Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Descend into the EΨE of Divine Cybermancy

Is the metastreumatic force (chaos) just a delusion?

• Total voters

flabbyjack

Arcane
aQEF8MI.jpg

I happen to have a Steam key, so if you beg in this thread properly, then after a period of time I will pick the most pleasing commentors who have requested keys to receive them (I will send key via PM).

Greetings codexians, scholars, wayward travelers. Lend me not only your eyes but your minds, and together we will travel to planes of existence yet unrealized.

As always, here's a little music to help set the mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_FhwS43IYE (Galaktikon full album)

In this cult classic, owned by every other codexian on my Steam friends list, you'll experience features including;
  • an existential nightmare on par with The Void
  • gameplay that's a mix of Serious Sam and Deus Ex
  • character development that includes a dash of MMO-style grinding
  • realization of end-game near godlike powers. Beware tapping into dangerous energies beyond your control
  • epic research you direct, conducted by teams of up to 100 scientists at a time. Your level of technology will enable you and the Secreta to approach 'near godlike' levels of scientific breakthroughs as you leverage the ancient and mysterious metastreumatic force and combine technologies of the galaxy's divided human factions (Bandits, Federation, Secreta)
  • trascend the petty concerns of flesh by modifying your mortal shell with cybernetic and bionic implants
  • plots within plots within plots. Transcendent consciousness is the key to revealing the path to ascension. In layman's terms, you will complete the game at least three times before revealing the True Ending
As I understand it, the game was created by a team of artists and visionaries, not a professional gaming company. It's a HL2 mod, yet it's a stand-alone game (You don't have to own Half Life 2 to play it). The team has mostly returned to their day jobs and we shall probably not see another game in this vein again (Update: The rumor mill says otherwise... no details). There was a rumor that some of the Streum On Studio members worked on Space Hulk, a Warhammer 40k game.

New player tips
Make sure you research Medkits, then pick one up from the armory and use it. If you use a medkit when it has a reading below 20, it has a chance to kill you. Wait for it to charge up then use it at 100% to recover the most health.
Make sure you buy the Bear Killer 444 pistol ASAP, it's practically required for taking down helicopters, Deus Ex Machinas and bosses later in the game, but it doesn't have enough ammo to take on swarms of metastreumatic creatures (Use an assault rifle or gatling gun for that)
The stealth implant (A steal at ~7000 credits) and the power conversion implant are super useful. The dermal armor implant is also quite popular

Index
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Interlude: Interdictions and malefactors
Chapter 4

Last edited:

flabbyjack

Arcane
Without further ado, let's forge a being in the crucible of madness and immortality.

First we create our character, we will name him Codexian Scholar, presently. We shall also refer to Him as the Prescient Consciousness (PC, dur hur hur), Unceasing Presence, the Divine Trial, Quantum Consciousness, and whatever the fuck else I want to call him.
gHsH6Nk.jpg

gmApHv1.jpg

By exploiting the very forces of chaos, we create several dozen incarnations and throw away the degenerative defects. Several sublime specimens arise above the chaff, and we keep one as the glistening gem it is. All glory to genetic manipulation!

Suddenly, we are ejected from the growth chamber into limbo.

iTn8atd.jpg

Where am I? ... What is happening?
This strange dream again

2s1Mp7z.jpg

I'm... a murderer? Feel the transition.

We enter the gate.
tTiwzuR.jpg

and find ourselves in a dead-end cavern with flares, three corpses, a handgun, and a mysterious tablet embedded in a wall. A quick assessment of our situation: We have a katana in our hands, and we appear to be unharmed (physically, anyway).

Suddenly, a distorted message comes in from our cochlear implant:
APCtuzK.jpg
Do you copy? Are you alive?
Zvhua0p.jpg
No, leave me alone! I'm tired of talking to myself. You don't exist! This is all a dream!
APCtuzK.jpg
Shit, this guy's off his rocker. Well, the metastreumatic force has been known to knock people for a loop. Get out of there, quickly! We're sending an extraction team, go go go!

OK, maybe we have some severe mental trauma and amnesia. Did we look too deeply into the prescient? Maybe this is punishment for over-reaching human limits?

We seem to have forgotten ourselves, again.
HIJEltP.jpg

(Wrong game)

Let's have a leisurely look around, what could go wrong. This is the tutorial level, right? It's not like there are mind-shattering secrets hidden in the very beginning of the game, right? RIGHT? (wrong)

ZbUhD3z.jpg

We pick up the pistol marked clearly on our HUD, and bury three precious bullets into the craniums of the corpses. We cannot detect any body heat or life signs from them, but better safe than sorry.

GpYCqWW.jpg

The tutorial system is nice, and uses embedded videos to show how to do just about anything.

d96JSYV.jpg

The Marker on the wall contains a drawing of a Gate and some text in ancient writing. This can't be a coincidence.

There is nothing useful here, let's proceed upwards towards the light and life of reason. An obvious path presents itself, then the unexpected happens

sorWO1r.jpg

A creature, born of nightmares, bursts from the very walls and assaults our divine personage. A single stroke of the blade and the creature crumples into the dust. Something tells us we will climb mountains of these corpses before we are complete. We now possess its corpse, and can conduct the according research into its origin and nature (All in good time, my friends)

zpOadkH.jpg

The sword has an eye in it. It's watching everything that happens. Creepy. Where did this thing come from?

zS9meeT.jpg

It looks like this cave is deep underground, there's both a ladder and elevator we can use to reach the surface. Express service, please!

Breaking the fourth dimensional wall, again, but let's take a look at the options screen:
FZn7I1G.jpg

We will play on Normal. When we start grinding we will ramp up the reinforcement rate and difficulty for faster credits and experience (Actually, at some point I will switch over to my level 40 character).

mGbYRoH.jpg

This guy is the first live human we have met. He seems strangely familiar. No matter, how can this Dutch character be useful to us?
fXuOmBz.jpg
You're in bad shape, brother! At least we finally found you!
Zvhua0p.jpg
Bring me up to speed on the situation, Dutch.
fXuOmBz.jpg
Listen carefully; you have to flee quickly in order to reach our agent at the extraction point!
Zvhua0p.jpg
What are the enemy numbers?
fXuOmBz.jpg
Just a small squad for now, but don't underestimate them. There should also be a strong contingent of looters in the tunnel. You'll need to take them out in order to reach the extraction point.
Zvhua0p.jpg
Thanks, but these pigs don't scare me.
fXuOmBz.jpg
I brought along a mobile armory.
Zvhua0p.jpg
Excuse me?
fXuOmBz.jpg
There are dozens of weapons, have at it! I cannot come with you, I have to go examine the mysterious cave, then seal it for all eternity.

Zvhua0p.jpg
MUAHAHAHAHAHA! Guns!

1uxsrS9.jpg

I have always been partial to the assault rifles. Light armor is pretty useless and makes you super squishy, so let's stick with Heavy armor.

FKO - KA 93 assault rifle.
Features 12.7 KA wall piercing ammo, heavy recoil, semi-auto and full-auto modes, magazine capacity is 30 rounds + 1 in the chamber, it's accurate to 300 yards, fires 3 rounds a second, and has reasonable damage giving it decent armor penetration

The Armed Entity loads its arms with magazines and is now a catastrophe waiting to happen. The enemies of the Secreta will perish by our hand, and light of the universe will become dimmer, but more under our collective control.

TpyxN8Y.jpg

There are some information terminals we use briefly to update ourselves on our current situation. We seem to be an EYE agent on a Federation planet.

pI05yQc.jpg

Our IFF program identifies at least 6 hostiles. Federation soldiers on a seek and destroy mission. There's a dangerous slide here that can kill you unless you know to crouch or go over it slowly. Our eminent PC snipes one from a distance, then takes out another sniper. We slide down and creep over to the side, taking them out with bursts of fire from our trusty FKO.
EZKPRFF.jpg

9FnYfYi.jpg

PC finds a stragler at the other end of the rivulet, and approaches him Jason style, soaking up blasts from his shotgun (Heavy armor ftw). The katana can be used to parry attacks, which consumes stamina instead of health.

dRFTcTx.jpg

PC crawls through some sewers, and takes out a squad of looters. PC almost always uses the targeting scope.
exfmPNZ.jpg

dhSH77g.jpg

Again, we finish the last one with the katana, blocking his bullets then cutting him down in a perfect attack the likes of which samurai aspire to achieve.

Digging through our available software programs, we find one labelled 'Research'. Intruiging.
Oh9uAIW.jpg

There is a pending substance we can research and manufacture. It regenerates both mind and body. This may be useful for fixing our damaged psyche. We order a team of 30 scientists to quickly isolate the compound.

PC is confronted by a locked door. He pulls out his data-jack and enters the Matrix runs the rootkit. After a little buton mashing he's on his way again. Author's note: Hacking has been modified in the latest release of EYE, you can no longer 'specialize' in it per se, and difficulty has been increased.
0uJMjOU.jpg

mgx9H53.jpg

On the other side is a dirty Jian agent. They are a faction of the Secreta who usually opposes our own Culter Dei faction, for the most part. They are azn.

EZFJKrr.jpg
Thank you for opening the door; I had a devil of a time with it! I hope those bastard loters weren't too hard on you?
Zvhua0p.jpg
You're kidding me, right? Those guys were a joke. I didn't even break a sweat!
EZFJKrr.jpg
I was here to extract you from that situation in the first place, but recent events have forced us to change plans! Our intelligence agents told us that we've been spotted by Federal Special Forces. Those guys are no joke, they are highly advanced cyborgs whose technology almost rivals our own! I will have to create a diversion for you to escape safely.
Zvhua0p.jpg
I'm not going to let you risk your life! Let's take those pigs down!
EZFJKrr.jpg
Shut up, that's not part of the script. You're going to the temple to make your rapturous report to Commander Rimanah.

APZ2jaa.jpg

On the next exciting chapter: The Temple HQ!

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
No idea what is it despide spending few hours with it. No manual, no explanations. You're just throwed in the middle of the story. Lot of strange stuff here.
Kinda liked it. And will watch the thread.
Stopped playing in 2nd/3rd map or mission where hordes of xeno scums overwhelmed me...

flabbyjack

Arcane
MotherMachinae
I stopped playing the first time I tried it, because I was thrown off a little by the UI and respawning entities. After I gave it a second chance I loved it. Make sure you research medpacks at the beginning, then pick one up from an armory and use it, but try not to kill youself in the process.
Edit: You need to use gatling gun for the 3rd mission or whatever when the xeno hordes attack. That one is really challenging.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really do think this game works best as a coop experience.

I laughed so hard the first time I killed myself by drawing a triangle in the air(with my mind!).

Eyeball

Arcane
A pretty interesting game for certain. I'm not sure whether it's a bad game or a flawed gem because frankly, I had very Little idea about what was going on most of the damn time I played it. Lots of stats, most of which made no sense, many types of cyberware, Again with poorly explained effects, several different factions, the details of which weren't adequately explained, lots of weapons, most of which were pretty kickass. EYE's main selling point is, in my book, the minigun, which is really badass and mows down bad Guys like a Maxim gun at Rourke's Drift.

But seriously, I have no idea what the game is about, and the UI ain't helping.

Incidentally, the game is on sale on STEAM at 80% off at the moment. 2 euros, well worth the Money. It's the kind of game you either love to death or are completely indifferent to.

Cassidy

Arcane
E.Y.E is an infinitely better FPS+RPG than the completely overrated mediocrity known as Fallout: New Vegas. Plus it runs on a stable engine and weird as it is, its plot also is vastly superior and it implemented a very interesting alternative to save/load.

DragoFireheart

:troll:

This game reminds me of the also underrated classic known as Strife, gameplay-wise. Stylistically it's a completely different animal.

lightbane

Arcane
Ah, this game. It was quite strange, indeed. Also, it's one of the few games in which shotguns are actually very fun to use (they do work at middle range btw).

zwanzig_zwoelf

MotherMachinae
I stopped playing the first time I tried it, because I was thrown off a little by the UI and respawning entities. After I gave it a second chance I loved it. Make sure you research medpacks at the beginning, then pick one up from an armory and use it, but try not to kill youself in the process.
Edit: You need to use gatling gun for the 3rd mission or whatever when the xeno hordes attack. That one is really challenging.
I remember I didn't bother to research shit, so I my first playthrough was without a medkit.

:negative:
I still remember how painful it was.
I had to drop ammo and then cast PSI shit, while I was surrounded by countless Manducos willing to stomp my ass.

EDIT: How about this: I join you on your second playthrough if you'll LP all 3 playthroughs? I could pretend that I'm playing for the first time, and we could roleplay that crap.
Like 'Bro wtf you look like me'.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Horus is correct in his assumption: Xyglblat is the obligatory kingcomrade voting option

We arrive in Temple HQ, the plot thickens.

ZOTIB4N.jpg

5OnH1Np.jpg
Mentor: How did you let yourself be defeated? Tsk, tsk... You're supposed to be E.Y.E elite.
Zvhua0p.jpg
I am sorry for having disgraced you, master.
5OnH1Np.jpg
And yet I taught you everything: Assassination, combat, infiltration. You received the best training our Culter Dei caste has to offer! You know that we have strong internal tensions with the Jian Shang Di! It's not the time for you to be out of combat for so long!
Zvhua0p.jpg
I shall not be vanquished again. (Don't count on it)
5OnH1Np.jpg
What -really- happened to you? I didn't know you were on a mission.
Zvhua0p.jpg
I don't recall much, I woke up in a cave... wounded.
5OnH1Np.jpg
The medical team warned me, you would have lost a large part of your memory.
Zvhua0p.jpg
Indeed, but I have to leave, the commander has summoned me to his office.
5OnH1Np.jpg
Oh, our 'revered' Commander... If the Secreta wishes a definitive end to our internal tensions, they must replace him. You should consult your Scrabal, it has been searching for you to relay a very important message I believe...
Zvhua0p.jpg
The Secreta? Why?
5OnH1Np.jpg
They are the ones who created E.Y.E and who control it, so it's up to them to restore harmony.

Suddenly, a glimpse of the future flashes in our mind's eye
h6HmYJG.jpg

A... giant?

We explore the area. Apparently EYE has combined religion and government into an unquestionable authority.
U8lntJH.jpg

We track down our Scrabal.
mln2RwN.jpg

Rv9RIzI.jpg
Good day Master! I have an urgent message for you.
Zvhua0p.jpg
Who the fuck are you?
Rv9RIzI.jpg
Come on, Master... I am your personal Scrabal Unit. I manage your business, and serve you faithfullyl. I absolutely must relay this message, it is code Red!
Zvhua0p.jpg
From who?
Rv9RIzI.jpg
Authentication confirms it was self-recorded, Master... You recorded it before your last departure. Can I transfer it to you?
Zvhua0p.jpg
Send it. I will visualize it directly!
M3XNbxA.jpg
Former self: Hello, if you are reading this message, it means that our last mission was unsuccessful... Something must have happened to us. Our memory must have been altered or destroyed, as we have foreseen. I don't know what you; Or rather what we have discovered during this mission, but we won't know it anymore. I'm going to refresh your memory so you won't make any mistakes. You... we cannot allow it. Alright, I know it must be weird to speak to oneself like this... Several months ago, Rimanah chose you to take part in his special unit. As you may remember, the Culters and Jians, brothers in the past, are currently in the middle of an unofficial and secret struggle. This struggle has calmed down because our mutual fight against the Federation has intensified, the Secreta, and therefore E.Y.E, has decided to take the ultimate step towards stealing power away from our enemy. Feel free to go to the useless Archivist if you don't remember anything concerning our organization's global history.

(If you want to read that, read the Wiki or buy the game)

M3XNbxA.jpg
I will summarize: The Federation has ruled too many worlds for too long. Our superiors from the Secreta have finally decided to launch the final attack, which will allow us to seize power from them. The Secreta is going to take advantage of the chaos caused by the Meta-streumonic force and incessant looter raids. But let's get back to talking about the Culters and Jians, as well as the team you're assigned to. This special task force was created with a single goal: destabilize and destroy the Jians. Rimanah has high expectations for you with this task. Don't be surprised, they sent us on this mission into the cave in order to find and eliminate an influential Jian mentor.

*ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED! MYSTERY SOLVED*
M3XNbxA.jpg
We are going to continue working towards this goal while maintaining the illusion of subservience. It means that we're going to continue our fight against the Federation and the force to create a veil over our activities against the Jians. Serve our commander the best you can, and mistrust your mentor. According to the time-lapse erased from your memory, everything must seem very odd, especially concerning your mentor. But trust me, or trust yourself at all costs! Our fight, our future, depends upon it.
Rv9RIzI.jpg
Scrab: The commander requests to see you, make haste and meet with him. I'm going to the armory for repairs; I took part in a mission on Mars recently.

We follow the Scrab, and it takes us past our 'revered' commander.
gxpYRuL.jpg

APCtuzK.jpg
Commander Rim: There you are, extracted from the earth as a geyser freed from its eartly mantle. Medics told me that you don't remember much. I must say you came back here with some pretty serious wounds.
Indeed, I have lost part of my life, but at least I managed to refresh a few dormant memories.
APCtuzK.jpg
We are in a delicate position since you failed your last mission (Kill Jian elder: failed). And our plans against the Jians have changed a bit.
Zvhua0p.jpg
Of course, but from what I understand, the conflict seems to be calming down.
APCtuzK.jpg
It's only calming down because our forces, alongside those of the Secreta, are presently engaged in overthrowing the Federation.
Zvhua0p.jpg
What's the situation?
APCtuzK.jpg
Our operation to overthrow the federation has begun, but I think that our superiors at the Secreta grossly underestimated the power of our enemy. The Federal counter attack is likely to be costly to our forces. Thanks to the chaos created by the Meta-streumonic force, we still hold the advantage. Additionally, the endless attacks by looters on various Federal planets have given us a moment to catch our breath.
Zvhua0p.jpg
It does seem the attacks by looters, Federals, and meta-streumonic creatures seems endless... but I'm pleased to learn that our final victory is at hand.
APCtuzK.jpg
Our mutal interest is, in fact, far removed from this pointless war... We absolutely must find a way, and above all a reason, to eliminate the Jians. At the very least, we need to weaken their power base or make them worthless in the eyes of the Secreta! You seem quite reluctant. What is going on?
Zvhua0p.jpg
You are my commander, why should I be hesitant to follow your orders.
APCtuzK.jpg
We must reach our goal at all costs. Time plays against us -- The Jians have become more and more victorious against the Federation lately!

Time to check in with the Archivist and explore Temple HQ.

79695OF.jpg

The catwalks have large gaps in them, bridged by a force field. The idea is that invaders will fail the security check at each gap, while Secreta members can come and go as they wish.

Along the way we meet Orionos, a hunter of meta-streumonic creatures.
V5cwhab.jpg

14blDVi.jpg

WGZ6ogE.jpg

Here's the archivist, but he's got fuck all to say. You'd think he'd make some more time for a senior member of E.Y.E who has just lost his memory. The information terminals can be used to read extensive logs about the history of the setting.
xbIakBk.jpg

The armory and the clinic. Here's a preview of the most useful of the weapons we can buy, and the most useful abilities we can install at the clinic. These are active abilities (which can be upgraded). Cloaking is cheap, and hella useful.
NCt0dHo.jpg

rmzg45p.jpg

M5EzZee.jpg

NlCD61f.jpg

QQ26mqb.jpg

A set of barricades blocks the industrial, firing range, and Jian section of Temple HQ off from the rest.
4yTevK3.jpg

Here's some asshole of a Jian, we'll probably kill him sooner or later.
YGKGP4L.jpg

8kcdgIQ.jpg

iEO4TdM.jpg

We stop by one of the many convenient armories to equip our newly researched medkit and pick up a few grenades, for fun.
azjpOy9.jpg

KRSEVHO.jpg

The Jians have claimed the firing range/training grounds as their home turf. This isn't the Jian HQ, just where they like to hang out while in Temple HQ.
rMWb2iz.jpg

Now, we can return to the Commander, who dispatches us on our mission.
9u1xqwY.jpg

p9EPNrv.jpg

SEbCtNw.jpg

jEhnoj5.jpg

W6yusiO.jpg

Preview:
Welcome to New Eden
wLGE5QS.jpg

After a long journey, we arrive in an industrial part of the megacity: New Eden.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I really liked the begining of the game. It's like combination of katzenjammer (hangover) and return from eastern european wedding.
Awaken somewhere, know nothing....
You could just woke up on the friggin moon, not much big deal.

Really liked throwing player in the middle of that mess, like Myth series.

thesoup

Arcane
Best game of 2011.

f76609b3bedc7e528ecffdf97e2491ff.png

:obviously:

Honestly, video would do more justice to the game's awesome gunplay.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
8kcdgIQ.jpg

Lo pan with two acolytes.... Really ? :lol:

Be careful, he has knowledge of ancient magics.

0Gm3ocE.png

P6nVvml.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've played the demo of this for a short while. I have absolutely no idea wtf is going on, but I kind of like it I guess :M

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've played the demo of this for a short while. I have absolutely no idea wtf is going on, but I kind of like it I guess :M

You fight Demon manifestations on the Terra or Terran Federation Colony Planet at the begging of the Age of Strife as a part of some Chaos Cult/Proto Inquisition; you're also proto Spehce Mehrine and possibly the psyker. Although Commissar didn't get to the part of the game when you use the warp magic. So far Commissar likes this game as it is better FPS/RPG hybrid than FNV. +M

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
Better RPG than FONV? Yeah, lolno. It's not really much of an RPG as the RPG mechanics are barebones as hell, but the gunplay sure is satisfying, with different guns each having relevant roles in the game and are useful in different situations. I cruised through half the game oneshotting everything with the 32-round shotgun, then the heavily armoured Guys in coolie hats appeared and made me swap to the minigun. Then came the giant open levels and I had to switch Again to a sniper rifle and SMG for backup. Loadout Thus requires a bit of thought and is a nice aspect of the game, with it being impossible to bring the optimal weapon for every situation.

Making an earnest attempt at finishing this now, it even takes on a borderline Hotline Miami vibe later on as the grimdarkness becomes more and more nonsensical and nutty. "Hello, I am the king of death. Please kill 27 humans for me to feast on their souls." The veiled white-clad ladies are also....odd. I believe they're hallucinations or manifestations of insanity, like the sexy nurses in Silent Hill 2. Nice guest appearance by the Doom 2 cyberdemon as well.

The "non-shit translation patch" improves the Engrish in the game a lot, but I still have Little idea about what's going on. Shouldn't have installed it halfway through the campaign, perhaps.

zwanzig_zwoelf

The veiled white-clad ladies are also....odd.
Synicle? Well, iirc, their origin is partially explained in the lore, unless I confuse it with something else.
I remember there were 3 of them on that Vindico station, you could talk to them and learn some sort of a tale. Don't remember the exact place, though.

Eyeball

Arcane
Yup, in the basement there. The abandoned Space station (Monolith) is a good example of how this game is creative - after spending hours rushing through urban areas gunning Down hundreds of soldiers and mutants, you arrive at a quiet Space station with Event Horizony signs of Slaughter on it and nothing left alive but lethal turrets which oneshot your ass unless you stealth cloak. Then in the NeXT mission, you arrive in a huge canyon level, making your earlier combat tactics useless.

Good job keeping it fresh.

One of the best things about the game.

Agreed. The dialogue would likely be rather insipid without the broken translation. It's the most delightfully weird and inaccessible game I've had the pleasure of playing in the past few years and probably was my favorite game of last year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom