Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Ironman Fallout 2 (5 - Scum and Villainy)

laclongquan

Arcane
LP is hell on attentionwhores.

Sure, Having many comments is nice and all, but they are largely dependant on how good can you present your image/dialog and how good can you troll your readers. Worse, base materials doesnt help you much if readers are not interested in helping you out, so it's purely a writer's effort. World of Darkness or not, if we are not interested, we dont want to post. Bad games or not, it also doesnt matter.

What I am saying is that if you want comments, try to spam threads to troll Codex. Or some fetish threads to freak out someones. LPs? Better not. IT's a thankless gamble that should be left to interested gamers.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Episode 5: Scum and Villainy

Episode 5: Scum and Villainy

Shortly after departing Klamath I see some merchants fighting off some scorpians, but decide to leave them to it.

F2LP044.png

By the time I arrive in the Den it feels like I've been wandering the desert for months, maybe even half a year. I have to check my Pip-Boy three times before I believe it's only been a week since Klamath.

twnden.gif

God, this place is worse than the last. I've got half a mind to head back to Arroyo and tell them life isn't that bad after all. In fact, I've been in town less than five minutes when a passerby sums up my thoughts
F2LP045.png

I head into a nearby merchant's to get a feel for what's going on.

PC_LJ_Rifle.png
Can I ask you something?
Whiskey+Bob.png
F2LP047.png

PC_LJ_Rifle.png
Who's in charge of this town?
Whiskey+Bob.png
F2LP048.png

I look through Tubby's wares, and whilst he has some nice looking weaponry, stims and some other strange looking drugs, there's nothing I can afford.
PC_LJ_Rifle.png
Why is everyone selling drugs?
Whiskey+Bob.png
F2LP050.png

PC_LJ_Rifle.png
(You charge those kind of prices, then expect me to pay for information!?) You give me the information, or I give you a new hole in the head. (That ought to get it out of him)
Whiskey+Bob.png
F2LP051.png

I can see the fury rising in Tubby's eyes, and decide not to let him get the upper hand.

HP39.png
PC_LJ_Rifle.png
Let's see how you adapt to this, monkey-boy.

F2LP052.png

F2LP053b.png
F2LP053.png

One clean shot puts Tubby to rest, permanently. The desert sun must be taking its toll on my sanity. Did I need to kill him for this? Before I can ponder any further the two cronies hanging at the back of the store want to join the fray.

F2LP054.png

Luckily, they're too incompetent to get a solid hit in. Mr Sullivan's training is paying off. Before taking the next shot, I take the time to grab the weapon Tubby had at the ready.
uzi.gif

HP23.png
PC_LJ_SMGsingle1.gif
One for you!
The first crony hits the floor - the other begins to flee toward the street.
HP19.png
PC_LJ_SMGsingle2.gif
And one for you.

F2LP056.png

As a fact finding mission I guess it's fair to call this a failure. I did get some more ammunition, some drugs and this nice SMG though.

PC_LJ_SMG.gif
Sorry Tubby. I hope you have better luck in the next life.

Before heading out I examine one of the canisters of drugs now in my possesion.

F2LP058.png

It seems to promise focus and energy, if only for a limited time. If these are as effective as stimpacks, I'm sure they will come in handy. I make my way across the street to what seems to be both a drinking establishment and a gambling hall.

F2LP059.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Not right now. I'm looking for a merchant named Vic.
Becky.gif
F2LP060.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Who's Metzger?
Becky.png
F2LP061.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Another question: got any work?
Becky.png
F2LP062.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
What's the catch?
Becky.png
F2LP063.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
I'll see what I can do.

I guess I'll see this Fred guy when I see him. For now it's time to pay Metzger a visit.

F2LP067.png

F2LP068.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
About Vic...
Metzger.png
F2LP069.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Why are you keeping him here?
Metzger.png
F2LP070.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Can I see him?
Metzger.png
F2LP071.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Thanks

F2LP072.png

Finally, a decent lead on Vault 13 and the GECK. Let's see what Vic's got.

vic_idle.gif
F2LP073.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Can you tell me where Vault 13 is?
Vic.png
F2LP074.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
(Fuck. I don't have time for this. Guess there's no choice though) How do we do that?
Vic.png
F2LP075.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Can you use this radio I found?
Vic.png
F2LP076.png

Maybe getting him out of here won't be too bad.

Metzger.png
F2LP077.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Isn't it time you held up your end of the bargain regarding Vic?
Metzger.png
F2LP079.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Maybe some money will help clear things up?
Metzger.png
F2LP080.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
!! (No way I could ever afford that) Sorry. Don't have the money today.

I high tail it out of Metzger's office before he gets any ideas about locking me up. $1000! But I need that information from Vic. I've already robbed the fattest merchant in the city and don't have anywhere near that amount.

I suppose if I can get that $200 from Fred it'd be a start. If I can pick up more work afterward it may not be impossible.

I have to check out most of the buildings in town, but eventually find someone who answers to the name of Fred.

F2LP092.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
I'm here to collect some money you owe someone.
Junkie.gif
F2LP093.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Rebecca says she lent you $200.
Junkie.png
F2LP094.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Hand it over.
Junkie.png
F2LP095.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Tough luck.
Junkie.png
F2LP096.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Come on. Pay up the full amount!
Junkie.png
F2LP097.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Sorry, I don't have the cash either.
Junkie.png
F2LP098.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
No deal. (I pat the handgun holdstered at right hip. That ought to speed this along)
Junkie.png
F2LP099.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Thanks. Manage your money better next time.

As I turned away from Fred, I'm suddenly overcome by the vision of a bullet entering into Tubby's head, making a clean entrance but shattering through his brain to create a gaping exit wound.
PC_LJ_SMG.png
Agghh! Focus man. You need this GECK. Anything to survive the wastes. Just keep moving.

It's nice to have that $200 rolling around in my pockets, but I get the feeling that it would be more profitable to stay on Becky's good side for now, so I head over to negotiate a reward.

Becky.png
F2LP100.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
About that money...
Becky.png
F2LP101.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Yes, I did.
Becky.png
F2LP102.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
(Awesome) You're welcome. Any other work?
Becky.png
F2LP105.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
I'm on it.

First though, it seems that a nearby building is home to a group of well armoured - even if not well equiped - people. Perhaps there will be a way to earn a few bucks from them.

F2LP083.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Got any work?
Lara.gif
F2LP084.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Sure.

Over at the church...

F2LP064.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
I've been sent by sent by Metzger to verify the goods are still in order.
F2LP065.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Look, he had me come into town just to inspect his damn stuff. I could care less.
Tyler.png
F2LP066.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Cheers.

The first thing I notice as the door swings open is the abundance of well armoured personel here, and these guys seem to be packing a bit of heat. I stride purposefully over to some crates lining the eastern wall, and deduce from the labels and warnings that they must be full of chemicals used in an industrial process. Drugs, at a guess. Time to get out of here.

Lara.png
What did you find?
PC_LJ_SMG.png
Raw chemical compounds in large crates.
Lara.png
F2LP086.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Why is that?
Lara.png
F2LP087.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
So? Why does that make sense?
Lara.png
F2LP088.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Where's New Reno?
Lara.png
F2LP089.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Ok. Thanks.
Lara.png
F2LP090.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Sure (that's more like it)
Lara.png
F2LP091.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Ok, no problem.

There sure is a lot more to the wasteland than I expected. I wonder if I'll end up having to go to this New Reno at some point. Anyway, better get over to Metzger and organise this fight, not that I like Lara's odds...

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Lara wanted me to ask you for permission to fight Tyler
Metzger.png
F2LP107.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
So it's ok?
Metzger.png
F2LP108.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Great, thanks.

What a dick.

As the conversation ends I notice outside the window an old man throw away something that looks like a book. Becky's flower book, perhaps?

F2LP109.png

Indeed. That was a bit of good fortune. Before trekking back to Lara to tell her the fight's on, I decide to have a better look around this side of town.

F2LP110.png

After entering a cosy little restaurant, a young woman tells me about a creature called a cat, and as I hear about it I wish we had some for Arroyo. The chat gives me some welcome respite from the harshness and violence of the wastes, but in the end we just stare at each other, depressed that the days of cats are now gone. Time to see what other work I can pick up I suppose.

F2LP111.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Sure, I don't mind.

It's not a paying gig, but I'm headed that way anyway. Let's see what this guy in the corner is up to.

F2LP112.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
What's your story?
Whiskey+Bob.png
F2LP113.png

Whiskey+Bob.png
F2LP114.png
F2LP115.png

Whoa.

I don't know whether to believe him myself, but then I guess anything could be out there. Time to get that meal to Smitty...

F2LP116.png

and to tell Lara that her fight is authorised...

F2LP117.png

Lara.png
F2LP118.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
How much?
Lara.png
F2LP119.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Ok (no idea how this is going to work though)

Back at the church
Tyler.png
Yes?
PC_LJ_SMG.png
How's it going?
Tyler.png
F2LP121.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Big plans then?
Tyler.png
F2LP122.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Down a few brews for me mate.

Well, I think that's got to qualify as a weakness.

Better drop this book off to Becky before I forget about it though.

F2LP123.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
You're welcome.

F2LP124.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Tyler's having a huge party tonight.
Lara.png
F2LP125.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
And my money?
Lara.png
F2LP126.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
(Crap. Lara's set on the fight, but I don't want to be on the wrong side of this one) Give me a bit to get ready.
Lara.png
F2LP127.png

All I can do is tip Tyler off, and tell him that if he sees me with Lara to not put a bullet in my ass. Otherwise I guess that's $300 forfeit. Yet another trip to the church.

F2LP128.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
I have some information you might be interested in.
Tyler.png
Oh yeah, what's that?
PC_LJ_SMG.png
(Worth a shot...) It'll cost you.
Tyler.png
F2LP130.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Lara's planning on hitting the place tonight.
Tyler.png
F2LP131.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
(score!) Thanks
Tyler.png
F2LP132.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
But I'm a lover, not a fighter
Tyler.png
F2LP133.png

PC_LJ_SMG.png
Ok. I'll sort it.

I head back to Lara and give her the go ahead, then wait with her till nightfall.

F2LP135.png

A lot of things began to happen very quickly. I sprinted ahead of Lara to let Tyler know it was on, and to get out of the line of fire. But as Lara's gang rounded the corner and the bullets began to fly, adrenaline took me over.
HP39.png
PC_LJ_SMG.png
Get some!
F2LP136.png

A squeeze of my finger sprayed blood over the footpath, and took one of Lara's guards out of the fight. Tyler's own gang began to fire and together we were slicing through Lara's numbers.
HP39.png
PC_LJ_SMG.png
I am invincible!
F2LP140.png

Within moments it was down to just Lara
F2LP143.png

and then the fight was over as quickly as it began

F2LP145.png

Tyler.png
F2LP146.png

The adrenaline is beginning to wear off. I've never felt so cold.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Haha, wow, I never played Fallout 2 properly. I just used Steal on Metzger's Shotgun, shot him in the eyes, blew up the Slaver's place with Sulik, and left.

I never really did all these money-fetching quests. With a fight being almost the only thing on my mind, I just went for the chance to kill somebody when I saw it. Now I feel stupid.

Same with the first Fallout as well. I later learnt that one could complete the Bust the Skulz quest without killing anybody.

Just read this, looksl ike you're heading down a dark path. Wonder what's gonna happen in Modoc.
Also, betraying Lara is really profitable, and actually a pretty good idea if you're not a fighter character. Considering your stats, I guess that's a fair representation.

Muro

Educated
Read the thread in one go and staying for more. Keep those updates coming, Jigawatt, this is quality material.

Normally, it is noticeably wiser and more profitable to follow the path of the righteous in Fallout 1/2. One could end up wondering, why is anyone evil in a world where being a goody two shoes pays the highest coin & experience. Normally, as in, when you can reload.

I like how this iron man LP shows that moral decisions aren't as obvious and easy to make when you have only one life which can be easily taken away. Being good is good, but not as good as staying alive.

betamin

Learned
Lol i've read this thread without checking the dates, I'm dissapoint.

One tends to forget about Fallout's quality writing, that's for sure.

spectre

Arcane
This brough back some memories. Haven't played F2 in years.
Jigawatt, please do not let this die, K?

tindrli

Arcane
spectre said:
This brough back some memories. Haven't played F2 in years.
Jigawatt, please do not let this die, K?

Agreed!!! be responsible tranny

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom