Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Conquer the world as Glorious Lithuania

Let's Play Medieval II: Total war!

Alright So I finished my last LP and though it was time for something new, this time not an RPG but a strategy game of sorts. Since the original game is rather easy as well as perhaps lacking in content I'll be playing a modded version, the mod in question is Stainless Steel 6.2 with the "real recruitment and real combat" sub mod installed as well, and a few further modifications of my own as a couple of new units and other changes.

But before we get started we need to select a faction to play and a starting date, there are three different starting dates, 1100, 1200 and 1400. The difference being what territories each faction has, for example in the early scenario the Byzantines are very powerful, in the second one quite weakened, and in the final one next to extinct. The other difference that starting date does is the level of technology we have available, in the standard game you could train any unit as soon as you had the required structure, leading to a situation where you could train gendarmes in the 13th century, in this version a unit needs both the correct building and that a certain date in time has been passed, for example you can't train soldier armed with Muskets until the mud 15th century at the earliest.

Alright so the factions available. I'm simply going to list them and let you select which one you think we should play with. Though if you want a closer look at the factions you can take a look Here!, it's a fairly close summary of the factions and their available units.

So the factions are the following.

Aragon
Eastern Roman Empire
Cuman Khanate
Denmark
Egypt
England
France
Holy Roman Empire
Hungary
Crusader States
Mongols
Kiev
Khawarezm
Lithuania
Genoa
The Moors
Norway
The Papal States (not playable)
Poland Potato land
Portugal
Novgorod
Scotland
Sicily
Castile
The Teutonic Order
The Seljuks/Ottomans
Venice

I'd suggest something challenging such as Lithuania or or Hungary in the 1400 hundreds (fighting the Ottoman steamroller ain't easy), otherwise it might quickly devolve into map painting, and we don't want that right?
Any way once we have enough votes on a faction I'll start the first update, also after (nearly) each update there will be choices on how we will proceed to develop our mighty nation, there will of course be consequences to these choices, so consider your actions well!

Updates
Part one: The Glorious Kingdom of Lithuania
Part two: heretics, heretics everywhere
Part three: Battle of Königsberg
Part four: Pop a Pole

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Bleh.... I was half hoping it would be that warhammer fantasy mod for medieval2 they posted a thread about in strategy gaming :(

for vanilla M2, the only obvious answer is Denmark for the bacon.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Re: Let's Conquer the world In Total War! Faction Selection.

Sicily is challenging enough?

Re: Let's Conquer the world In Total War! Faction Selection.

Yeah Lithuania is pagan alright, and sandwiched between the Orthodox Christian Russian factions, and the Catholic Poles and Teutonic Order (who really hates the Lithuanians), and then there are the occasional crusade that may happen.

Kz3r0 said:
Sicily is challenging enough?

Well to be honest the campaign map AI just about completly incompetent when it comes to naval invasions so it's got a very safe starting position.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Hellraiser said:
Lithuania, conquer everything with with Hitmen and convert everyone to paganism.
this... was planning on doing it myself but i got bored with stainless steel

Cassidy

Arcane
Chaos...

oh wait, this is not Call of Warhammer.

Then:

Hitman_2_artwork.jpg

Gondolin said:
hoverdog said:
PAGANS FTW

Well looks like the Lithuanian hitmen are in a solid lead, guess there will be plenty of assassins used in this LP/AAR, gonna wait a little longer at least before starting, but it sure looks like it's going to be Lithuania unless some drastic support for some other faction happens.

Well Could perhaps continue with a LP of the warhammer mod afterwards, going to download it and give it a try.

oscar

Arcane
Venice late-era could be fun (throw back the Ottomans and get filthy rich).

Lithuania and creating a Pagan revival would be good.

Holding Constantinople from the wily Turks and jealous Catholics in the 1400's sounds like a good challenge.

Kievan Rus and unifying the lands of the Cossacks.

Lithuania is probably the only option that is really that hard. Otherwise I'd like to see you try the Cumans or the Mongols. Creating the Ottoman Empire at its zenith a few centuries early also sounds like fun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm currently playing a game with Lithuania and doing pretty well despite the fact that Norway and Denmark and Kiev are constantly attacking me (Poland is almost dead, Novgorod I defeated by killing all their family members :lol: ). I got lucky and there hasn't been any crusade declared on Lithuania.

So I vote for Lithuania, hoping that you'll get fucked by tons of crusaders, struggling to survive while trying to re-paganize Europe. :salute:

Glorious Kingdom of Lithuania

0000.jpg

Welcome to Glorious Kingdom of Lithuania.
0001.jpg

Actually Lithuania is not Kingdom, is Duchy, but is glorious one!
0002.jpg

Other people believe is silly Jesus man, what kind of god is killed by human? Weak god that is what!
0003.jpg

... though in places some people have started believing in silly Jesus man for offer of "salvation" "heavan" and such silly things. Can you eat salvation? Lithuanian gods offer much potato, potato you can eat. Though we do not know what holy potato is, but one day we shall know.
0004.jpg

Though all is not well in glorious Lithuania, we fighting war with evil Teutonic knights.
0005.jpg

Even though their army very strong, we have ace. The Lithuanian hit man, actually no is hit man is spy. But in future we shall have many hit men.
0006.jpg

To help people believe in holy potato we build shrine to mighty Lithuanian gods.
0009.jpg

We have problem in Lithuania land, do not know what happen in glorious nation, so king Grand Duke order many watchtowers build.
0010.jpg

Up in north many pagan brothers live in Order controlled Latvia.
oppressed-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-591149_1008_566.jpg

look at poor peasants being oppressed by knights!
not worry Latvian peasant, Lithuania will save you!

0012.jpg

Lithuania is mighty, but need allies, so send diplomat to Kiev.
0013.jpg

More news from silly Jesus people, they can't even agree on anything.
0015.jpg

In Hrodna we build leather tanner, make leather armor, make troops invincible.
0009.jpg

Grand Army is assembled, what do you mean it's only peasant rabble? is glorious army!
0017.jpg

Look how pious Lithuanian priests are, finest priest in world!
0018.jpg

Ahem enough potato talk for now.
Enemy army sighted, death to the heathens!
0020.jpg

Königsberg is a bit to heavily fortified, perhaps it's better to aim for some easier pray.
0022.jpg

Whats wrong Christians, can't you crusade properly by you selves?
0023.jpg

New buildings have been constructed for the glory of the mother potato land.
0024.jpg

We may not have discovered the potato yet, but it never hurts to be prepared!
0026.jpg

Were did the large army go? I see only this small one.
0027.jpg

Our skilled hit man spy manages to locate the main enemy army, this avoids us getting ambushed by them
0028.jpg

Attack! The forces are roughly balances, even though we have a great numerical superiority, the enemy shall slaughter until they become exhausted and then we shall slaughter them!
0029.jpg

As you can see most Lithuanian forces are not to well equipped.
0030.jpg

A select few have it a bit better though.
0031.jpg

We set up stakes to prevent the heavy order cavarly devastating our ranks.
0032.jpg

Cavalry archers at the flanks.

0033.jpg

A few spearmen and skirmishers to deal with any flanking attempt.

0034.jpg

Let the battle commence!
0037.jpg

Moving up the cavarly archers to harass the enemy
0038.jpg

once the enemies in close enough Archers are order to open fire
0039.jpg

The enemy knights are dropping like flies to the cavalry archers, really this shouldn't be happening considering their heavy armor and shields, well I guess we got some divine favor coming our way
0041.jpg

A minor cavalry skirmish in the woods as the enemy knights chase our archers around
0042.jpg

Yeah good luck with that
0043.jpg

Mean while some where else
0044.jpg

The enemies general has managed to caught some of our archers in close combat and it's quite a bloody affair. However a rear charge from our own heavy cavalry if performed.
0048.jpg

It's devastating, and some where here their general is killed.
0045.jpg

Moving the cavalry over to charge the enemy flank after dealing with the last of the body guard, as you can see the enemies morale is already low after the death of the general, their flank collapsing shall surely send them running with their tails between their legs!
0047.jpg

Indeed it does, while their troops might be much stronger in close combat, it doesn't matter while they are disorganized and running about like headless chickens.
0051.jpg

The rest should simply be a mop up and hunting down the routing enemies.
0052.jpg

However the enemy cavalry manages to regroup, their charge is a terrible thing, but they are alone on the field with their allies fleeing for their lives. Even such brave men can not fight such overwhelming odds.
0054.jpg

However a couple of companies of archers have managed to regroup as well, provding support for their mounted comrades.
0055.jpg

However a quick charge from the ferocious Lithuanian cavalry manages to break their already weak morale.
0056.jpg

Thus victory is ours! This war may yet be won even against such a superior foe.
0058.jpg

Our loses are quite small considering their qualitative superiority, though our low loses are mostly due to their commanders demise, had the enemy battle hardened and well equipped infantry held it might have ended differently for those nearly 400 loses we took were almost from the very short melee before their commander died.
0059.jpg

We have captured many of the enemies warriors, the enemy show our brothers in faith no mercy, so they shall receive none.
0061.jpg

Hearing of the crushing defeat of the Order, the pagans of Riga gain hope and revolt against their order overlords. This shall surely make our liberation of Estonia all the easier.
0063.jpg

However first there are diplomatic matters to attend to, an envoy from the Grand Duke reaches a representative of the Polish King. After some discussion an agreement containing an exchange of maps as well a trade arrangements. This shall surely benefit both are people, the Poles may have strayed to the Path of Christianity but they are still good friends of Lithuania.
0065.jpg

From faraway lands news of something called and Inquisition reaches the ears of the Grand Duke, obviously another tool of the Christians to oppress the people. But for as long as Lithuania remains free, at least it's people shall never suffer this scourge.
0066.jpg

Construction of a larger temple is ordered in Hrodna as a thanks to the gods for the great victory we have been granted, but also as way to encourage the people to stay away from the Christian beliefs
0067.jpg

The enemy cowering behind their walls in Riga and unable to stop it, a holy man is sent to Latvia to help spread the faith, for many there are tiered of the Order oppression and will make easy converts. and it will make the region easier to control once it is incorporated into the Lithuanian country
0069.jpg

Teutonic reinforcements that were meant to reinforce the defenses in Riga were attacked thanks to information supplied from our most useful spies and other agents working in the dark.
0071.jpg

it is a small force, so this should be an easy battle, and the mens morale are already at top since the last battle.
0077.jpg

Some enemy light cavalry bravely gallop up to our lines and unleash a hellish volley of javelins, however they are quickly dispatched by volley of arrows sent in return.
0074.jpg

The few remaining men run for it, knowing that if they stay they shall surely meet their god.
0075.jpg

The enemy is greatly disorganized from this and some cavalry archers are sent to flank and surround the enemy.
0076.jpg

The Order commander charges our cavalry, he may be a brave man, but he is also fool if he thinks he can archive victory.
0078.jpg

The Lithuanian commander leads a charge himself with his bodyguard hitting the rear of the enemy cavalry formation.
0079.jpg

Mean while our light cavalry take care of their archers.
0080.jpg

The Order commander quickly realizes the folly of his actions as his body guard is quickly cut down one by one and flees the field, victory is ours! Not surprising considering our great numerical superiority but it is still a victory non the less.
0085.jpg

Nearly four order soldiers are claimed by the earth for every Lithuanian soldier that falls, if we continue like this victory in the war may not be distant.
0086.jpg

The Prince is starting to get a reputation of cruelty among his enemies, the fear this inspires among the ranks of our foes shall surely make them scatter like leaves in the wind before our cavalry.
0089.jpg

An envoy from the state of Novgorod arrives at royal court offering a trade agreement.
0090.jpg

Though with some diplomatic maneuvering the Grand Duke manages to include some more quite useful agreements in the arrangement. Among this is an alliance, Novgorod will not become involved in the current war, but in any future ones we have now a mutual pact of support.
0092.jpg

The agreement is warmly welcomed in the court of Novgorod and our mutual relations has greatly improved, perhaps this alliance shall last, or will matters of religion intervene? Only time will tell.

Also the city of Riga is laid under siege by the mighty Lithuanian army.

Shall we

A. Assault it directly, it is doubtful is we have the strenght to to do so considering the overall low quality of our infantry.

or shall we

B. Starve the defenders out, this will considerably easier, however a large enemy army has been spotted in the area by our spies and may move to intervene. The result may be us fighting two enemy armies at once.

Also do we

A. Strive for peace with the Teutonic order after Liberating Latvia

or we

B. Fight till the bitter end, no mercy for the heathens! Well shall not stop until the last order stronghold falls to out army!

Crush the Order and assault Riga. You might want to maintain the siege for a while to build plenty of ladders and towers, maybe even some rams to bypass the walls and attack the center. I'd say a field battle is preferable if you can hit both armies fast and hard enough to win.

Also, if i were you I'd stick with the potatospeak, with some serious talk about the mechanics of the game dotted between.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom