Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's kill goblins and eat plump helmets in Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale

Who shall accompany Urist in his quest to retrive the bloodstone axe Khamalkhad?

• Poral

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tara

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Entor

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Halan

• Ranak

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Maka

• Kenit

• Endel

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

octavius

Arcane
Patron
the dumbing down of party split system kinda pissed me off.

Yeah, that pissed me off in MC2 too. That, and finding the NPCs in the huge starting city.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Two Cities

u02001_zpstoblw7xc.png

After meeting chieftain Torongo, we continued to wander around the town of Haraza for a while.

u02002_zpsxklari79.png

This is the smithing school, where we can pay to improve our metalworking skills. I don't think it's a very useful skill, though.

u02003_zps623jzzgb.png

It also occured to me that Volni may have some different things to say now that she's in the party.

u02004_zpsl38gqfdj.png

u02005_zpstwxahm93.png

u02006_zps816unq3y.png

u02007_zpsvovaroqg.png

Bingo! We learned another teleportal combination. :incline:

u02008_zpsc6jb47eu.png

I also discovered that we could take control of a companion and have her talk to Urist. I wonder what would happen if we asked Urist for advice?

u02009_zpsakpa53i6.png

how clever

u02010_zps0chpgm1e.png

Also, we saw some new faces appearing at the tavern.

u02011_zpsfw9q3nyp.png

bluedwarf_zpscwaaoig5.png
"Advice?"
kem0sabe_man.jpg_zpswmocq9m9.png
"Urist, I have travelled great distances in search of knowledge."
"Travel?"
"If it is a journey you seek, try going to my home village, Galaq. It is west of here, beyond Phoroshe and the mountains, on the shores of a lake."
"Galaq?"
"It is the town of men."

Sounds sexist.

"Phoroshe?"
"It is the Tamar town due east of this place."
"Where have you travelled to?"
"My travels are beyond the constraints of these shores! I seek and use teleportals to aid in my journeys. All matters concerning them interest me."
"Interest?"
"Knowledge of the teleportals and their combinations must be hard won, and I doubt that you can tell me something I don't already know. Seek Smorqa in Kafari. She knows who sells the tiles necessary to journey through the teleportals."

u02012_zpszuwanxnf.png

"Advice?"
whitedwarf_zpswffmkbln.png
"I see you carry the famous axe, Aroten! You must be the survivors of the Hoprus clan that lived beneath the mountains between us and the Morin clan."
"Aroten?"
"Surely you know that the axe you possess is the mighty Aroten! Created by the great dwarven smith, Arogus, and the long dead wizard, Morg'ten Kara, the axe was presented to the first chieftain of clan Hoprus when it was formed."
"Hoprus?"
"Your clan's neutrality in the warring between the Tamar and Morin clans was a source of great aggravation to both clans. But, now that your clan has been massacred by the Taldor, I guess the point is moot."
"You already knew about the massacre?"
"The destruction of your clan by the Taldor will serve as a great warning to both clans that only through unity can the monsters of the west be turned back."
"Tamar?"
"Our great clan is civilized and well advanced. Unlike the Morin, we cultivate learning and progress. Some day, all of Tarq will be under the rule of the Tamar clan!"
"Morin?"
"They are powerful, but vulgar and unwashed. My clan will not allow their uncouth ways to destroy our progress!"
"Tarq?"
"That is the name of this great land. It must be bad living in a cave all your life."
:bunkertime:

u02013_zpsqes470hp.png

u02014_zpsxxz2m9xt.png

u02015_zpseddntqkl.png

We then went to the armor shop and bought a steel helmet for Urist and Halan each. All armor in MC series do one thing: absorb a certain amount of damage whenever the wearer was struck with a weapon. This should help with our survivability a bit.

u02016_zpspfqeft1g.png

Later, a serving girl showed up at the tavern.

u02017_zpstsicwvsi.png

u02018_zpsg1oqsudk.png

Good to know.

u02019_zpsvd2aeg75.png

u02020_zps6hdm6vpk.png

I find it pretty bizarre that there would be so many reference to ales but no way to actually do anything with them. Perhaps there was originally planned to be a mechanic that allows you to offer beers to NPCs to make them more friendly like in MC1, but was cut from the game due to time constraints.

u02021_zpshipmwgiy.png

u02022_zpsbxx6oh3m.png

u02023_zpsjlqt0xcf.png

It's like the thing Roguey was talking about!

u02024_zpsenrta3fb.png

We're done with Haraza for now. Time to visit Kafari, I think.

u02025_zpsujphnxd2.png

We went south through the mountain pass.

u02026_zpstxph9plm.png

Later, we encountered another group of monsters.

u02027_zpsajvu9ifb.png

u02028_zpsd2yk94qs.png

u02029_zpsnoqth8np.png

The monsters are a weird mix, with one dimelf, one hightaldor and two tlatols. Volni thinks they look nervous, though, so maybe we should try diplomacy first?

u02030_zpsusqv5vgt.png

When preparations are complete, start the confrontation with "Talk" or "Begin."
"Talk" has two sub-options. You can "Rally" your friends or "Greet" the opposition.
"Rally" is directed to your own side. If successful, it increases the enthusiasm (bravery and agility) of the other party members. On the other hand, if your rallying effort is not successful, the enemy may sneak up on you and gain the advantage of moving first. Leadership skill influences the probability of rallying successfully.
"Greet" is directed to the leader of your opposition. He may respond in many different ways. His characteristics as well as the general strength of your party play a role in his attitude towards you. If the monsters do not care to chat, they will attack immediately, gaining the advantage of moving first.

We're doing "Greet" this time.

u02031_zpsvrdzqzl7.png

u02032_zpsdosqu8bu.png

Ha! They're so afraid of us that they're willing to give us money if we'll let them live. :smug: 12 coins isn't a lot, but we'll still take up this offer.

u02033_zpsh7cxr2f8.png

We eventually found ourselves in another grassland to the south.

u02034_zpsixaf1x8w.png

Ah, this must be the grove we heard about earlier!

u02035_zpsse3plm30.png

u02036_zpsmkyfj1lq.png

Sacred groves are kind of like free inns in the wild, with a bunch of "magical beds" (look like glorified grassy pits). We'll be safe from monsters while we're resting here.

u02037_zpsq9whuopz.png

Going further south, we eventually reached the Morin town of Kafari.

u02038_zps5tqnaqey.png

Note how Kafari looks significantly different from Haraza. Here you have wooden buildings with pitched roof instead of stone ones with flat roof.

u02039_zpsllyp0qmp.png

This is the tavern.

u02040_zpsxkho1pq4.png

Not much people to see at this hour.

u02041_zpsrnlfywfo.png

u02042_zpsracfpged.png

The serving girl here says exactly the same lines as the one in Haraza.

u02043_zpsmfbvblol.png

u02044_zps1woabfzu.png

"Ale?"
"Which kind of ale do you like, Urist? The local inhabitants brew a fine dark ale - I highly recommend it."

No, we still can't buy ales.

"Advice?"
"When you're not enjoying a nice brew, journey to the southeast of our town. An ancient temple lies in that region. It is reported to be full of half-alive, or should I say, half-dead, creatures."

A dungeon populated by undeads? Intriguing.

u02045_zpsacdrioso.png

There's a small house in the southwestern part of the town.

u02046_zpszcvlmqk6.png

Turned out it's actually a temple of some god.

u02047_zpsqn2jtwec.png

There's a word on the altar. We noted it down.

u02048_zpszfrolrxj.png

u02049_zpse81v1hj6.png

Oh, so this is the temple of Ziphanu.

u02050_zpswzrglqgo.png

After leaving the temple, we went to visit a dwarf in his home.

u02051_zpsvh13bvr2.png

"Advice?"
"Far to the west, in the land of Hataan, lies an ancient temple, the temple of Ziphanu, god of the air!"
"Temple?"
"This temple is a relic of times past, times when the the gods roamed the earth with their children. In these troubled time, however, we are left to struggle on our own."
"Struggle?"
"We have lost many brave fighters in our struggles against the Tamar. If you could retrieve the magic orb buried in the temple, my chief, Rakan, and our whole tribe, will be in your debt."
"Buried?"
"My family has passed down this information from generation to generation, in the hopes that one such as you would one day come to our aid. The orb is buried in the far northeastern room of the temple, between the altar and platform of swords."

u02052_zpsvndkdsj2.png

u02053_zpslol7vzr5.png

We also found a guitar shop, but nobody is here at this hour.

u02054_zpsvrbquo7g.png

"Advice?"
"I see great things in your future, Urist. The actions you choose will shape the history of Tarq."
"Actions?"
"Choose them wisely, Urist. The wrong decisions can lead you down a dark path of destruction. Seek other wise people in Tarq to aid your journey."
"Wise?"
"Sagely individuals who sell the mystical spell totems and magic teleportal tiles abound in Tarq."
"Individuals?"
"Well, there's Manteki in Tulara, Trillax in Phoroshe, Dorein in Rulaan and the Tlengle Rnjrnet in Marat."
"Totems?"
"The spell totems are an adventurer's greatest aid. They allow you to tap elemental forces and shape great magical effects."
"Tiles?"
"The tiles, Otala, Aster, Dunha, Henta and Berat, when used in the proper combinations, instantly transport you to various places in Tarq."
"Combinations?"
"Loremasters have much information on teleportal combinations, as do seasoned adventurers."

u02055_zpskpylfo6j.png

u02056_zpsrip9y0pf.png

More random landscape shots.

u02057_zpsqqr9nghf.png

u02058_zpsvhb890td.png

u02059_zpsfcnn7q8w.png

u02060_zpsyaqbztdw.png

We'll be sure to.

u02061_zpshh1ysyu2.png

u02062_zpstqskxylt.png

This is the inn.

u02063_zpscsdplbzb.png

Huh... What does a runemaster do?

u02064_zpsgc4fkxqt.png

u02065_zpsebp3hpv7.png

So we can memorize spells here? Couldn't we just do it at the inn?

u02066_zpsv96fbgoz.png

u02067_zpsnuhoa243.png

u02068_zpsn3texwdl.png

u02069_zpsvrigkxhg.png

Ah, so the catch is we can memorize spells from a totem we don't own here? Unfortunately, it seems that non-wizard characters can't use runemaster service, even if they are capable of spellcasting. Oh well, maybe we'll come back later when we've recruited a wizard.

u02070_zpsrjb8whir.png

A nameless NPC. Let's ask her about local news.

Our chieftain, Rakan, lives in the big house in the southeastern corner of town, seek him for advice.

The Tamar are pompous and arrogant! Take caution when dealing with them!

Go to gemcutting school. Your ability to craft beautiful gems will be greatly increased.

In the wilderness, seek the Sacred Groves. They offer a safe refuge from the beasts of the wild.

The west holds great peril for the unready warrior.

Our land of Dormani is certainly beautiful. Except for the occasional tribal raid, our land is one of the least volatile in Tarq.

u02071_zpshotqgym5.png

u02072_zpslqxgpv6n.png

u02073_zpsy8ao3aa6.png

u02074_zpsrxaw02vo.png

u02075_zpsmwaj0it4.png

This kid is very racist

u02076_zpsdx8jkjf5.png

There're even sheeps in this game!

u02077_zpsvackabgm.png

"Advice?"
"Horatio sells many fine instruments, but none as fine as one I once saw, in the hands of a travelling minstrel."
"Minstrel?"
"A lyre of gold and platinum he played, and his tongue was as sweet as a gentle breeze on a hot summer day. People whispered that his great skill was due to his being blind, that he could create vision for himself in his
music."
"Blind?"
" Although I no longer know where the blind minstrel can be found, should you run across him, ask him to play the Lay of the Death Mask."
"Death?"
"The song was the most beautiful I ever heard. It told the the tale of the death of the first dwarf and the beautiful ceremonial death mask he was given by Rohrkahd."

u02078_zpsz9dxvjpt.png

Beyond Tulara, our sister city to the west, the lands become very dangerous! Sinister creatures inhabit those lands. Take great caution travelling there!

We must be vigilant! The Tamar tribesmen have been raiding our villages more and more frequently.

Be sure to have a sturdy rope before you enter the mountains.

Raan sells the finest weapons in Dormani.

u02079_zpsrioez3ry.png

u02080_zps3zftmu09.png

u02081_zpsriiw2niy.png

u02082_zpsuvl91vhn.png

u02083_zpsfmgubigq.png

Speaking of Raan, his shop is actually just nearby.

u02084_zpsfbuhqvtr.png

Unlike the weapon shop in Haraza, Raan's shop actually has crossbows for sale.

u02085_zpsn5soy3ow.png

u02086_zpsqtyorahi.png

There's also an archery school in this town.

u02087_zpsbthtzzvm.png

We went to check the tavern again and saw some new faces.

"Advice?"
"I seek my husband, Atun. Have you seen him?"
"I'm afraid not."
"I'm very worried about him. If you see him, tell him that I love him."

u02088_zps4lzzg6rj.png

"Advice?"
"Beware of the Tamar, Urist. They will beguile you with their fancy words and make you think that we are the cause of all this fighting! Also, try to have a representative of every race with you. They all have important things to say."
"Tamar?"
"The Tamar clan lives to the north and are our main rival. They are arrogant and think that all the other tribes should bow to their will!"

u02089_zpscgabeyqs.png

This is the gemcutting school we heard about earlier.

u02090_zps0yawuqxe.png

u02091_zpsazben9h7.png

u02092_zpsenu9ho6a.png

u02093_zpsdf0itt4q.png

u02094_zpsgk9sftrv.png

There's another gem trader in this town.

u02095_zpsvddj62kj.png

u02096_zpsvczkfpud.png

We could also sell our gems to him (we started with some) for cash, though we didn't do so.

u02097_zpslofbamqw.png

"Advice?"
browndwarf_zps30szvvy9.png
"You're in the right place, Urist. You won't get far without one of my warm sealskin suits."
"Sealskin?"
"The freezing rivers of Tarq are virtually uncrossable without them. The other alternative is to find a bridge, but they are usually guarded fearsome monsters."

u02098_zpsnl99srfv.png

This guy sells sealskins. We'll save buying these for later.

u02099_zps2mcuphws.png

"Advice?"
"Some think that music is just entertainment, but it has mystical powers as well."
"Powers?"
"Played by someone of skill, it can terrify your enemy and encourage your allies!"

u02100_zpsplerxvbz.png

u02101_zpsrsfrgufm.png

Horatio sells musical instruments. They're probably useful, but also quite expensive.

u02102_zpsvc4aqofv.png

u02103_zpsgifoil6h.png

Finally, this is chief Rakan's home. As before, we have to know the chief's name to enter.

u02104_zpsw5eijxwt.png

u02105_zpsvmm6fbkt.png

:kingcomrade: "In the days of yore, the gods gave treasures to those powerful in mind and body. As the ages past, these treasures were lost to marauding tribes and monster hordes. Now, many, many lifetimes later, the treasures are but a memory recorded in the tablets of the loremasters. I have no right to ask anything of you, but if you find any of these treasures, please give them to me. With the treasures in my possesion, all the dwarves in Tarq will recognize my superiority and flock to my banner. United, we Dwarves can defeat the Taldor and other evil creatures. But separated, as we are now, we shall fall, tribe by tribe. In return for your help, I will do what I can to aid you in your adventures."
"Loremasters?"
:kingcomrade: "The Morin Loremaster is located in our sister city of Tulara, to the west of here. Your adventures will be aided if you journey there and research the subject 'Taldor'. It might give you an edge in fighting the beasts."

That's it for the Morin chieftain. He seemed a lot more reasonable than Torongo at least, maybe he'll even get a treasure or two.

u02106_zpsfza1w0zi.png

u02107_zpsbciwcxer.png

u02108_zpsafsselai.png

After meeting with the chieftain, we visited the tavern again.

u02109_zpsx7rpmatj.png

I thought you were a trader? :rpgcodex:

u02110_zpsluj32q48.png

"Advice?"
"When Rohrkhad imprisoned the gods, Ziphanu, the air god, hid in Hataan. Legend has it that he was entombed in the ruins there."
"Ruins?"
"You should talk to Rolg at the bar in Tulara."

u02111_zpsbe2vuj83.png

"Advice?"
"It doesn't matter what tribe you come from, Urist, we all die in the end and then we go to Rohrkhad's castle."
"Castle?"
"When the children die, they go to the home of their god. If they have done well, they become guardians of the castle. If they have done poorly, they work in the ice mines under the castle. Either way, they serve Rohrkhad."
"Home?"
"The gods banished Rohrkhad after he imprisoned them, so his castle is empty except for its guardians. No one knows where the castle is for sure, but some say that a crazy old man up north has been there..."

u02112_zpshh8tqlew.png

"Advice?"
vk_wizard_zpsvwzgtkfv.jpg
"You know, Urist, every party of adventurers needs a quality wizard. Do you know how you can tell a good wizard from a bad one?"
"...No?"
"I really shouldn't impart this information, but I like you. All the best wizards have names starting with the letter 'M', and there's no substitute for a good M wizard. Most of us know some teleportal combinations, too."
"Teleportal?"
"To get back to Asarene, use a Berat tile, followed by two Dunha tiles."
"Would you join us in our journey?"

u02113_zpscf13fxgv.png

u02114_zpsmzb7hj8o.png

u02115_zps9pnm8nro.png

u02116_zpssj39swwc.png

u02117_zps3crsdwcc.png

Here are Maxon's stats. He's a wizard (which is considered a race in the MCverse) and he comes with a Chalta spell totem in his possesion, in addition to having some pretty nice skills and attributes. Yep, we're taking this guy.

u02118_zpspepz1smb.png

And so the final vacancy in our party has been filled. :incline:

u02119_zpsis9133jn.png

"Advice?"
"When you live in this area as long as I have, Urist, you come to know all its secrets."
"Area?"
"Dormani has a grove in the tundra forest south of here and an herb patch between the two forests southwest of here. To the south, along the coast, is the entrance to a ruin, but before you go you should talk to Torm when he comes in."

u02120_zpszhxj9r2o.png

"Advice?"
"The rivalry between us and the Tamar clan is so extreme that it may be too late for even Khamalkhad to unite the tribes."
"Khamalkhad?"
"It is the axe created by Rohrkhad so that Dalkhad could defend the dwarven race. It is said to be in Rohrkhad's castle, but no one knows where it is or even if it exists!"

u02121_zpsedih014l.png

"Greetings. Bolrus said you know something about the ruin to the south."
"If you want my advice, stay away from the southern tip of Dormani! There is a ruin there with hideously powerful monsters. No treasure is worth your life."
"Treasure?"
"The research I have done on the ruin leads me to believe that there are three treasures of note in the ruin: the Death Mask of Rohrkhad, Natal, and the hide of the azure sky shark."
"Death?"
"It was made for Rohrkhad, the All father of the dwarves, from his own tears when the first dwarf died. Shedara knows more about the mask. She lives in town somewhere."
"Natal?"
"Natal is a magical axe created by the water god from the bones of a million dead fish. He made it for the merman, Bloogridpr, who was killed by the Tlengle Kripipip before he could receive it. It was made to fight fire creatures."
"Hide?"
"Sky Sharks are predatory fish that swim through the air. Their hide rots very quickly, and none have been able to cure it in time. However, one hide was cured by ancient means now lost to us."

u02122_zpshbvhinkj.png

Well, I think we've talked with every NPC in Kafari. Time to get moving, then.

Before we would start wandering around, Urist distributed the supplies equally among party members, then everyone used a nift. Monsters in this game can actually do massive damage in combat, so it's important to make sure that we're well protected.

u02123_zpsfdmtpfey.png

We ran into some taldors shortly after leaving Kafari.

u02124_zpsdf57afdc.png

u02125_zpsugplenqh.png

u02126_zps3xvyw2pb.png

What, no money for us this time? Boo. Let's kill 'em.

u02127_zpsxah2r2xf.png

u02128_zpsjtrnckcm.png

On the first turn, Urist ate a gonshi and fell two taldors with Aroten.

u02129_zps9cedeiwx.png

u02130_zpspdjlo1cq.png

Volni also wounded a taldor, and the archers finished him off. On Maxon's turn, I had him casting Acidball to test its damage.

u02131_zpsnluoqihj.png

:incline:

u02132_zpsgzeasar5.png

Urist killed the sole remaining taldor on the next turn, and the battle is won.

u02133_zpsvcqz92rq.png

Sadly, the taldors didn't have much in terms of treasure.

u02134_zpswbvvjdvw.png

After the battle, we went to the sacred grove to recuperate.

u02135_zpslaymoeht.png

Here I decided to adjust our totem distribution a bit. In combat, Urist, with his powerful axe, is generally too busy cutting the enemies down to have time for spellcasting, so he gave his Gimlai to Maxon, who in turn transferred his Chalta to Halan.

u02136_zpspeewpzk6.png

u02137_zpsad98iegj.png

Halan will memorize some Resurrect, Maxon will memorize Lightning, and others will spend some time repairing weapons and armor.
RESURRECT is the most powerful spell in the Chalta book. It actually raises the dead. But it has its limits. The person to be resurrected must have been slain in honorable combat, and can not have been dead for very long. The Resurrect spell must be cast as soon as possible.

u02138_zpskyb0ruuh.png

Later, it occured to me that Maxon, being a wizard, should be able to use the runemaster's service.

u02139_zpsmh9cn1uz.png

u02140_zpsxub6dxuf.png

So my assumption was right. We can rent spell totems here. The price is rather high though, so maybe we should postpone doing so.

u02141_zpssxrmsc9s.png

I remember Bolrus saying there's a mushroom patch to the southwest of Kafari. Maybe we should try to find this patch for some free mushrooms.

u02142_zpscja7nkb1.png

It's here! That's easier than I thought.

u02143_zpsdjvggflk.png

Unfortunately, the mushroom growing here is the plump helmet sermin, rather than gonshi as I had hoped. Ah well, sermins are still useful.

u02144_zpsxl7fg6q8.png

We grabbed a bunch of sermins, but was careful to leave a few patches so that the mushrooms could grow back.

u02145_zpskaz8edjj.png

We've already found the mushrooms, and I felt we weren't prepared for the ruin to the south of Kafari, so Pradaqa will probably be our first dungeon. Before that, though, we should go back to Haraza and upgrade our gears.

u02146_zpslgvhbsks.png

We went to the gem trader and sold most of our gems. Jades were the least valuable, and sapphires were the most. We didn't sell the alabasters because they're useful in dungeons.

u02147_zps5yf2ixny.png

Selling all the gems netted us more than 2000 coins. Now to spend these on equipment...

u02148_zpsz2tkazij.png

We bought a few weapons at T'kalo's shop. Halan got a longsword, and the amazons got a medium crossbow each.

u02149_zpsaujlaxnt.png

Unfortunately, it turned out that Endel actually didn't have enough strength to use the medium crossbow, so she's forced to keep the light one she started with. The medium crossbow went to Halan.

u02150_zpsyqyprygw.png

u02151_zpsnppuphqh.png

We also bought two suits of steel plate (the best plate this town has to offer) for Urist and Volni, as I plan to use them as our frontline fighters. The plate armor were quite expensive, however, and we're left with less than 300 coins after the purchase.

u02152_zpsckvux9fv.png

u02153_zpsm1uye80a.png

Urist sold his old ring mail because he didn't need it anymore. Volni gave her dwarven chain to Maxon. AFAIK there's no spellcasting penalty caused by wearing heavy armor, so wizards could also wear them.

u02154_zpsskrwqgad.png

Better not spend the rest of our money. Maybe we'll need them later.

u02155_zpsyossxy2k.png

Time to get going, then. Pradaqa is to the northwest of Haraza, isn't it?

u02156_zpsyzl3gtqz.png

Well, that was easy to find.

u02157_zpsnppkpq8w.png

u02158_zpst3ktxlok.png

Unfortunately, it turned out that the gate was magically locked. Now, readers of my MC1 LP should be familiar with this concept - just like MC1, dungeons gate in Bloodstone can only be opened by whispering the corret "magical words", which we don't know about.

u02159_zpsa1lmvihu.png

I guess we have no choice other than interviewing more people, then. Phoroshe is the closest town from Praquda, so maybe someone here may know the magical words for the tower...

Bonus Content: Map of Tarq

Here's a scan of the map of Tarq. It's blurry as hell (you could barely make out the text) but it's the only one I managed to find.
bloodstone-map-1280.jpg

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Jump the Skyshark

u03001_zpsdwzadynw.png

Welcome to the town of Phoroshe. This is a Tamar town, so the architecture here is similiar to that of Haraza.

u03002_zpsghhwuhnu.png

u03003_zpsipjnunik.png

u03004_zpsacwzsvli.png

Just so you know what kind of bedtime stories the dwarves tell their children. :M

u03005_zpsrgfl3wwx.png

u03006_zpssflcdsiw.png

This kid is a big fan of Bucky.

u03007_zpslobb6pw0.png

Oh, so this is the weapon shop?

u03008_zpsmgdz7fu9.png

"Advice?"
"I pride myself on my large selection of weaponry. I've axes, swords, even a crossbow or two."
"Crossbow?"
"It's more of a novelty than anything else. Those cowardly Morin use them quite a bit, however."

And judging by the fact that your clan still exists, they're probably not very good with it.

u03009_zpsh5bbo3u7.png

Anyway, here's Dryson's merchandise. He sells some pretty good melee weapons.

u03010_zpsonb7w1sk.png

There's also an axe school here.

u03011_zpsjuzqhetj.png

A generic NPC. Time to catch up on the local gossip...
Beware the Taldor's pets, the Pennari. Their howl made my husband run from battle!

The Taldor are allied with Dimelves and the Tlatol.

Some Taldor can cast magic.

u03012_zpsaf6flvcc.png

The lands to the west and the lands of clan Morin, to the south, should be entered with great caution.

The only thing that keeps the Taldor in Kalased is their tower northeast of here.

Someday the plains of Kalased will be free of the Taldor scourge!

Were it not for our skirmishes with the Morin clan, we could concentrate on clearing the land of foul beasts!

u03013_zpsy4qlvkiv.png

"Advice?"
"When faced with great adversity, Urist, one of my drums is the best answer."
"Drums?"
"When you beat it, your party will rally around you and crush the enemies!"

u03014_zps4h3nhs99.png

This is the Tamar's shop of musical instruments. Nothing new to see here.

u03015_zpsesppslkr.png

Phoroshe also has a runemaster. Some different totems are available for rent here.

u03016_zpsdkwo2cgk.png

u03017_zpsauwgi7wh.png

The tavern! Maybe someone here would know how to enter Pradaqa.

u03018_zps1eyyui8e.png

"Ale?"
"We've got Bazard Ale and Bazard Light, which do you prefer?"
"Prefer?"
"I'm a Light dwarf, myself. I'll tell ya', Urist, after a hard day of killing monsters, nothing satisfies like a Bazard Ale or Bazard Light."
"Advice?"
"Watch out for roving bands of Taldor in and around Pradaqa Tower."
"Taldor?"
"Taldor are fierce savages, like misshappen dwarves in appearance, and yet, in a way, different. The hatred between the two races is almost, but not quite, legendary."
"Pradaqa?"
"The large, foreboding tower to the northeast of here is rumored to be full of Taldor, and worse."

u03019_zpsyryoowp5.png

No, the tavern still doesn't sell any ale.

u03020_zpsmf0iqni8.png

"Advice?"
"Sometimes my dad tells me stories about a man made of water called Melmalan, that was turned to ice by Rohrkhad!"
"Water?"
"He was made out of water, and he was strong, and he ruled the seas, and he was big, and fishpeople prayed to him, and he lived in the ocean."
"Rohrkhad?"
"One day, Rohrkhad, the god of all the dwarves, got tired of the other gods messing up his world, so he imprisoned them so that they wouldn't break his world. He trapped the water guy in a block of living ice!"
"Trapped?"
"The trapped gods trapped Rohrkhad too! They made it so he couldn't walk on the world. So now he watches from his Throne in the Stars and appears only in visions."

u03021_zpss7l0rj4p.png

"Advice?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"I'm Tlengle and I'm proud! I have travelled extensively in this area and have information about its geography, if you're interested."
"Yes, I'm interested."
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"I know quite a bit about special places in the regions of Kalased and Senerat."
"Kalased?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"Kalased is mostly a featureless plain: you might say a plain plain, but there are three little-known locations that I can tell you about."
"Which three?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"There is a protected grove in a forest north of here and west of Pradaqa; a patch of mystical herbs lies northwest of Haraza at the edge of a forest; and a shrine of some sort also lies northwest of Haraza but before the forest."
"Senerat?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"In Senerat, there is a grove southeast of Galaq, the Human town, and west of here, over the mountains. There is also a patch of herbs south of here, in a forest by the mountains. Do not pick them all, so they can grow back."

u03022_zpsfuiln13q.png

We invited Phizliphf to our party, but he wouldn't join. Ah well.

u03023_zpsfrypfikq.png

(note: this is an amazon)
"Advice?"
amaz_zpsbgcamgxu.png
"There is nothing a man can do that a woman cannot, but I must admit a good wizard can be invaluable. Not only are their spells useful, they seem to know a great deal about ancient places."

u03024_zpsjdkhxrvo.png

A gambling hall!

u03025_zpsqcz6cgh4.png

u03026_zps7wscuqfp.png

u03027_zps655jalm1.png

Well, let's try this. Better not take too much chance, though.

u03028_zpsqmbrpden.png

:yeah:
Honestly though, I'm a bit surprised that gambling is still a thing in Bloodstone. It's a pretty terrible mechanic in my opinion.

u03029_zpsawpvguoz.png

This is the supply shop.
"Advice?"
"If you're going into a tower, take along a good supply of picks."
"Picks?"
"You'll need them to open the many chests you'll find."

u03030_zpsoy02xpfy.png

There's also a small island at the center of Phoroshe, only accessible via a bridge. I'm not sure if it serves any particular purpose.

u03031_zpsrjozs3nu.png

And this is a temple.

u03032_zpss61jh1vl.png

u03033_zpsh4g4zzgk.png

Oh, it's that water god who was turned into ice by Rohrkhad.

u03034_zpshnwuy6l9.png

:takenotes:

u03035_zps3zgmsooo.png

"Advice?"
"Take along a good supply of herbs and mushrooms. I sell all types here, and at bargain prices!"

u03036_zpsknoru8jt.png

Finally, a herb shop. I was beginning to worry that these may not even exist in Bloodstone.

u03037_zpsldgr7xx5.png

u03038_zpsg3mmklt0.png

u03039_zpszohl9imp.png

We bought two pouches of gonshi and one pouch of potion.

u03040_zpsm4f1de25.png

"Advice?"
purpledwarf_zps7lwv2dlm.png
"The only true way to defeat the monsters of Tarq is through the use of the arcane arts."
"Arcane?"
"When the world was new, Rohrkhad gave unto his children seven totems of power, each with a full complement of prestidigitational powers. To his highest priests, he gave the power to replicate these totems for those deemed worthy."
"Replicate?"
"Although the art of replication is long lost, the totems are still known to exist. I myself have a supply of Ashard and Chalta totems, which I can sell to you."

u03041_zps0qtcah8t.png

u03042_zps34e96flv.png

Trillax sells spell totems. These might be very useful, but we can't afford to buy any right now because they're extremely expensive.

u03043_zpsuaholyrw.png

"Advice?"
"My father, a great adventurer in his time, told me a wonderful tale once. He was on an island full of big, red lizards who told really corny jokes. The lizards showed him a dungeon at the very northern end of the island."
"Dungeon?"
"It was called Anthorn or Anforn or something. In this dungeon, he found a beautifully wrought sceptre. He wanted to return home with it but was set upon by a horde of nasty undead, so he secured it in a chest in a room on the third level of the dungeon."

u03044_zpsd7ouww43.png

Huh, there's a lone residence in the northwestern corner of the town. It's probably important, though we'll have to go around the river to reach it.

u03045_zps9h4nl6n5.png

"Advice?"
"I have heard legends of an ancient complex carved under the ground. It is said that many great treasures lie hidden in its bowels."
"Complex?"
"The place is called Delqafi. It is said that it was the ancestral home of the Taldor before the Bazards drove them out. If you go into the hills, between the mountains that lie southwest of here, you will surely find
it. Perhaps you can enlist the aid of a renegade Taldor to help you get in. If you do convince Taldors to join you, take them to a tavern. They love to drink and when they're drunk, they love to talk."
"Treasures?"
"There are two great treasures rumored to be sequestered in those vaults: The Bowl, and the lost Taldor axe of legend, Mukora. By the way, I talk a great deal so stick wtih me."
"Bowl?"
"The bowl belonged to Gorgo, the fattest dwarf that ever lived. He always ate from it and took it with him wherever he went. It is said that the owner of the bowl will never grow hungry. The Bazards didn't when they ate Gorgo."
"Owner?"
"The bowl has no owner now, but I understand that a Morin dwarf whose name begins with 'F' lives in Tulara and collects bowls. He may know something about it."
"Mukora?"
"This magic axe was created by Palelil, the Taldor god, so that Grefrin, the first born of the Taldor race, would smite Dalkhad, the first dwarf."
"Smite?"
"With unearthly strength and magical fire, Mukora's head was forged from the metal of a fallen star with a shaft of petrified oak. In the hands of Grefrin, Palelil commanded that Mukora destroy Dalkhad."
"Dalkhad?"
"Rohrkhad, the god of the dwarves, saw this and created Khamalkhad. He gave it to Dalkhad so that he could defend himself in the coming battle."
"Battle?"
"The battle between Grefrin and Dalkhad was brutal, but in the end, only Dalkhad stood. This so infuriated Palelil that he struck down Dalkhad and stole away with Grefrin and Mukora. Only legends persist."
"Legends?"
"Taldor legends insist that the possessor of Mukora will RULE ALL GALAXIES!"
"...Uh, what about Khamalkhad then?"
"The mightiest axe ever made, the shaft is of Methreal and the head is of Bloodstone."
"Methreal?"
"It is the strongest metal known. No one living has been able to forge anything with it. A few suits of armor do exist, remnants of a time long past."
"Bloodstone?"
"The hardest stone known to dwarf, it is impossible to mine, and when encountered, must be dug around. Some say it is the blood of Rohrkhad himself!"
"You said the Bazards drove the Taldors from Delqafi?"
"Savage and intelligent giant lizards. I've only seen one, and that was as it ate my raiding party. I barely escaped by diving into a river without my sealskin on. It would seem that they can't swim."

u03046_zps96d8obcv.png

"Advice?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"Don't be afraid of me, your mother wasn't! But seriously, can I join your party? I'm looking for a good day job."
"Job?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"Chopping monsters, of course. Let me tell you, those Tlatol can be a real pain. Why, just the other day one tried to kidnap my wife. I said, 'Take my wife, please, and I'll give you eight gold pieces to let me watch.'"
"Tlatol?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"Nasty creatures. You might confuse them with us, but the Tlatol lack our beautiful red scales. Back home, we capture them and let the young 'uns practice their stand-up routines on them."
"Home?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"I come from the far island of Balat. There are also Tlengle on the island of Noromi. The only known mode of transport to these islands is to use a teleportal."
"Transport?"
tlen_zpslk4dolco.png
"To get to Balat, use an Aster tile, a Berat tile and another Aster tile. A Henta tile, an Otala tile and a Dunha tile will take you to Noromi."

u03047_zpsq5zdaxfp.png

u03048_zpsrhdhmpr5.png

u03049_zpsifxq7gxj.png

u03050_zpsla6t69qq.png

u03051_zpsmxbtaalg.png

Pakkr is another possible companion. His skills are okay and he comes with some good equipments. I briefly considered ditching Endel for him, but in the end I decided that no amount of good equipment is worth putting up with his "jokes".

What's with you tlengles and your red scales, anyway? Have you guys never heard of camouflaging?

u03052_zpsn5u7edxe.png

"Advice?"
"The plains of Kalased are beautiful except for that eyesore of a tower to the northwest!"
"Eyesore?"
"I speak of the ancient tower called Pradaqa. For many years, it was just an elegant ruin from a long forgotten time, but now it is the stronghold for the twisted Taldor!"
"Stronghold?"
"Yes indeed, they use the tower to store their tools of war and other necessary supplies. On the top floor they keep the Moon Scarab that shines from the tower every full moon."
"Scarab?"
"The Moon Scarab glows brightly every full moon. During that time, it is said to bring death to the enemies of the possessor. In the hands of a dwarven chief, it would be very useful."

u03053_zpsgbyvklgt.png

"Advice?"
greendwarf_zps0brq5jfv.png
"Borton, a would-be apothecary, knows the word you need to whisper to bring down the drawbridge of Pradaqa."
"Borton?"
"He is currently bitter because his assistant stole his only supply of some rare herb. I'm sure he would be willing to trade the word for the herb. Go talk to him. He lives in the northwest corner of town."

Aha! We finally have a lead as to where to look for the password of Pradaqa. Though we were going to check the house to the northwest anyway.

u03054_zpsv89cq9w4.png

u03055_zpsnowycr7e.png

Huh, there's a hollowed part of this building that seems completly inaccessible. Probably nothing important.

u03056_zpskqabeypr.png

There's a LOT of crops planted in the western part of the town. I guess this is their crop field.

u03057_zps2t2phpse.png

Well, we've finally arrived at Borton's home. This guy sure likes to live in remote locations.

u03058_zpsqukgauld.png

"Advice?"
"I fancy myself somewhat of an apothecary. But Falk, the herbalist, rarely has the ingredients I need to make my special concoctions."
"Ingredients?"
"One in particular, Lilten, is quite difficult to find in Kalased. An old charlatan, Groval, always used to have a good supply, but he was run out of town several years ago."
"Lilten?"
"With such an herb, I can make many useful household items; crabweed killer, berry fermenter, lots of different things. What's more, if you can find some for me, I will tell you the word needed to enter Pradaqa Tower."
"Okay, so where's this charlatan you spoke about?"
"He used to invite all the young dwarves over to his house to play. The townspeople, although lacking proof of any funny business, could no longer tolerate his behavior. He was run out of town and was last seen heading west towards Amqal."

So we have ourselves a fetch quest. Great. I hope this guy won't be too hard to find.

u03059_zpsfrj3uugx.png

It's getting late, so we went to the inn and rent a room for the night.

u03060_zpskg5vnisk.png

On the next morning, we went to the tavern and met some more people.

"Advice?"
greendwarf "It is too bad that the fighting between ourselves and clan Morin is so intense. It would be nice to exchange rumors with the women of their clan."
"Rumors?"
greendwarf "Rumor has it that a crazy man living to the north, by the ice, says he can make dwarves float across the ocean, but he says you need a special hammer that's hidden in Delqafi. Also, I hear that Trillax sells teleportal tiles."

u03061_zpschibahlq.png

"Advice?"
"On the altars of the trapped gods are words which are rumored to free the gods temporarily. Those who free a god are rewarded. A god can affect the world in many ways, if he is prepared when summoned."

But wasn't it Rohrkhad himself who had imprisoned these gods? Should we really try to free them?

u03062_zpsaix3peoj.png

Oh well, I think we're doing with gathering information in this town. Before we go looking for the charlatan, though, we decided to look for the locations Phizliphf talked about. We shall first go for the shrine located to the northwest of Haraza.

u03063_zpszdfp9kpv.png

Huh? A brick building near Phoroshe? I don't think that tlengle ever said anything about this.

u03064_zpsmyrrh3ql.png

Oh, it's a teleportal!

u03065_zps75e0knqi.png

We can't use this portal since we don't possess any teleportal tiles at the moment. It's nice to know that it's here, though.

u03066_zpsgvokaqbh.png

That's the shrine we're looking for.

u03067_zps4griea9h.png

u03068_zpsxf8cn2kv.png

u03069_zpsh5lnxjka.png

Uhm. So we have gods of air, water and earth... I guess the remaining one is fire, then.

u03070_zps4ofcozkf.png

And this is the herb patch.

u03071_zpsyt4dndce.png

Nifts grow here. This is good, especially since I forgot to buy nifts in Phoroshe. We'll pick a bunch of those.

u03072_zpsqkynzshw.png

That's the sacred grove near Pradaqa. Pretty easy to find.

u03073_zps0ldzmxtx.png

Time head west to Amqal.

u03074_zpsu8y7wopn.png

Soon after we set our foot on the land of Amqal, we found a group of monsters tailing us.

u03075_zpszyhgaixd.png

Oh? Maybe we should try a diplomatic approach first.

u03076_zpsmodyl3hu.png

u03077_zpsvr2ohvfi.png

The taldors just surrendered immediately. Now this is something I didn't see coming.

u03078_zps97mjoxpp.png

We searched the taldors for valuables. All we found was a few coins, though.

u03079_zpsghbkgyul.png

A camp? Could it be...

u03080_zpss03ivomo.png

Seems like we've found the charlatan. That was easier than I expected.

u03081_zpssdsxhzzw.png

"Advice?"
bear_zpsrxx98tkq.jpg
"Befriend those your own age, Urist. Anything else makes folks suspicious of ya. But ya didn't come all the way out here to hear me ramble on. Can I getcha some lilten tea?"
"Lilten?"
bear_zpsrxx98tkq.jpg
"Great stuff and easy to find out here in the wilds. I used to sell it in Phoroshe, before they ran me off. I got a whole bunch if ya want to buy some."

u03082_zpsuffe4tar.png

We can buy lilten from Groval, at the price of 75 coins a pouch. We bought two.

u03083_zpsghs6gwva.png

Unfortunately, after leaving Groval's camp, we immediately found ourselves in a battle with... Sky sharks? At least it's not sky carps. Diplomacy is unlikely to work against these creatures, so I just had Maxon recall Acidball and started the battle.

u03084_zps3orogsyk.png

u03085_zpsq4iixodl.png

Maxon ate a gonshi, then killed a sky shark and wounded another with Acidball. These guys have pretty respectable HP, but Maxon does massive damage with his spells.

u03086_zpst9xwn6t5.png

u03087_zpsnlmm8xeu.png

Urist fell a shark with Aroten, and the amazons finished off the one wounded by Maxon. Then it's the monsters' turn, but they couldn't reach any of us, and thus was unable to attack.

u03088_zpsfj5buhug.png

We easily took care of the two remaining sharks with the help of gonshis.

u03089_zpsbueuv30q.png

u03090_zpszbjsmdhm.png

Most of the sharks only carried a few coins (don't ask how), but we found a sapphire on one of them. This is extremely good, as sapphires are very valuable.

u03091_zpsuyxdfifs.png

Returning to Phoroshe, we gave a pouch of lilten to Borton.

u03092_zps7hzvdu09.png

u03093_zpsghemmy8w.png

u03094_zpsrdwngbwa.png

Now we know the magical word needed to enter Pradaqa! :yeah:

u03095_zpsscumhvrr.png

One thing before we go to Pradaqa. We went to the herb shop and bought one more pouch of gonshis, which was all we could afford. Well, I'm sure we'll be rich after we're done raiding Pradaqa.

u03096_zpslvs0bbls.png

u03097_zps59ra5r55.png

Our first real dungeon crawl is about to begin.

Eric454

Novice
Great work. I love the Magic Candle Series, but never got around to Bloodstone for some reason. Good to see it here.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Arcophobia

u04001_zpsgmkueqbd.png

Here we go.

u04002_zpsddyyfkpp.png

Normal maps doesn't function in dungeons. Map flasks still work, but they consume an alabaster with each use.

u04003_zpsvoogfnz6.png

On the ground near the entrance are some "mysterious symbols". I'm not sure if they serve any importance. The thing about the exit is a mounted spear, and the arrow sign to the right of our party marks a door.

u04004_zpsjro5nfgk.png

Wow, this game even has party banter?

u04005_zpsiit2gqf1.png

u04006_zpsytbf0jcq.png

For some reason I apparently missed some screenshots here. We entered a room and was confronted by a bunch of taldors and a pennari (evil dogs who can howl to cause fear) but with Maxon's spells we made short works of them.

u04007_zpsvu7ia4cl.png

u04008_zpsvfr7b6aa.png

The monsters didn't have any spectacular loot, but there's a locked chest in this room.

u04009_zpszgdgk1uw.png

Urist opened the chest with a lockpick. Inside we found ten otalas (which is one of the tiles that could be used to activate a teleportal, in case you forgot). We took them.

u04010_zpspx1atgzi.png

Maxon also ate a sermin to recover from the energy loss from all the spellcasting.

u04011_zpsgv4ck6d8.png

u04012_zps7hpjhfzl.png

Some random screens of the dungeon.

u04013_zps4cxx9oes.png

Later, we murdered a bunch of pennaris. I also noticed that we could sometimes score a "critical hit", which doesn't actually deal more damage than a normal hit but can wound the victim, restricting them to a single action each round (rather than 2 or 3 actions as it normally is).

u04014_zpsy5vyzauq.png

Lockpicks may randomly break when used. It's very annoying.

u04015_zpsvzxigpbr.png

Inside the chest was more teleportal tiles.

u04016_zpsi5rbvmmx.png

A staircase leading up could be seen, but we'll have to go through another room to reach it.

u04017_zpskmw9ulhv.png

The room was guarded by two taldors and a "high"taldor. I wonder if that guy is strong?

u04018_zpszy9u7hl1.png

u04019_zpsmnw7rnwc.png

He's pretty easy to kill at least.

u04020_zpsfdem6up2.png

Totally broke. Even his subordinates had more money than he did.

u04021_zpsrksqmyen.png

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

u04022_zpssrbf48ou.png

More teleportal tiles. Nice.

u04023_zpspwsiasg9.png

It appears that there're actually two staircases leading up.

u04024_zpsrndxwgc9.png

u04025_zpscnofqlwh.png

Meh. I'm already getting tired of seeing those brown walls and floors.

u04026_zpsivlgpzqo.png

u04027_zpsbfwluv5k.png

Later, we looted an iron helmet off a taldor. It went to Endel.

u04028_zpsrqnp3edy.png

The chest contained some Aster tiles.

u04029_zpsieel1g02.png

u04030_zpsotv4zyl9.png

u04031_zpsmtnansbc.png

We took the northern stair to the second floor.

u04032_zps31gxjzvq.png

Tara has already run out of arrows. Urist and Volni gave their bolts to Tara, since it's not like they have any use of them.

u04033_zpsmultdz6n.png

I think we have 10 of every tile now.

u04034_zpsfufhnsm6.png

u04035_zpskjjnbaom.png

Shit... It's the dimelves. These guys are very dangrous, as they have a ranged attack that hits very hard and they like to focus fire on a single character. We have to be careful around them.

u04036_zpsbcl4gifr.png

Urist ate a gonshi and killed two dimelves.

u04037_zpsls2e3nxm.png

Maxon also bombarded the dimelves with acidballs, but since they have good resistance it didn't do much damage.

u04038_zps2sdnpbda.png

Still, with the amazons' arrows and Volni's axe, we were able to fell three more dimelves this round.

u04039_zpszpcprbpz.png

u04040_zpstbsfirxd.png

Now it's the monsters' turn. They actually had a chance to kill Tara, but one of them randomly decided to shoot the last arrow at Halan instead of finishing Tara off.

u04041_zps74xzcwzu.png

Phew. We were lucky to finish this battle without casualties.

u04042_zpss0wearua.png

u04043_zpstimfs06f.png

The chest contained a bunch of alabasters, and one of the dimelves was carrying some henta tiles.

u04044_zps28e0iknw.png

We dropped an alabaster into the map flask to get a map of the level. This works like dropping pearls into bowls in MC1, but the automap in Bloodstone is a bit more of a clusterfuck. For clarity's sake: the white dot is our party, the black dots are doors and the yellow ones are up/downstairs.

u04045_zpskrgb4c8b.png

u04046_zpshpvoujqd.png

Tlatols. They're quite easy for us, since their low resistance means they die to a single acidball.

u04047_zpswi0xndqj.png

u04048_zpsnkdaeisq.png

The chest contained a heavy crossbow. Unfortunately neither of the amazons are strong enough to use it.

u04049_zpskfveo5jb.png

Up we go!

u04050_zpsp7jilhdz.png

Map of level 3. Quite a complex level it seems.

u04051_zpst08ki3gp.png

Here we get to see the pennaris' gimmick. They can cast Fear on our guys, making them unable to act for the next few turns. Fortunately they don't use it that often, and when they do, they seem to exclusively target Maxon, who has enough Resistance that he would only be paralyzed for 1 turn.

u04052_zps9p0vxr6b.png

u04053_zpsnk1zdo4y.png

This hightaldor was much richer than the one before. The chest also contained some coins.

u04054_zpsa7daozui.png

Once a room is cleared of monsters, we can then rest there. I had Halan learn some Shield spells because I got the feeling that we'll be running into spellcasters soon.
SHIELD erects a magical shield around the target. The shield protects against magical attacks only, not against physical attacks, poison or illness. The strength of the shield depends on the caster's skill. Several shield spells can be cast upon the same target, until the shield value of the target reaches its maximum.

u04055_zpsbxywhn5z.png

Halan repeatedly casted the Shield spell until everybody had 99 shield.

u04056_zpssx8mh1j9.png

u04057_zpsi14ype0p.png

Later, we looted another iron helmet off a bunch of enemies and gave it to Maxon.

u04058_zps0o1camsa.png

Also, the chest turned out to be trapped, and Urist is now ill. Illness is an annoying status that halves your maximum health and energy. Fortunately we have some medicins that can cure illness.

u04059_zpss0vwu2yy.png

The chest contained a broadsword which went to Halan.

u04060_zpsev7yxjgv.png

Annoyingly, while using a medicin does cure illness, the lost health and energy still won't be restored, forcing you to rest or use consumables to recover.

u04061_zps1ei6zfny.png

We haven't fully explored this level yet, but who cares. We'll come back later. For now let's keep ascending.

u04062_zpsqex68jrp.png

Huh. The layout of this level is unlike the previous ones. There isn't even any rooms.

u04063_zpsg5m9svya.png

I got the feeling that there might be a few monster groups waiting in ambush, so I had Urist cast the Sense spell.
SENSE detects ambushes before they happen. The caster will become aware of the general direction of the nearest ambush waiting within the spell's range. (The range depends on the caster's magic skill.) If you decide to proceed into the area of the sensed ambush, the enemies will lose their advantage of surprise.
We weren't able to detect anything with the spell, though, and in the end we never did get ambushed by anything on this level.

u04064_zpsxrzci6o2.png

Here's the sole interesting feature on this level, a chest.

u04065_zpsfr9qyzxo.png

But this chest contained an unusually large number of treasure!

u04066_zpsqcbhmawk.png

In total, we got a second map flask, 5 sapphires, 3 mirgets, and 5 of every teleportal tile. Nice! :incline:

u04067_zpsnqrmughw.png

Up again.

u04068_zpsnuibbl6r.png

Oddly, when we take the stairs they actually took us all the way up to level 6. I guess there's another stair on this level that leads down to level 5.

u04069_zpsxtrplqbo.png

u04070_zpstior2usr.png

After slaying a bunch of tlatols, we found a greataxe in a chest. I wanted to give it to Volni, but she's not strong enough to wield it, and Urist has no use for it because he already has Aroten. Oh well, we'll still keep it around.

u04071_zps2fgtrzvk.png

We're finally starting to run into taldormages. These guys are pretty dangrous, as you're about to see.

u04072_zpsj6k5rgjm.png

u04073_zpslforello.png

Direct damage spells aren't effective against the taldormages, since they all have high resistance and come with shields on top of that.

u04074_zpsqzqxlflv.png

Maxon ended up blasting the hightaldor down to 1 health instead.

u04075_zpsvs2k3ikj.png

Physical attacks are more effective, but even with the help of gonshis our fighters still couldn't reach the enemy mages on this turn. The amazons managed to down two with their arrows though.

u04076_zpsggucyv8y.png

Now it's the monsters' turn. Taldormages know the Shatter spell and they like to spam it.

u04077_zpsfdhsrrja.png

u04078_zpsirz2h84n.png

All of our party members were well protected with shields, but through focusing their fire, the monsters still managed to kill Endel and severely wound Volni. Give them another round to blast us, and we'll find ourselves in deep shit. Fortunately they're not going to get another round.

u04079_zpshfdixpvq.png

The fighters ate a gonshi each and murdered all the mages, who have pretty pathetic physical defense.

u04080_zpsv8zymgrh.png

Once the battle is over, you must resurrect your dead companions. If you don't, they're gone - forever. This is why it's important to have multiple characters memorize Resurrect; you never know which one will survive the fight.

u04081_zpscslor3of.png

Anyway, Maxon resurrected Endel easily enough.

u04082_zpsbltcsshv.png

u04083_zpswawb6dvz.png

The taldormages didn't have much of value, but the chest contained two diamonds, the most valuable gemstone.

u04084_zps2m7nshyr.png

I had Halan replenish everyone's shield, in case we run into more taldormages.

u04085_zpsd3kvwxcz.png

u04086_zps0mf1rshh.png

We also ran into a bunch of hightaldors later, but we slaughtered them easily. Against pure melee monsters it's best to let them come to you, but that's somewhat difficult because in Bloodstone the number of actions a character get in a turn is slightly randomized. Hightaldors (and most monsters) usually get two actions each turn.

u04087_zpsytthu7ba.png

u04088_zps8wqnn3ds.png

We found a longsword on a hightaldor, but it's no longer of any use for us. Also Urist got ill again. :rage:

u04089_zpswani0jw5.png

Fuck! It's these guys again.

u04090_zpsupz7gbbf.png

I figured that since Halan can't reach the monsters on the first turn anyway, he'd be better off just get his crossbow out and help the amazons shoot down the taldormages. Also, I finally remembered that Maxon had some Imbecile spells memorized. Might as well try it out now.

u04091_zpsmdkxioj1.png

This time the battle went rather smoothly. Our archers killed four mages on the first turn, and Maxon turned the remain into imbeciles.

u04092_zpsrwghyydw.png

Being unable to cast spells, the taldormages charged forward in an attempt to melee our guys. Needless to say, it didn't go well for them.

u04093_zpsv0kqqzg9.png

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

u04094_zpsooxkmagm.png

Ok, I guess this is worth getting poisoned.

u04095_zpskpau0v9i.png

Poison works like illness, except it sets the victim's maximum health and energy to 1/4 instead of 1/2. Using a loka immediately cures it, though.

u04096_zpsr4c6blxn.png

Since Imbecile turned out so useful, I had Maxon memorize more copies of it.

u04097_zpskgrrtb3u.png

Going south, near the second downstairs, we were ambushed by monsters.

u04098_zpss7trjqvu.png

Two taldors killed Maxon before we even got a chance to act. Some of them also targeted Volni, but she's so well-protected that they were unable to hurt her in melee.

u04099_zpsxebackyb.png

Then it's our turn. Urist and Volni ate a gonshi each, and the monsters all fell in one hit. I think the numbers in this game is a bit fucked up. The damage is so high, and characters so squishy, that whichever side that goes first in a battle will have a massive advantage. Combat in this game feels like playing chess, except, you know, in chess you don't get to move all your pieces in a row. And there's no ranged attacks that can fire at any place and ignores obstacles. So, well, it's not actually like chess at all. It's just an unbalanced mess. I don't even want to think how it'll be like in the late game.

u04100_zpsbpfka6sv.png

But returning to our expedition. Maxon would obviously have trouble resurrecting himself, so it's a good thing that Halan also memorized some Resurrect.

u04101_zpsj9djttmb.png

Holy shit that's a lot of pennaris.

u04102_zps72jtrgel.png

Did I mention that pennaris die very quickly? Because they do. They have very little health and armor.

u04103_zpseom6yvsu.png

I had our frontline fighters use a nift each, to protect them from the pennaris' attack.

u04104_zpsqse0smot.png

But in the end, only this one pennari managed to land a hit on any of us. And now that I think about it, the pennaris couldn't hurt Urist through his armor anyway. We have wasted three nifts. :negative:

u04105_zpsw07x0ir2.png

We found some jade on one of the pennaris though. Nice.

u04106_zpsji4gt9sh.png

In case you're wondering how many coins we have scavenged from the dead monsters, here's the answer. And once we sell the gems we'll have more than a thousand more.

u04107_zpssrwtxiqx.png

And we found even more gems inside the chest. :thumbsup:

u04108_zpsaxsujh8r.png

Uh? What ancient evil?

u04109_zpspwwaqine.png

Oh, it's a teleportal. So these things are powered by ancient evil? Man you never know.

u04110_zpskrxji6ob.png

This is no time to consider using a teleportal, though. Up we go!

u04111_zpsa1yofeic.png

It's been seven floors already. How high does this tower go?

u04112_zpsq4oyoqi0.png

Oh, nevermind. Seems like we're on the last floor.

u04113_zpsf20dyqhl.png

u04114_zpsgjr63y6a.png

Taldormages. Easy.

u04115_zpsqkk9icon.png

Hightaldors. Even easier.

u04116_zpsg7optvtq.png

And it's here that we found our prize - the holy scarab of Dablak!
:yeah: :yeah:

u04117_zpsiiuznrs5.png

Exiting the room through a door to the east, we were surprised to find a man isolated here.

u04118_zpsxvwtvrli.png

"Advice?"
"I commend your fighting skills in reaching the top of this vermin infested tower. Might I lend my fighting prowess to your party? I know quite a bit of geography that might be of use to you."
"Geography?"
"There are other lands besides our continent of Tarq. Once I found myself on a mysterious island.
"Island?"
"The natives named it Tanala. I accidentally teleported myself there by using a Berat tile, an Otala tile and an Aster tile."

u04119_zpsad1hql7z.png

u04120_zps1j8s3qgl.png

u04121_zpsufs6wrbu.png

u04122_zpsgsujyqzi.png

u04123_zpscqw8cutu.png

Raran is another possible companion, and is basically a slightly better Halan.

u04124_zpsmmoru3sx.png

u04125_zpsbtutsmgz.png

However, the battles we have fought so far have seen Halan's skills improve notably. While Raran is still better than Halan in most fields, the difference is not large enough to justify switching out an old companion. Sorry Raran, we aren't going to take you.

How the hell did he come to hang out in such a place, anyway? Probably shouldn't trust him.

u04126_zpsrnej0t1n.png

Anyway, we may have the scarab, but we still haven't explored the tower fully, so it's time to backtrack. We went back to level 4 and scanned the level completely, but found literally nothing more of interest.

u04127_zpsiqhb1pnu.png

The third level had some undiscovered loots though.

u04128_zps5pn0brti.png

u04129_zpslxepwoh1.png

u04130_zpsmqlbafu1.png

We also encountered a bunch of spineless monsters who surrendered to us.

u04131_zpsg896xesq.png

The chest contained a greatsword, but unfortunately none of our guys are strong enough to wield a weapon as heavy as that.

u04132_zpskgpgadhj.png

Huh, a dead end? I got the feeling that there might be something hidden here, but discovered none. Oh well.

u04133_zpsrhxwmgaz.png

There're also more gemstones scattered among the rooms, which are always nice to find.

u04134_zpsn3fzjlpq.png

But we were ambushed again by a tlatol and three dimelves, who managed to kill Endel and wound Halan.

u04135_zps7rd4a4rd.png

As I was a bit stingy with the use of gonshis, the monsters lived for another turn. A crit from one of the dimelves wounded Tara as well, though they failed to kill anyone else.

u04136_zpsuaxrv6og.png

Still, we vanquished the remaining enemies without much problem. Also, I observed that the "wounded" status is automatically healed after each fight.

u04137_zpsatqlztat.png

We're running low on bolts... Maybe we should start conservating ammunication.

u04138_zpsl2ggn8cy.png

We don't have much lockpicks left either. Urist is the best locksmith in our party, but even in his hands the lockpicks break more than 50% the times.

u04139_zpssqdwigwu.png

Although this should solve our bolt problem.

u04140_zpsxicchdib.png

u04141_zpsyu981401.png

Later we found a suit of bronze plate in a chest. Armor upgrade for Halan!

u04142_zpsjach95gk.png

u04143_zps0saz4ccv.png

"Cautious" monsters will propose a truce when talked with. It's usually a good idea to accept such offers, since we won't gain much through killing them and besides, there's way too much combat in this game already.

u04144_zpsbdrbr4ic.png

After accepting the truce proposal, the monsters will leave, and the room will be considered cleared.

u04145_zpsbf74pdfr.png

u04146_zpsh21e6bda.png

We took another upstairs from level 3 and emerged on level 5.

u04147_zpsribsufr6.png

Seems like a pretty large level.

u04148_zpswhlxtjzg.png

u04149_zpssgkvlcas.png

u04150_zpsrpihmnys.png

Murdering taldors, looting gemstones. Good fun.

u04151_zpsczrzm59h.png

u04152_zps0wu3zfsh.png

Later, we were ambushed in a narrow corridor. The terrain was to our disadvantage, but we prevailed against the enemies nevertheless. Highlight: Maxon killing a taldor with a shortsword. :yeah:

u04153_zpszjp9b33o.png

Now this has potential to be a tough battle. There're too many monsters with ranged attacks.

u04154_zpstdq2yfs9.png

We only managed to kill about half of the enemies in the first turn. Maxon dumbfucked most of the remaining taldormages, though.

u04155_zpsgrrmmluj.png

The dimelf and taldormages hurt us a bit, but didn't actually kill anyone.

u04156_zps8ybki0hm.png

Phew, we've won. I was actually expecting to lose one or two characters in this battle, and to be honest, was it not for the weird monster AI behavior, we probably would have.

u04157_zpsgehrszee.png

And beyond the room was a dead end. I think we're done here.

u04158_zpsydecqfhv.png

u04159_zpsialrn08b.png

Going back to the teleportal room on level 6, we put down a Berat, a Dunha and then another Dunha, which should bring us back to Asarene.

u04160_zpsgzxkwqcj.png

And so we have completed our first dungeon crawl! :incline:

Looting the taldors' treasure has left us with several thousand coins, in addition to piles of gems that could be traded for more than 10k more. More importantly, though:

We have obtained Dablak's scarab, our first piece of treasure! And now we have to decide which chieftain to give it to:

A. Chieftain Torongo of the Tamars
B. Chieftain Rakan of the Morins
C. Hold on to the scarab for the time being and see if we can find someone more worthy of such a gift
D. kingcomrade*

* Any vote for option D will be counted as a vote for Rakan

Bonus Content: Spell Totem of Gimlai
The Manual said:
Gimlai's spells are of great aid to the party; both when in combat or anticipating it.
ACIDBALL hurls a ball of fuming acid at its target. The damage done depends as much on the resistance of the target as on the skill of the caster.
IMBECILE causes its target, which should be a spell-caster, to temporarily lose all spellcasting ability. The number of rounds the spell remains in effect depends on both the magic ability of the caster and the resistance of the target.
COURAGE is the counterspell to Fear, and can also be cast on a fleeing comrade to enhearten him or her to rejoin the fray.
SENSE detects ambushes before they happen. The caster will become aware of the general direction of the nearest ambush waiting within the spell's range. (The range depends on the caster's magic skill.) If you decide to proceed into the area of the sensed ambush, the enemies will lose their advantage of surprise.
RESTSOUL is an essential weapon against the undead (ghosts, thamalques and such). When an undead falls in combat, it is no deader than it was when the battle started. Cast Restsoul on a fallen undead foe to keep it from reanimating and rejoining the fight. Restsoul is useful not just in combat, but in any encounter with souls of the deceased trapped on this mortal plane .
LIGHTNING sends an electrical ball from the caster to the target, damaging all, including other party members, in its path.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
As you requested, we'll hold onto the scarab for the time being.

Going Academic

u05001_zpsyeb8firm.png

u05002_zpsf0caxzy2.png

Returning to the town of Haraza, we sold all of our jades (we had 21) for a profit. We could have sold other gems as well, but I have a plan.

u05003_zpsl79e6i9x.png

We now have a lot of cash.

u05004_zpsaz3msmof.png

Might as well sell the weapons we looted off the monsters in Pradaqa. It's not like we're going to get any use out of them.

u05005_zpsugciffss.png

u05006_zpsisskqhch.png

After that, we sent Halan to the swordplaying school for a lesson.

u05007_zpsotxu1dak.png

u05008_zpsave0gh3f.png

Now for a major gameplay change from MC1. You can no longer split the party. While one of the party members is engaged in some time-consuming activity such as working or schooling, others will have to either wait (essentially doing nothing) or put him on an assignment.

u05009_zpshqz5cvua.png

u05010_zpssujzo0wl.png

By talking to Halan and choosing the "assign" command, we could assign him to keep performing the current task, which removes him from the party. He also asked which sacred grove should he go to when he would be finished with his training. Unfortunately we can't assign him to multiple training sessions in a row. As you could imagine, this makes training your companions very tedious unless you're willing to waste a lot of time standing around doing nothing while he's studying. The multi-party mechanics in MC1 worked fine, why did you change it? :negative:

u05011_zps38fcvame.png

Anyway, having put Halan on assignment, we returned to Kafari. We have much business here, but first off we bought a ton of bolts for the amazons and Halan.

u05012_zpsc6g254l9.png

u05013_zpsusqh3id2.png

We also sent Tara to study archery at the local school. I tried to have Endel enroll for a lesson as well, but it turned out that a school could only train one student at a time. What the fuck? Not only does this fail to make sense, it's also annoying as hell.

u05014_zpscedzelhz.png

u05015_zpsveufrtuy.png

But now for the real reason why we came here. Urist is going to learn gemcutting. According to the manual (and my experience from MC1), a good gemcutter will allow us to sell gems at a higher price.

u05016_zps5cr7sgfx.png

Of course, since Urist is the party leader, only he can put others on assignment. If he himself is training, then others have no choice but to hang along.

u05017_zps2auoypjp.png

When someone is training, the "pass" command lets time elaspe normally until the training session is finished.

u05018_zpsixuhvsk3.png

:incline:

u05019_zps2pgcdvei.png

A few more lessons later, Urist is a pretty skilled gemcutter.

u05020_zps3x5trorv.png

u05021_zpsxzinoexp.png

u05022_zpsphwlvlet.png

Some rambling happened afterwards. We spent some time running between the sacred groves in search of our seperated companions. We had more trouble with this than I anticipated, since it appears that there's actually a time gap between a companion's finishing with training and travelling to the grove. Also it turned out that I had sent Halan and Tara to go to the grove in Kalased, when I really wanted them to go to the one in Asarene instead, so it took some time to track them down. During this time we also sent Volni to learn axe and Maxon to researching.

u05023_zpsvhtsv3yp.png

u05024_zps3g0qysul.png

u05025_zpsmxtdnve4.png

u05026_zpst2pf4v6n.png

Eventually the school stopped teaching Urist, saying that he cannot gain any more skill by studying here. I wonder how Urist might develop his gemcutting skill further, seeing that it apparently doesn't improve through use.

u05027_zps6a7wfntx.png

Hey, look at all those snow... It's winter.

u05028_zpsudv6b9rk.png

u05029_zpsg9vb799p.png

We went to check the sacred grove for our companions. At first I was a bit worried about their absence, but we came looking a few days later and they're there.

u05030_zpsp2b5lix2.png

Having reunited the party, we went back to Haraza.

u05031_zpsmyuhv2v6.png

Although the overland map is covered with snow, inside the towns everything still look the same.

u05032_zpsyylffyf5.png

u05033_zpsb6ku9ln8.png

Time to sell off our gems!

u05034_zpss96i2gvr.png

We reserved one gem of every type for ourselves, and sold all the rest. Doing so netted us about 12,000 coins. A character actually can't carry more than 9999 coins on him, so Urist distributed our newly acquired wealth among all party members.

u05035_zpsd89c1akm.png

u05036_zpsmpexpbat.png

u05037_zpsq9ab6kpl.png

Now that we have plenty of money, we could afford buying a rope, a sealskin suit and a pair of snowshoes for everyone.

u05038_zpsfojafjjq.png

We also bought a suit of steel plate for everyone who didn't already have one (except Halan, who has a bronze plate).

u05039_zps89hwjkki.png

After all the shopping, we're left with 9676 coins. Still a pretty large sum if you ask me!

u05040_zps5ehhv5dj.png

We also got a nice picture the first time we jumped into a river with our sealskin suits. (And yes, I believe that's a tlengle in the image.) We can only swim one square, which is to say, we can enter a water square from land, but we can't go from a water square to another. Therefore, swimming is useful for crossing rivers but not much else. That's probably good enough, though!

u05041_zpsaz9takrg.png

u05042_zpspevcq7mm.png

In Phoroshe we bought an Ashard totem from Trillax and gave it to Endel. I considered buying another Chalta, but in the end I decided we'll do fine with just one.

u05043_zps4ykdigee.png

Now that we're finished with Kafari and both Tamar towns, why don't we go to to Tulara?

u05044_zpsgdfr5spn.png

Our map shows that Tulara is to our south, but the path is blocked by mountains.

u05045_zps0rror1a1.png
Good thing we have ropes. :smug:

u05046_zps8ffwplz5.png

u05047_zpsq5qo1c1w.png

Welcome to Tulara.

u05048_zpsexu9zjoh.png

Time to get updated on the local gossips!
It is said that the Dimelves are excellent archers. Some even say they are mystical.

I wish someone would settle the clan feud between the Morin and the Tamar so the men could spend more time at home!

My husband once went to the library for information on 'teleportals'.

u05049_zpspqebst4u.png

There's a casino in this town as well. The games played are exactly the same as the ones in Phoroshe.

u05050_zpsc0ez2hwg.png

Look, see, its my new Bucky decoder ring!

Daddy says to stay away from strangers but I think you're funny lookin'!

Bucky! Bucky! he's the best! Kills more monsters than the rest!
how constructive

u05051_zpsxmag307t.png

"Advice?"
"It is a good idea, Urist, to be able to cast many different spells when you go adventuring. It is also helpful to know shortcuts to get from place to place."
"Spells?"
"The Belfon totem has excellent spell capabilities. I can sell one or more to you, if you wish."
"Shortcuts?"
"The loremaster has information on teleportals and combinations you can use to zap yourself from place to place."

u05052_zpskjk1t13k.png

u05053_zpsbem31hxj.png

Manteki sells the Belfon totems. Belfons are bascially a renamed Ishban, which was arguably the best spellbook in MC1. We bought two copies.

u05054_zpswop1mok6.png

We don't have much money left now.

u05055_zps7vv2f00n.png

Urist gave a Belfon to Volni and kept the other one for himself. Now everybody in the party owns a spell totem except Tara (who can't cast spells anyway).

u05056_zpsvbyux4bx.png

u05057_zpsmytznqtt.png

Evil creatures lurk in the swamps to the west. Steer clear of them.

The Taldor often have Pennari, Dimelves and Tlatol in their company.

u05058_zpsa3jpjxaj.png

Tavern time! Let's pester the customers with our random questions!

u05059_zpsageiz9nq.png

"Advice?"
"You should settle down, Urist. Get yourself a steady source of income, find a nice little place, and have a few children."
"You're not my mother, Mrs. Frena."

u05060_zpsc1pmr8fi.png

"Ale?"
"If you don't like ale, try our Fermented Unamarian Swamp Juice. Guaranteed to knock you under the table!"
You get one guess as to what we could buy anything from him.
"Advice?"
"When you're dashing about the countryside, be sure to keep on the look out for Bazards and other unfriendly beasts."
"Bazards?"
"Actually, I'm not sure how you could miss them. Giant green lizard-like monstrosities with rows upon rows of razor sharp teeth."

u05061_zpsj7egirpr.png

"Advice?"
"Mother has told me stories about how Rohrkhad, the dwarf god, plucked out his eye and put it in a statue to watch over the the Land of Tarq. When the statuewas broken, the eye was lost in the ocean. The dead eye is called 'Orb' now."

Hardcore!

u05062_zpshertk2v9.png

"Advice?"
"Do you know why everyone is angry? I think its because we're fighting with the Tamar clan all the time! I think, some day, Bucky will come and unite all the dwarven tribes under one chief!"

That's it for the tavern for now. There's not a lot of people hanging around at this hour, but more people should show up at evening.

u05063_zpskhk0p7q7.png

"Advice?"
"Have you met my crazy nephew Forzo? He is always spouting off some idealistic babble. Ah, to be young again."

u05064_zpsypkuup3l.png

u05065_zpsbukkk8zt.png

Here's the library. We've got a few things we want to research about. Let's read about teleportals first.

u05066_zpsvq3fhenb.png

--The north central part of Tarq comprises two regions: the great snowfields of Toren and the region of high mountains and swift streams known as Amqal. To reach Toren by teleportal, use an Aster tile, a Henta tile and a Dunha tile.

The combination of two Berat tiles, then a Dunha tile will swiftly transport you to Amqal.

u05067_zpsvstavg5l.png

u05068_zpsvc7rb7in.png

We then tried to research about the death mask, but it turned out that Maxon actually didn't have the skill needed to carry out this research.

u05069_zpsgbximgpg.png

u05070_zps2mgyghav.png

We were able to turn up some information about the taldors, though:
When Rohrkhad created the Dwarves, his misshapen brother, the foul god Palelil, in his jealousy and hatred, created the loathesome race of Taldor.

The Taldor had no thoughts of their own, only the repulsive thoughts of their maker. When Rohrkhad saw what his brother had done, his rage was like fire from the heavens, but the deed was done and could not be undone.

However, that his children, the Dwarves, not be mercilessly slaughtered by the new, hideous creations, he overpowered Palelil and forced a weakness upon the Taldor.

When Palelil was at his mercy, Rohrkhad decreed that the Taldor shall have a weakness for alcohol and that their tongues shall loosen greatly when drunk, revealing all manner of secrets, should the Dwarves be crafty enough to wrest them out of the drunken miscreants.
How funny... I thought this weakness belonged to the dwarves.

u05071_zpsxd5czyzk.png

"Advice?"
"I'm just a drunk, leave me alone! If you don't, Dablak, the earth god, will come out of his home in Delqafi and slay you all!!!"

u05072_zpszqquxoay.png

Speaking of Dablak, there's another temple to him in this town.

u05073_zpsj5je4uud.png

On the altar was the same prayer words that we had seen in the Dablak temple near Haraza. I guess they put in multiple temples for each god so that you can't get screwed by failing to find one? That's kinda popamole.

u05074_zpswoz79wyq.png

"Advice?"
"A good suit of armor, Urist, is sometimes all that stands between you and the claws of a hungry Almir."

u05075_zpsaiczveaq.png

Fucking useless text parser.

u05076_zpsu8yzwv9u.png

Baratas sells armor, though he doesn't have anything that other armourers don't.

u05077_zpssqklybtd.png

"Advice?"
"Don't leave Tulara without a good cache of my supplies."
"Supplies?"
"I have ropes, for scaling high mountains, shovels, for unearthing treasure, and picks, for opening pesky, locked chests."

We have enough of those, thanks.

u05078_zpsagez8qao.png

u05079_zpsxhwinm8l.png

"Mirget?"
"Mirget, properly administered, will make you attack with the strength of three!"

u05080_zps7x6dvw7o.png

That reminds me, we don't have much gonshis left. Let's buy a bunch more.

u05081_zpsportsqr2.png

u05082_zpsvydxu6uz.png

"Find?"
"Ancient temples and towers are scattered throughout Tarq and the surrounding islands. I'll bet they're full of beautiful stones."

Politara here buys our gems. At a slightly higher price than the gem trader in Haraza. I think.

u05083_zpsjluc0vbd.png

"Advice?"
"Hah! You bloodletting slayers of innocent beasts! You're just as bad as my bowl collecting uncle. Always trying to take advantage of everyone around you."
"Uncle?"
"I'm sure you'd like to know just who he is, but I'm not going to tell you. You are killers of innocent monsters, monsters with families and children. You so-called adventurers are the real monsters."

Fucking hippies man.

u05084_zpsekjeltoo.png

"Advice?"
"You stand on the threshhold of a very dangerous world, Urist! The lands west of here are brimming over with creatures of great power. You had best be well prepared."
"Lands?"
"The lands in that direction are far more dangerous than these eastern lands that we and the Tamar fight over. Journey there only if you have no regard for your life!"
"Prepared?"
"There are many things you should know before going any farther west. For starters, do you know what this town has to offer?"
"Town?"
"I didn't think so. First, spend some time with the loremaster. He can tell you about the 'Taldor' and about 'teleportal' combinations. Then find Manteki. He has a few interesting things to sell."
"Tamar?"
"Those pompous, arrogant dogs have no concern for their fellow dwarf! They pillage and destroy without provocation! We will not allow our heritage to be swallowed up by the self-serving Tamar!"

u05085_zpss9okdubv.png

"Advice?"
"Don't tell me, I know, you want to know about musical instruments."
"Instruments?"
"Of course, everyone knows how instruments work, but did you know that a good instrument is like magic? What I mean is that the better the skill of a musician, the better the magical effects."

u05086_zpsnwa9xo40.png

"Advice?"
"Allow me to add my mighty axe to your party!"

Ooh, another possible companion! Let's take a look at his character sheet.

u05087_zpsp6il34kp.png

u05088_zpsmtvq0aek.png

u05089_zpseg3aamwl.png

Meh. He's got some good strength and bravery, but he's pretty terrible in everything else. Sorry bro, Volni's ability to cast spells makes her superior.

u05090_zpsb4bavxnk.png

"Advice?"
"None in this town believes old Temra, but I'll say it once again! I's seen a man with globes o' clay, set them down then runs away! Monsters step there in the fray, and they die from the globe of grey!"

Ah, that sounds like the fireglobes. I saw them mentioned in the manual, although we've yet to find a way to obtain any.

u05091_zpsmjlgowtt.png

"Advice?"
"I have just returned from a long tour of the Unamar region. While travelling through that area, I discovered a grove, a teleportal, a patch of herbs, and the camp of a renegade Taldor!"
"Grove?"
"It's in the forest in the middle of the swamp just west of here."
"Teleportal?"
"It's at the northern point of the first forest to the west of the swamp."
"Herbs?"
"The herbs are just south of the Taldor's camp, but don't pick them all!"
"Camp?"
"The camp of the Taldor is over the mountains to the west, in a forest. If you need any more information, you should talk to Rolg. He has ventured farther west than anyone."

u05092_zps0dvwyucc.png

"Advice?"
"I unnerstand ya wanna journey to Hataan at some point. Am I right?"
"Yes... I guess."
"Well then, there's a lotta things ya should know before ya die."
"Things?"
"Things like where da protected grove is, where da ruins are, where ya can find helpful herbs, and other things ya might encounter."
"Grove?"
"Things can get confusin' out there, so listen close. Da grove is in a valley wit' a river that flows south. It's on da west wall o' that valley, and da valley is south o' da ruins."
"Ruins?"
"Da ruins are inna field surrounded by forest, east of a bridge. Dey're south o' Rulaan, da female barbarian city, and west o' here."
"Bridge?"
"Many o' da bridges to da west are guarded by nasties, and ya may hafta ford da river or go to its source."
"Herbs?"
"Dere's a patch of herbs inna forest, inna valley wit'out a river. I t'ink it's just east o' da valley wit' da river."
"Encounter?"
"A few people live out dere but ya definitely don't wanna meet up wit' 'em inna dark forest! Dere's two camps in a forest to the far west."

u05093_zps7le5koaq.png

u05094_zps4rtcmexv.png

We also tried asking him about the taldor's camp, but he didn't have any more information to offer.

u05095_zpswfs1m7fd.png

At this point I finally remembered that Dilkatek was the bowl expert we're supposed to talk to.

"Yes, you'd like to know of the golden bowl of the gods. It is buried in the caverns deep in central Tarq, known as the Delqafi caverns."
"Caverns?"
"On the lowest level of the caverns, next to a shimmering black lake, you will see a skull. If my research is correct, the bowl is buried under this skull."

Hmmm. Two pieces of treasure and a temple of Dablak? I think we should visit these Delqafi caverns!

u05096_zpsdj2w44rb.png

Ok, time to head back to Phoroshe. Why? Because we need a better researcher to learn more about Rohrkhad's death mask, and there's a school of researching in Phoroshe.

u05097_zps4hcuzci5.png

In the mountains of Senerat we ran into a new kind of monster: the epherus.

u05098_zpsxxmhlixl.png

They had a lot of HP, although they aren't very resistant to magic.

u05099_zpskpbhtdes.png

Their melee is poisonous, but otherwise they don't do much damage otherwise.

u05100_zpsqxs69uly.png

u05101_zpslq3obwea.png

We quickly dispatched the monsters, though not before Urist took another hit.

u05102_zpssuouqdsz.png

Turned out the bats (I think they're bats?) were carrying teleportal tiles. I don't know either.

u05103_zpsdeyyfavq.png

For some reasons, it seemed like the poison wasn't actually doing anything. I still had Urist and Halan use some lokas though, just to be safe.

u05104_zpsfep3jq9z.png

We made our way to Phoroshe without any more troubles, and Maxon learned from the researching school all they could offer. We also stocked up on gonshis and lokas.

u05105_zpsije2kxh7.png

All these activities have left us low on cash again. Maybe we should do another dungeon.

u05106_zps356kmxlc.png

On our way back to Tulara we discovered another herb patch.

u05107_zpsjil8qoog.png

Welp. If we had found this earlier, we wouldn't have needed to buy lokas from Rulaan. :negative:

u05108_zpshgykpft8.png

In Tulara, we were finally able to dig up some information about the death mask.
As has been told elsewhere, Rohrkhad created the dwarves from stone. The first dwarf he called Dahlkhad, or son of the gods, and he was radiantly proud of his creation.

But Dahlkhad was mortal and although long-lived, his end finally came. So great was the grief of Rohrkhad at his son's passing that he cried great tears of alabaster that fell all about Tarq and ran into the ocean, creating beautiful beds of pearls. The craftsman Amarant succored some of the alabaster tears and created of them an exquisite and elaborate death mask.

The mask he named Throshikhad, or 'Death Face of the God'. At this offering, Rohrkhad's grief was assuaged and he took the mask, placing it upon the visage of Dahlkhad and laying his to rest deep within the earth.
Well, that's... helpful? We now know that the death mask was buried with Dahlkhad, but we still don't know where his resting ground is.

u05109_zpsy6gd0q3d.png

Sometimes the game would refuse to let us swim, saying that one of our party members is too weak. I don't know what's the determining factor here. Skill? Weather?

u05110_zps7urvlr93.png

That's enough talking and training for one update. Time to do another dungeon, don't you think? Remember the abandoned temple mentioned by some people in Kafari? We're going there.

u05111_zps1lmy8h7j.png

"Sea Temple", huh? Well, this dungeon was kind enough to let us in without asking for a password, so let's see what they have in here!

Bonus Content: Spell Totem of Chalta
The Manual said:
Chalta is the totem of protection. Its spells are used to prevent harm, to remove obstacles, and to repair damage.
ENERGY restores the target's energy to its maximum possible. The maximum is lower when the target is ill or poisoned.
SEE is the counterspell to Disappear. When See is cast on an area, all invisible opponents within the area become visible once more. The size of the area affected depends on the caster's magic skill.
DISAPPEAR is the spell of invisibility. The target becomes invisible for a length of time determined by the caster's magic skill. While invisible, the target is protected from the attacks of enemies who rely on sight to find their targets. An invisible person can attack an opponent with no chance of missing, but an attack at close quarters immediately makes the person visible again. Magic and missile attacks do not terminate invisibility.
WALKWATER congeals portions of pools and streams, allowing the caster and his party to walk on them. It is not effective on deeper and swifter bodies of water, such as oceans, lakes, and rivers. The distance that can be covered during each walkwater spell depends on the skill of the caster. Several walkwater spells may be needed to cross a large pond, so it is important to plan ahead.
SHIELD erects a magical shield around the target. The shield protects against magical attacks only, not against physical attacks, poison or illness. The strength of the shield depends on the caster's skill. Several shield spells can be cast upon the same target, until the shield value of the target reaches its maximum .
RESURRECT is the most powerful spell in the Chalta book. It actually raises the dead. But it has its limits. The person to be resurrected must have been slain in honorable combat, and can not have been dead for very long. The Resurrect spell must be cast as soon as possible.

(Post more inane shits, bros! I need help getting this thread to the next page!)

Eric454

Novice
Great work!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom