Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Let's light the Magic Candle... Blind!

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Monstrous Bat, Feb 15, 2013.

?

Who shall accompany Kodex in his quest to save the Magic candle?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Ziyx

57.1%
  2. Nazim

71.4%
  3. Jimbo

21.4%
  4. Nehor

50.0%
  5. Sakar

28.6%
  6. Dalin

50.0%
  7. Min

21.4%
  8. Eflun

64.3%
  9. Alhan

50.0%
  10. Amad

28.6%
  11. Rexor

64.3%
  12. Miko

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Monstrous Bat Arbiter

Monstrous Bat
    [​IMG]

The Magic Candle is a (supposedly) Classic RPG created in 1989 by Mindcraft. According to what I've heard, the game is quite good. The game plays very similiar to the early Ultimas (U4 or U5): roam in a large world, visit towns, collect clues, explore dungeons, etc. Is the game really as good as they say? Let's find out!

Plot stuffies nobody cares about (open)
    HEROES WANTED

The Lands of Deruvia are in dire peril. A band of brave companions must be formed. Volunteers
    report to our royal castle.

Rebnard, King of Deruvia.

This was written on the paper tacked to the signpost on the road to Phaleng. The young ranger called Lukas had hidden in the underbrush while the man in monk's robes posted the paper in the mists of dawn. He had read the paper at sunrise, and returned to his hiding place. He had watched a band of orcs tear the paper down, defile it, and grind its shreds into the dirt. Lukas well knew that Deruvia was no longer the peaceful domain of the Children of Light. Orcs and wolvinga from across the eastern sea wandered the countryside of Pheron at will. the Children of Light were still safe within their towns, villages and castles, but could travel the roads of Deruvia only at the whim of the forces of Darkness. But this paper must mean that the plight of Deruvia was desperate! How could the King expect to raise a force of heroes with a few papers that would not last from dawn until the dew was dry? Lukas touched his belt buckle - his only legacy of the father he had never known - and felt his destiny descend upon him. His years of service to the forests of Pheron were at an end. He must present himself at King Rebnard's court and do everything in his power to save Deruvia and the Children of Light. Lukas had gazed upon King Rebnard's castle from afar many times, but had never before left the forests of Pheron to enter its gates. The splendor of the castle was more than he had imagined: the towering ceilings, the intricate tapestries, the marble fountain in the main hall. . . . Lukas saw splendor, but could no marvel at is as he wished. A pall of gloom seemed to hang over the entire castle, damping everyone's spirits. The papers posted about the countryside had done thief job after all: many heroes of Deruvia had answered King Rebnard's summons. But all seemed to feel, as Lukas sometimes did himself, that this was not a call to a glorious quest. This was, instead, a final meaningless gesture, a hopeless sacrifice of the Children of Light to the powers of Darkness. Why were they here? Commander Grolf of the royal guard guided the heroes to their barracks, but he would not say why they had been called. The servants who cleaned their clothes and served their food, Dincher and Gelhad, had no idea why the call had been sent out. Sir Brontos, the Honorable Rimfiztrik, and the elf, Prince Nethien of Trilliad, drilled the heroes all day in swordplay, spell-casting and archery, but would not tell them why. Lukas felt nothing but frustration. In the bunk below him, his old friend Nazim felt the same. Something very important was happening, but what? Lukas glanced around the barracks. In the next bunk, Alhan was oiling and sharpening his gem-cutting tools, and Amad was sound asleep. No point in bothering them. Same story beyond them: Nehor asleep, and Eflun crouched over his spell book. Lukas wished, not for the first time, that he had taken his magic lessons more seriously. A few more months, and he would have earned his own spell book...it would have given him something to do on a night like this. Across the aisle was Sakar, the dwarf. Furiously sharpening his axe, Sakar did everything furiously. No wonder that nobody chose him for a bunkmate... Beyond Sakar were the halflings. Miko, Jimbo and Min. Lukas wondered once more why the halflings had been given barracks space.

Cute little fellows, and fine company, but what could they do to defeat the Forces of Darkness? Beat zorlims and trolls at dice? For that was what they were doing now. Playing dice. Not with zorlims and trolls, of course, but with three guards from the castle. No, two guards and someone else...Lord Bhardagast?? Yes, King Rebnard's Chief Advisor! The halflings had a wider circle of friends than Lukas had imagined! What was Bhardagast saying? As Sakar paused to look for a polishing rag, Lukas overheard a few words. The 44 guardians of the Magic Candle. They had...vanished?? Deruvia's peril was dire indeed! Suppressing a sigh, Lukas began to undress for the night. His fingers touched his father's legacy. A belt buckle. A pair of brass circles fused together. A device to keep his trousers secure on his waist and to bear the weight of his sword in its scabbard. Lucas knew enough of magic to recognize the buckle as nothing more than it seemed. It would not transport him through the skies; it would not turn away evil magics; it would not bring lightning bolts down upon his enemies. It would hold his trousers up, that was all, and even for that it would need the help of a strong leather belt. But that was not all. Magic was not all. Strength was not all. What the buckle gave Lukas was not magic, nor was it strength. It was certainly not comfort. All Lukas could tell, as the days wore on at King Rebnard's castle, was that his heirloom--a simple belt buckle-seemed to protect him from the descending curtain of gloom and despair. Perhaps all the buckle gave him was hope. Perhaps that was enough.

Oh, and of course, this is a blind LP, so no spoilers please!

TABLE OF CONTENTS
    Recruiting heroes
    Preparing for adventure
    Port Avur
    Stopping the trolling
    Seeking for Dermagud
    Temple of Valon
    The charming troll
    The other castle
    Gem trading
    Grave robbery
    White Wolf
    Zirvanad
    Crusaders of Khazan
    Crystal dust
    Gaining power
    Godwin's Law
    Levers and obelisks
    The Candle Repaired
    Bonus Update: The Shocking Relevation

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  2. Monstrous Bat Arbiter

Monstrous Bat
    Recruiting heroes

So let's start a new game!

[​IMG]
    First we have to select a difficulty level. Normally I'd go with the hardest difficulty possible, but AFAIK difficulty level in this game just determines the time limit and nothing else. Because this is my first playthrough, and also because I like taking my time, I'll choose the "Fair" difficulty.

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately, we don't get to customize our protagonist. He's always a human ranger, and we can't modify his initial attributes either.:decline: By default his name is "Lukas", although that can change. The game limits his name to 5 letters, which is way too short IMO. Oh well, Kodex will do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Thou art aware of the darkness that has fallen upon our fair realm. Forces of the darkest nature walk our lands, destroying all that is dear to us. Their aim is to prevent the brave children of light from restoring the eternal candle so their leader, Dreax the Demon, can escape to freedom. Alas, the four and forty guardians, who kept the magic flame burning, have all mysteriously disappeared. The candle melts! The throne needs a hero to step forward and face this dreadful threat. The magic of the candle must be restored and Dreax must not be allowed to escape!"

[​IMG]
    Naturally, I chose "no" for da lulz. :troll:

[​IMG]
    Oops.

[​IMG]
    Then the sequence starts again. Not sure if C&C. Okay, let's pick yes this time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Proceed the Knight's room where thou canst 'call' upon volunteers to join thee. Upon completing this task, return and we shall grant some provisions for thy party. The Guest Room upstairs is hereby appointed to be thy quarters whilst thou visitest our castle. Go now and may the gods be with thee!"

[​IMG]
    And now the game has officially begun! First, let's hit "0" to check the status window.

[​IMG]
    We're now looking at Kodex's status window. As you can see, he's a ranger of the race of Man. There're 5 races in this game: Men, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings and Wizards. Yes, Wizard is a race in this game. Anyway, let's check out his stats:

Strength does what you'd expect. It makes you more deadly with melee weapons as well as bows.
    Stamina is basically HP in other games.
    Energy indicates you vigor. You become tired when it drops low.
    Sword skill and bow skill affects your accuracy with swords and bows.
    Agility is your ability to dodge blows.
    Magic level determines the power of your spells as well as the energy cost of them.
    Charisma is your ability to get along with others.
    Hunter skill is... well, hunter skill. You can gather foods in wilderness with this skill.
    Learning skill decreases the time needed to learn spells, and also make you learn more stuff at a school.
    Dexterity determines how many actions you may take in a combat round.
    Speed determines the speed at which you travel in the overworld.

The first number indicates the current score of an attribute, while the second number indicates the maximum level. There's a limit to how high you can raise a single attribute, determined by you race.

Also note the "800 days" in the upper right of the screen. It indicates how many days are left before Dreax would break free and destroy the world. Hopefully we'll fix the candle before he does.

[​IMG]
    This is Kodex's inventory screen. Not much to see at this point; Kodex has 10 units of food, as well as 6 sermins, which would boost his energy when eaten.

[​IMG]
    Let's dick around with NPCs for a while.

[​IMG]
    You may ask NPCs about "advice", "rumors", or choose "other" and type in a keyword. Let's ask about advice first.

[​IMG]
    Good to know. Any rumors?

[​IMG]
    Hmm...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apparently this is all he'll tell us about Gustron and Veridia. Oh well.

[​IMG]
    Veridia is just standing nearby, actually.

:rpgcodex: "Hey, do you have any advice for us?"
    [​IMG] "Kids love Rimfiztrik."
    :rpgcodex: "How about rumors?"
    [​IMG] "I love them. Do you have any?"

Not getting much out of her, apparently. Let's try the knight guy next to her.

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "You must be Gustron. Any advice for us?"
    [​IMG] "Rates of combat schools vary from town to town."
    :rpgcodex: "Thanks. Any rumors?"
    [​IMG] "They say Thorin's hammer is stolen!"

I wanted to ask him about Thorin and hammer, but we still have things to do. Let's go to the Knight's room.

[​IMG]
    This must be the room!

[​IMG]
    Now we're in the Knight's room. First, let's check out the list of possible companions.

[​IMG]
    OK. Let's go through the races quickly. Men are decent in every area, and is the only race other than halflings that can max out charisma. Elves are decent spellcasters and can max out the bow skill, while also receiving a innate +5 bonus to damage when using a bow. Dwarves can max out the sword skill, but are very bad at dodging. Halflings are weak in combat, but are very agile and charismatic. Finally, wizards are extremely good at magic while abysmally bad at everything else.

Another thing to note is that elves, wizards and human rangers are the only ones who can use magic at all.

Now let's Call a volunteer here to inspect him...

[​IMG]
    Ziyx is an old archmage. He's very weak and slow, but still good at magic.

[​IMG]
    Nazim is the friend of Kodex. (Yes, Kodex has friends.) His stats are very similiar to Kodex's.

[​IMG]
    Jimbo is a carpenter. He's charismatic, like all halflings.

[​IMG]
    Nehor is a good archer and hunter. Note his high learning score.

[​IMG]
    Sakar is a strong fighter. Apparently he dosen't get along with others too well, although I'm not sure what gameplay effect this have other than a low charisma score.

[​IMG]
    In addition to being a powerful fighter, Dalin is also a metalsmith, which allows him to work in towns as well as fixing our equipment.

[​IMG]
    Halfling is the most charismatic race, and Min is the most charismatic of the halflings. He's also a tailor, but he'd probably be too busy running around asking questions to have time to work at a shop.

[​IMG]
    Eflun is a decent mage. His strength is very high for a wizard.

[​IMG]
    Alhan is a good archer, and can also cast spells pretty well. He's also the only gemcutter available to us.

[​IMG]
    Amad excels at fighting, and not much else.

[​IMG]
    Rexor is a solid fighter, and also has the potential of maxing out charisma. Also note that he comes with very good equipments.

[​IMG]
    Miko is strong, for a halfling. Other than that, not particularly noteworthy.

From these volunteers, Kodex must pick five who shall accompany him in his quest. Which five shall it be? Vote now!

(Note that any decision we make now is not final -- we can come back later and drop a companion to pick up another one.)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Alright, voted.
    Eflun, high-strength mage.
    Alhan, elven gemcutter.
    Dalin, dwarven metalsmith.
    Rexor, human knight (sounds kickass).
    Nazim, human bro-ranger.

Note, I've never played this game, so these votes have been cast without any metaknowledge. :salute:

^ Top  
  4. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    me neither...

i voted for Nazim, jimbo & Miko

^ Top  
  5. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Cool. Voted.

^ Top  
  6. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Have to have Amad in there too...

^ Top  
  7. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Alright, you have yourself a blind vote.

^ Top  
  8. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    This should be interesting. My votes go to:

1). Ziyx

2). Dalin

3). Nehor

4). Rexor

5). Alhan

^ Top  
  9. Rumsfeld Scholar

Rumsfeld
    Alhan - what's not to like?

^ Top  
  10. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Voted for Zyx, Nazim, Sakar, Eflun and Rexor.

^ Top  
  11. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I played through the first bit of combat after I formed my party. I love this game and the Lord of the Rings vibe so far but I'm still trying to get through MM7 and MM8 and the Gold Box games before I can get back to it. I voted Zyx, Nehor, Dalin, Rexor, and Miko. I leaned towards some of the characters because of their high learning and I hope it pays dividends down the road.

^ Top  
  12. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Ziyx, good mage to start with.
    Nehor, excellent ranger. High hunting skill helps flush out annoying ambushes.
    Sakar, excellent fighter. He was one mean little killing machine in my game.
    Eflun, secondary mage.
    Rexor, good fighter and diplomat.

Of these, all but Ziyx carry over to Magic Candle 2, which may be a consideration.
    Ziyx is an excellent mage to start with, but can be replaced once your rangers start learning magic
    I had a halfling in my party, but regretted not picking Rexor instead. The halflings are excellent in the early game du to their diplomacy and money making, but they make rather poor fighters.

^ Top  
  13. Monstrous Bat Arbiter

Monstrous Bat
    Alright, voting closed. I count:
    10 votes for Nazim
    9 votes for Eflun
    9 votes for Rexor
    8 votes for Ziyx
    7 votes for Nehor
    7 votes for Dalin
    7 votes for Alhan
    4 votes for Sakar
    4 votes for Amad
    4 votes for Miko
    3 votes for Min
    3 votes for Jimbo

Nazim, Eflun, Rexor and Ziyx are in. There's a 3-way tie between Nehor, Dalin and Alhan which was resolved by a dice roll. The dice says I should take Alhan, and so Alhan it is.

The party composition:
    Kodex
    Nazim
    Rexor
    Eflun
    Ziyx
    Alhan

First update coming in a few days.

^ Top  
  14. Monstrous Bat Arbiter

Monstrous Bat
    Preparing for adventure

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "We accept you, Alhan! You're now part of the hivemind!"
    [​IMG] "Part of the what?"

[​IMG]
    Recruitment completed! Now let's pay King Rebnard another visit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, King!

[​IMG]
    Alright, then. Now we have to locate the Guest Room. I think it's upstairs.

[​IMG]
    Found it!

Guest room is where you can have your party rest. The party members can do a number of things during the rest, such as sleeping, repairing equipment, or learning spells.

:rpgcodex: "Alright, listen to my command. Rexor, you go around the castle and interrogate everyone you meet. Ziyx and Eflun, learn some spells. Everyone else, get some sleep. We'll be setting off tomorrow."

[​IMG]
    Now let's take a look at one of the unique mechanics in this game. We can Divide our party to have them do different things at the same time. For example, Rexor will go around collecting information while others would rest in the guest room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ziyx will have to learn some spells. Magic works a bit like spell memorisation in D&D -- You must learn a spell from book before you can cast it, and once casted it disappears from your memory and must be learned again. However, in MC you can learn up to 99 copies of each spell at a time, and spellcasting is instead limited by energy cost.

Ziyx carries a book of Sabano, which is the book of conflict. Each spellbook contains six spells; I'll explain those once we get to cast them. Right now, I have him learn the only direct damaging spell in the book, Shatter.
    [​IMG]
    Eflun, on the other hand, carries a book of Demaro, which is the book of protection. I have him learn the Energy spell.
    Sermin mushrooms basically cast the Energy spell when eaten, which is why they're useful.

[​IMG]
    Now that we've assigned everybody something to do, let's Begin the rest...

[​IMG]
    And switch to the other party while this one is resting.

[​IMG]
    Now we're controlling party 2, which has only one member: Rexor. So let's start collecting information!

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Greetings good lady! Do you have any advice regarding our quest?"
    [​IMG] "Isn't Bardagast wise?!"
    :rpgcodex: "He certainly is, lady! Have you heard any rumors lately?"
    [​IMG] "They say he will propose soon!"

Unfortunately, we can't seem to get more out of her. Either Rexor isn't charismatic enough, or she really doesn't know more.

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Kid, do you have any advice?"
    [​IMG] "Do your homework!"
    :rpgcodex: "How about rumors?"
    [​IMG] "Ha ha!"

Useless brat. But I recall hearing that kids love Rimfiztrik...

:rpgcodex: "Have you heard of Rimfiztrik?"
    [​IMG] "I asked Rimfiztrik about 'teleportals' once."
    :rpgcodex: "Alright, thanks, kid. Goodbye."

[​IMG]
    Level 3 of the castle has a lot of closed doors. We could Knock on them...

[​IMG]
    ...But as we have no idea who or what we're looking for, they won't let us in anyway. Downstairs, then.

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Salutions, Gelhad. Do you have any advice regarding our quest?"
    [​IMG] "Ask monks about temples."

Uh. That's helpful, I guess.

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Salutions, great wizard! Do you have any advice regarding our quest?"
    [​IMG] "You must find 'cubes', 'spheres', and 'pyramids'."
    :rpgcodex: "What are these?"
    [​IMG] "Talk to Ferdo about those."
    :rpgcodex: "Ferdo?"
    [​IMG] "He is usually by the fountain."
    :rpgcodex: "Ah! I almost forgot. Do you know anything about teleportals?"
    [​IMG] "Read about teleportals at the library of Keof."

Alright, then. We'll have to keep that in mind.

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Hello sir. Have you got any advice for us?"
    [​IMG] "Buy cheap, sell dear!"
    :rpgcodex: "We'll have to remember that. Heard any rumors recently?"
    [​IMG] "They say trolls are holding all the bridges."
    :rpgcodex: "We heard that you know about cubes, spheres and pyramids."
    [​IMG] "My wandering 'colleagues' sell them."
    :rpgcodex: "Colleagues?"
    [​IMG] "Those that travel the roads."

We'll make sure to check out any merchant we come across in the roads, then.

[​IMG]
    Next, we shall ask Gustron about Thorin...

[​IMG]
    He dosen't have anything to tell us about Thorin's hammer, though.

[​IMG]
    Now let's check out the king's courtiers to see if they have anything important to tell us. Note that there're significantly less people in the throne room than before -- people in this game have schedules, like in Ultimas.

:rpgcodex: "Greetings. Do you have any advice for us?"
    [​IMG] "Ask Trikerviz about pearls."
    :rpgcodex: "Trikerviz?"
    [​IMG] "He is on the road a lot."
    :rpgcodex: "Alright. Heard any rumors lately?"
    [​IMG] "We are all doomed, they say."

How intersting. :roll:

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Greetings. Do you have any advice for us?"
    [​IMG] "Find old Lufer in Port Avur."
    :rpgcodex: "Lufer?"
    [​IMG] "He gathers 'mushrooms'."
    :rpgcodex: "Have you heard any rumors?"
    [​IMG] "They say Belazar is dying!"
    :rpgcodex: "Belazar?"
    [​IMG] "He is very old now."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More advice...

[​IMG]
    Hmm, another mention of Belazar. We'll have to make sure to meet him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Seek my kindred in Trilliad."

Trilliad is the elven forest, by the way. We ain't gonna get there anytime soon, though.

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Advice?"
    [​IMG] "Oh do stay for a while. It has been so dull lately!"
    :rpgcodex: "I'm afraid we can't, lady. Duty awaits us. Anyway, Heard any rumors lately?"
    [​IMG] "They say Banas is up to something!"
    :rpgcodex: "Banas?"
    [​IMG] "He is the king's uncle."
    :hmmm:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Guard are knowledgable about peoples' schedules."
    :rpgcodex: "Already knew that. Also, I don't think 'people' is countable. Anyway, rumors?"
    [​IMG] "The queen is depressed, they say."

That would certainly be understandable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Come see me tonight in my chambers."
    :hmmm: Suspicious. But I don't think it'd be a trap. Ok, we'll come tonight.

[​IMG]
    It's not nighttime yet, though, so downstairs we go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :takenotes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Seek Everos at Port Avur."
    :rpgcodex: "Everos?"
    [​IMG] "He is Belazar's grandson."
    :rpgcodex: "Rumors?"
    [​IMG] "I saw Sir Banas chase a chambermaid last night!"
    :roll:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "You may buy a Sabano from Azidamus."
    :rpgcodex: "Azidamus?"
    [​IMG] "Knock on his door at Soldain."
    :rpgcodex: "Ok. Rumors?"
    [​IMG] "I hear screams from below!"
    :hmmm: The manual mentioned a dungeon beneath the Castle that was sealed off many years ago. I wonder if we'll get to explore there...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Nuri the cook gives free food."
    :rpgcodex: "Good to know. Rumors?"
    [​IMG] "They say Lady Naran is in love again!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Beratt hides a secret, they say."
    :rpgcodex: "Beratt?"
    [​IMG] "He cleans the council room."
    Hmmm. :takenotes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Eat my master's food."
    [​IMG] "I hear screams from below!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Don't ever eat orc-food, it's deadly!"
    [​IMG] "The queen will go on a diet, they say."

:lol: As you have seen, rumors can sometimes be inaccurate and sometime be useless to us.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :yeah: Free food!

[​IMG]
    On our way back, we checked out the previously empty guards' mess room. Surprisingly, we found a man there.

[​IMG] "Bosekan knows a 'dwarf'."
    :rpgcodex: "Bosekan?"
    [​IMG] "My friend Bosekan gets here at noon."

Well, seems like we'll have to come here again tomorrow, at noon.

[​IMG]
    The guard here provided us with information about Beratt.

[​IMG]
    Hey, it's the royal chambers! Let's go in. :troll:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "You are sweet but you must leave the royal apartments now!"
    :rpgcodex: "Not before you tell me about rumors!"
    [​IMG] "They say Mikemira can alter the effects of black magic."
    :rpgcodex: "Mikemira?"
    [​IMG] "She is a guest of her highness."

[​IMG]
    The other chambermaid tells us about Mikemira's past.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This Mikemira sounds important, so I asked the guards where could I find her.

[​IMG]
    Oh, did I mention that you can switch between parties anytime you want? While your wizards are learning spells, you should switch to them once in a while to make sure they're not tired.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ziyx and Eflun have learnt 2 copies of Shatter and Energy, so I have them learn something else.
    [​IMG]
    We met a servant on level 3 who wasn't here before. He offers no intersting information however.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We don't know who's living here. We're looking for Banas and Mikemira, but neither of them is behind this door. Maybe we should try the one to the west?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :yeah:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "My power of sorcery is mostly gone now. But there is one last thing I can do to 'help' you."
    :rpgcodex: "Help?"
    [​IMG] "If you are down to ten days or less to complete your quest, and in dire need of more time, I shall make you a 'gift'."
    :rpgcodex: "Gift?"
    [​IMG] "At great risk to my life, I will attempt to cast a 'Neutar' spell."
    :rpgcodex: "Neutar?"
    [​IMG] "It should slow down the effect of the evil magic that causes the candle to melt. You would gain an extra 60 days to complete your quest."

Summary: When left with less than 10 days, come see Mikemira and she'll sacrifice herself to give us another 60 days. Got it, but hopefully we won't have to do this.

[​IMG]
    There're 3 locked rooms on level 3. We have already checked 2 of them, so Banas must be in this one.

[​IMG]
    :smug:

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Why must this meeting be so secretive?"
    [​IMG] "There is something about this castle that I think you should know. But I can't speak of it for I am under an oath to my late brother Ongar. However, I will tell you this much: read about Meardom at the library of Port Avur, and seek Bestul at Keof."
    :rpgcodex: "Meardom?"
    [​IMG] "I can't say anymore than I did."
    :rpgcodex: "Bestul?"
    [​IMG] "He is a friend."

:takenote:

[​IMG]
    Now only one room is left locked. However, with a little luck, we should be able to guess who's living inside. We kept hearing about a guy called Belazar, but we can't seem to locate him. Maybe he's in this room?

[​IMG]
    Success! :smug:

[​IMG] "Do not stay too long for my master is very old and not in the best of health."
    :rpgcodex: "Ok, we won't. Heard any rumors?"
    [​IMG] "They say some of the castle servants are enemy spies."

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "The king has told us to seek your advice."
    [​IMG] "Yes, I have some advice for you."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:rpgcodex: "Gods?"
    [​IMG] "They may grant you more power."
    :rpgcodex: "Temples?"
    [​IMG] "For each god, there is a temple."
    :rpgcodex: "How are elven maids related with our quest?"
    [​IMG] "Their songs have strange effects."
    :rpgcodex: "And what about halfling teachers?"
    [​IMG] "One may teach you how to be more charming."
    :rpgcodex: "What are gate prayers?"
    [​IMG] "They are needed to raise dungeon gates."
    :rpgcodex: "Who are gem traders?"
    [​IMG] "You may buy gems at favorable prices from wandering dwarves."
    :rpgcodex: "And what is the deal with Zirvanad?"
    [​IMG] "Ask Orbonn."
    :rpgcodex: "Where's Orbonn?"
    [​IMG] "He can be found at the 'library' in Port Avur."

Well, that's it for Belazar.

[​IMG]
    Done with his interrogating works, Rexor rejoined the party to get some sleep.

[​IMG]
    Incidentally, you can see how many 'ticks' are left before you wizard learns his current spell in his status window. A 'tick' is 5 minutes.

[​IMG]
    We rested until morning, then I had the wizards learn some new spells, and Rexor went off looking for Beratt.

[​IMG]
    :lol: Not sure if decline.

But anyway, we can't get anything out of him right now.

[​IMG]
    We went to the throne room at noon, and met some people who we didn't meet before.

[​IMG] "Go to Shendy."
    :rpgcodex: "Shendy?"
    [​IMG] "It's on the way to Bondell!"
    :rpgcodex: "Bondell?"
    [​IMG] "Home of halflings."
    [​IMG] "They say Banas is up to something!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Seek help of 'gods'!"
    :rpgcodex: "Gods?"
    [​IMG] "There are but eight. One sleeps in 'Dermagud'."
    :rpgcodex: "Dermagud?"
    [​IMG] "It's a deserted old dwarf mine in 'Uberion' that Bordal knows."
    :rpgcodex: "Uberion?"
    [​IMG] "Ropes may be needed to cross the mountains of Uberion."
    :rpgcodex: "And who's Bordal?"
    [​IMG] "He is probably at the inn in Port Avur."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "My kin are gifted with 'charisma'."
    :rpgcodex: "Charisma?"
    [​IMG] "Tonton may improve your charisma."
    :rpgcodex: "How can someone named Tonton be charismatic?"
    [​IMG] "He lives in Bondell."

[​IMG]
    Remember the Bosekan guy Gron told us about? Gron said Bosekan'd be here at noon, and indeed, there he is!

[​IMG] "I have a 'friend' in Soldain."
    :rpgcodex: "Friend?"
    [​IMG] "He is a 'dwarf'."
    :rpgcodex: "Dwarf?"
    [​IMG] "My friend Yodan the dwarf lives in Soldain. Knock on his door at Soldain."

[​IMG]
    Now that we're finally finished with information collecting, I switched back to the main party, had Rexor join them, and prepared to leave the castle.

[​IMG]
    Before we leave, however...

[​IMG]
    You may have noticed that Ziyx and Eflun don't have a lot of energy. That's quite understandable -- they haven't slept for a whole day. However, I'll have Eflun cast Energy on Ziyx...

[​IMG]
    And bam! Ziyx's energy is restored back to 99. :yeah: However, spellcasting costs energy as well, so Eflun is now tired and unable to cast Energy on himself.

[​IMG]
    Fortunately, one can still eat when tired, and a sermin mushroom immediately boosted his energy back to 99.

And so ends the update! Next time, Kodex and his companions will explore the overworld, slay monsters, and make it to Port Avur. Stay tuned!

Bonus content: Map of Deruvia

Here, have a look at the world map:

[​IMG]

We're currently in Pheron, the province in the northwest corner of the world. Port Avur is just north of the castle, about a day's walk away.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Yes, it is imperative we learn more about 'elven maids' :P

^ Top  
  16. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Can see why you need to take notes with all those names.

Like the look of the party.

^ Top  
  17. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  18. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Looks good, too bad I am too lazy forgetful to take notes whenever I play these kind of games.

^ Top  
  19. Monstrous Bat Arbiter

Monstrous Bat
    Port Avur

[​IMG]
    And we're now looking at the overland map. Our party is indicated by the white arrow. Note that the arrow is blinking, so you may not see it in every screenshot. Anyway, we want to get to Port Avur, which is to the north of the castle.

[​IMG]
    First, however, I have Ziyx cast the Locate spell.
    [​IMG]
    See the skeleton icon to the south? Yep -- that's the patrolling troops of Darkness. Once a patrol has found you, it will stay on your tails until you kill them or cast a Confuse spell on them. Normally you can only see patrols when they're next to you, but thanks to the Locate spell, we're able to see all enemy on the screen for its duration.

[​IMG]
    We went north, only to find another patrol in the forests. If we wanted to avoid a fight, we could turn away or cast a Confuse spell on them. But monsters in Pheron are pretty weak, so I figured we should be able to take on them just fine.

[​IMG]
    Here comes our first combat, against four orcs!
    [​IMG]
    Before the combat starts, there's a "preparing phase". In this phase you can position your characters, draw your weapons, and recall spells.

[​IMG]
    Spells must be recalled before they can be cast. I have Ziyx recall Shatter, and Eflun Energy.

[​IMG]
    We're done with preparations. Let the combat begin!

[​IMG]
    During a combat round, PCs act first, then the monsters act. The PCs don't have to act in any particularly order, though -- for example, I can have Kodex attack an orc, have Alhan shot at another orc, then have Kodex attack again.

[​IMG]
    In a moment of immense dumbfuckery, I had Alhan marching forward with other fighter when he should be shooting the orc to his right. :oops:

[​IMG]
    Ziyx casts a Shatter at one of the orcs, dealing 8 points of damage. Note the "stamina 15" message in the combat log; it means the orc has 15 points of stamina left.

[​IMG]
    Kodex missed his attack. Nazim's attack was more successful, however. He rolled 14 for damage, but the orc's armor absorbed 2 points (as indicated by the A-2 message). So Nazim dealed 12 points of damage to the orc, bringing it down to 3 stamina.

[​IMG]
    Rexor slays an orc. :incline:

[​IMG]
    And Ziyx kills another with a Shatter that did 41 points of damage.

[​IMG]
    Ziyx's energy is running low, so Eflun casted a Energy spell on him.

[​IMG]
    Alhan shot an orc for 8 points.

[​IMG]
    Note: the orc at the left is flanked between Nazim and Rexor when Alhan shot him. When an arrow comes for you, dodging forward or backward isn't going to help, so the orc is unable to dodge Alhan's arrow, making the attack an automatic hit. :incline: This works for melee as well, but you'll have to block all 4 squares adjacent to the target.

[​IMG]
    One of the orcs managed to hit Rexor. However, Rexor's plate armor absorbed most of the damage.

[​IMG]
    :x

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyways, we made short works of the remaining orcs.

[​IMG]
    After the battle, Kodex searched the orcs' corpses and found some coins. Nothing particularly noteworthy, however.

[​IMG]
    After a day's travel, we have finally made our way to Port Avur!

[​IMG]
    :rage:

[​IMG]
    Fuck those city dwellers. We'll just camp in the forests until dawn. Meanwhile, Nazim goes to hunt for food. I think we have cleared this area of monsters, but I still had Kodex watching while others rest. Better safe than sorry.

[​IMG]
    Nazim obtained a grand total of 4 units of food. I... had sorta expected more from someone with 70 hunter skill.

[​IMG]
    Port Avur, here we come!

[​IMG]
    First things first. We located the guest house, and rent a room for 3 days.

[​IMG]
    Kodex and Nazim will get some sleep. Ziyx and Eflun will learn spells. Rexor and Alhan have other things to do.

[​IMG]
    We quickly located the gemcutter's shop. For some odd reasons, working does not cost energy at all, so Alhan will be working 24/7. Capitalism FTW!

[​IMG]
    I divided the party again; Rexor has some more interrogating to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let's try our luck, shall we?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Better be prudent...

[​IMG]
    :x Ok, no more stupid gambling.

[​IMG]
    Hey, it's the magic school!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This school is useless to Rexor, who can't cast spells anyway. But we'll keep it in mind.

[​IMG]
    Aha, we have found the library! Libraries are excellent sources of information, if you know what you're looking for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Make sure you have a lens when you visit temples."
    :rpgcodex: "Temples?"
    [​IMG] "There is one for each god."
    [​IMG] "I hear Fubernel wine cures baldness!"

[​IMG]
    If you're looking for something, this is the guy to ask.
    :rpgcodex: "We're looking for information about Meardom."

[​IMG]
    :hmmm: Very intersting. Not sure how is this related to our quest though...

:rpgcodex: "We're also looking for information about hoyam essence."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Hello, Father Orbonn! Do you know anything about Zirvanad?"

[​IMG]
    :x Alright, we'll come later.

[​IMG]
    Rexor met this guy outside the library.

[​IMG] "Hear Fetrik's advice."
    :rpgcodex: "Fetrik?"
    [​IMG] "He's a night person."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Stay out of trouble."
    :rpgcodex: "Rumor?"
    [​IMG] "They say Scorpia can solve it!"
    :rpgcodex: "Scorpia?"
    [​IMG] "She is of another world."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] "No, wrong Scorpia."

[​IMG]
    We have found the supply shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The supply shop sells a large variety of item, all of which are very useful. Shopping takes a lot of in-game time, however, so we'll leave that for later.

[​IMG]
    The archery school. Again, we aren't training right now.

[​IMG]
    The tavern! A nice place to gather information.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Hire a captain to sail."
    :rpgcodex: "Captain?"
    [​IMG] "Garlin is here at nights."
    [​IMG] "The word from south worries the dwarves!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "If you want to know about Valon, ask Hokando."
    :rpgcodex: "Valon?"
    [​IMG] "He sleeps in Dermagud."
    :rpgcodex: "Dermagud?"
    [​IMG] "Old dwarf mine."
    :rpgcodex: "Who's Hokando?"
    [​IMG] "He lives in Soldain."
    [​IMG] "There is a dungeon under Lake Brelleht, they say."

[​IMG]
    This guy is useless.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "You can buy 'passage' from a captain."
    :rpgcodex: "Passage?"
    [​IMG] "Ask a captain."
    [​IMG] "They say Dolomar hides in Keof."
    :rpgcodex: "Dolomar?"
    [​IMG] "He knows the mad one."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What are these two chicks doing, anyway?

[​IMG] "A carpenter may find work at Keof!"
    [​IMG] "They say food is expensive at Merg."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Don't camp out without blankets."
    [​IMG] "I hear the tailor at Knessos is the best."

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "You're Belazar's grandson, aren't you? Do you have any advice for us?"
    [​IMG] "Visit Belazar again after reading Zirvanad."
    :rpgcodex: "Belazar?"
    [​IMG] "He may help you again."
    :rpgcodex: "Zirvanad?"
    [​IMG] "Gotta find it!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] "See my officer about a 'pass'."
    :rpgcodex: "Pass?"
    [​IMG] "You need one to enter."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "'Offer' beer to the bard."
    [​IMG] "I hear king's court is full of spies!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Sail to Bondell via Shendy."
    [​IMG] "They say gods may grant strength!"

[​IMG]
    Here's the town hall! Let's have a talk with the officer there...

[​IMG] "Stay out of trouble and you will be o.k!"
    [​IMG] "Why don't you make me an offer!"

:lol: Is he asking for a bribe?

[​IMG]
    Uh... let's try 10 coins?

[​IMG]
    Fucking corrupted douchebag! :x

In the end, though, I was able to buy a pass for 70 coins:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now we can get in the jail! :yeah: Although, honestly, I'm not sure why would we want to do that.

[​IMG]
    This is the last school in Port Avur, which trains sword skill.

[​IMG]
    The docks. Nobody is here currently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Listen to my friend's advice."
    [​IMG] "They say words are needed to awaken gods."

The other kid:
    [​IMG] "You must give me lots of candy if you wish to succeed!"

[​IMG]
    Now that we have a pass, we can show it to the prison guard.

[​IMG]
    Let's go in, then...

[​IMG]
    Inside are three orcs, who won't talk to Rexor because he's not charismatic enough. We'll come back later.

[​IMG]
    Now Rexor will sleep until it's nighttime.

[​IMG]
    Meanwhile, Kodex and Nazim, who have replenished their energy, went to get a combat lesson. It would take about a day for them to finish their lessons.

[​IMG]
    It's dark now, and Rexor has some more interrogating to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This wizard dude refuse to talk to Rexor because he's got a charisma score of 25 when he needs 26. :rage:

[​IMG]
    The tavern is more crowded at night.

[​IMG]
    Bordal too doesn't want to talk to Rexor. :rage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Don't walk, sail to Point Hena."
    :rpgcodex: "Point Hena?"
    [​IMG] "A fine place to sail to."
    :rpgcodex: "You're a captain, right? May I buy passage from you?"

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "How about a trip to Fubernel?"

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Well... Not today, no. But we'll need your help eventually."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another jerk who won't talk to us. :decline:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "You can but 'passage' from a captain."
    [​IMG] "I hear dwarves are in town selling hoyam."
    :rpgcodex: "Hoyam?"
    [​IMG] "Ask dwarves."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Offer the bard a drink."

People keep telling me to offer the bard some beers, but I can't figure out how to do it. :oops:

[​IMG] "I hear Garlin sails to Fubernel."

[​IMG]
    We finally managed to find Fetrik outside the tavern.

[​IMG] "Buy 'ropes' and 'blankets' if you are heading to Uberion."
    :rpgcodex: "Ropes and blankets?"
    [​IMG] "Sold at merchant shop."
    [​IMG] "I hear the old man studies mushrooms."
    :rpgcodex: "You must be talking about Lufer."
    [​IMG] "He visits the park early in the morning."

[​IMG]
    Going back to the tavern, I noticed that the "call" command is available here. The manual said that this command could be used in taverns to call a serving girl. Let's try it out...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First, Rexor bought and ate 1 unit of food to fill his belly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then he bought a bottle of beer, which could be offered to the bard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Far yonder in Seldarad
    Lives a fair elven maid
    Eyes of bright emerald
    And hair of shiny gold.

Man and elf come from afar
    Yearning a glance of her
    And her songs to hear
    Said to be like no other.

Her name is Ellidrin
    She is known to favor the hearty
    Deep in Seldarad green
    She sings, she waits for thee!"

Ah, an elven maid! Belazar and CappenVarra have told us that we must learn about elven maids. We should take note of this Ellidrin girl.

[​IMG]
    You know, this gives me an idea... If I'd offered a beer to the dwarves, who weren't willing to talk to us, maybe they'd be a bit more helpful?

[​IMG]
    It worked! :smug:

:rpgcodex: "Rabbonkar?"
    [​IMG] "He lives in Soldain."
    :rpgcodex: "What do you know about hoyam?"
    [​IMG] "Seek Drakka council."
    :rpgcodex: "Drakka?"
    [​IMG] "Means dwarf in old dwarvish."
    :rpgcodex: "I hear you know about Dermagud."
    [​IMG] "I've been there! Chant 'achunne', 'reshiptar', 'ebitonagzi' to get in."

:yeah: Now we know the magical words of Dermagud! Magical words are necessary for entering dungeons. Now let's check the other dwarf.

[​IMG]
    :rpgcodex: "Denkar?"
    [​IMG] "'Knock' on his door. Denkar claims to know about the mysterious bowls in dungeons."

[​IMG]
    Back to the guest house, I was surprised to find out that even non-metalsmiths can fix their weapons by themselves. I immediately ordered Rexor to do so.

[​IMG]
    It's morning time now... Lufer should be around somewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] "Seek Makaso the wizard in Soldain."
    [​IMG] "Some say the words at temples are ancient prayers to gods."
    :rpgcodex: "I hear that you study mushrooms."
    [​IMG] "I found gonshi mushrooms by the river in Pheron forest."

[​IMG]
    Eflun has learnt a crapton of Energy spells, so I have him learn the Shield spell instead.
    We haven't ran into any enemy spellcaster yet, but when we do, this spell should prove VERY useful.

[​IMG]
    Shopping time! Ziyx and Eflun transferred all their money to Rexor.

[​IMG]
    First, the weapon store. I should explain how melee works in this game. The damage you deal when you hit an enemy in melee is equal to you strength score, but the weapon you're using restricts the maximum damage you can deal. For example, Kodex has 16 strength, so he should be able to deal 16 damage with each attack. However, Kodex is using a short sword, which can do 14 damage each strike at most, so Kodex is unable to deal more than 14 points of damage until he buys a scimitar.

Bows work a bit differently. Ash bows deal damage equal to half you strength. Brom bows, on the other hand, deal damage equal to three-quaters of you strength.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rexor already has a scimitar, so I bought him an ash bow and 50 arrows. I could have bought a brom bow instead, but those are much more expensive, costing 500 coins each.

Each character can only carry one melee weapon and one ranged weapon, however, so Kodex and Nazim will have to buy their weapon themselves.

[​IMG]
    Supply shop next...

[​IMG]
    We bought a lot of stuff, expending more than 1000 coins. Ropes are needed to cross mountains, blankets make you recover more energy when resting in wilderness, pearls are rumored to be useful in dungeons, picks are useful for picking locks, shovels are needed to dig out buried treasures. Finally, we have been told that lens are needed in temples, and since I'm planning to visit Dermagud soon, I bought one of these as well. I'll explain other items at the end of update.

[​IMG]
    Meanwhile, Kodex and Nazim have finished their training session!

[​IMG]
    Note that Kodex got a +5 skill boost while Nazim only got +3. High learning score helped a lot here. :incline:

[​IMG]
    Kodex and Nazim went to the weapon store and bought one ash bow and 50 arrows each.

[​IMG]
    Finally, let's check out the armory.

[​IMG]
    Kodex bought a piece of steel plate armor -- the best armor this town has to offer. It cost 550 coins, but it'll be worth it. Unlike weapons, armors must be ordered and won't be ready until after a few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We're almost bankrupt after all these shopping. We couldn't afford another piece of steel plate, so Nazim has to settle for a chain mail.

[​IMG]
    We're going to do some more outdoors exploration. Before we go, however, Rexor would distribute consumables evenly among the party members.

[​IMG]
    Ok. We're ready to go! In the next update, we'll explore the province of Pheron some more, hopefully obtaining wealth and information in the process. See you next time!

Bonus content: Magical herbs

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Monty Arcane

Monty
    :bro:
    Cool update. And glad we ended up with two spellcasters in the initial voting, the balance looks good.

^ Top  
  21. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Good :salute:

^ Top  
  22. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    In wonder if it is in fact the same Scorpia referenced here.

^ Top  
  23. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Average aunt in the grim world of Magic Candle:

^ Top  
  24. Monstrous Bat Arbiter

Monstrous Bat
    Unlikely, as The Magic Candle was released two years before MM3. Unless Scorpia was already famous in 1989?

^ Top  
  25. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    According to Wikipedia, Might & Magic I was reviewed by Scorpia for Computer Gaming World as early as 1987. So maybe.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.