Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's LARP the Emperor's Finest - a wh40k IF

Renegen

Arcane
Is this a choose your own adventure or just a story about some IG getting killed? Why waste a glorious opportunity for an engaging story if the 1 thing that adds tension to this story, the fear of death, is thrown out the window just to read about the most brutal way we will die. This is interactive, and as such we should take advantage of this interactivity by actually trying to live as the human being we are assigned. The russians died by the boatload in all wars, but that doesn't mean they actually wanted to die or take stupid risks.

Seriously, you can argue that we as a humble IG have been brainwashed to charge forth but to say we should charge forth because we are going to die anyway really takes the mystery out of this LP. It's like playing poker with fake money.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Did people really get so butthurt and emotionally scarred about the first PC dieing that they decided to pretend the point of this thread was to kill PC's?

Esquilax

Arcane
That's actually why I flopped - just because dying as an Imperial Guardsman is very likely doesn't mean we should go out of our way to seek it. Renegen convinced me. Going out of his way to charge into a hellhole when our character has absolutely no reason to doesn't make much sense.

Zaan

Novice
No, as other above mentioned screw that "we're going to die anyway" mentality. Instead let's try becoming The Emperor of mankind. :smug:

Gondolin

Arcane
Did people really get so butthurt and emotionally scarred about the first PC dieing that they decided to pretend the point of this thread was to kill PC's?

It's not butthurt, but the apparently Biowarian choice. Since our previous character died doing the sensible thing, it follows that sensible options are misleading, while stupid options remain stupid. Hence, there's no point in trying to play carefully and "win" because victory seems deliberately withheld from us. As such, the only thing left to do is make a glorious exit.

Kz3r0

Arcane
o this reminds me, here's another tidbit of knolijj)

Johanna was a blank. That's why everybody hated her with only kind of vague reasons (she was never directly hostile towards you, you just perceived it that way) and why she got thrown out of the SoB. also why you could have survived going into the hivecity
And I was the only one that wanted to enter there, glory to me.:salute:

PS:
1)Yes

Gondolin

Arcane
i'd question how biowarian is seeing the result of your ineptitude in handling several situations and even then succeeding in your mission (you coulda failed) before dying.

I said "apparently", which means that it doesn't matter whether it is actually a Biowarian choice or not. Some posters expect it to be Biowarian.

The root of the ineptitude (pun, blam!) lies in the fact that I have no idea how a WH40K soldier is supposed to act and I'm not going to read the rule books to find out. Since I'm not the only one in this situation, you might want to take the ineptitude into account in the future. As such, your LPs are very fun to read, but not so much fun to play. Well, I didn't read the ork LP because I wasn't interested in orks.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Voting not to voulenteer isn't going to save you. Human life is the lowest form of currency in 40K, and the last update made it abundantly clear the Lord General is a big spender. You're going to be stuck cleaning your lasrifle for a few months, get another reputation for being a limp-wristed coward, then thrown into fighting where you will subsequently fuck up all your choices and die.

Voting to voulenteer means we skip straight to the juicy bits, except the men will think us slightly more badass and you'll have a chance to engage emotionally with the commissar before she becomes a daemon.

That's what all you "Let's hide in the supply depot and suck up to holt" voters want, isn't it? Emotional engagement.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Been out of touch with 40k lately. What happened to the Necrons?

MATT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD

Ultracrons.jpg

Gondolin

Arcane
Voting not to voulenteer isn't going to save you. Human life is the lowest form of currency in 40K, and the last update made it abundantly clear the Lord General is a big spender. You're going to be stuck cleaning your lasrifle for a few months, get another reputation for being a limp-wristed coward, then thrown into fighting where you will subsequently fuck up all your choices and die.

Voting to voulenteer means we skip straight to the juicy bits, except the men will think us slightly more badass and you'll have a chance to engage emotionally with the commissar before she becomes a daemon.

That's what all you "Let's hide in the supply depot and suck up to holt" voters want, isn't it? Emotional engagement.

I'd say that nothing will save us, but that would annoy root. :smug:

I'll take staying alive and untainted over emotional engagement with a commissar bitch.

Renegen

Arcane
The root of the ineptitude (pun, blam!) lies in the fact that I have no idea how a WH40K soldier is supposed to act and I'm not going to read the rule books to find out. Since I'm not the only one in this situation, you might want to take the ineptitude into account in the future. As such, your LPs are very fun to read, but not so much fun to play. Well, I didn't read the ork LP because I wasn't interested in orks.
Pretty much all I have going on when thinking of what choice to make is WW1. People back then thought about King and Country and they believed it was their duty to be brave and put the king above themselves, but it was more complicated than that. The fresher the troops were, the more they were indoctrinated with propaganda or the ideology of the day while the more experience they had and the more isolated they felt from the public or their officers and they just cared about survival. Morale was very important. When WW1 got quite drawn out and the middle classes were drafted, these soldiers were overall more timid of dying for their country, after all they had something to live for. The officers, coming from the nobility, were 100% patriotic and fought bravely to the end.

In the first LP, given we were an officer, I personally went with duty above all, as most people I think. We could've deserted but didn't, and every time the mission was dangerous we moved on regardless. We of course had something to gain, we could get promoted. The average soldier thinking of being part of the first ship down, it's hard to say how he would react, maybe more information on our background could help.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Necrons
There is a dramatic change in the fluff in this codex (5th Ed.) from the previous incarnation of the Necrons.
The Necrontyr's empire was massive at one point, but the different Lords in the galaxy wide dominion started to turn against each other in civil war. To prevent this from happening, the overall ruler of the Necrontyr (the Silent King) started the war against the Old Ones specifically to give them a common enemy to fight against to prevent his people from destroying themselves. Of course, the Old Ones ended up kicking their butts, and in desperation, the Silent King allied with the C'Tan (who had been attracted to the pure hate and rage the Necrontyr held for the Old Ones, a common enemy of the C'tan) and agreed to the Deceiver's pact to give them shiny new immortal bodies without realizing what he was doing. The devious star god had in fact tricked the Necrontyr into giving up their mortal bodies and souls so that he and his hommies could gorge themselves on their tasty ass meats. After consuming THE ENTIRE Necrontyr race, the C'tan were pretty much the equivalent of Superman crossed with a level 9001 Super Sayian Goku, and so were basically able to hand the Old Ones their collective asses. However, after the Necrons helped the C'Tan to kill off the last Old Ones, while the C'tan were recuperating, the Silent King then ordered the Necrons to turn on the C'Tan in vengeance and utterly destroyed the star gods, shattering them into tiny shards of their previous power (which they conveniently collected and stored for later use). This coup against the C'Tan weakened the Necrons so much they decided to go into stasis to avoid the vengeance of the Eldar (the C'Tan had killed the Old Ones, but not all their mutant offspring).
Now that the Necrons have reawakened in the 41st millennium, their goal is no longer to 'harvest' souls for the C'Tan (the C'Tan shards are now their slaves) as it was in the old book, but rather to reestablish the great Necron empire that spanned the galaxy before the war with the Old Ones began. However, the overall hierarchy of the Necron people is gone for the most part, leaving each individual Dynasty to once again rule for itself. This means each Tomb World (or cluster of Necron worlds) is essentially a separate little empire to itself, with a full backstory and idiosyncrasies. While Necron warriors are pretty much just automatons, and Immortals not too much better, the majority of the upper echelon of Necron society retained some degree of personality.
So there is lots of crazy nuance to Necron culture that was never present before. The codex now has plenty of 'quote' boxes featuring memorable quotes from Necron Lords like other races have in their books. There are some Necron Lords who honor valor in battle, there are a few Necron Lords who trade with other races, and although an uneasy alliance apparently (yes Necrons and Blood Angels did end up fighting against a Tyranid Hive Fleet together). Oh, and there is definitely plenty of reason to have Necron vs. Necron action now (as the old feuds between competing Necron Lords flare back up again).
All in all, it is a major tonal shift. While part of the fan base recoils from it, the other part thinks that Necrons as they were had no distinct 'character' that each player could choose to get behind. Yes, the race as a whole had 'character' in how it was organized and functioned, but there was never any really good reason that a player should have his Necron force painted and modeled 'X' way as opposed to another player with his Necron army looking 'Y' way. People certainly painted their Necrons in different (neat) ways, but there was never really any good fluff giving players inspiration to do so. Although the fact that Necrons want fleshy bodies for "bio-transfer" is pretty effing stupid considering that they're basically awesome zombie robots, but whatevs.
The only real 'personality' in the old book was the Deceiver, and that frankly wasn't the Necrons, it was their god. The mindless mission that all Necrons were on was basically really similar to Tyranids...the Necrons were coming to harvest every living thing in the galaxy (yawn). While the goal of the Necrons was similar to that of the Tyranids, they both went about it in very different ways. The Necrons were an ancient race surrounded by eery silence, made of cold metal, enslaved by demigods to harvest life in the galaxy to sustain these powerful beings. The Tyranids are a biological menace from beyond the galaxy, driven by an insatiable hunger to consume and destroy. Differences aside, OldCrons had the personality of a plastic bottle, NewCrons finally got some halfway interesting shit going for them.
This new incarnation, love it or hate it, gives the Necrons a whole wide array of personality and every single empire has different goals and motives (not to mention paint schemes, markings, etc). This new incarnation succeeds in destroying everything that had already been established in the Necron fluff, turning the silent killing machines into a bunch of robots playing Egyptian political chess in space. Some Necron Lords are obsessed with finding the perfect flesh bodies to transfer their sentience back into. One Necron Tomb World was damaged during the great sleep and erased all the Necron sentience and has started basically commanding its Necrons like true robots (and is actively attacking other Necron worlds to take them over and keep growing), and there are of course dozens more little stories. The Silent King, after leaving the galaxy once defeating the C'Tan (basically exiling himself for the unforgivable crime of allowing the C'tan to remove the soul of his people), encountered the Tyranids in the void between galaxies and has returned to spur the Necrons into action against the Bugs (realizing that if the Tyranids wipe the galaxy clean of biological matter, then the Necrons will never find a form to transfer their minds back into).
Oh, and the biggest rival of the Necrons is now actually the Alaitoc Craftworld. Apparently they are the only Eldar who stayed true on the original path to seek out and destroy Necron Tomb Worlds while the rest of the Eldar got all caught up in their decadence and then the Fall. Alaitoc rangers have traveled the galaxy far and wide over the millennia (ever since the Necrons went to sleep) to track down and destroy or hamper Tomb Worlds from reawakening.
So with this new direction there is now tons of different possibilities for players to make Necron forces different from each other, and there are neat new takes on 'nemesis' races like Eldar & Tyranids to drive gaming plots, as well as good reason for Necron on Necron battles.
And as for totally destroying the background of the C'Tan, the codex does allude to the fact that there are lots of unaccounted for C'Tan shards (or maybe even yet unshattered C'tan?) still allegedly cast around the galaxy. The Necron are always trying to hunt them down and imprison them (in pocket dimension prisons), but this does still leave the door totally wide open for a shard of 'The Dragon' to be on Mars and for shards of 'The Deceiver' to have done all the crazy things that's been written about him in novels. Essentially, the full power C'Tan were massively, massively powerful, and the 'shard' versions of them are closer to the idea of what we had in the last codex anyway (something that can be killed/banished on a battlefield). And of course, as everyone knows, the Outsider is still on his extra-galactic camping trip, totally whole and crying over WHAAAAAT, HEEES, DOOONNE!!!. As he's likely the last unsharded C'tan, whenever the Outsider gets back, everyone is fucked. Everyone. Even you, the player, especially you, the player.
These are the new necrons.

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
2 Let some other poor sod eat the Vortex Torpedoes when the Inquisition approves their use.

I'd also like to point out for the record that 'sensible choices' were not voted for, and there was no bait and switch when they proved retarded. We had two weeks to disrupt that ritual, and we spent it allocating rations and lasrifle cartiridges like an idiot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom