Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date
I love Fightcade as a concept and the functionality is great, but playing against unknown randos can be an exercise in frustration because of the rampant macro/cheat use. If you're even a little bit competitive, chances are you'll feel very frustrated after random SFA3 scrub #384781 lands his 30th perfect optimized crouch cancel combo with V-ism Sakura, while lacking basic fundamental knowledge about fighting games in general. It's so obvious.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love Fightcade as a concept and the functionality is great, but playing against unknown randos can be an exercise in frustration because of the rampant macro/cheat use. If you're even a little bit competitive, chances are you'll feel very frustrated after random SFA3 scrub #384781 lands his 30th perfect optimized crouch cancel combo with V-ism Sakura, while lacking basic fundamental knowledge about fighting games in general. It's so obvious.

This is pissing me off just reading it, so... :hahano:

So I've been following some of the closed beta stuff with that MultiVersus game. I have a prediction, and it's that that game is going to be fucking huge.

Hopefully its mega success as a free-to-play game finally gets the Japanese developers off their fucking asses on this. Harada seems to have an irrational worry that F2P can't work for fighting games despite the biggest and most profitable fighting games as a genre ever were was in the arcades days when, while not free, they were just a quarter to play.

I do think we'll see some more Japanese platform fighters seen. That leaked Rockman Duel game really sounds like a fighting game, and if Capcom is building a new fighting game around Mega Man, I'd imagine it's some type of platform fighter. I would've thought Bandai Namco would've taken their Smash Bros. team and put them to work on some Jump branded Smash Bros. game; but if those rumors that Bandai Namco is making the new Killer Instinct for Microsoft are true, and given Smash Bros. sales in comparison to all other fighting games, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went to them to make a Killer Instinct platform fighter. It's like, if you're going to them to make your fighting game than it's probably either a platform fighter or it's some type of 3D fighter. If they wanted to keep things normal 2D, they probably could've had someone like Eighting, Dimps, Arika, CyberConnect2, French Bread, Subtle Style, Studio Saizensen, or Arc System Works...that's if it's even true that Bandai Namco is even making Killer Instinct.
Hopefully it fails miserably. All games of that type are for retarded children, but especially some design-by-committee derivative turd by some shitcorp like WB.

It's going to be fucking huge. Word of mouth from the closed beta was great, (much better than I was expecting, and even the people playing it seem surprised) and it's going to be a free game with cross-play. Look at the numbers on that Brawlhalla game Ubisoft has, MultiVersus is going to be vastly bigger.

Generic-Giant-Spider

According to this Capcom Fighting Collection just released, I'm still a beast at Gem Fighter and Super Puzzle.

Irata

Scholar
KB&M is way better than a controller for fighting games. Especially 6 button ones.

The Mixbox seems like the best of both worlds.
https://www.mixboxarcade.com/
Mixbox_Black_edition_540x.png

Mixbox_Black_edition12degree_540x.png

Or just make your own for a lot less.

somerandomdude

Learned

I used to play on GGPO, and I ran into the same thing there. I used to play Super Turbo and 3rd strike on there (wasn't that big into 3rd strike), and there were certainly some macro users on that game. When you see quite a complex string of moves repeated consistently, and with perfect execution, literally the exact same sequence repeated in the exact same situations, it's obviously a macro. A really good player would mix it up better. However, the ones macroing can still get their ass beat, because they're predictable. It's much harder to detect if they simply got one combo string on a trigger, and use it sparingly, and otherwise do normal inputs.

Worst I saw on super turbo was this one guy who played E honda on a pad who admitted he macroed the fierce hundred hand slap, and I honestly don't give a damn about something like that. It didn't make him a good player, I still beat his ass because he was ultimately just a scrub. Scrubs macroing inputs is honestly pretty funny, because it showcases their lack of true understanding about the nuances of the game, and the deeper strategy involved. Even if they got these macroed executions down, if they don't know spacing, and baiting, and counter play, and zoning, and controlling space, and knowing their matchup, it doesn't really matter, they're just slopping stuff out there.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Dissidia, the original one and Duodecim, still remain my favorite 3D fighters by a long shot. A lot of depth that goes underappreciated until you start really gittin gud and have to outwit your opponent through clever trap use, baiting them into a mistimed dodge, etc. Whether it's The Emperor's endless mind games, the teleport spam of Golbez, the top-tier movement of Cloud of Darkness, ExDeath just saying fuck you and having a counter to everything, there are so many ways to approach the game.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
What's your guys' favorite fighting game and why?

Power Instinct: Matrimelee (NeoGeo)
Really basic fighting game with a very ... curious presentation, INCREDIBLE soundtrack, and a great roster (including some characters from another underrated NeoGeo game that is Rage of the Dragons). It's a long running series that received no attention at all outside of Japan, and sadly came to a permanent halt some years ago. Like mentioned before, the overall presentation is very unique. The character roster has grannies, geezers, a Buddhist monk, a 6 years old fat child (who can transform into a furry, respectively man with a dog costume), a Amazon, an Idol girl, a black, bald comedian, and other oddities. The gameplay is fun, but nothing to write home about.

The music however is something else. You got really really corny, but very catchy japanese songs that deal about:

1. Buying PC Hardware in the Akiba Hardware Store
  2. A bachelorette finding love on the internet
  3. Dancing Monks
  4. an American love story between a woman in her 40's and her Hamburger and Fries (!)
  5. Fighting game players
  6. Friendly Aliens invading the earth
  7. Parodying Karmen Rider
  8. A metal band singing about fat pigs (Americans)
Well, now that I think about it, there probably is a good reason why no one bothered to release it in the west, lol. This videos gives you a great insight on crazy this series is:

Nathir

Liturgist

Parsifarka

Arcane
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, so far the only fighting game in which I have actually invested hundreds of hours to
become comptetent (that might change if Virtua Figter 5 Ultimate Showdown ever gets a PC release). Yes, yes, pretty girls and all that but the game really is good: it takes its clues from VF with all the flashy extended combos with hitboxes dependendant on the actual animations, cancel moves and distinct fighting styles and character weights but also explicitly incorporates the counter system as a core mechanic, and it's amazing. The vast majority of attacks can be instantly punished with a correct read by pressing the defense button and the correct direction in the D-pad, so a decent player can destroy a button smasher without actually making any offensive move. Added to that, the throws can get rather complex with specialized characters who are able to concatenate different grabs which, if not countered correctly (counter-throws are a thing of course), can eat up health really fast with impressive animations. There's also several statuses, stage damage, wall interactions and spots for special moves but even a couple of players who understand nothing of the game systems can pick it up and have fun as any possible button combination they come up with will perform a distinct, useful action different from any other character's +100 moves. Its apparent simplicity is most deceitful as anyone going through a character tutorial (or fighting against a high level CPU) will quickly understand.
It's sad the series is so overlooked because people get rosy cheeks by looking at cute 3D models (as if other franchises didn't have those) and thanks to the hundreds of spicy costumes DLC it gets mixed up with the cumware of the DOA Xtreme series, but anyone who approaches it objectively will find a very solid 3D fighter that is easy to get into but takes effort to fully master, specially appealing if they are into Virtua Fighter as they should be.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Gonna try out this DNF Duel game, might do the Steam refund strat of trying it and see if I like it. Seems like it's ultra casual but we'll see. Only characters that interest me so far are Inquisitor/Crusader/Kunoichi.

Generic-Giant-Spider

KOF '98 overall, probably UM FE edition because of the expanded roster and new EX characters as well as making Extra mode more playable.

I was never huge on post-Orochi roster additions barring some exceptions (I like NESTs-era but I cannot stand dumb kiddy characters like Bao/Kula, didn't like Ash saga as much except Oswald) and I like the more gameplay flow more. I also consider many systems they tried after '98 to be rather iffy. Strikers I wasn't huge on, the tag mechanic in '03 I didn't care much for, I liked the addition of some stuff like dream cancels, I'm not sure how I feel about MAX mode in games like 2002. On one hand I respect it takes work to execute but on the other I find it makes games lean way too much towards "touch of death" problems. I like 2002 a lot but it can be one mega goofy game because of MAX mode confirms.

Currently I can say I love KOF XV and think it may be an easy top five, possible top three KOF game for me. But right now KOF '98 is the pinnacle and has been for decades.

Melcar

Arcane

KOF '98 overall, probably UM FE edition because of the expanded roster and new EX characters as well as making Extra mode more playable.

I was never huge on post-Orochi roster additions barring some exceptions (I like NESTs-era but I cannot stand dumb kiddy characters like Bao/Kula, didn't like Ash saga as much except Oswald) and I like the more gameplay flow more. I also consider many systems they tried after '98 to be rather iffy. Strikers I wasn't huge on, the tag mechanic in '03 I didn't care much for, I liked the addition of some stuff like dream cancels, I'm not sure how I feel about MAX mode in games like 2002. On one hand I respect it takes work to execute but on the other I find it makes games lean way too much towards "touch of death" problems. I like 2002 a lot but it can be one mega goofy game because of MAX mode confirms.

Currently I can say I love KOF XV and think it may be an easy top five, possible top three KOF game for me. But right now KOF '98 is the pinnacle and has been for decades.

Yeah, fuck KoF post Orochi. 98UM is my favorite, but recently I have been going back to 2002UM as I find that easier to play and pull off moves/combos for some reason.

Generic-Giant-Spider

DNF Duel feels like I'm moving in a muddy swamp with no legs.

Game doesn't feel good to play.

Oh, this thread is back. When looking for it the other day, and despite coming up on the search and Google, whenever you clicked on it it was gone.

Project L is unsurprisingly going to be free-to-play.

The MultiVersus open beta has been going on for like a week now. Also unsurprisingly it's already like the biggest fighting game home release of all time. It routinely has over 100,000 players on Steam, and is one of the top games on there...and I'd guess the PS4 numbers are even higher.

Only a matter of time now before there's more big F2P fighting games. Still a surprise it took this like for F2P fighting games to happen.

Last edited:
Yeah Generic-Giant-Spider was shadowbanned so the thread was gone. Glad it's back.

I wanted to shitpost about DNF duel but I'm completely sick of it after playing for less than a week. Game needed many more defensive options (and a cheaper guard counter) to be good. As it is, it's pretty shit despite looking pretty and having a remarkably good netcode.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Anyone likes Last Blade 1-2?
I'm no FTG expert, but Shin Samurai Spirits is my favorite weapons based 2D FTG. It's basically Ninja Scroll, the video game.

In the same vein, I also really like Samurai Spirits 3 and Golden Axe the Duel, although I think they're considered broken af for serious play (SS3 has some tournies).

Last Blade series feels very conservative in comparison with the above games - standard fighting games where the sprites happen to have weapons. Again, no expert at all. Just my observation and thoughts after casual mame play with my wife and neighbor's kids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom