Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's meta-game ADOM

empi

Augur
Eh, you have to "learn" how to play ADOM I guess, I remember all this stuff but haven't read the guide in a long time.
It's best to get your herbs into stable patterns (they follow Conway's rules of life), especially 2x2 squares, then you can pick them, let them regenerate and pick them again.
Ctrl-r or similair gets your list of alchemy recipes, but herb's greatest uses are usually eating them, although some have bad effects.
You can use pretty much any weapon you want, for wizard's a weapon with good defensive bonuses is usually best.
You can sell your loot, but you defo won't be able to carry all of it back to shops.
If you wanna get spoiled/help, google ADOM guidebook.
The first kill only really matters if going for an ultra ending, which takes a lot of random shit. Otherwise it affects a not that great quest.

pipka

Savant
I still miss my troll paladin with Darkness spell(ate dark savant to get literate status) and blind-fight.

spectre

Arcane
Going to the bug temple to get to 13 level or so is all the rage if you're playing the wizard.
Glad you're not doing it.
(And it probably won't be accessble anyway if you don't have many dead chars though.)

Just some random stuff:

I would do the puppy quest nonetheless, if only for the guaranteed vault. You should find a couple of books there.
Also, since you have invisibility, you can walk past the village dungeon to get to another guaranteed shop.
Knock is actually pretty decent spell. You'll appreciate it when an exploding door blows up your stuff.
Although with a wizard, the most important gear is in your head anyway.

Maybe you could show some more inventory screens, the character screen (@), and maybe the spell list, with some elaboration on how stuff works.
Be sure to try alchemy once you hit the herb level.

Anyways, real glad to see an Adom LP, keep up the good work.

empi

Augur
Going to the bug temple to get to 13 level or so is all the rage if you're playing the wizard.
Glad you're not doing it.
(And it probably won't be accessble anyway if you don't have many dead chars though.)

Just some random stuff:

I would do the puppy quest nonetheless, if only for the guaranteed vault. You should find a couple of books there.
Also, since you have invisibility, you can walk past the village dungeon to get to another guaranteed shop.
Knock is actually pretty decent spell. You'll appreciate it when an exploding door blows up your stuff.
Although with a wizard, the most important gear is in your head anyway.

Maybe you could show some more inventory screens, the character screen (@), and maybe the spell list, with some elaboration on how stuff works.
Be sure to try alchemy once you hit the herb level.

Anyways, real glad to see an Adom LP, keep up the good work.

Yeah bug temple start is a bit gay, I guess I might show it some time.
Don't really feel like I need to go to the HMV, especially with a wizard I just find it a bit boring if I don't try to progress fairly quickly. And cba to challenge my door kicking muscle memory with knock spell :D

Will try to show more of those in the future, have the screenshots for next few updates but after then will probably do some shots of various character screens at the end of each update.
Next one coming soon

garren

Arcane
Patron
Can you post more monster information screens? You can skip most of the generic mobs but if something cool ventures by I'd love to see the descriptions, there's some fun stuff there occasionally.

empi

Augur
Episode 3: Down the Caverns of Chaos
Here we are, ready to venture into the big 50 level dungeon that is the main location of the game.

MWSnap363.jpg

We explore the first level, finding nothing remarkable apart from a random wand shop. All shopkeepers in ADOM are like posters in General Discussion, hopelessly racist, but gnomes are pretty good friends with elves iirc. We pick up all the wands so that if we encounter them they'll be already identified, but don't decide to buy any yet.

MWSnap364.jpg

This is a look at our equipped items, we could really use a shield and some more armour, hopefully we'll get some soon. We're using a spear because they give pro bonuses to DV.

D2 again had nothing too exciting, but then we enter the third floor and

MWSnap366.jpg

This little message means there's a (lesser) vault on this level, a bit like a tension room but bigger and in a cooler structure.

MWSnap368.jpg

Looks like this is a goblin vault, no trouble for our elite skills, we can even bash most of them to death.

MWSnap370.jpg

At this point it looks like we've eliminated them all, but really there's a secret inner sections for the really cowardly fuckers not wishing to fall to Andhaira's might (and magic harhar)

MWSnap371.jpg

There they are! Wiping out all these trash mobs also levels us up, here's a quick snap of our skills now:

MWSnap372.jpg

Healing and herbalism are our most important skills we have left to max, and are nearly there. Alchemy too is almost at 100 (At 100 we get a recipe for potion of gain attributes, which can be pretty awesome).

MWSnap373.jpg

We didn't get much in the way of drops from this vault, but we did get a nice book, another offensive spell is always useful.

MWSnap374.jpg

MWSnap376.jpg

Down on level 4 we encounter the first guaranteed feature of the Caverns of Chaos, the arena floor, we don't want to fight here just yet, but here's a little look at the arena half of the level:

MWSnap377.jpg

Around here there are also some ratlings selling food, most of which aren't very useful, apart from the obviously awsome cooked lizard which we stock up on.

MWSnap378.jpg

D5 presumably sucked, but we encounter another vault on D6. The first vault mob we meet is a Least Daemon, which apparently is:

MWSnap379.jpg

As it turns out this is a mixed vault, which is normally the most dangerous type, but there was nothing too scary here. There's one goblin wus that retreated here from the other vault. Bastard.

MWSnap382.jpg

Well earlier I said we lacked a good shield, and then we find this:

MWSnap384.jpg

:incline: pretty nice for this early on (The numbers mean +9 DV and +3 PV, btw). In reality the DV bonus will soon be bigger as we gain weapon skill in shields.

MWSnap385.jpg

D7 turns out to be one of the key levels in the early CoC, the Big Room, where lots of quickly regenerating mobs roam among the various bushes. This kobold thinks he's a good as mage as Andhaira, oh how wrong he is.

MWSnap386.jpg

Here's the first herbs we find, but unfortunately there are only two next to each other. Herb regeneration follows a slightly altered version of Conway's Game Of Life, ideally we want to get a 2x2 square of herbs, a stable formation that will regrow as we farm it.

Luckily he get another level so we can pump our herbalism to max to get the max benefit from the Big Room

MWSnap388.jpg

We also pick the talent "Hardy", which may seem rather shitty, only adding 3HP, but it also unlocks a series of talents that increase PV, which is pretty handy.

MWSnap391.jpg

You can't tell from this screenshot, but we finally encounter a nice 2x2 square, after battling through the hoards of undead the necromancer summons, we find another nice square:

MWSnap393.jpg

The herbs you find are determined by which row of the level they're in. Of the three rows we have stable herb patterns in (the rest of the level was clean btw :( ), one contains stomafilla/stomaceptia. When you pick the bush you get one of the two, the former is the best food in the game (also great for offering to the gods) and the latter does the opposite, makes you hungry. Stomafilla is in the top 3 most useful hers. For all herbs their effect is fairly dependent on their blessed/uncursed/cursed status, and with a high herbalism skill you get mostly blessed herbs. The second row contains pepper petal/burb root. Pepper petal heals a bit of hp, while burb root hurts you. The final row always gives morgia root, which can be eaten to train Willpower and Toughness.
After a bit of farming we descend down, and much some tasty morgia root.

MWSnap394.jpg

I then remember how awesome herbs are so we go back up, and find a damn good shield:

MWSnap396.jpg

MWSnap397.jpg

Andhaira is shaping up pretty nicely :incline:

On D8 we find another guaranteed feature of the dungeon, the strange item, or Si. It's the first artifact we've found (yay!!!), but it doesn't really do another, other than asexually reproduce and sell for a lot of money. It's always on a trap, but i'm too cool to kick it off the trap or anything.

Our morgia munching kicks in, naise

MWSnap399.jpg

MWSnap401.jpg

Wow, yet another vault, luck certainly is in our favour (que random generator murdering us later).

MWSnap402.jpg

There's also a river on this level, and our handy frost bolt allows us to make a frozen bride, and ooh look, that lizard dropped a book (that's what a " means)

MWSnap403.jpg

Wow, the RNG certainly is gonna fuck us over, this is really sweet. Teleport is really really damn useful, well if we had teleport control (currently we can't select where to teleport to). If I was desperate to grind out a win, I would go to the infinite dungeon and hop until we find a blink dog, which would get us teleport control. I'm not quite that desperate to rock (yet).

I guess I forgot to visit the vault, espcially as it's on the other side of the river, so instead we visit the awesome Dwarftown.

MWSnap405.jpg

Unfortunately the shop doesn't contain anything too remarkable, but still very useful for selling our shit. Dwarves are pretty good friends with elves. If we were an orc we would get absolutely fucked over by this racist midget.

Oh yeah, there's one lulzy thing in here:

MWSnap406.jpg

2h38ox4.png
:Omg let's read it and then wish for everything we want and it would be AWSOME.

If only poor Andhaira, if only.

We then go to visit the leader of the town, a Mr. Thrundarr.

dorf_020.png
:"Well met Andhaira! Me names is Thrundarr and I am the elder of this humble settlement."
"Good to see a hero. I want ye to slay a wight to prove your valour."

Fuck knows why he does, but oh well, we must obey our elders. A wight is farely rare in the CoC, luckily there's a guaranteed place crawling with them.

Next we stop off at the town church to sacrifice our spare stomafilla and food to our god, we also get our gauntlets of peace removed, thank god.

MWSnap413.jpg

Afterwards we head back to the big room to restock, and while there we level up and also find a couple of books. Here's our spell collection now:

MWSnap421.jpg

Looking pretty good, although the frost bolt castings are starting to run very low.

However, seeing as everything was going so well, it was inevitable that something bad would happen. Foolishly I tried to bolt down this vortex (angry explosive fucker) instead of casting darkness and beating it. However, the darkness could have killed the plants anyway.

MWSnap422.jpg

That fire took down one of our herb gardens. Bastard.

On our way out of this floor we gain another level:

MWSnap424.jpg

And we add Alchemy to the 100 skills

Unfortunately, Andhaira gorged himself on dwarven food, and his gain in weight shows:

MWSnap425.jpg

MWSnap426.jpg

Luckily we didn't lose anything bad, again, stupid me.
After this I decide to read my most popular scroll, which turns out to be scroll of identify (it usually is). Luckily it's also blessed so my whole inventory is identified.
The coolest thing is a tasty drink:

MWSnap429.jpg

We dip the potion of gain attributes into holy water in order to bless it, then we down it

MWSnap430.jpg

AHH YEAH

My metagamey instincts tell me we can now go explore a nice little pyramid nearby, we should have recieved an invitation to go visit, but it seems I didn't find it.

MWSnap434.jpg

MWSnap435.jpg

YELLOW WALLS:thumbsup:

The whole pyramid is packed full of traps, we get hit by a few but nothing too bad

MWSnap436.jpg

On the second floor we find an ordinary ring (that could mean something very very good) while clearing a swarm of jackals.

MWSnap438.jpg

I'm so excited by the prospect of the ring that I identify it immediately, no luck unfortunately

MWSnap439.jpg

We find the final staircase, after clumsily going through a few more traps. We've got a fairly hard battle ahead

MWSnap440.jpg

MWSnap441.jpg

The staircase magically moves away from us, i hate it when that happens!

MWSnap442.jpg

Our gear is pretty nice though, we should be able to fuck these mummies over

MWSnap443.jpg

Firstly we use Invisibility to give us a bit of added protection. But our invisibility is no match for the evil king mummy, who is very talkative.

fate_mummy.png
:"Greetings, hero. Permit Us to welcome thee into our chambers. We have waited a long time for thee to arrive. Thy skin will make a nice new rapping worthy of Us. Prepare to release thy rights to thy skin."

He capitilises weird words, he must be really evil.

After our nice little chat, we get straight back to fighting, with a pesky golem fireing fire at us

MWSnap449.jpg

Cowardly I cast darkness
MWSnap450.jpg

And then even more cowardly I teleport away (just call me Abra)

MWSnap451.jpg

We pick off a few mobs, but now we're up against Rehetep, the mummy lord himself:

MWSnap452.jpg

MWSnap453.jpg

Oh look, we killed [insert member's name here]. We pump the usual skills and pick the talent "Tough Skin", which adds 1 PV.

After constantly shaking off my attacks, I try to confuse the mummy with my ventriloquism

MWSnap455.jpg

Didn't go too well.
However, by pure luck we stumble upon a clever solution. While my fire bolts don't manage to hurt Rehetep, it looks like my friend knows how to hurt him (and us)

MWSnap456.jpg

MWSnap457.jpg

Take that biatch. Repeat a couple of times and

MWSnap457.jpg

He's vanquished, leaving us two artifacts. The Ancient Mummy Wrapping, which gives several useful intrinsics when worn, and The Ankh, pretty much the best amulet we'll find (probably)

Well that's it for this update, join Andhaira next time when he goes down that forboding tunnel once more

MWSnap458.jpg

spectre

Arcane
Damn, you're one lucky sob. The rng is gonna get you pretty soon.
I second the motion that you should do more screenies of monster memory. And generall some more elaboration on what and why is happening could be nice for them people who do not know adom by heart.

empi

Augur
SUPER SPOILER:
I'm bout to get a lot luckier :smug:, update coming soon

spectre

Arcane
In particular the part when he got two pretty good shields early on.
Usually you're stuck with the plain old [3,1] board for the early game, but with the better ones you can drop your tactics to aggressive to train them insanely fast.
And as a wizard he can dual wield them for fun and profit.
Also the spells that dropped for him fairly early, particularliy invisibility and teleport. Usually the first book of teleport I get is from the dying sage. Buyable book of wish is also pretty rare, although that's of little practical value.

empi

Augur
Episode 4: Becoming a champion

We dive back down to Dwarftown, and revisit our good friend Thrundarr. Thanks to being able to see into the future, we know to ask him about "portal"

MWSnap461.jpg

dorf_020.png
: Aye, we closed to deeper levels of the dungeons to prevent foolish adventures from uncovering even greater evils. The portal seems not to be able to lock the forces of Chaos but at least it prevents the foolish from wreaking havoc
Do you want to venture beyond that portal? [y/n]

2h38ox4.png
: y

dorf_020.png
: First ye need to prove yer worth in a quest. A vile necromancer has defiled the grave of one of our bravest heroes. The graveyard is located in the southeastern part of the Drakalor Chain. Find it and kill the evil sorceror. Purify his grave and ye will be rewarded. Take these items to help you in your quest.

Bloody hell, more dialogue than Torment in this game. He drops some nice holy water and a few other things at our feet.

The floor above Dwarftown we find a strange scoll on the floor,

"HERO, I AM WAITING FOR YOU. VISIT MY PALACE IN THE ANCIENT PYRAMID FOR A MEETING. COME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!"

I knew we were invited! Now we head onwards to the graveyard as commanded by dear Thrundarr.

MWSnap469.jpg

MWSnap469.jpg

Outside there's swarms of zombies, skeletons and other undead to be hacked through.

MWSnap471.jpg

QUEST COMPLETE!

The +'s are graves that we could dig up, and a few of them have the following special message

MWSnap472.jpg

There's a good chance of these containing nice loot, but we'd also be up against some horrible liches that would stat drain, kill, and subsequently rape our bodies. CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE.

While slashing through some more mobs, we find a pair of Worn Boots. Worn Boots aren't just any boots, as we see when we put them on

MWSnap473.jpg

:bounce: Seven League Boots are the bestest boots in the game, they basically allow you to move much much faster (when blessed). You can outrun, comfortably, pretty much everything in the game with them on. No excuse for me to die now :smug:
Immediately we dip them in the Holy Water Thrundarr gave us.

MWSnap474.jpg

Eventually Andhaira triumphs through the swarms and we find the down staircase.

MWSnap475.jpg

MWSnap476.jpg

Evil necromancer bastard is waiting.
Like the pyramid this place is filled with traps, so we get burnt with fire and acid, have spears and arrows shot at us, get swarmed by snakes, teleported around the place, and generally beat up.

MWSnap477.jpg

We stumble upon that evil laughing man. Like a true necromancer he spams more undead mobs on us. Also, we level up again!!

Like many tough boss mobs, he's good at shrugging off our crappy bolts :(

MWSnap479.jpg

Unfortunately we may be a little unprepared, and it is better to be safe than sorry, so we cowardly retreat. However traps don't really help this, and things really take a turn for the worse, and like many desperate people, we turn to religion.

MWSnap480.jpg

MWSnap481.jpg

Prayers are clearly very useful but also reduce our favour with our god somewhat.

Again we run into the necromancer, and fire a few fire (harharh punpun) bolts at him. When they do hit they're super effective!

MWSnap483.jpg

Didn't catch the whole message here, but we've burn Nonnak down to ashes. Now let's go find his grave

MWSnap484.jpg

Meet Griff, Nonak's best friend. A typical angry axe weilding dwarf, who's also dead.

MWSnap485.jpg

A nice guy.

MWSnap486.jpg

We're standing on the grave right now, but it's difficult to dig a grave up while we've got this guy swinging at us. First we run back (seven league boots away!) to the little cove in the middle-far right of the screen. There's a secret cabinet here containing a golem and also some nice gloves.

MWSnap487.jpg

Elemental gauntlets are artifact gauntlets that give resistances to all elements, and also reduce the bad effects from using Chaos orbs (more on that later)

We head back to the grave and start to dig away.

MWSnap488.jpg

This is another artifact, The Sword of Nonnak. It's a two handed sword, which pretty much sucks for a wizard because of the defensive penalties from having no shields. It does give a +5 bonus to willpower, which affects spell range among other things, so it could be useful to us at some point.

Griff keeps shrugging our bolts off, so away we run back to our favourite dungeon

MWSnap489.jpg

MWSnap490.jpg

Turns out we need to kill bloody Griff to complete that quest, forgot that. We let him know that we killed his arch enemy, the wight.

dorf_020.png
: Well done. To reward ye for yer valiant deed I'll tell ya more about ye stuff ye art carrying.

All our stuff gets identified, even though most of it already was.

2h38ox4.png
: GIMME ANOTHER QUEST

dorf_020.png
: Find da animated forest. Cross it and find out about what is beyond. Crossing da forest is perilous and tedious. Try it only if your will is strong enough to bear da stress. Ye might wanna try da shortcut for da forest. It's a tiny stairway, which once led into some of our halls. These days it was conquered by evil beasts of great power. Nobody ever returned from that forlorn place. It's yer choice. Return to me when ye have succeeded.

We must do as he commands!. We descend one floor and there's nothing interesting there, and as we descend again we find the perilous and tedious animated forest.

MWSnap504.jpg

Thanks to invisibility and teleport it isn't that tedious. Otherwise crossing a floor filled entirely with trees that you don't want to bump into because doing so will make them ultra hostile gets pretty annoying. On the floor we find a nice shiny sword

MWSnap505.jpg

That's quite a lot of fucking damage. May be useful for bashing stuff in.

A couple of lucky teleports luckily get us to the staircase pretty quickly.

MWSnap506.jpg

As we descend we finish our current quest, but also:

MWSnap507.jpg

How nice. We sneak onwards, invisible, to a tension room which also happens to be on this floor.

MWSnap508.jpg

Doesn't look too dangerous, apart from that acid vortex (the V), they're the guys that have a tendency to explode a lot. We bolt the shit out of them and move on.

MWSnap509.jpg

Looks like the vault is filled with more undead trash for us to take out.

MWSnap510.jpg

Easy peasy :smug:

I don't want to risk further dungeon diving, so we make our way back up towards Thrundarr

MWSnap511.jpg

dorf_020.png
: Well done. Interesting news. Take this wand. It might come in handy some time in the future.

Short sentences. Are good. Wand is good. Fireballs.

2h38ox4.png
:QUEST

dorf_020.png
: You need to vanquish the ogre tribe adjacent to the dwarven city. Those beasts lately started to attack us! See to it that none survive! Return to me when ye have succeeded.

We go south a bit, and lo and behold a staircase has appeared from nowhere

MWSnap520.jpg

This is a boring level with a lot of ogres that we annihilate, eat their corpses and hope for our strength to increase, eventually we wipe them out

MWSnap521.jpg

dorf_020.png
: Well done. Take dis gold and use it wisely.

MWSnap524.jpg

Practically a fucking millionaire.
We ask for another quest, and the quest fountain keeps flowing.

dorf_020.png
: Ye could need some combat practice. Win the champions title in the arena! Return to me when ye have succeeded.

How very rude, but we must appease him, so we go back up to the arena level and chat with the arena master, Dak.

2.jpg
: Well met stranger! Us is always looking for new talents... talents to fight in da arena and become rich and famous...art ye interested? Ask me, if ye wanna mutilate some baddies.

We decide...TO FIGHT.
We slay a rat, and a kobold, and a series of mobs in decreasing order of weakness

MWSnap529.jpg

Everyone loves Andhaira.

The final fight in the arena is the only challenging one, a Ogre Magus that has an asian name and like going invisible and shooting ice bolts.

MWSnap530.jpg

We equip the Ancient Mummy Wrapping that we got from that, err, ancient mummy. It lets us see invisible and gives immunity to ice attacks. How convenient :smug:

MWSnap531.jpg

MWSnap532.jpg

YEAH.

2.jpg
: Congratulations! Ye hast won yet 20th fight! This makes ye the new champion. To acknowledge yer heroic valour, we'll grant ye ze golden gladius!

As well as getting a pretty average artifact sword, the Golden Gladius, we've completed our quest!

Join Andhaira next time as he gets yet another quest from Thrundarr, makes a sad widower much happy, and descends down further into the Caverns of Chaos!

spectre

Arcane
Shame you don't have teleport control yet. Did you check the dwarf store? I often find the appropriate hat there.
(Not to mention you could finally kill the black druid guy. You might just find a blink dog over yonder)

This is another artifact, The Sword of Nonnak. It's a two handed sword, which pretty much sucks for a wizard because of the defensive penalties from having no shields. It does give a +5 bonus to willpower, which affects spell range among other things, so it could be useful to us at some point.
Er, where did you get that from? It's even listed as a one hander in your inventory. Of course, it's still pointless equipping it at the moment, because it won't push your willpower over 32, not to mention you probably have more spear skill.

Speaking of which, be a sport, show the spells screen, maybe the weapon skill and character screen as well.

empi

Augur
Shame you don't have teleport control yet. Did you check the dwarf store? I often find the appropriate hat there.
(Not to mention you could finally kill the black druid guy. You might just find a blink dog over yonder)

Nah, no helms of tele control in the dwarf shop, generally nothing of much use in there. And true true, could go back and smite the druid.

Er, where did you get that from? It's even listed as a one hander in your inventory. Of course, it's still pointless equipping it at the moment, because it won't push your willpower over 32, not to mention you probably have more spear skill.

My bad, like you said, still useless atm though :p

Speaking of which, be a sport, show the spells screen, maybe the weapon skill and character screen as well.

Will do in the future, already took the shots for the next couple of updates a while back though.

desocupado

Magister
I had to drop my anvil at Tenryio because of starvation and a farmer stole my shit.

I don't have pick-pocket, I'll have to kill the whole town, right?

When it's safe to do so?

EDIT: Just died. Stupid roving barbarians.

Palikka

Arcane
Holy crap you are one lucky SOB there, empi!
But I'm sure the RNG taketh away as well, soon. :P

Also no need to kill the dwarf zombie, you can get better rewards by making it go away other ways.
Also! Go check the HMV shop for any good eq it might have.

spectre

Arcane
I second that. Since he has invisibility and teleport, there's no reason not to. Might as well do it when and if he goes for the druid.
Also, with any luck you'll get a nice shop or maybe a vault along the way.

I don't have pick-pocket, I'll have to kill the whole town, right?
An alternative way is tedious and might not just work, but you can lure the farmer to the edge of the screen (by swapping positions in a creative way) then leaving for the wilderness. If he decides to tag along, you can kill him with relative impunity.
Pickpocket only works on stuff that weighs 10 stones or less, so it wouldn't have helped you anyway. If you want to store stuff, Lewionefuckell is much better, it even has a convenient room with a door.

Johannes

Arcane
I second that. Since he has invisibility and teleport, there's no reason not to. Might as well do it when and if he goes for the druid.
Also, with any luck you'll get a nice shop or maybe a vault along the way.
Might as well go to the water temple now, better rewards and more interesting. Or get the guaranteed climbing set and go to high kings'.

empi

Augur
Episode 5: Making Some Small People Very Angry

Now a glorious arena champion, Andhaira heads back up to good old Dwarf fortress town, and visits the Inn. Here, we run into Bart, the grizzled gladiator.

U_paladin.png
:Hey, ya got da golden gladius? Ye must be a promising fighter! I won two of dose in me days...Lost of both of them when my home village was pillaged by an elder chaos wyrm. Damn. Lost everything on dat day! Wife, children, dog...*Sniff* Dost ye want to exchange da gladius for some training I might give ye?

We say yes out of pity. This gives us a new skill, tactics which increases the effect of the tactics settings, and also he trains us a little bit with all weapons.

MWSnap534.jpg

Next we go back to crusty old Thrundarr

dorf_020.png
: Well done. Take dese fine items as an addition to yer equipment.

He drops us some bandages, a couple of blankets, a ring of fire resistance, 5 unidentified "rusty" potions, a "misty potion", an unidentified scroll, but most importantly, a potion of gain attributes :smug: We soon bless and drink to boost all our stats by 1.
We ask for another quest

dorf_020.png
: A vile daemon hast been terrorizing our homely village recently. Find and slay the vile beast. Return to me when ye have succeeded."

No demon is a match for mighty Andhaira, so we go to smite him.

MWSnap538.jpg

How convenient, he's waiting for us.
We bolt him a few times, mostly he shrugs them off but it'll kill him eventually. Until

MWSnap539.jpg

Fuck. Fuckity fuck. Me being an idiot accidentally bolted some gay dwarf hiding behind the demon. This is really bad. The town will be hostile, we'll probably get cursed or even worse doomed (basically makes more rolls go against you, very bad). Waldenbrook, the shopkeeper is fucking tough too.

MWSnap540.jpg

And he's on to us, throwing coins from so far away we can't even see him. Not good.

MWSnap541.jpg

Time to gtfo of here, fast.

MWSnap542.jpg

Shit, we're being chased by
49.gif
, and he's angry, and super quick.

We make a run for the altar, and try to teleport him away

MWSnap543.jpg

Thank god for those seven league boots, or we'd be dead by now. Seeing as he won't teleport, Andhaira teleports instead.

MWSnap544.jpg

The orange dwarves are "muscular dwarves" that Waldenbrook "summoned". God knows how he crammed so many muscular men into his shop, or why they were there.

MWSnap545.jpg

One more teleport luckily takes us close to the down staircase.
So we made it out alive, that's good.

MWSnap546.jpg

What to do next is kind of worrying though. Oh well, down we dive! We go straight down to D:16. Because i've been here before, I know this is a good time to identify my inventory, just to see what I have. And I'm a verrrry lucky man. An amulet of life saving. Let's see if it comes in use...

MWSnap548.jpg

Aww, a wise dying man. I know what he could use...an amulet of life saving!
Firstly we have to find off these Chaos Spawn that are surrounding him.

MWSnap550.jpg

MWSnap552.jpg

MWSnap553.jpg

magem01vi2.jpg
: Aye, hero, at last some support. I have done what I could, but I ain't no warrior.
Finally I have gotten to a stage where I'm no longer mighty enough to continue. Nonetheless I'll be able to give you some information that might help you in your quest. To defeat the threat of Chaos you will have to close the gate. The gate is protected by...mighty magick cast to prevent anyone from entering. Chaos corrupted the elements to fuel this magick. The keys to break the lock are five powerful orbs...
Five elemental orbs - once powerful artifacts of Balance - now corrupted by Chaos". These orbs are the key to the lock preventing your entrance to the metaplane, where the gaye is kept. Find those five orbs. Four of them are kept under guard in four temples of elemental Chaos in the levels below. You have to penetrate the walls to those temples... then you need to defeat the powerful guardians. Be careful. They are very strong and use mighty magicks.
Take the orbs and use them to find the source of Chaos. Make sure that you look for the fiery one in the wilderness. Also try to refrain from using the Chaos Orbs. While they contain powerful magicks, they also tarnish your soul. I will now depart since I can't oppose these mighty forces of Chaos with my weak powers. But you shall receive this. It hopefully will help you in your quest. We shall meet again...maybe.

:what: This game has a plot??? Metaplanes? This is practically like playing Torment.

Also, he dropped us some very sweet stuff, namely books of teleport, invisibility, and scrolls of chaos resistance (can undo the bad corruptions we'll gain from being in such a Chaos filled place).

Saving the sage is a pretty rare feat, usually don't find an amulet of life saving early on. As well as giving us nice stuff, it also opens up the avenue of ultra endings, not that we'll even try going for one of them yet.

Anyway, after that cinematic epic, it is time to continue. The floor below is a graveyard, full of lots of dead stuff mainly, and a tension room of dwarven chaos knights. Fucking dwarves are everywhere.

MWSnap572.jpg

We blast through them, and get cocky enough to bash them with our nice big sword.
MWSnap573.jpg

We also find another offensive spellbook, first time in a while.

MWSnap574.jpg

Lightning bolt is pretty cool in that it bounces off walls. It's also pretty dangerous in that you can bolt yourself off a wall. It also can destroy some loot on the ground. Useful nonetheless though.

MWSnap575.jpg

How nice, at level 18 we get a cool class bonus

MWSnap576.jpg

And get to pick a new talent

MWSnap577.jpg

This increases our max PP slightly, and also opens up a few branches of magic based talents.

A snapshot of our elite spell collection now:

MWSnap578.jpg

There's more graves in the graveyard that we could dig up and hope for some nice loot. However, I'm still feeling really fucking cautious after pissing off all those nice dwarves. So we just go down to D:18.

MWSnap581.jpg

Oh yeah, fuck. This portal is the portal we asked Thrundarr about earlier. That was the quest we didn't finish, so he didn't open the portal. Now I remember! Our only way is to get past is to get him to open it for us, by finishing his quest (unlikely seeing as his whole town hates us). Or we have to force him off his throne, and use his lever. Well, that's a trouble for future Andhaira!

Join next time as Andhaira attempts to open the portal, dive further down the dungeon and get one of those "magick" orbs the wise sage told us about!

empi

Augur
Yes, was their fault entirely.
Hopefully Andhaira will rise up and crush them later :incline:

spectre

Arcane
Heh, I do it all the time. Get lucky, get cocky and stupid shit like that just happens.
Getting around the hostile town would have been so much easier if you had tp control. You might have even snagged something from the shop in the process.
Aaand you realize you'll have to get back to open the stone portal manually? Luckily, invisibility should help you a bit.

Johannes

Arcane
Yeah, invisibility and darkness are the way to go in handling the dwarves. Watch out for your alignment though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom