Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's free Arulco in Jagged Alliance 2 - Claim your Mercs

korenzel

Educated
TABLE OF CONTENTS :

Introduction :

Intro 1 : Foreword
Intro 2 : Massacre at Omerta
Intro 3 : Browsing the Web
Intro 4 : Mercenary List

Chapter 1 : Setting up a Foothold

Update 1 : First Blood

You can participate in this LP by claiming one of the existing mercenaries of the game. You can check the Mercenary List for detailed profiles to help you choose.

Mercenaries :

A.I.M :

-Claimed

Robert James "Bee" Sullivan (Scully)
Carl "JagreenLern" Sheppards (Reaper)
Kyle "Coyote" Simmons (Shadow)
Louisa "Thor" Garneau (Buzz)
Charlene "SCO" Higgens (Raven)
Dr. Clifford "Roxorowski" Highball
Thor "JoKa" Kaufman
Fidel "Undead Phoenix" Dahan
Dr. Daniel "Azira" Quinten
Ernie "ironyuri" Spragg (Red)
Monica "Anus_Pounder" Sonderguard (Buns)
Cynthia "chzr" Guzzman (Fox)
Helmut "Spectacle" Grunther
John "GarfunkeL" Peters (Bull)
Ivan "Roderick" Dolvich
Barry "Sov" Unger
Igor "Sergiu64" Dolvich
Steve "Vaarna_Aarne" Bornell (Grizzly)
Dr. Q. "Kashmir Slippers" Huaong
Dr. Michael "TNO" Dawson

-Unclaimed

Gus Tarballs
Earl "Magic" Walker
Sheila "Scope" Sterling
Rudy "Lynx-Eyed" Roberts
Trevor Colby
Kirk "Static" Stevenson
Corporal Len Anderson
Victoria Waters
Sidney Nettleson
Ron "Raider" Higgens
Stephen Rothman
Edgar "Nails" Smorth
Ice Williams
Peter "Wolf" Sanderson
J.P. "La Malice" Viau
Frank "Hitman" Hennessy
Keith "Blood" Hanson
Dr. Donna "Spider" Houston
Bobby "Steroid" Gontarski
Norma "Meltdown" Jessop

M.E.R.C :

-Claimed

Jim "S.A." Wallace (Cougar)

Rebels :

-Unclaimed

Ira Smythe

Freelancers :

----------------------------------------------------

Welcome, to this Jagged Alliance 2 Let's Play. Since other ongoing games on the codex have gone silent, and this one ranks pretty high on my top games list, I'll do my best to do it justice and entertain with what will most likely be a very long effort.

Je0Go.jpg

I'll be playing V1.12 Gold, the last official build. Why am I not using the extensive 1.13 community mod ? Because I find it adds more detrimental than useful features. Extended equipment selection is nice, but scopes and binoculars provide too easy a way to spot enemies, and sniper rifles mow through their ranks far too easily. The improved AI makes the soldiers leave their hiding spot, making them much less dangerous, especially in buildings. The mod counters this by using very large amounts of enemies per sector, planning to overwhelm the player with numbers rather than ability or tactics. The chance-to-hit bar is a nice addition, but I prefer relying on my knowledge of the mercs abilities. The ability to have six IMP characters can give one his perfect team but also breaks the game's otherwise tight financial situation. Looting everything the soldiers have is more realistic, but breaks the economy even further. Most formulas are reworked. All in all, 1.13 is a very different game from the original, with little else than the graphics in common.

11prF.jpg

So here we are, at the starting screen. Let's browse through the options before starting up the game.

NxXjM.jpg

Here are the options used. Nothing noteworthy to speak about.

G4rln.jpg

I will be playing the game on Iron Man Experienced, because I could never master the game enough to win in Expert difficulty while playing Iron Man, and my goal is for this LP to finish and not become abandoned once I hit Alma or Cambria. I will not be playing Iron Man all the way however, and will reload if more than half of the mercs involved in a single map pass away, and try the map again.

The gun selection is set to Tons of Guns, which will give a more extended selection of guns to choose from. From my experience it doesn't add too many guns, and the default FN-FAL and C-7 remain the best weapons, but it's nice to have a little more variety.

Game Style is set to Sci Fi, and we will see what difference it makes on the game when it does.

nAv6x.jpg

As stated, Iron Man mode prevents saving during combat AND in enemy occupied sectors. This is a very important addition, since I expect most deaths to occur during real time mode, as mercs get ambushed from campers behind doors or around corners by a burst to the face.

NTLNC.jpg

Experienced difficulty is I find the best suited to me. Expert is very difficult, especially in the beginning and at the very end, and holding towns is an ordeal. I'd rather spare myself and you from reading about the hundreth time I have to manually recapture the Drassen Mine from yet another elite assault.

korenzel

Educated
D4KFw.jpg

[Rebel base in Omerta, Arulco]

HOQbz.jpg

What a nice mountainside from this tropical country. A house can be seen in the distance, and all is peaceful, quiet.

spubx.jpg

A Humvee appears along the road.

UrWx7.jpg

And ... tanks ?

NfmMg.jpg

A large mechanized attack group is headed for a small town called Omerta.

xaaAN.jpg

In there, it unleashes fire and destruction on the population.

nBQsH.jpg

Buildings are blown apart.

jZU9I.jpg

Fleeing civilians are gunned down.

flTsy.jpg

And whatever is left is bombed from the skies...

ZHDpD.jpg

[Prague, Czech Republic, 2 months later...]

P2Vit.jpg

A man walks alone in the rainy streets.

vtlDa.jpg

He enters a dark alley, while the storm is raging.

s0Py0.jpg

He then stops before a door, and arms a handgun.

58CwL.jpg

Inside the building, the Petrin Cafe, another man waits, a suitcase on the table.

J8oaa.jpg

As he sips his coffee, the previous shadowy figure enters by the back doors and joins him.

VG6BW.jpg

The man who has been waiting then begins to speak :

[enrico] : I was... happy to hear you have decided to take the assignment. No doubt your inquiries have shown that I, Enrico Chivaldori, speak the truth.

jYhBa.jpg

[enrico] : In the past ten years, since killing my father and framing me, my wife has inflicted great suffering upon my people.

U4nQE.jpg

[enrico] : Those that may be of value to her are imprisoned, beaten and tortured. The old, the sick, even infants with birth defects are removed swiftly from the population... Now, it is time to remove her.

CQWLA.jpg

[enrico] : I have brought the money you requested. It is everything I have, however Arulco is full of gold and silver and you might be able to convince the miners to help us in the struggle.

ME9RK.jpg

[enrico] : There also exists a small but determined rebel movement. They are lead by a man named Miguel Cordona. If you can locate Miguel, I have written a letter for you to give him, I believe he will accept you and prove to be an invaluable ally.

5P0lG.jpg

[enrico] : I wish you luck, my friend.

K5bAU.jpg

Now alone, the mysterious stranger opens up a laptop...

korenzel

Educated
v1Dj4.jpg

This mercenary starts his work the same way I do, by checking his mail.

17t8R.jpg

It seems the meeting we just witnessed wasn't the first our two men had.

y6hJz.jpg

Further correspondence, but all on day one. This man said he needed a few days.

mt8h1.jpg

We also acquired some information on the country of Arulco.

8tocP.jpg

The message that sealed the deal.

NKeig.jpg

As every modern email account, ours has spam too. Here we have some advertisement for a profiling service.

7sQna.jpg

It even comes with a discount and a secret activation code!

GRHZj.jpg

Let's check our bookmarks, shall we ? The first on the list is AIM, for Association of International Mercenaries.

aeG5R.jpg

Among the links of this site, is BobbyRay's Guns and Things, currently under construction.

EZGIU.jpg

There is also McGillicutty's Mortuary.

vZq6D.jpg

And an insurance company website.

tspTy.jpg

Let's start by browsing the AIM site. By choosing to see the members, we are given an assortment of sorting options.

kbvDY.jpg

And are then taken to an extensive list of forty mercenary profiles.

jA2FF.jpg

Each of them has a number of features, including detailed stats, price, gear and biography.

K8LMI.jpg

Considering the prices involved, let's read the policies first before committing any money.

YrmIQ.jpg

This site seems like a hiring proxy of sorts. We will be the employer. The forces used to kill Deidranna, Arulco's Queen, will be hired from there.

sB7ap.jpg

Length of engagement varies between one and fourteen days, with discount prices on extended durations. The amount of discount varies between mercenaries and can be seen in their profiles.

6IFDF.jpg

Not hot zone drops are allowed, so an area has to be secured before any mercenary can arrive.

22kLU.jpg

Mercenaries can refuse to renew or extend their contract, something we will have to keep in mind.
Keeping them happy and providing them with an advance schedule is important to ensure their stay.

PsQhP.jpg

They are payed in dollars. This is a bad thing, since the bills Enrico gave don't look like any US currency.

CRuQ9.jpg

We are ensured the mercenaries will stay the full length paid for, whatever their mood or morale.

gLtp7.jpg

We can also dismiss mercenaries, but there is no mention of a refund in such cases.

lvibI.jpg

The optional gear seen in the mercenary profile belongs to us as soon as the mercenary arrives on site.

6aCID.jpg

Each mercenary may have a medical deposit attached to his contract, in which case healing them up before they leave is important to get a full refund.

eNGNE.jpg

This site seems rather shady, let's have a look at the provided history.

eAiNz.jpg

Ahh, so they are responsible for the liberation of Metavira.

8xsf1.jpg

It seems they were some government secret agency of sorts, before becoming public.

SxvRn.jpg

Colonel Mohanned's words sound truthful, the mercenaries listed show high skill.

FiExd.jpg

If we had access to a stock exchange website, it would be wise to invest in AIM with such a steady growth. Eight percent per month is huge. Alas, we will have to find our money elsewhere.

ulIPv.jpg

The mortuary site is also under construction, but links to a floral delivery service.

48CvY.jpg

They offer useful packages for everyday situations.

NHAdK.jpg

The prices are a little steep though, but they do deliver anywhere.

jTvA5.jpg

The selection is pretty good too.

iMo74.jpg

We may send one bouquet of "You loathe some" to Deidranna as advance notice, we'll see.

ugcwm.jpg

As mentioned, the Mortuary site is still under construction.

Fw5XT.jpg

The insurance broker is recommended by one of the top AIM mercs.

o8gGA.jpg

They provide a way to cut on the costs of mercenaries who die or are otherwise incapacitated before their contract expire.

Vcwo4.jpg

The refund can however take a little while, while the case is investigated.

tt0Rb.jpg

Premium rates are not mentioned though, and seem to be on a per-case basis.

DsUKX.jpg

The less casualties we suffer, the lesser the premium we have to pay, that's good.

Iwx7S.jpg

We can't ensure people who stay for only one day, too bad.

pS1W1.jpg

Reviewing the rate is also impossible as long as we don't have any hiree.

zsqyl.jpg

Finally, let's see what the IMP site is about. An Institute for Mercenary Profiling ?

vefF7.jpg

We will not be making use of their services.

YgRQu.jpg

Browsing the computer file, the report on Arulco is found.

GTSCd.jpg

It's a rather small country, with only ten cities but has two airports and medical facilities.
The country must indeed be very rich.

z6ebC.jpg

Two infantry divisions are the forces we are expected to find on site. That's more than twenty thousand soldiers, this assignment won't be easy.

Hps7w.jpg

The country is confirmed to be rich in mineral deposits, following Enrico's advice and convincing the miners sounds like a good idea.

FELxR.jpg

Interestingly, Miguel Cordona, the rebel leader, is a descendant of previous kings.

WEMta.jpg

No detailed information is known about Deidranna's origins.

s7BzN.jpg

The country is in shambles and Deidranna's stocking up on weapons.

fZpRB.jpg

Our employer is reported dead, but could have escaped as his body was never identified.

3u8cz.jpg

This concludes the background of our future mission in Arulco.

JoKa

Cipher
I claim Thor, having someone of high intellect on board is always prudent :obviously:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Reaper seems more valuable than Buns. I'm fine with either choosing someone else or waiting until you can afford a 2nd team.

EDIT : Holy shit. Aren't you Korenzel of UFO TFTD Fame? Serious :incline: of LPDex.

chzr

Scholar
can you make a list of claimed/unclaimed mers on the top? scrolling is derp

also, fox

Roderick

Savant
I claim Ivan Dolvich, preferably working with his nephew Igor as the "I team"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom