Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's get rather hungry! Again! Faery Tale Adventure II: Halls of the Dead LP

mondblut

Arcane
I tried to restart it about a year ago, but windows version crashes at reading books and stuff. Do you run dos in dosbox or is it fixed somehow?

One of the most beautiful games visually. Forget the shades of shit in Fallout or travelling over jpegs in IE.

:hmmm:

Where you guys were earlier? I have already got butthurt over the fact, that only Crooked Bee's auto-reply bot bothered to bump this thread, so I crammed the rest of the game into one update, intending to end it with something like "completed before page two r00fles!". So, uhm, guess I'll return to the normal update schedule then..? :oops:

Ok, seriously, you aren't actually transcribing them by hand, are you? Because that would be just daft (since you can open SCRIPTS.HRS and Ctrl+F the text you want, e.g. searching for "well known for his honor as a thief" gets you that story etc.). Ehem.
Well fucketh me... Ia redumb.

I tried to restart it about a year ago, but windows version crashes at reading books and stuff. Do you run dos in dosbox or is it fixed somehow?
Dosboxing it all the way.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, excuse me if I don't have time to read LPs every day...

Do what thou wilt; post it all in one update if you're already written it... or spread it out and add moar text now that you know how... Up to your Mousiness.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yay stacks of loot.

Again, If find myself like the aesthetic of this game. Tacky-ass castles not withstanding.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well I'm selfish enough to say I'd rather you continued to do this LP the proper way, even if I'm gonna be the only bot person reading it. :P

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Great LP, but neer once did you show a spell being cast, not even icicle.

I tried to play this, but found the starting town so fucking boring I perma-quit.

Is combat turnbased?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wait the game is nearly done? Huh. I hope the endboss is as buggy as the last one.

Great LP, but neer once did you show a spell being cast, not even icicle.
Butbutbut I did! It's just that there isn't much to see.

Nvjvm.png

That's how most AoE spells look. Color changes depending on what element you use.

H1XNP.png

And that's how cone spells look like. Icicle looks kinda like a smaller version of this.

Is combat turnbased?
:rpgcodex:
I've covered this too. RTwPish, but you can't pause it manually. A bit like Eschalon series, but clunkier and harder to have precise control. Not that it needed... :roll:
When monster attacks one of our bros, combat mode is activated. Whilst in this mode, the game is paused if selected character has nothing to do. Whenever you attack, cast spell or do just about anything else, the game goes back to real-time. Notice that if you want to hit your enemy with some ranged spell before it comes close, you better hurry the fuck up, because combat mode is not activating before someone is getting hit.
Overall, I'd say it is clunky as fuck to be honest.

Wait the game is nearly done?
Not really, we only have 1/3 of golden apples and 1/7 of tapstones, but as they say, brevity is the soul of wit :troll:

Part V: A time to gather stones

Ok, so last time we were exploring the Amber Castle interior, where we defeated a huge firebreathing reptile.

b5k8O.png

Just outside of the castle, there is a cave.

1aygR.png

A mine to be precise. And it's full of angry dorfs!

yw1Tn.png

They hit pretty hard, so we try not to get into melee too often.

M2CIs.png

Notice the icicles :roll:

0b7RK.png

Second floor has even more dwarfs.

HuV7s.png

But hey, I don't mind, they leave a lot of gems behind.

Yy4tP.png

09hDc.png

Third floor has a pair of Dragonskin Boots for everyone, conveniently placed there by some mysterious force. These boots grant protection from fire, which will prove useful shortly.

P5HCy.png

Fourth floor is a home for all sorts of creatures of a fiery nature.

4y2w5.png

It even has a lava lake.

RIyMc.png

This time we don't need a Rose to walk on lava though.

38dm2.png

That's what Dragonskin Boots are for :smug:

ytwou.png

6J1Pp.png

Another tapstone to add to our collection.

BO7ji.png

E7Sct.png

On our way back we run into this guy.

7AP1u.png

:incline:

Mines a cleared, moving out.

6fMkz.png

pXtqL.png

Guess we'll go south this time.

0KvI6.png

This will be enough to satisfy all our consumer needs for the rest of the game.

cQpJR.png

Welcome to the jungles of Hatak. It can be a harsh place if you're not strong enough.

IO2fO.png

Venomous spiders will try to poison you at every opportunity. Although I'm not sure what poison does, except for changing one's portrait.

Nhd11.png

These green monsters will give you a hard time with their massive HPs and all.

VKj7p.png

Not to mention hordes of lizardmen guarding the ruins of an ancient civilization.

5lMNa.png

gWrzS.png

...fungus dank and gemstone glow,
His might expands, his minions grow.

In cavern deep, in crevice maze,
This Thief in night does sap and raze.

yh6Xo.png

f8s3K.png

qMg1F.png

1dEH5.png

E7fhJ.png

:eek: Wrong button!

SCU38.png

Another button opens a secret passage.

huvOg.png

Hey, look, a Tapstone!

Fl2pi.png

D1YQG.png

Well, we're not attacking him yet, but I remember reading that he has some magical sword, so we'll probably end up killing him anyway. He also guards this Tapstone, which technically makes him evil, so our actions are justified.

K7qNS.png

THE BEST SPELL EVER. It will be especially useful when we'll get into
HALLS OF THE DEAD DUN DUN DUUUNNNN

f7mll.png

It's just like that book said, amazing.

wSwN6.png

We go back to the starting village to learn some new spells.

fKgLa.png

KOuY7.png

:roll:

From there we proceed in a general west direction.

:kfc:

5CNFB.png

It doesn't take long for us to walk into the decadent city of Darnoc.

ugRN2.png

plHdy.png

...here.
Damn the rumors! If he is allied with the Lord of Order, his flesh is still mannish, and like any man's, it may be pierced.
We must strike now, for every day we wait, we give one more day that another fright may appear when the morning mist recedes.
Join together and dispose this overlord!
So long as there is breath, there is hope!

: x

2f5h8.png

...you think that Sariloth will allow us to remain untouched, even though we appear in no danger at present? Do not be so naive. Sariloth will not rest until every living thing is under his power. He has placed a tapstone in each land to drain it of its very essence. It will not be long before he finds a way to do the same with Wildevarr. We cannot just resign our fate to those three steeds. Let us join forces and stop Sariloth before it is too late.
Signed,
Anonymous

tV3B1.png

Hey, free armour.

5rfen.png

XGCfb.png

...and Captain Hans Gelbard (a swashbucking ladies man). The goal of the attack was to steal the magical Emerald Crown - (A device said to give it's wearer immunity to mental attacks). After a massive battle which left a hundred or so guards and pirates dead, Captain Roger and Captain Gelbard were victorious. The two boarded their ships and started to set sail, when Captain Roger suddenly opened fire on Gelbard's ship and crew, blowing them to bits and pieces. Naturally, Captain Roger could not share his new found toy with anyone else, and gleefully slew his own crew, and sailed off towards Maldavith. Rumor has it he is hidden somewhere in the Lost Caves in Maldavith. Rumor also has it, that Captain Gelbard can still be seen on his ruined ship, anchored off the coast of Darnok.

BhLwp.png

N0jiN.png

A haunted palace :eek:

nrJpn.png

...happiness that would come to their lives in the year ahead...
But the Mist came.
It rolled off the heavens and flowed with the currents of the Maldav Sea to the open windows of the homes of Darnok. Breathed in while sleeping, no man, woman, or child could safeguard himself from this midnight viper. It coated memories with its gray dust, slicked vows with its oily fog, and wrought hearts limp with cold indifference. Mingled with blood and soul, it fouled all that it touched.
And the Mist stayed, swirling in hideous eddies. It formed a shadow fortress that jelled into solid rock. And soon after that, its gates swung wide for the wizard Roska. He thundered through the land to take his seat in his awful fortress. He brought his hate, his foul heart, and his legion of horrors. All went from the black battlements to bleed the land and its people.

Xsh2A.png

...for space with light. Forces of good and evil constantly battle for supremacy. People vacillate between their loves and hates, attractions and aversions, desires and repulsions... ...and yet, none of these things would exist without its opposite.
Consider the existence of Sariloth and Thorolis. Long have they battled, each trying to institute his own nature as the standard for all. Sariloth is lord over Rigid Order, while Thorolis promotes Chaos at every turn.
Sariloth would have everything in its proper order. Absolute cause and effect ratio. Controlled. Reliable. Measurable. Same as the last time. Everything's fine. No problem.
Thorolis would have us thrown at the mercy of Chance. Unsure. Unknown. Maybe. Maybe not. That didn't happen last time. How on earth? Wasn't that supposed to...? I had no idea! That's news to me.
Each believes his way to be the best way. Each thinks that his solution is right. And so, they battle as they have for time immemorial. Do they not know that without Chaos there is no Order? Without uncertainty there can be no clarity to reach? Lean two objects against each other and they will support themselves even though they push against each other. Without the other, each would come crashing to the ground.
Therefore, why be disappointed when things do not come out as we planned? Pleasure and pain, joy and sadness, hero and villain, sickness and health, life and death...all of these are but different aspects of the one Unity that permeates all existence.
Rise above the Duality of creation, and be an observer of this play of light and shadow. Just behind it lies the Omnipresent Oneness that watches us, smiling upon our folly, and waiting patiently for our Awakening.

I wish to express my gratitude to CappenVarra :salute:

OC75F.png

Meh. But we'll get some spells just because.

CMXaH.png

WZCkT.png

4lu9g.png

Remember the tale of the creation of Magic? Since I know you have trouble remembering what tavern you stumbled out of last night, let me refresh you...
When Sentiffin stole some of the Elements' essence for that first spell, all but the Ice Para-Elemental lost their heads in a rage. Ice was the only one that held firm (quite literally, I might add). It bided its time, and planned its revenge against that thieving wizard.
And when their trap was sprung, all the power of water and heat that Ice stored fueled the attacks of the other Elements. Sentiffin was gobbled up, and people had learned that they had better respect the Elements, because the Elements certainly don't respect people.
Whoever is responsible for the Blight knows what I know. The icy caves of Mons hold a key to the Blight. I guarantee it. Whoever thinks otherwise is about as bright as a noontime shadow, as soft as a virgin's rump, and as drunk as a brother of mine.
Sylyryn
PS- And oh yes, eat worms and die...

7K7Gm.png

This city sure has a lot of ghosts.

CXFkQ.png

Running around Darnoc is great and all, but we need to find Roska's tower, so we go outside.

0gr0P.png

We explore yet another cave in the process.

hiUab.png

Enemies here are fairly strong.

n3lAM.png

:rage:

I haven't saved in a while.

1Gqrq.png

Staff of Life helps though :smug:

dmTTC.png

P99sn.png

Looks like we've wandered too far into the north. Turning back south.

AeV7t.png

4gGb1.png

SNNBn.png

QbMSZ.png

That's better.

Bcqwx.png

mH23N.png

:what:

We'll get to this device later.

YG4ni.png

jZHHW.png

:flamesaw:

vh2NI.png

He seems to be immune to our spells.

Mwso9.png

But iron - cold iron - is master of them all :salute:

OG26D.png

LenjQ.png

Though currently in the East, tending to another agent's desires, and slated to visit the second agent in the south following, he shall immediately thereafter visit you. Your patience has been well noted.
He looks forward to answering all of your questions regarding Irastikaan personally.
Sincerely,
Lord Thebe
High Priest of the Cult of Sariloth

7RkXc.png

Well, apparently nothing can be done about this thing, so we'll just leave it there. Let's get back to that spell-spamming device.

H007q.png

WaRpD.png

Running past it gets us into the basement.

Yjili.png

CQJxU.png

:yeah:

Taking this Tapstones leads to a power outage.

jHs5S.png

FOrlL.png

:desu:

c2XDq.png

NNIT8.png

This looks like a good place to take a break.

To summarize, we now have 2 Golden Apples and 4 Tapstones. This leaves us with 1 apple, 3 stones and 15603 more screenshots to go through.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
When the power went out in that palace, could you then do something to Roska's heart? Stick some pointy needles in it or something? :troll:

Nope, it appears to be one of those unfinished quest items. But while googling for it ( :oops: ) I've found this:
31) Are there any bugs to be aware of?
Yes. There is a bug in the magic system. Do not allow a brother to reach a mana level above 255, or the game could crash when that brothers portrait is selected. This is the only 'known' bug released by the programmers. And no, as of now there is no plan for a patch to fix this.
That's why I'll be using swords much more often in next screenshots. Great way to prevent grinding, isn't it?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
You're welcome :salute:

The books still crack me up, I mean:
Sariloth would have everything in its proper order. Absolute cause and effect ratio. Controlled. Reliable. Measurable. Same as the last time. Everything's fine. No problem.
Thorolis would have us thrown at the mercy of Chance. Unsure. Unknown. Maybe. Maybe not. That didn't happen last time. How on earth? Wasn't that supposed to...? I had no idea! That's news to me.
And when their trap was sprung, all the power of water and heat that Ice stored fueled the attacks of the other Elements. Sentiffin was gobbled up, and people had learned that they had better respect the Elements, because the Elements certainly don't respect people.
Whoever is responsible for the Blight knows what I know. The icy caves of Mons hold a key to the Blight. I guarantee it. Whoever thinks otherwise is about as bright as a noontime shadow, as soft as a virgin's rump, and as drunk as a brother of mine.
:lol:

Also, I give you the codex in a nutshell:

Part VI: Golden Brown

Having dealt with Roska, our party of brave bros is ready to set forth towards the south-western shore of Farr.

9PF8s.png

As I've mentioned earlier, from now on we're (mostly) going to fight like a real men do, with a sword in one hand, a shield in the other one and an infinite scorn in our hearts. Kevin's ice magic level is over 200 already!

oM1vd.png

Imps can do some very impressive fireworks.

NSyQU.png

2cfrj.png

Ugh, fighting without magic takes a lot of time.

iZTME.png

Slow and steady we are marching along the seashore.

NwVMC.png

Y47MI.png

JCbpF.png

After a long and rather uneventful journey we came to a lighthouse.

qgC7J.png

KJbwB.png

verWs.png

Enemies here are kinda scary.

rdCdx.png

So scary in fact, that we're forced to employ some magic. Julian hasn't developed his magic skills too much, so it's not that dangerous actually.

I4JMf.png

3iAem.png

gt6Z8.png

Tempest, huh? I don't remember reading about this sword.

Lpiw4.png

The prospect of fighting all those oozes again doesn't really appeal to me, so we'll just make Kevin invisible (best spell ever, remember?), run past all enemies...

InwEm.png

...and once outside, teleport the other two brothers with another nice spell, Rejoin.

h7Cdy.png

Them pirates :codexisfor:

1d5a3.png

Pirates won't attack us with this thing.

nHYor.png

We finally found another settlement.

Olh5G.png

GQLeV.png

c4wrX.png

Is there rhyme (or cacophony) or reason (or fallacy) to his slight (or purposed) memory?

XsdJ8.png

V7PlX.png

...under Gretmar Island.
He is said to wield the magic sword Tempest (a powerful weapon that casts lightning bolts at it's foes!)
May the Gods be with you in your quest for him.

iSvwm.png

:roll:

TGrl0.png

BwdUK.png

Challenge accepted :salute: Let's go find a pirate den.

BcETF.png

:eek:

Wrong cave.

5kr21.png

:bro:

AYtl2.png

aZBAq.png

Lotsa pirates in this cave, must be the place.

NhT3W.png

faE2F.png

SRjT5.png

Uh-oh, a cutscene!

tL2m4.png

AuoBP.png
You're no match for me. Yield to me or perish...

zdKSe.jpg

gLxHX.png

AuoBP.png
Excellent. Your talents will be useful. But first, you must tell me everything about your Vault.
NQDT3.png
Damage Taken (23123)
AuoBP.png
Now, prepare for the metamorphosis. Trust me, you won't feel a thing...
NQDT3.png
Damage Taken (923943)
AuoBP.png
You are now becoming the Darkwarrior that you always wanted to be.
NQDT3.png
Damage Taken (5325123)
AuoBP.png
Hahahaha! Your soul is mine! And now you will serve me 'til you wither and die!

Same thing happens to Julian and Kevin.

ZnaqJ.png

GuM2Q.png

THE END :salute:

:excellent:

But that's not what really happened.

C2qSz.png

AuoBP.png
Such carnage...such bloodshed...This could've all been avoided if you made the right decision. Now you'll have eternity to regret your choice...

sPGAf.png

This calls for a heavy spellcastan.

MjGUj.png

Easy.

E8AJ4.png

4VpwN.png

AZmkK.png

...decided to go to the island and make it into a paradise, there to live and conduct their occult experiments. These wizards combined their knowledge and power and created a mysterious Bubble of Protection, through which none but the wizards could pass. At the end of ten years, the Bubble dissipated and, lo, a warm golden glow emanated from the transformed island.
Wondrous stories soon reached Farr. It is said that the wizards had combined the power of crystals into a new energy source that did everything for them. It ran the looms and tilled the soil. It brought heat in the winter and cooled them in summer. This new energy gave the wizards everything they could wish for. The wizards soon grew fat and lazy, and were quite content to let their magic do their work for them.
However, the wizards soon began to use up the magical crystals, until all that was left were small shards of the wondrous stones. One night, one of the wizards, a particularly thick character, decided to fuse a great many of the shards together in an attempt to make one huge stone, and thus extend their life of leisure. Cruel folly, for his attempt caused the crystal shards to explode with a force that ripped a hole through the middle of the island. Horror grasped the wizards as they realized that their beloved island was sinking into the sea. Vainly, they climbed to the highest peaks of the island and shouted their incantations and spells to the sky, using all of the magic skill at their disposal to reverse the inevitable. Alas, the island sank, awash in a cleansing white foam that lapped at the land until it disappeared beneath the briny blue.
While there is no proof that these events actually took place, the legend of Tamnath remains one of the most popular among the people of Farr, and to this day, whenever a mysterious or unusual object washes ashore, there is always speculation that it may have had its origin in that long-lost land of wonder.

have i mentioned CappenVarra yet?

JOm83.png

...something to truly fear! Bring the 'uneasy' before me. I'll be sure to 'rest' all fear...
What of Tamnath, fool!?! There is booty uncountable there! Fail me in finding it and I promise that you will suffer dearly.
-Muybridge

8mHD8.png

...similar end. What was once a rarity is now commonplace. With their numbers increasing in these parts, I wonder if the rumor about the Land Leech connected to them might be true.
Should we delve into the caves to discover the truth?
I ask only because the men are uneasy. They fear their souls may not be safe. Rumors swirl, Lord. They must be answered, yea or nay.
Your humble servant,
Toade

pqm9G.png

Before going back and sailing to Tamnath we'll explore the mainland a bit more.

xXy9U.png

Iv7hC.png

Elves! Why the fuck do they always live in trees?

l9Ef3.png

JJAqw.png

These narrow passages were made for stucking.

GPlTq.png

...cleansing of a shower,
The sunset that doth please, the wafting of a breeze,
All of life will soon subside, and in the evil Tapstones abide.
All that we hold dear, all that we think grand
Will soon be a tool for his evil plan.
The moon of night, the light of day,
All will soon be drained away
Trapped in tapstones, never freed
Until released by mighty deed.
Therefore, noble people, treasure this day.
Draw it near and hold it fast,
For unless we see this evil stopped
Each breath you draw could be the last.

Song of :decline:

KAmcM.png

Looking good.

nyAOa.png

Well, duh.

MdTbp.png

...King Thorl Owmsbutt of Clan Pumice brought his people across the Waste to Bronsheim, they found many such Seeds. Exhausted and hungered (cursed, the Waste always takes longer to cross then expected), they took rocks and stones and swords to the Seeds, but every blow only chipped the shell.
Delirious from the heat, the Curse controlling their minds, the dwarves refused to go on. The haven of Bronsheim Hall was hopeless - a dream and nothing more.
King Owmsbutt saw his people stop. He climbed the Altmound at the foot of the Red Waste and spoke to them. He told them that the Waste would be crossed but only by those with Hope.
Bah, said his people, Hope cannot fill one's stomach. It's a meal for fools.
The King answered them: No. It can beat any foe, solve any puzzle and feed any mouth.
They grumbled as dwarves do and challenged him: So break open these Seeds with this Hope. Feed this desperate company.
Over their scoffs, he replied: Let this silence your doubting tongues!
And King Owmsbutt raised his hammer. With a mighty wail he brought his hammer down upon the Seed with a streak. The ground shook, the sky wailed, and a thunderclap was heard as far as the Overworld.
The Seed was split. Within, delicious fruit sat, and each dwarf took his fill.
They finished the journey to Bronsheim. The Waste claimed no dwarf, for the King was right: Despair can be broken.
The Line of King Owmsbutt carries hammers even today.

Alright, alright. Despair - broken. Got it.

FeZLG.png

Finns? In mah games?

gkWLR.png

Sorted our quest items.

BkRF9.png

V5zZI.png

56X4G.png

nqaof.png

qgs5H.png

:desu:

wrQ1L.png

So this is the Dark Elves cave.

6psFX.png

Elves are not hostile, but Fire Wisps are.

DlOmI.png

This cave has a puzzle, that could have been kinda hard to crack.

miswp.png

You see, there is a web that prevents us from going deeper into the cave. Strangely enough, the only way to get rid of it is to assemble a Webcutter from various parts that can be found inside the cave.

WOi6B.png

Never before has there been a need to combine items, so that's why this puzzle can be considered hard.

3mw6O.png

But this book...

IgUvH.png

So yeah :roll:

QzHkR.png

Qb7bX.png

It works! Let's see where this passage will take us.

BKozh.png

e5gvt.png

Just like Roska, he is immune to our spells, but we are used to swinging swords by now.

Ilx8F.png

3/3 apples, would icicle again.

79Bum.png

In response to your query, the agent to your West and the agent to your East have been performing well overall. I have seen to it myself that there shall be no further complications. We regret that there was any confusion or inconvenience.
Regarding the forest elves, I wouldn't have much more worry. The Blight has sapped so much of their strength, I doubt they'll venture much outside their treetown.
Regarding the extra-planars, forces have been allocated to deal with this threat. Worry not.
Continue your outstanding work, and continue to uphold Order. The coming Age of Order will see you a wealthy and powerful ally.
Should you need anything, you know where I may be found.
Sincerely,
Lord Thebe
High Priest of the Cult of Sariloth

hDYnn.png

Ijn2W.png

Another stone of great power was entrusted to me, for Maldavith.
Morgalla's a fool; she snoops and causes trouble with the Artificers.
Other wizards will see the light of my power.
Only Sartian himself could wrest the power from me... I've made sure of that!

Sartian, remember this name.

7Tab9.png

OqYNn.png

In the next room we meet this dude.

R7tMC.png

We haven't seen a book about this sword yet, and to tell you the truth, we never will. But by the powers granted to me by CappenVarra (alert CappenVarra month came early this year) I present you this:

The Legend of HellRazor
Somewhere deep in the hidden Dark Elf caves resides Mordekai Master of the Snakes.
Mordekai was once a high-priest in the Dark-Elf community, who ruled all of reptiles in in the Forests of Hethrallin. During his reign, he forged a terrible weapon, known as HellRazor.
A wicked sword which spits out deadly blasts of fire at its victims, causing them great pain.
After years of tyranny, Mordekai grew old and feeble. The Dark Elves showed their sympathy for their once-great leader by locking him and Venom up somewhere deep below Hethrallin in the Dark-Elf Underworld.

Yes, it says 'Venom'.

CUQcU.png

A Tapstone that for some reason we cannot take yet.

JrowU.png

Let's try to use this on a Tapstone, shall we?

HmOpO.png

Part VII: Halls of the Derp

After paying a visit to the local dunmer tribe, our party is ready to set sail towards the mysterious island of Tamnath.

k8wI8.png

But this time we won't travel back to the port city on foot, oh no.

bIQTm.png

See these moongates obelisks?

SnjZ8.png

With the help from Tesseract Key, we can open a portal to another dimension, which will allow us to travel long distances in no time.

iHgVC.png

Wish I knew this earlier :mad:

Yvvs6.png

wRb2q.png

2QcM2.png

Q7LyX.png

Rv2o7.png

So here we are on Tamnath.

SlIfJ.png

It's not as majestic as I expected.

N6Wtp.png

It has a pair of waterpools and that's about it.

DLEIs.png

These pools are even worse then elven settlements in terms of pathfinding.

e6WtG.png

We hit some switches and the pools are drained!

2o3YX.png

68b03.png

That's what we came here for.

4j6TD.png

fCeFy.png

Only one stone left!

SL7YI.png

The last stone is hidden somewhere far to the north, so it seems to be a good idea to wear warm clothes.

cM7RU.png

WWPit.png

Looks like we've missed. Eh, I wanted to visit starting village anyway.

WWnbq.png

This is where it all began, and this is where it ends!

IdeOp.png

pu58Z.png

Halls of the Dead™ are just a few steps away :salute:

w3O5T.png

L2Gf3.png

FufHk.png

zNgIZ.png

Ghosts are coming at us faster than we can deal with them :eek:

hshsk.png

Ve2CM.png

...your craft and might. Be especially wary of anyone who possesses one or more of the Tapstones. Although they pose no greater threat, for all seven tapstones are necessary to gain entrance to the Rock, knowledge of the importance of these tapstones could be dangerous in the hands of a brash and foolhardy mortal. These, above all, must not be allowed to leave the Halls of the Dead alive.
In you, I place my trust. Do not disappoint me, lest you feel my wrath.
Sariloth

Booh! So we need all the stones after all.

JsIcf.png

We'll use a free coach pass (that we got way back in the first update) to travel north.

8iYTf.png

Well, here we are!

KBHmk.png

It sure is cold here.

W32pV.png

865Bj.png

I wonder why this cave's entrance is different from the others :roll:

ONQaz.png

his16.png

Frost Giants hit hard and can cast some spells, but nothing to be afraid of.

p5BJB.png

NN1xC.png

At first I was like

But then I was like

The stone is frozen, so we can't take it. Fireballs are no use here. And there doesn't seem to be anything in this cave that can help us. Well, let's explore other caves then.

0IZXD.png

I see...

4s7TY.png

...again and again,
Hardened by heartache, a weight none could bear,
O most tortured souls, what sin put thee there?

'Twas ne'er a man sunk so deep he could not be thrown a rope,
Nor any darkness not made to shine by one small ray of Hope.
The Hope thou seeketh lies within, O Misery Manifest.
Use Courage as thy weapon -- before thee lies the test!
Chip away at life's defeats, with hardship thee must cope
And if thou dost, revealed within is thine own Object of Hope.

Use this Object, make it strong to crack thy hardened shell.
Feed thy Hope with smiles of Joy to free thee from thy cell
Send Hope throughout the Universe and past the farthest star,
Fly faster than a Stargate, more powerful thee are!
Heal thyself! Once more be free, O Rock of deep Despair!
Thy prison thou hath made thyself. No sin hath cast thee there.

0uaaW.png

This cave just has to be significant.

wRGFG.png

Is that a hammer I see?

tSMis.png

Indeed it is!

JIQl4.png

BAM

ra9zZ.png

This is it, we are going full speed towards the GRAND FINALE!

NixLj.png

As you can see I've sent Kevin into Halls of the Dead™ alone. And made him invisible :troll:

fq02W.png

mlksM.png

Rock of Despair. It can be broken.

qRN84.png

And break it did.

ajyit.png

It's so easy being invisible, it feels almost like cheating.

hL76U.png

This is a Stargate that we must restore using Object of Hope.

Lluza.png

But what is this? Kevin can't access inventory while other two bros are away! Wtf, game?

qQxcW.png

So he summons them and restores this Stargate.

qKL6j.png

Ghosts start attacking us, but we jump into a portal and wave them goodbye.

x0KxT.png

o9zSv.png
Grant us the gifts of the chaos gods, great one!
j1QVF.jpg
Your desire will take you further...but you will fall to Sariloth's might without my help. So now I give you a token -- a drop of my blood, a nugget of uncertainty, a piece of pure Chaos. So long as you hold it, the Duke of Right shall not clothe the universe in ice, for my tattered cloak will warm it by chance. Guard it with your life, for should this token fall into Order's hands, it will die forever, overwhelmed by his rigid control. Then, races will by won by the swift, wars by the strong, and mortals will tremble at the whims of the gods -- the hearts of men will beat still and unfeeling forevermore. So go now and face him. Go with hope and go with strength. Fare you well.
o9zSv.png
Oh Lord of the Dice, we will capture it, for KAYOHS!

F6yOD.png

3NANA.jpg

JVghZ.png

I left Julian and Phillip on the astral plane, so Kevin is on his own again.

QyrE6.png

This building has a few locked doors that we need to open.

bwXzn.png

GpiGF.png

Hitting the switch opens one of the doors, so it's doesn't take long to open them all.

v6zio.png

This takes us to another building.

pWiUS.png

oKvKU.png

More closed doors.

4jC71.png

And more switches.

a5XQl.png

edre4.png

:smug:

oy5WU.png

Can you guess what must be done here? :roll:

jhwFV.png

And as we place the last stone...

pdecG.png

Of course we'll join him :hug:

And with that we get the PRISONER OF ICE ending!

:salute:

But we can do better!

pdecG.png

o9zSv.png
FUK U
1xN3c.png
You might have become an Eternal, but now you will die a slow, agonizing death. If Luck is on your side, no amount of it will save you now.

atyu8.png

zh9Eh.png

Sariloth just stays there doing nothing. I love Invisibility THIS MUCH.

SyuIL.png

And just as Sariloth goes down, CHAOS UNDIVIDED ending kicks in:

Still not good enough.

NGOaz.png

We decline Sariloth's offer once again and summon the other two bros to aid Kevin.

Unfortunately, during combat one of the brothers TOTALLY ACCIDENTALLY (yeah right) dies :cry:

X6Ae9.png

This time we don't want to kill Sariloth though. We want to use a Chaos Orb on him instead!

1xN3c.png
No! Fool! This is going to change everything! Order must be preserved. Take it back! You have undone all my plans. A new age dawns!

You can now enjoy the NEVER FORGET ending:

Much better, but there is still a room for improvement, isn't it?

oy5WU.png

BTUoJ.png
This is Kevin, proceed with the plan "Deicide", over.
jPyeM.png
This is Julian, engaging target, over.

2L3ZV.png

O000B.png

It isn't necessary but what the hell :roll:

Q35O3.png
This is Phillip, target's down, over.
BTUoJ.png
This is Kevin, activating Rejoin spell, over.

kk0rU.png

This time we're using Chaos Orb again and all the brothers are staying alive.

1xN3c.png
No! Fool! This is going to change everything! Order must be preserved. Take it back! You have undone all my plans. A new age dawns!
FJrgP.png
BROs! The net's going... The net's going black, BROs! No more infolinks, transmissions of any kind. We'll start again, live in villages! If you receive this, if you survive, then find us... find us!

This LP is now officially over.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
All screenshots appear as broken links for me (403 - Forbidden). Maybe You've exceeded the bandwidth limit or something? Or maybe it's something wrong with my pc.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Wow, that's some serious ending variance :P

Well, congrats on your LP (and remember to always check the game files before transcribing) :salute:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gotta dig that ending variance but yeah, the game overall did not look too good.

Well done procrastinor.

Stumbled upon an interview from about a year ago with David Joiner, who made the first FTA game and was leading the team behind the second game. He seems to be quite a wacky guy. Here is a bit about FTA2:

Q: Were you happy with the Halls of the Dead: Faery Tale Adventure II on the PC?

A: No. We had worked tirelessly for two years but we kept cutting back the scope of the game due to financial pressures. By the time the game was near completion, the Dreamers Guild was going bankrupt, and I worked for three months without pay to finish the project and get it into a publishable state. But the game was a pale shadow of what we had intended, and both us and the publisher were in chapter 11.

At the same time, however, we had an incredible team of people and had developed what was some amazing technology for the time. Isometric tile systems with multiple cutaway "floors", 3D rendered character artwork that was then hand-painted over to give a more "painterly" look, dynamically-recolorable animated characters (so each Orc could look unique), and so on. There was a lot to be proud of.

This was the first time I had ever been in a leadership position with so many people - I was directing something like 30 creative programmers and artists I think, and I was dashing around the office so much that people would send messages to me by slapping post-it notes on my body as I rushed past them.

The failure of both the company and the game - and my breakup with my girlfriend, Allison - left me emotionally drained and burned out for many years. It was at this point that I started to succumb to clinical major depression, and it got worse over the next seven years until I finally got up the courage to go see a doctor and get on anti-depressants, which I still take today. In addition, I migrated from LA to the bay area, which meant leaving behind a lot of the friends I had made there. I've never made friends easily, and being depressed means that I wasn't willing to spend the energy to maintain my existing friendships. As a result, my "social network" gradually decayed to almost nothing, and I began to suffer from bouts of intense loneliness and isolation. Only when I was working on a technical problem - so absorbed that I didn't have any brain left over for sadness - was I able to function normally. (Which was fortunate for me, as it meant that I was able to remain employed.)

I've never really recovered from this. Although with the anti-depressants I am able to live a fairly content life most of the time, it's been something like seventeen years since I've been in a full-time relationship, and I still have occasional "episodes" of bleak despair. (Recently the Google+ team went on a trip to Maui and I had an emotional breakdown in the middle of it - I had to hide in my hotel room for hours at a time so that my co-workers wouldn't see me crying.) Fortunately, this only happens for a few hours every six months or so, so it's something I can live with.

So I guess the statement "I was not happy" would be somewhat of an understatement.

During that period I worked for a number of startups - Postlinear Entertainment, Transactor Networks, Brodia, Explorati, all of which failed or ended after a year or two - until I finally landed in a place of relative stability which was Maxis. I used to tell people that my life was like a platformer game where the platforms are collapsing under your feet as you jump on them - except in my case the platforms were companies.

:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom