Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date
Been playing some CvS2 on Fightcade, I hadn't played it since the old arcade days. I had forgotten how utterly broken Sagat is in that game, it's fucking ridiculous.

Fightcade is really cool, though. Do any of you play regularly?

Generic-Giant-Spider

I tend to DABBLE in a good Fightcade bout every now and again. I've not played too many fighters recently but when I want to play classic/the good games I always go on Fightcade.

CvS2 is a godlike fighting game to this day. The last game where Vega was a complete oppressive beast before becoming Dan-tier forevermore.

Silentstorm

Learned
How many of you have picked up the Power Rangers fighter? It is unironically good.
Played a bit on Game Pass, it is good...but it's not my kind of game, not a fan of games that are essentially getting hit once and then spending 5 minutes watching yourself get wrecked in an endless combo or doing that to someone else and killing them.

Every character has those long combos, and assists to help them, yes, you can push back like in the Marvel VS games, but if you get hit or thrown once...buh bye, you lose one character, i guess they feel it's alright since it's a 3 VS 3 fighting game...but it just means every round translates into whoever hits first winning, and no, there is no way of getting out of combos, this isn't Killer Instinct with it's Combo Breaker mechanic.

It's an issue with the game, you either like the big combos that most players know how to do and kill you no matter what, or hate it and leave the game alone, the devs love those endless combos and have stated they refuse to put any combo breaker mechanic or any way of helping the players defend themselves other than pushing back foes or hopefully countering, so liking Power Rangers depends on your fighting game tastes.

I know people complain about DBFZ, but after stopping getting only newbies...Power Rangers:Battle For The Grid will make you wish the combos were as balanced as those of DBFZ and that is not a joke, that's how bad they are.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Like on the playground, I'd only play the Power Rangers game if I can be the Green Ranger or Dragonzord.

Silentstorm

Learned
You can play as Green Ranger, like anything in this franchise with...according to Google, 26 different shows, it's the first series that gets the most characters because only the first series was a huge mega mainstream success.

Every other series, if it's represented, gets at the very best, 2 characters, 2 come from Street Fighter, one is from the MMPR movie which is essentially a reboot of the first series and MMPR has 8 characters, and 3 extra ones from the MMPR Comics including evil Green/White Ranger, kinda evil but reformed Pink Ranger, and some soldier guy that got Black Ranger's armor.

No Megazords...you can play as, you can call on them to assist but it's basically a giant limb or sword appearing out of nowhere to help, and Dragonzord is an option, much like the first Megazord...and giant Goldar...who were the only giant assists you could pick and all from the first series, patches added two extra ones that come from S.P.D and Samurai so at least there is that, though the upcoming DLC has an unique Megazord never seen in TV which is a fusion of the 2nd Zords shown in the MMPR series, so we come back to the first one.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Sheeeit Goldar, forgot about that big nigga.

He best be top tier.

Silentstorm

Learned
Melty Blood has announced DLC, more 4 characters till the end of 2022, i guess it's to compensate complaints about the small roster but they could have said this before the game came out.

Also, there have been constant rumors of Netherrealms doing a Smash Bros clone, according to a leak it's basically Warner Brothers crossover the game with almost everyone you would expect...no Harry Potter though because rights issues are weird at the moment, apparently Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Shaggy, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Gandalf and Mad Max are in.

...I will say this, if it's true, Warner Brothers has better properties than Nickelodeon so depending on the roster, i could totally buy this game if it ends up being true.

Humbaba

Arcane
How do people play Tekken on a pad without getting immediate arthritis? I play on a keyboard and that's way more comfortable.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If NRS did a horror movie/action icons fighting game I'd be interested in it. This would also get rid of guest characters in MK hopefully. Please God.

Silentstorm

Learned
Oh yeah, they own Freddy Krueger...and that's it, i think they had the rights for Friday The 13th at one point but that belongs to the screenwriter of the original movie these days.

Oh wait, they do own the Conjuring and Beetlejuice, Gremlins too and i now want Gizmo in if this game is an actual thing.

I do doubt they will go for horror/action only considering they do have DC comics, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo and Lords Of The Rings, and those would be in, if Netherrealm makes the game, at least one Mortal Kombat representative as well.

And MK and Freddy would have to really dial down the violence, because there is no way we will see Bugs Bunny being hit by a X-Ray move or be the victim of a fatality, much less spill blood even after getting slashed by Freddy if he even gets in.

Still, damn, if this is an actual game, WB sure has some stuff, granted i am pretty sure they will gladly ignore some stuff, i highly doubt they will put Austin Powers in these days...and to be fair, Dr.Evil and Mini Me as a duo character ala Ice Climbers would be a much better option.

Jason Liang

Arcane
KOFAS X Guilty Gear collab was just announced. Everyone seems excited except me.

What are some cool Guilty Gear characters that I could get hyped about?

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Fucking gay it's not on PC.

Can someone just make a 10 hour loop of Shermie's idle stance animation.

The upcoming KoF game is coming to PC. It's PS4 and 5, new Xbox, and PC.

I'd be nice if the actual new KoF fighting game got the kind of crossover stuff that iOS beat 'em up KoF gets.

The platform fighters are coming. I've had a theory for a few years, not too crazy of one, but when I saw how massively more Smash Bros. Ultimate was outselling all other fighting games I thought: We're going to be seeing a lot more of these. At the moment Smash Bros. Ultimate sales are at 25 million; where the second best selling fighting game, MK11, is somewhere over 12 million. I think all the other fighting games are under ten million.

Really wouldn't be surprised if Injustice (or even MK) becomes some kind of platform fighter going forward. Bandai Namco (whose self published Tekken doesn't come anywhere close to the sales numbers of Smash) are the ones that have been making the last two Smash Bros. games for the past nine years, and it sounds like unlike before Sakurai isn't jumping back into Smash Bros. right away, so I'm thinking they just make their own Smash Bros. with the Jump characters they've got...although they've got a couple other big crossover things too. Got to imagine the Bandai Namco Smash team making a Jump platform fighter would outsell Jump Force pretty easily...probably in the first day.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Smash Bros success isn't because of it being a party game, it's because it is one gigantic cross-over especially as they began including other popular characters from various places that weren't Nintendo.

Smash Bros success isn't because of it being a party game, it's because it is one gigantic cross-over especially as they began including other popular characters from various places that weren't Nintendo.

I'd say it's both. People do love the crossover aspect of it, that's a great hook to get people in, but it's also an extremely user friendly series to just pick up and play too. Your average person is going to be able to just jump right into Smash and do shit far easier in comparison to stuff like Street Fighter and Tekken or even the easy to jump into Mortal Kombat games. I think even before Smash Bros. had become the big multiple-company crossover series it is today it was still outselling the other fighting games released around it, just not to the degree it would starting with Brawl; then again Brawl is the first time a Smash game was on a console that sold well. Although even if someone made a platform fighter and it only sold half of what Ultimate did, it'd still be one of the best selling fighting games, maybe the second best selling; a third they'd still be outselling Tekken 7 and SF4.

But that aside, Namco Bandia does have the license to make Jump manga games, and they made a few Jump crossover games last decade. They make Jump crossover games, they make mech anime crossover games with the with Super Robot Wars, and they made those Sega/Capcom/Namco Bandia Project X Zone games...so wrangling in license would seem to be something they wouldn't have much problem doing. "Goku in Smash" may as well be a meme at this point, well, since the Smash Bros. team is made up of Namco Bandia people a Smash Bros. style game with Goku could easily be something they do.

As for MK or Injustice (or the rumored Marvel or DC vs Marvel) as a platform fighter, well, the Injustice games don't exactly seem to sell as well as MK. Given how little they talk about Injustice numbers after release I'd guess it sells nowhere near as well as Mortal Kombat, so I could see them looking to change things up with that series if they keep staying with it. Given how much those guys have always loved stage interaction stuff, going platform fighter (even if more like Smash's Stamina mode) kind of makes sense as well; like all that stage stuff they've been doing recently they could still do, and things like Death Traps from the PS2 and Xbox era of MK games could be done again. The NetherRealm guys are also not above following what's big at the moment; when 3D fighters were big the MK series jump to being a 3D fighter, when Street Fighter 4 was making headlines MK jumped back to being a traditional 2D fighting series.

Last edited:

just

Liturgist
not really a fan of having no motion inputs but ok
at least cannon brothers are behind it so it cant be total shit
will play if there are hot chicks with big tits

Generic-Giant-Spider

Looks surprisingly decent considering this is a first attempt at a fighting game. I kind of roll my eyes these days when they talk about wanting new players to ease into the game and then proceed to talk about netcode which is something only hardcore fighting game fans will give a shit about rather than additional single player modes or a big roster. Most casual fans will likely touch online a few times and drop it soon if they're getting consistently annihilated by sharks in the water unless they can do something similar to Strive's floor-lobby matchmaking system to try and even the skill levels.

Reason why many fighting games struggle to capture the casual audience that a game like MK has on lock is because there's nothing for casual players to do but fight online. Take more cues from games like MK9, Soul Calibur 2/3, Alpha 3, etc. A casual hearing about great netcode means nothing if they don't even stick around for a month.

With that said, WHERE SHACO?

The developers are the ones that made that robot fighting game half a decade ago, and before that one of them created the GGPO rollback net code a number of fighting games (and a few other things) use.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Make me remember that blazblue : CT they were already 4 shortcut for special, tied to the left analogic stick. I thought it was a neat idea and a shame that you could not choose yourself wich special are put on shortcut, because it was a good way for beginner to help them master a character : it allowed you to learn how and when to use special move before mastering the input.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I think the Gran Blue fighting game did similar as well with how the LoL fighter is doing easy inputs.

Generic-Giant-Spider

As the world gets gayer, SNK makes you straighter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom