options. Unless the enemy is spotted in the last second of the turn, you can't really react to them. You have to plan ahead an let the TacAI handle the rest.
Ok, in that case I'll amend my orders:
  • East team will target the bombarded building to supress anything that might target Valevelkal.
  • West team targets the church and wood in front of it, Target Light fire, just to keep their heads down in case they starts shooting my main man Kalarion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom