Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [Let's Command] Rangers vs. Panzergrenadiers in Combat Mission: Fortress Italy

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's decided then. Fast move to the fenced enclosure, take cover along the wall.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Reporting is automatic but is indeed communicated based on whether your team has a radio or not. Unfortunately, ValeVelKal, you don't. As of now, only Endemic and Dayyālu have radios. I should've posted the squad windows when I first made this thread to make that more clear. And as in-depth as this game is, it actually contains no "Hold Fire" command. I can set a target arc and that generally, if small enough, operates as a "Hold Fire" command, but it's finicky.

Edit: if you want to stop when you see the enemy, are you sure you don't want to use Hunt?
Go with HUNT then.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
PLANNING:
Perhaps due to a fluke on my part, or the dust being kicked up by the 81mm mortars, Andnjord's western MG team cannot target the building being bombarded OR the church, or any of the buildings in Vallebruca. I've resolved to shift his team slightly east to a higher portion of the treeline, in the hopes that they'll be able to shoot at the building once the smoke clears. The eastern MG team is targeting the church instead with light fire.
8UTvHTR.png

RESOLVING THE TURN:

The turn begins with the bass of Andnjord's eastern M1919 firing upon the church. Helly's team deploys their mortar, ValeVelKal's squad make their way up the hill in the treeline, Dayyālu's HQ team make their way to the treeline just below the mortar team, and at the western side, Andnjord's second team shifts position while Kalarion's squad starts run up the hill towards the orchard.
iEIKfIJ.png

7yPFX9w.png

However, the first MG team is quickly spotted and gets some rounds put its way in response, hitting the trees around the MG and nearly striking ValeVelKal's soldiers behind them.
yD6IiO9.png

Thankfully, those rounds only remain near ValeVelKal's men. The incoming fire has inspired his men to start sprinting up the hill, which seems to save them from getting raked by MG-34 fire from the church -- a building that we've now spotted a fireteam within.
LSFpygs.png

The same cannot be said of Andnjord's first MG position. As they fire upon the church, one of the German's bullets strike true, killing the leader of the MG unit. His comrades curl up in the fetal position and let the M1919 grow cold as they have a significant emotional event.
JE7qq5j.png

In the meantime, Kalarion's squad has made it up to the road, and now prepares to fast move to the short stone wall in front of them. Andnjord's second MG team is in position and deployed, but still can't target anything.
C7CMeYf.png

Dayyālu's HQ team has made it to the treeline intact, and now their sniper is taking potshots at the foxholes on the hill. It draws some sporadic and ineffective return fire, which no one is hit by. Still means that the Germans can see the HQ. Helly's mortar is deployed, but hasn't opened fire yet.
WQYLLAI.png

As the turn ends, one more Ranger lies dead in the eastern treeline. ValeVelKal's men are still moving through the treeline to his position on the flank. Kalarion's men are about to come up on the orchard, putting them in view of the foxholes and the church, as well as Vellabruca's front buildings. Andnjord's eastern MG has regained it's bravery and started firing on the church again. Dayyālu's sniper is shooting at the foxholes, and Helly's mortar is poised to rain death on the foxholes as well. Endemic's M5 is sat safely behind the berm still, but might be able to put that command machinegun to use if they unbutton. Our pixeltruppen have spotted more of the Germans -- four in the church total, and a rifleman in the foxholes near the machinegunner. The foxhole machinegunner seems to have hidden himself.
Ws6427c.png

49cJGxi.png

ORDERS & CONSIDERATIONS:
Another undecisive turn. Right now, the primary concern is the lack of firepower to properly cover the advance of the infantry. It initially seemed like Andnjord's second team would be able to engage Vellabruca, but the incline is so steep that they can only see the roofs of the buildings -- unfortunately, not a valid target. CM's targeting is notoriously finicky. I might've based the assumption that the western team could target the church on the waypoint targeting preview, which is only accurate for standing units. ValeVelKal's squad has been taking fire, and has been slow going through the forest, not even close to his final waypoint. Kalarion's position is similarly precarious. With the eastern MG failing to suppress the church fireteam, they have the potential to shoot over the stone wall into his unit from their second story position, unless his team gets online quick enough to aid in suppressing the church. Helly's mortars being able to shell the foxholes should be a big help here.
KyBnvND.png

RkUcqol.png

Orders Submitted:
Endemic, M5 HQ - Submitted
Dayyālu , 2nd Pl. HQ - Submitted
Kalarion , 2nd Pl., 1st Section - Submitted
ValeVelKal , 2nd Pl., 2nd Section - Submitted
Helly , A Co. Mortar - Submitted
Andnjord , 2nd Pl. MGs - Submitted

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I think I just fucked up. I didn't realize that Andnjord couldn't suppress for me, and I didn't anticipate being so far forward of the main battle line (I thought the Western troops would be further forward then they are now). The only good news is that it doesn't look like any troops are in the orchard (the one thing I had initially been concerned about).

Well, we may hope that the saying holds true - fortune favors the bold. I'll continue to Fast move to the orchard fence, take what cover I can, and see about laying down suppressing fire on the foxholes and church, in anticipation of a more spirited advance in the West.

Looks like I should have just hunkered down with Andy for a couple turns to await further developments :D

Dayyālu

Arcane
I keep my sniper up firing and order another Fire Mission for the 81mm mortars.

Point: Church, guns 2 , medium rate of fire, short duration, request immediate.

If the 60mm can direct spot, no problems. If they can't, target the Foxholes. Area, Heavy rate of fire, short duration, immediate. They can always piss on it to cool it down.

Andnjord

Arcane
  • East Team: Target the church with extreme prejudice.
  • West Team: they are currently useless where they are and need to redeploy ASAP. On one hand I don't want to leave Kalarion and his men exposed alone and would want to rush along with him. On the other, we don't know what else is out there and reinforcements will soon be on the way. So redeploy them to the westernmost wood line of the 1st deployment zone, next to our boss Dayya.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Were my men detected because they were standing, or not detected and just behind Andnjord so on the receiving end of MG ?

I am not going to do anything with rifles from where I am, so in the latter case, back to crawling, avoid taking fire and scouting for the time being. If the German position is suppressed by MG fire, I can resume my normal movement. Are you more visble when dashing compared to normal movement ?

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Were my men detected because they were standing, or not detected and just behind Andnjord so on the receiving end of MG ?
Hard to say. The fire was going a bit high, but I'm not sure if that means they saw your guys. At the end of the turn, they ended up behind some pretty solid tree concealment.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Apologies for the slower than usual response time. I've been inundated with both school and normal work.

PLANNING:
Kalarion's squad is still running up to the orchard's north-eastern wall. Andnjord's 1st team has been ordered to more heavily engage the church, and his 2nd team is bounding across the field to redeploy near Dayyālu's team. Dayyālu's team has cancelled the 81mm strike, which had less than a minute of fire mission left, but will have to wait until next turn to order a mission on the church. ValeVelKal's squad is tired, nearing exhaustion, so they've been stopped in the upper treeline for the time being. Helly's mortars have began engaging the foxholes, and Endemic's M5 is swinging into its new position on the hill.
HIgR43K.png

RESOLVING THE TURN:

The turn kicks off with Andnjord's eastern M1919 opening up on the church again, this time with longer sustained bursts.
YJQFONi.png

But disaster strikes nearly immediately -- a round from the church strikes the spotter in the head and kills him instantly. The gunner, nerves steeled, doesn't let it faze him, and continues to keep the machinegun firing.
1Rgg7Lb.png

Kalarion's squad comes up on the wall nearly immediately, and begin to take fire before they even reach it from the church. It's inaccurate and some of the men in the church are cowering from fear. It seems like that machinegun suppression wasn't useless after all.
ZZem6y2.png

When the squad reaches the stone wall, the fire intensifies as the foxhole unit and some of the unspotted units in Vallebruca catch sight of Kalarion's men.
Sstz4Jv.png

Helly's mortars are currently falling short of the foxholes. Additionally, something explodes right in the middle of their team, killing one of the spotters. With their first loss incurred, they're heavily suppressed and the gun goes cold.
kZeFHVq.png

Andnjord's 2nd team won't escape losses either. As they near the Dayyālu's HQ team, machinegun fire from an unspotted unit in Vallebruca rakes them, spelling death for one of the assistants.
hYbPJWf.png

More fire rakes the MG team, seemingly from the light brown building...
DQMjlAz.png

...Sending another assistant to convene with St. Nick at the pearly gates. Both of Andnjord's units are down to a single man.
vkLMSAv.png

When the turn ends, all of Kalarion's men are miraculously still alive, even if the fire isn't letting up. Additionally, the Germans in the church are becoming more and more suppressed. Many of them are curled up in the fetal position for fear of their lives, but so are many of Kalarion's men.
FRh6w55.png

ValeVelKal's men have set themselves in the treeline on eastern road to catch their breath. It's not a safe position, but it seems the enemy hasn't spotted them or has more pressing things to fire at. They're only a short distance away from the town itself. Note the collapsed shed, taken down by 81mm.
vIlQCY6.png

Endemic's M5 has swung into position, with a line of sight on some of Vallebruca's forward buildings.
y3GgbxM.png

ORDERS & CONSIDERATIONS:
What an absolute slaughter. Stuff is getting dicey now. Dayyālu, please remind me to commence your fire mission on the church next turn. Andnjord, your 2nd team (what's left of it) is still heading into the trees slightly ahead of Dayyālu's HQ team. Do you still want to position him there? He should have better lines of sight, but so will the enemy. ValeVelKal, your guys are so near exhaustion that it's probably a fool's errand to try and push them up anymore for now. Do you want to keep them in the treeline, or position them behind the trees?
pdKQTt2.png

Orders Submitted:
Endemic, M5 HQ - Submitted
Dayyālu , 2nd Pl. HQ - Submitted
Kalarion , 2nd Pl., 1st Section - Submitted
ValeVelKal , 2nd Pl., 2nd Section - Submitted
Helly , A Co. Mortar - Submitted
Andnjord , 2nd Pl. MGs - Submitted

Last edited:

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
The formatting with the spoilers is totally shitting the bed right now and nothing fixes it. That's what I get for copy-pasting formatted text. Just open all of them and all the info should be there. Sorry about that.

Endemic

Arcane
I'll area fire on the closest building (since no specific enemies are visible).

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I have no idea what I am doing or where everyone is shooting at, I have not done anything useful yet and I am already exhausted : feels realistic.

I move behind the tree line - more protected.

Is there a way to send someone to pick up the M1919 when the last of Andjnord’s men inevitably croaks ?

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Wait, why did Andnjord's team move from the western treeline, directly east, completely in the open the whole way? I don't remember Andy ordering that, did I miss something?

Not much for my team to do. Hunker down and await reinforcements or Endemic I guess. What a pickle.

Andnjord

Arcane
Wait, why did Andnjord's team move from the western treeline, directly east, completely in the open the whole way? I don't remember Andy ordering that, did I miss something?
So redeploy them to the westernmost wood line of the 1st deployment zone, next to our boss Dayya.
No mistakes there, those were my orders. I was hoping that between the machine-gun team 01 and Helly's mortars there wouldn't be such a deadly fire coming my way :negative:

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Can I merge my two teams?
Unfortunately not. Stupid, I know.

Is there a way to send someone to pick up the M1919 when the last of Andjnord’s men inevitably croaks ?
Also no. Inter-unit and equipment interactions are basically non-existent in this game. This isn't Men of War, unfortunately.

As for Andnjord's 2nd team, that was just plain bad luck. That building is obscured from every other angle of fire and approach.

Andnjord

Arcane
Deploy team two inside the wood with chief Dayya, Hide.
Team One, cease fire, hide and hope they don't send mortar shells our way. If my men keep firing we won't have any machine gun support by the time our reinforcements arrive.

Also, to our infantry commanders: why U no scout, brothers?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Team One, cease fire, hide and hope they don't send mortar shells our way. If my men keep firing we won't have any machine gun support by the time our reinforcements arrive.

Well, I WAS scouting, and then someone started to attract bullets MY direction.

Andnjord

Arcane

Well, I WAS scouting, and then someone starting to attract bullets MY direction.
Sorry, I meant sending out scout teams. I started letting things rip when I saw our squads getting shot at, but since the scout teams are made of "the two least liked men in the squad, usually just riflemen" I probably would have stayed hidden some more.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
My intent charging the fence was actually to scout enemy positions ahead of the western advance. I'd frankly forgotten that I could split men off to do it :D

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh boy, we couldn't even get a round off near the target, that's something.
Anyway... what can we do? If at all possible I'd like to continue supporting our forward team but if we're unable to shoot then take me back to inside the thicket.

Unless anyone else want some sporadic random cover that might hit them too?

To be fair, your mortar is a 60mm caliber, so you already started with a bigger gun than the M5's puny 37mm gun. You were always the bigger gun of the team senpai
love.png
For some reason I thought we had a Sherman, not a Stuart :(
At least this explains why it got wrecked so quickly by AT guns...

Endemic

Arcane
Pretty sure a Pak40 would put a hole in a Sherman just fine at that distance. My bad for charging down the obvious route :P

Dayyālu

Arcane
We're fine, we're fine. All those that died were probably Irish or something.

Change of plans, if the fire mission for the Church was not already ordered I switch targets to the foxholes, the Church already has some suppression going on and Kalarion's men need all the help they can get.

2 Guns, area targeting (foxholes) short duration, high intensity. Requesting immediate.

Also, if my sniper can engage anyone he should do so aggressively. What's the distance, 200-300 mts? Child's play for a scoped Springfield!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom