Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Multiplay Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PBEM) - Game 1

Hellraiser

Arcane
ib0ZUkVCvijhP.png

Kalin beat me to a ship by one turn.

:rage:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
We are playing on the huge version, so we are quite far apart!

Also, Miriam has yet to build bases aligned towards the Spartan continent, so the 50-year obsolete invasion force seems a likely scenario, assuming it happens at all.

Meanwhile, we are at M.Y. 2143 and the Human Genome Project is nearly complete! Genetically superior über-Gaians is a confirmed fact. Now pushing for Weather Paradigm.

Oh, and Zak, wherever he is, has started building the Virtual World.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I would like to let you know that as the last player in the PBEM turn order I do not get the secret project notification windows. :M

Also Miriam is never a threat beyond the first 100 turns if you play conquest/military oriented as anyone, especially the fucking spartans. She also has constant PMS declaring vendetta left and right (unless you randomize personality) which even further pushes her back in tech as nobody will trade her any. Unless she's been probing Zakharov left and right (or made him her bitch) you just stomp her with superior tech.

I'm quite butthurt about all the shit I lost to mindworms so far. Compare this to the transcend ironman game as the spartans that I played yesterday, where I didn't lose a unit until the 22nd century. Also, shockingly, Gaians were dominating that game and are conquering the Hive who is behind them. Though probably because everybody ganged up on Yang and my Icarus bombers and Pegasus copters murdered the shit out of Yang's military while Deidre just took the undefended flank. It's a massive clusterfuck of a free for all on Yang's continent with the Spartan-Peacekeeper-Morgan alliance against Yang-Miriam and also against the Gaians, with Zakharov leaving the SPM alliance to carve up the Gaians or Hive by himself since he's now the big cheese of Planet after both Gaians and the Hive got their ass bombed to hell and back dropping in power rating.

Here's a shot of that clusterfuck:
iqJYXYafUOV8A.png

I probably definitely fucked up the invasion losing half of my forces due to lack of AAA coverage and air superiority, but the fighting is going on between so many people and so far from my own turf that I suffer no lasting damage.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
csNmWFv.png

Mission Year 2154

In the last couple of years the Garden Sentinels had grown exponentially. Several young and ambitious Broodmasters had gained control of Mind Worms all across the continent, and in the south, it was even rumoured that an aquatic variety had been tamed by Empaths aboard one of the recently-launched Waveriders. If theories held true, such a sea-based collective could be employed both as a weapon and as a transport for land-based worms, vehicles and even infantry - provided, of course, that the soldiers would be able to cope with the unorthodox mode of travel. Such isles of the deep could have been invaluable in the struggle against the Spartans, had the conflict not ended as suddenly as it had flared up. In early M.Y. 2151, a startled Council had been contacted by Colonel Santiago, asking for a truce between the factions. Overjoyed, the Gaians had agreed, and as the colonies had once more turned their focus inwards, the faction had entered a veritable golden age of progress and enlightenment.

Above all, the completion of the grand genetics research project had played a vital role in bringing the colonists into this new glorious era. By means of large-scale genetic engineering programs, new generations of Planetborn would be completely free from unnatural and disruptive deviations such as dyslexia, dwarfism, narcissism and colour blindness (the latter in particular having caused no little suffering due to "inclusive" datalinks text colouring). In addition, future Gaians would be blessed with full immunity to many of the harmful microbes on Planet - not least the dreaded Prometheus Virus - and enjoy both greater health and longevity. Further still, many vile aspects of unattractiveness - obesity, swarthy skin, kleptomania and abhorrent body odours - would no longer befoul the freedom-loving guardians of nature. Complete purification of the gene pool would instead ensure that pale complexions and beautiful, slender body-shapes would dominate entirely in the new Utopian society.

Gaian understanding of the local ecosystems had also grown considerably since Planetfall, and the new insights into the intricacies of nature had vastly improved the ease and efficiency of terraforming projects. Roads now stretched throughout the very fungus itself, connecting the steadily growing number of small bases in a humble yet highly functional transportation network. Following the recent breakthroughs in industrial automation, it was manned and utilised primarily by sophisticated, eco-friendly robotics, much the same as the growing production and assembly line sectors. Some Gaians were highly suspicious of these new creations, but their dislike of soulless machines was fortunately bested by their inborn aversion for heavy labour.

In regards to the economy, free enterprise was not shunned as such, but it was closely regulated by the Environmental Agency, always quick to stamp out any tendencies towards disrespectful treatment of Planet and its resources. Green enterprises were given preferential treatment and subsidies, and excessive hoarding of wealth was subject to immediate appropriation. Commerce was still primarily limited to technological exchange, but following the treaty of friendship with the Morganites, a small stream of consumer products had soon started to find its way across the borders. The Council was not exactly pleased by this development, but peaceful relations were always to be preferred to violence, and so far, there was nothing that indicated that Morgan and his cronies actively harmed the ecosystems. Some hopeful souls even believed that the Morganites might mend their ways completely and embrace the Gaian model. Lady Skye and the Council remained less enthusiastic, but one thing all could agree on: the hard times were finally over, replaced by a true springtime for Gaia's Stepdaughters.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
i1uD2v5UU1xGZ.png

Also I'm playing a hilarious singleplayer game where Miriam keeps throwing planetbusters at everybody (but me, oddly enough), Lal threw some as well and so did Yang (both were sent at Miriam). With both Morgan and Deidre dead in that game, only me and Zakharov (lol) haven't nuked anyone yet.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Congratulations on obtaining a Spartan Federation Passport, Citizen.

You are now free to travel around Planet until your next scheduled tour of duty begins in 578 days on April the 7th M.Y. 67 at 1000 zulu hours. Enjoy your extended leave and civilian life while you can. Be aware however that travelling abroad carries certain risks.

You may be swept away from the deck of a merchant or passenger hydrofoil by a wave during a storm.

Mindworms may attack you in the wilds, should you venture too close to xenofungus.

You may catch Planetfever, the Prometheus Virus or be infected by any number of other potentially deadly viral and bacterial pathogens native to Chiron.

You may be arrested under false charges and tortured by agents of the Enemy, in an attempt to force you to reveal vital secrets of Sparta.

You will not be able to vote in the next scheduled elections to the Civilian Council of Sparta, unless you happen to be close to a Spartan embassy during your travels.

Foreigners acting both legally and illegally may take away your guns, melee weapons, Spartan Survival Codex or other important and valuable material possessions.

You may be subject to attempts of brainwashing and propaganda seeking to undermine the Spartan Way of Life and turn you away from your Spartan Heritage.

To help you survive during your travels around planet, the Chief Cartographer’s Office in association with other experts from the Spartan Citizen’s Militia, has prepared various manuals and guides. Below you will find the most important basic political, cultural and cartographical information on Chiron.

i7yJmMlLMJ3Mz.png

The Politics and Culture of Foreigners.

Morganites

The Morganites are obsessed with material possessions. However while they surround themselves in useless trinkets, needless luxuries and wallow in hedonism, they are the least dangerous of all foreigners. So long as you do not sign anything that has ever been written by a Morganite lawyer that is.

Their state is a Corporate State, inspired by Omniventures Inc. of Earth that was, though operating under a different legal framework and under the frontier conditions of Planet. As such free enterprise runs unrestricted, for better or worse, but this also means you are free to buy firearms, drugs and other items often banned by freedom-hating pinkos. Remember that everything comes at a price in Morgan lands and even breathing air is sold at a premium.

How to survive in Morgan territory: never sign anything, never agree to anything, be suspicious of anything offered for free or at a discount, bring valuable minerals or precious metals for trade, don't drink any water that doesn't come with a price tag.

How to impress and make friends with a Morganite: tell him his suit looks like it cost a unity fusion core’s yearly output of energy, offer him a drink or gift, tell him you are looking to buy something, always haggle.

What not to say or do near a Morganite: discuss the superiority of market interventionism, call them fat, call them lazy, ask how long did they serve in their armed forces.

Peacekeepers

Lead by “brother” Pravin Lal the peacekeepers are possibly a remnant of the UN-led NWO that probably lead to the destruction of Earth that was. Either that or their adherence to the U.N. Charter is the result of gross incompetence, intellectual and mental weakness. The war they lost to the Gaians seems to prove the latter.

When visiting Peacekeeper bases be sure to prepare for red tape, the peacekeepers are anything but direct and efficient. Time spent in queues to get the proper form signed and stamped will undoubtedly form the vast majority of your stay in Peacekeeper territory. However they are operating under what is no doubt nascent communism, so unlike with the Morganites you are guaranteed to survive without any currency on hand or at least forage for food without running into corporate security while you wait for the “U.N.” Bureaucracy to process your application for daily rations.

They will take away your guns, however melee weapons are permitted. The Colonel herself recommends procuring a Kukri before venturing into peacekeeper territory.

How to survive in Peacekeeper territory: fill out, send and print all the necessary forms and received confirmations 3 months before arriving in their territory.

How to impress and make friends with a Peacekeeper: praise the “well organized” nature of the state, say his/her blue helmet shines magnificently in the sun of Alpha Centauri Prime, volunteer in the soup kitchen, help repair his recon rover.

What not to say or do near a Peacekeeper: praise the superiority of leaving the weak to die rather than prolonging their misery, ask if they ever plan on winning a war, dead baby jokes, make fun of their blue uniforms.

Guide to be continued in another post....

Overall we now know where everybody is but as you can see on the map this is going to be a very odd game. Screenshots coming whenever something happens. Kalin has built the NSA so he knows about all the drone riots, famine and other disasters affecting me and Cassidy.

Kalin is already significantly ahead due to lucking out with both the Peacekeepers starting a war they instantly lost to him and ending up next to Monsoon Jungle which he started to colonize (which he renamed to New Amazon BTW, but Spartan Cartography had yet to know that when the map was made).

Cassidy is caught between too many people who might want to kill him sooner or later.

Hive and Believers are giving each other the evil eye from across the Freshwater Sea. Odds are they'll both wage long, pointless and bloody wars becoming a non-factor to everybody else.

Peacekeepers seem to be a non-factor, though perhaps they'll go and pester Cassidy or Miriam/Yang with overseas expansion.

Zakharov is chilling on his own little island, safe from anyone who would want to murder him before he out-techs anyone. May go after Cassidy or colonize the south-eastern part of Terra Sparta.

I'm all alone on a whole continent and quite possibly the furthest away from any other faction, so no room for impact rover rushing. Wish I was playing Zakharov and ended up in my current location as him. Still it could be worse.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Oh yeah, I snatched the governorship back in M.Y. 2158, forgot to post about it here:

XyIOv4k.jpg

Started by bribing Miriam and Lal as soon as I had all communication frequencies (Sanjay only demanded 8 credits - might just be the lowest bribe yet!). Would have bought either Yang or Zakharov as well, but I couldn't afford it, and they would shift between having the second-most votes. While monitoring them religiously, I eventually found them to be just equal in population, which ensured that neither would be willing to vote for the runner-up. Morgan and Santiago never stood a chance. Glorious democracy in action, Kwanza-style!

A decade or so left before anyone can start a new election. Will probably end up losing that one if the chaps decide to bribe the AIs, but if so, I still have the Empath NSA and will only lose out on the extra commerce.

Also, since brofists aren't always enough: that is one damn snazzy guide! Hack-job Open Office just can't compete with such magjifics.

(And speaking of New Amazonia, it also happens to be the title of some disgusting librul futuro-feminist womyn novel, so it is even more appropriate for the hippie matriarchy!)

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
pFPHnlM.jpg

Mission Year 2172

"…and to serve in the most blessed capacity of all; to prevent violence, protect our colonies and preserve the environment of our beloved Planet!" Major Amanda Windsong looked out across the small, near-exclusively military audience as Admiral Audrey Starflower concluded the inauguration ceremony. Most citizens were away celebrating the Public Fertility Holiday, and even under normal circumstances, civilian interest in military affairs was scarce to begin with. A few camera droids from the Gaian Defence Force recorded the event for posterity, and the marines and sailors were at least visibly excited. As she glanced at their faces in the crowd, she half-wondered if their enthusiasm originated solely out of pride, or perhaps also the fact that the thirty minute-long speech was finally at an end. After all, Gaian Navy personnel were really not used to standing at attention for so long, and most were probably itching to relax their limbs, kick back with some herbal recreation and join the free love celebrations over at the Rainbow Gardens. For once, however, she really did not care to enforce that much-needed discipline: those slackers were Audrey's headache, it was a splendid, beautiful day, and as her eyes drifted over to the centrepiece of attention, her heart swelled with joy and admiration.

With a beam of approximately thirty metres, a draft of eight, and a length of an astounding two hundred and fifteen, the new Leviathan-class Battlecruiser was without a doubt the greatest ship on Planet. Though hardly impressive compared to the giant ships of Earth, it completely dwarfed civilian hydrofoils and aquatic gatherers, and even the Waveriders now appeared tiny and harmless in comparison to this behemoth which now lay at port. Partially visible beneath its rainbow adornments and painted flower motifs lay thick layers of plasma-steel armour, crimson-coloured like the Xenofungus and far more durable than anything made from the now-obsolete synthsteel. In addition, its recently prototyped Impact Cannons, of which the largest two extended for some fourteen metres, could deliver armour-piercing, depleted uranium shells at frightening speed and precision. Back on Earth, such a heavy design would have been next to useless due to its vulnerability to air attacks, but on this virgin world where the colonists had yet to re-master atmospheric flight, the Leviathan would rule supreme.

The Council, of course, wanted to employ it strictly as a deterrent to invasion, and Amanda could not help but question the wisdom of this persistent pacifism. Only yesterday they had learnt from the Garden Sentinels that Morganite bases lay wide open, defenceless in face of a massive avalanche of Mind Worms gathering in the north-east. With their ill-begotten resources stretched so thin, Morgan Hydrochemical would likely be the least of their concerns. As such, it was bound to fall easily before the new-found might of the Gaian Navy, while the land forces could lend their strength to that of Planet and finish the job. Morgan and his ilk were like a cancer, she had argued, and their recent show of producing eco-friendly products was surely just another scam. She really could not fathom why Lady Skye and the others would leave them to fester and grow, when they could be dealt with once and for all.

Nevertheless, the orders for the new Battlecruiser remained unchanged – round Cape Storm, resupply in Silverbird Park and patrol the Sea of Unity against Spartan incursions. "Violence must always be our last resort", the other Council-members had kept repeating, stressing the importance of avoiding conflict, and particularly so when more than one foe would be involved. To some extent she agreed, the army was ill-equipped to deal with multiple incursions, and two or three factions might leap to Morgan's defence. Still, they had prevailed before, and it seemed like such a shame to pass on the opportunity. Perhaps if Santiago mounted an attack, or if some faction or another violated the sacred tenets of ecological preservation, the Leviathan might just see some action after all. If not, many years of patrolling and exploration lay ahead, because watching, growing and hoping for unity through diplomacy very much defined the entire Gaian strategy at this point.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
The Politics and Culture of Foreigners, part 2.
A publication of the Chief Cartographer's Office, for Spartan Citizens in active duty and in reserves, who are about to travel abroad or are training to become officers.

Hive

The Hive occupies the northern part of Terra Nautilia, with its capital located on the edge of Freshwater Sea. It could be seen as a brotherly faction, one that also follows discipline, order and a clear chain of command. But it is hardly such a place, in reality the Hive's ruling class operates under vastly different rules than the regular citizens who are forced to slog away for the "greater good". The little people obey, the government officials focus on gaining rapport and influence with other key power-players, while enjoying all the luxuries the citizen slaves produce. Chairman Yang himself is the ultimate target of the elites' sycophancy, he is after all the one possessing absolute power while allowing those lower in the hierarchy to squabble amongst themselves thus utilizing divide and conquer to maintain his hegemony within the Hive. Backstabbing and treachery is endemic, knowing the right people is key to getting around the Hive. The secret police tracks everyone and everything.

Foreigners are welcome in the Hive, but not due to hospitality or any other altruistic notion. They are seen as potential vessels for psychological and propaganda warfare, sources of intelligence or new double agents. Anyone can enter the Hive, nobody can leave it unless the Chairman has something to gain from it and that also applies to foreigners such as yourself, citizen.

Due to hostile attitudes towards freedom and the right to bear arms, as well as a high probability of war with the Believers in the near future, the Chief Cartographer's Office, the Office of the Spartan Commander in Chief and the Civilian Council of Sparta all strongly discourage venturing into Hive territory unless on state official business.

How to survive in Hive territory: do not venture anywhere near a hive base or unit in their territory unless you know at least three medium ranking officials who can help you.

How to impress and make friends with a Hive Citizen: praise his hard work in the factories, praise his 2nd cousin twice removed who is a minor pencil-pushing clerk managing recycling tank operations, say the Chairman is your intellectual and philosophical idol.

What not to say or do near a Hive Citizen: discuss the superiority of economic freedom, argue in favor for democratic elections, call the Hive a nepotical kleptocracy masquerading as a state, criticize anyone that's not a member of the working class.

Believers

Located on the other, more distant, side of the Freshwater Sea, the Believers are a theocratic state lead by "sister" Miriam Godwinson. Established under and following quite possibly the worst principles of Teleevengalelist Protestant Megachurches of Earth that was, the Believer state is a mockery in the fields of science, diplomacy and all matters military. The believer citizen starts the day with mandatory prayers at 0700 hours Planet time, he then goes into his or her place of work where he attends another prayer for good and safe labor. He or she then proceeds to pray at least two more times, with attending evening church service being also mandatory. Should someone dare to avoid any of these he will be quickly labeled as a sinner by the religious police. Atonement can range to anything from community (or more likely church) labor to self-flagellation or even crucification in the case of those under pagan, atheist or satanist influence (which are often viewed as one and the same by the Pastor Judges of New Jerusalem).

If by any chance you were to visit Believer territory, you would be able to move around freely so long as you would follow the inane religious rituals. That is if Sparta and the Believer state weren't at war for decades, which means that you will most certainly be detained and tortured via "exorcisms" if not shot on sight as soon as you are identified as a Spartan Citizen. While it may be called the phony war by some, as neither side has ever fired upon the other's military, Morgan and Hive sources that visited New Jerusalem reported that Sparta is called "the Satan Federation" lead by "the whore of Babylon Corazon Santiago, the female antichrist herself". The irrationality of Miriam Godwinson's hatred directed at the Homeland is attributed by medical professional to a constant and longterm state of mental instability, caused by longterm sexual frustration with strong hints of being caused by Miriam denying her true homosexual nature. This is also believed to be the cause of refusal to answer any contact diplomatic attempts aiming at ending the non-war with Sparta.

Even if a blood truce was pledged or a treaty of friendship was signed, you would as a potential heretic, apostate or infidel entering Believer territory, be subject to an extensive evaluation of faith, spirituality and morality in the form of a few weeks long brainwashing camp. They would attempt to turn you into a double agent (the "secretly a believer" phenomenon) or a missionary, if they ever let you come back. Avoid contact with the Believers unless under strict orders as part of your military service.

How to survive in Believer territory: be part of a Spartan invasion force and follow orders.

How to impress and make friends with a Believer: send them to meet their maker using projectiles from your Heracles IR-3 Impact Rifle or Heracles AC-1 Autocannon. They dedicate their whole life to prepare for the next, would be a waste to make them wait any longer.

What not to say or do near a Believer: "I surrender", any spartan military secret, say that you are a Spartan, give them enough time to shoot you before you shoot them.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Also, negotiations fell through with the Spartan Federation to secure their files on Gene Splicing, since the Gaian Council simply could not share Empath secrets of Centauri Empathy.

The newly formed Eco-Marines were given permission to liberate the data whether the Spartans would like it or not.

ThRT9pY.jpg

:yeah:

Unfortunately, they also got caught... :)

Hellraiser

Arcane

472820-santiago.png

:flamesaw:REMOVE HIPPIE FROM CHIRON PREMISES :flamesaw:

66.png

^^The probe cruiser crew shortly after uploading the files to Gaias landing.

Considering that Gene Splicing is worth getting ASAP (especially if you are already snowballing to snowball more, especially while you have control of OP JUNGLE) while I can afford to wait out until somebody trades me Centauri Empathy you really should have went with the trade. Comparative advantage gain was in your favor. And I got Intellectual Integrity (your counteroffer) from [redacted - Omega Clearance Required] for Gene Splicing a turn later.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I didn't think Zak would trade it given the Secret Project, but I must have forgotten about Yang there. Also, the probes were already en route to Terra Sparta when the negotiations started, looking to pop pods and potentially engage in some mischief. Given the close proximity and lack of probe team defenders, I figured I might as well try to get the tech for free. Or if not free, at least the mineral cost of the cuiser team. :lol:

Hellraiser

Arcane
izA4hFUQwRQvy.png

Mindworms controlled by hippies located, recited mental battle mantra, purged xenos, burned the gaian empaths just to be sure.

:flamesaw:

He managed to sneak through the fungus and kill my rover which was repairing at that base. Scouts were being rushed on his turn, hence they didn't defend the rover.

:rage:

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

At first glance at the screenshot I thought that it was not the city that was called "Santiago's Rapids" but the infantry was called "Santiago's Rapists" (given we're at the codex, it wouldn't be anything out of ordinary, though such name would be too unclear in its meaning to seem realistic).

Hellraiser

Arcane
The base is Blast Rifle Crag, the river is named Santiago's Rapids (you can freely name tiles as landmarks in SMAC, the map is even generated with a few special ones, including the utterly broken Monsoon Jungle).

In other news:

ibgJThcu2pa4Q2.png

At least now we know who Wormlovers Anonymous are. Here's hoping the Hive assimilates the Believers in a war soon.

Oh and New Jerusalem's population fell due to my laser barrage burning their farmland.

:troll:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom