Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's LARP the Emperor's Finest - a wh40k IF

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not even powers LG Castor and Caiphas Cain... Commissar Cain had? Fighting two weapons akimbo and manly handshake? :(

lightbane

Arcane
But-But Jensen already started with takedown powers, I never asked for this... By the way, what kind of lame cybernetic arm is this one, that doesn't have a correct sense of touch? In DH, the Common quality cyber-arm can perfectly replicate a normal, organic arm (no matter how artificial it looks), which means Shepard was given the shittiest spare robo-arm they had lying nearby. Also, either the ship is smaller than expected, or every major NPC has off-screen teleport powers.

PS: Don't forget to pick the Social Augment when we have a chance to do so, it will make future dialogues easier :M

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
which means Shepard was given the shittiest spare robo-arm they had lying nearby.
The =I= sends his regards.

Hey, he had to get back at us somehow. He wouldn't have to pull too many strings to have that new, state of the art prosthetic to get lost just when we need it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So anyway... rootbro said he wanted an index of sorts with the updates currently made.

M:

Act I: Limpwrist Mcfaggot
Part I - Character generation
Part II - Commissar Whatsherface (Bonus IG regiment image spam follows)
Part III - In which shit blows up
Part IV - Choose your next words with exceptional care
Part V - The Commissariat, irony and you
Part VI - Paddling up shit creek
Part VII - Welcome to crazytown
Part VIII - Everything burns

execute_of_imperial_guard_by_penett-d49vxyf.jpg

Intermission I: In the chambers of power

Act II: Medicae Shepard
Part I - Glory for the first man to die!
Part II - Character generation
Part III - The Inquisition requires naught but your mindless obedience
Part IV - Ground Zero
Part V - Corruption of the flesh
Part VI - A moment of weakness spawns a lifetime of Heresy
Part VII - Betrayal!

Act III: Shepard, the Redeemer
Part I - The rotten core
Part II - Suffer not the Witch...
Part III - The keenest blade is Righteous Hatred
Part IV - Redemption

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
2BY

We'll be the good cop to Holt's bad cop (I'm assuming this is still Holt, of course), and try to stay level headed. Our big mistake last time was trying to suck up to him too much.

ironyuri

1AY.

Slight tweak to Jick_Magger:

1: We've already led men against insurmountable odds (the hullghasts) and won, we should stick to our guns and be a death or victory soldier. Shouldn't chop and change our character.

A: Where Holt executes the men under his command, we will inspire the men with discipline and faith in our abilities, as we did those in the Black Hold. The Sergeant and others will be able to spread the word of Schafer the Redeemer, and convince the Forlorn Hope that all hope is not lost with Schafer around.

Edit- RE: 1A: Remember everyone, we've got a squad of fanatics including our sergeant as a "personal bodyguard", they will inspire the men with tales of our deeds in the Black Hold, and hopefully encourage them to seek redemption on the battlefield. If we pussy foot around, our fanatics might just lose their faith in our abilities and they'll become jaded like the rest of the men. We need to use our current achievements to further inspire a larger force.

Y: Holt has pushed his authority too far, he needs to be reigned in, but was respect to tactical decision making. We're no longer Limpwrist McQuartermasterbator, no need to be totally deferential toward him, and Z seems more likely to get us BLAMMED. If we have to draw these heretics out, and heavy casualties are expected, we hold the Baneblade in reserve and roll it over the top of the enemy when the infantry have flushed them out. No need for the Commissar to be rattling around in it getting it gunked up with corrosive atmospheric conditions.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
1BY

1) We've gone balls to the wall so far with Shepard. Root has repeatedly stated the reason we get fucked over is because we flip-flop too much. Stay the course
B) Walk softly and carry a big gun. Our iron will will make itself known without our blustering. Deeds, not words.
Y) Seriously, picking anything else in regards to Holt is just dumb. He's already demonstrated that he doesn't care for people sucking up to him and also that he's a vain, vindictive bastard who'll get his panties in a bunch if we try to step on him. Afford him the respect he's owed. Listen to his advice. But do not fawn over him.

And seriously. Holt wants a baneblade? Who does he think he is? Commissar Yarrick? Have him rip the power klaw off an ork warboss with his own hands first. Then we'll talk.

yarrick34b.jpg

Yarrick! :salute:

oscar

Arcane
1 - Even the Lord General is heartily sick of the waste and misuse of the Steel Legion this campaign has seen
B - As Jick said, good cop to Holt's bad cop
Y - Fuck Holt. But not to the point where he BLAMS us

I could have sworn Holt was not this much of a psycho in that game. Just didn't tolerate incompetence. Seemed more Git-R-Done than "Your trousers were not tucked within the inch specified by Parade Dress Regulation #4578?? BLAM".

Esquilax

Arcane
ironyuri: I'm not so sure about 2A) playing up our reputation. I'm not sure if it's very smart to play up the fact that we've gunned down our superiors in the past, and that we're now leading a company of men. Might invite some people eager to get out of this hellhole to off us as well. I don't think that you can rule solely by fear in a situation like this: these men are already pretty certain that they're going to die horribly, so how could we frighten them even more than the prospect of facing the enemy. What could we do that hasn't already been done to them by fighting in the campaign or being terrified by Holt?

If we want to inspire these men, B is probably a better way to go. A will absolutely kill morale, I think. We need to set an example that's different from Holt's and show these men that even though we're up against impossible odds, that we'll be with them every step of the way. I think it fits the best with the character that we've created so far.

As for the other choices, obviously we're not going to rock the boat too much with Holt, but there's no need to let him toss us into the meat grinder whenever it tickles his fancy. However, since we've played a resolved, victory-or-death type until now, we should continue going in that direction.

Z) Holt won't like it and he'll definitely have something planned for us, but we'll deal with that when the time comes. We are leading troops who are already resigned to the fact that they will die, we need every edge we can get.

1AZ

2) No point in throwing the lives of our men away, even if they are considered lost already. Every soldier lost because of a bad call from their officers is a blow against the Imperial Army and against the Throne itself.

B) The men are scared shitless as it is. Good cop it is.

Y) Aye, fuck Holt. Tempting to go Z) (could do wonders for the morale given how much the men probably hate that bastard right now), but given the fate of Major Valkrin let's not push our luck.

Esquilax

Arcane
Y) Aye, fuck Holt. Tempting to go Z) (could do wonders for the morale given how much the men probably hate that bastard right now), but given the fate of Major Valkrin let's not push our luck.

Actually, that sounds like a great idea for an EXTREME bro like Medicae Shephard. Come in with a gung-ho, glory or death attitude, rule the men through inspiration rather than fear, then undermine Holt by taking his Baneblade to boot? That sounds fucking awesome, man. It sets one fucking hell of an example for our troops, too. If he thinks that we're going to roll over like that little bitch Valkrin, he's sorely mistaken. Shephard is made of sterner stuff than the hapless Major was. I'm flopping to Z

That being said, I think folks are probably too hard on Holt here. The guy is tough-as-nails and his decisions probably make sense from his POV. Still, I think we can definitely do better.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1AZ

1 is risky, but A is a definite pick. Don't give your men false hope by pretending to be a nice guy, then ordering them to their death. If you want character consistency, if you want them to fear and follow you into the pits of hell itself, 1 and A is the only combination. We're cannon fodder. We're Forlorn Hope. Your job is to go in and fight so savagely that you gain the position against horrible odds. To achieve that, you must be willing to do what must be done. A cautious, or cowardly Forlorn Hope is a useless Forlorn Hope. Tell them the truth, that we're all going to die, and inspire them to DIE FOR THE EMPRAH by using yourself and your reputation as an example. Everyone dies someday, but those who die in His Service will sit at His Right Toe!

But having a Baneblade to ride in could help improve our survival, so Z.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
1. Balls to the walls, this is no time to pussy out. The Emperor Protects.

A. I'm assuming that this doesn't mean a complete reign of terror, but more that we'll make Emperor damned sure that everyone knows that we are in charge here.

Y. Although I think Z would be good too, not entirely decided on this one. Holt is a Lord Commisar and as such demands a certain respect, but only so much. This is still our unit and we make the tactical decisions.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
Holt is a Lord Commissar. Chances are he's well within his authority to execute whoever he jolly well pleases and get away with it scot-free. Remember, he's an extremely renown Commissar with a far-reaching reputation and plenty of power and is completely willing to 'deal' with people, we're the captain of a Forlom Hope regiment in the ass-end of nowhere with an already somewhat strained relationship with other people in high places.

If you're gonna go with Z, we'll have to basically make nothing but absolutely brilliant decisions from here on out, because Holt will be looking for any excuse to BLAM! Us and have us replaced.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
1 B Z.

We're the spearhead of the emperors benediction that is gonna swoop the whole planet. Who could ask for a more honourable position? Lets show our regiment that what we do, will probably cost our lives, but that we don't die in vain. For every heretic purged, for every daemon slain, for every witch crushed, we will redeem our lives in His name. While our comissar might have ruled by fear, he is still a loyal servant to the Godemperor, and he will recognize that if he wants the most zealous, faithful and loyal Forlorn Hope Squad to stay alive for as long as possible, he will gladly support our objective by letting us purge the heretic stronghold, eleven shots at a time.

Holt is a Lord Commissar. Chances are he's well within his authority to execute whoever he jolly well pleases and get away with it scot-free. Remember, he's an extremely renown Commissar with a far-reaching reputation and plenty of power and is completely willing to 'deal' with people, we're the captain of a Forlom Hope regiment in the ass-end of nowhere with an already somewhat strained relationship with other people in high places.

We're no "out of thin air" conjured officer. We had this rank before we shot our commanding officer because he went mad because of Komus. People surviving this shithole might not be known all across the galaxy, but he'll do his homework and realize what we've done in His name. Not to mention that we got tainted back down here on the planet, went through a black hold cleansed, with a bunch of zealous and faithful servants. He most likely knows about that story, and not the real one, and will respect us for it.

Btw root-kun, what other artillery do we still own that might support our advance?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
People surviving this shithole might not be known all across the galaxy, but he'll do his homework and realize what we've done in His name. Not to mention that we got tainted back down here on the planet, went through a black hold cleansed, with a bunch of zealous and faithful servants. He most likely knows about that story, and not the real one, and will respect us for it.
Respect will only get us so far if we're actively trying to undermine his authority, especially if we're making bad decisions at the same time. Trying to overstep our luck by jumping immediately from 'barely surviving a Hullghast and witch attack' to 'Going out of our way to piss off the guy with more authority than us and a licence to execute freely' isn't a good idea at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom