Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Not Play Space Rangers 2: ITZ Here

MetalCraze

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Skyway, does the addon have anything worthwhile in it? Or should I just stick with the original and find a no starforce patch (providing there is one for SR2)?

What Raapys said. Just avoid imbalanced "orange" items.

headache

Novice
Personally, whenever I set the Dominators to Hard they take over too much of the galaxy too fast, meaning less civilized planets with missions and trade, less stations for drugs/micromodules/loans, and less rangers in the galaxy, resulting in a spiral of failure. I've tried like five times and it keeps happening. I did finish the game on Normal just fine when I first played (and I destroyed 2 of the 3 Dominator bosses myself) so I have at least basic competency.

Maybe I'm too law-abiding? Does being a pirate work better in a harsh Dominators-on-Hard galaxy? I started refusing the RTS missions too (those I do suck at), since they are supposed to be optional, but maybe that does matter. Any guesses on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated, and I think the thread author might need some tips for Hard Dominators too...

Raapys

Arcane
Definitely do the RTS missions, they bring in nice amounts of cash, especially later in the game. And yes, some of them can be really hard, but it varies greatly. Like I mentioned though, go for the 4x missile launcher with coolant module for the robots, they're worth two or three times what the computer will send at you, more if you control one of them yourself and have a couple of 4xRepair robots as well.

Haven't really tried doing much trading or piracy myself, I usually make cash exclusively by doing missions.

For the ship, find the ones that have all slots and a high hull padding; with 20+ armor( armor != shield ) and a good repair module you'll be nearly invincible in combat. Also keep in mind that items can be upgraded( some are already, when you buy them ) and that you should always get the ones that weigh the least, since weight will slow down your ship after a certain point( and you can pick up less loot ). And, of course, do the black holes, when available, to get neat artifacts.

m_s0

Arcane
This looks promising. I'd give it a shot myself but I do have a few questions first
1) How can Reboot contain the original game it that one was about 4gb and the expansion is only 1,5? And if it does, why did they release a "Complete" bundle of the two?
2) I've read that Reboot isn't standalone (http://totalgaming.stardock.com/games/?id=sr2x) so wtf? Is it?
3) What do I miss if I just skip "Rise of the Dominators"?

Morkar Left

SR 2: Rise of the Dominators is only 1.4 GB (at least the german version), Reboot isn´t bigger (takes 1.45 GB on my usb-stick).

Reboot is an enhanced version with more features. It´s possible that it is avaivable as an upgrade-patch, too?

Our third installment begins with an epiphany.

sr2-302.jpg

Yes, the fuel tank and engine I selected at the start... aren't the ones that came on the ship. They're extra ones. Better ones. Being held for me in a base.
Well. Thanks to those who pointed it out.

sr2-303.jpg

I head over to Blue Fire, the base in question, and find out a bit about nodes and micromodules. It's confusing. I put it off for a later date.

Also fuck you too maybe I'd be doing better if you'd given me proper instructions and better weaponry than a fucking mining laser and if everything in the universe wasn't trying to kill me, rob me or use me as a meatshield which will get killed and robbed and

sr2-304.jpg

Yeah, here's the new stuff over on the left. It's slightly better. Also, for some reason, 1000 credits' worth of minerals. I don't question it, I just sell those too. I have enough experience points to level up a stat, which I promptly put into Trade; before I can start fighting and killing and dominating, I need to be able to buy decent stuff.

So, feeling a little better about myself and setting out to take a cargo of artifacts to a Graalian planet on some far-flung arm of the universe, I cheerfully go from star to star - I can't make a direct run to that star system, because it's far away and I need to stop to refuel. So I stop by at, uh, Vitta Pyronis or something. I refuel at the nearest planet, head towards the gate to warp to my destination...

sr2-305.jpg

Oh dear.
Quickly, I glance at my map. There's a base nearby!

sr2-306.jpg

I... don't think it's a friendly base. This is not a good star system. I'm going to die.

sr2-307.jpg

My initial reaction to this was "haha you want me to help you fight Dominators suck a dick". I think realised I was slightly mistaken; he doesn't want me killing a Dominator ship, he wants me to kill the other Space Ranger who's helping him fight them off.

sr2-308.jpg

These people are insane. Abandoning this accursed star, I flee for the portal...

sr2-309.jpg

And don't get very far.

sr2-310.jpg

Okay, second attempt. I make it to Vitta Pryonis, and manage to make it to the gate with only a few scrapes. Looks like I'll need to stop over in Kraha, then hit my destination, Sheat.

sr2-311.jpg

Also he asked me for help again and I took another screenshot because I'm disgustingly immature. Heehee you go in the front I'll go in the back heehee roger captain heehee let's double team him heeehee gang rape metaphors

sr2-312.jpg

This is Kraha. It is not an improvement.

sr2-313.jpg

sr2-314.jpg

sr2-315.jpg

Who's the smartass who told me to set these guys to Strong again?

sr2-316.jpg

Okay... Minionaver? If that place isn't Dominator-free, I'm quitting this horrible job. And possibly quitting the space ranger business forever.

sr2-317.jpg

Just to boost my spirits, I stop in at a military base to refuel and get mercilessly insulted. Well at least my head isn't shaped like a penis whose mutant foreskin has entirely swallowed the glans.

sr2-319.jpg

Oh God
Massive battle going on. At least three sides are involved. I don't stop to rubberneck.

sr2-320.jpg

Graalians have WACKEE architecture because they are WEIRD

sr2-322.jpg

Finally, Sheat is within reach. I'm so close.

sr2-323.jpg

It's quiet here. Too quiet. Oh god there's going to be a Dominator mothership down there.

sr2-324.jpg

My goal planet. Ten days to get there, fourteen days left on the mission deadline. I'm smooth.

sr2-325.jpg

Did he say... uh...
What... what does he mean by... yeah. Let's move on.

sr2-326.jpg

So relieved by finally succeeding in my mission, I hit F3 to save, screenshotting the glorious moment. The more keen-eyed amongst you may spot the mistake I made in my haste here.
I know it looks too perfect and therefore set up but I honestly did that.

sr2-327.jpg

blam.gif

sr2-328.jpg

Anyway.
Suicidally depressing loading accidents aside, I get a quest from the saturday morning cartoon alien which basically amounts to "go back to where you came from". Not sure if this was scripted or a happy coincidence.
I accept the job, and go to the trading center to buy some weapons, which are going for a low price from this planet, allowing me to sell them on for a major profit elsewhere (indicated by the three thumbs up).

sr2-329.jpg

Uhh.
Sure.

sr2-330.jpg

Good lord. A friendly soul in the grim darkness of the far future. I think I'll note down his name. Actually, no, he's being patronising, he's a cunt too.

sr2-331.jpg

Ooh.
Not enough danger and excitement for one day/update, I decide. Besides, I made the run last time with four whole days to spare out of 84, I have plenty of time.

sr2-334.jpg

sr2-332.jpg

sr2-333.jpg

sr2-335.jpg

Uh.
Well.
This is not quite what I expected.

sr2-336.jpg

Oh God my opponent is a monster. He has some horrible spread-shot, a laser like mine, and glowing blue homing missile... orb... things. I run for it and look for powerups.

sr2-337.jpg

If you squint, you can see him on the other side of the sphere. These stages are set around a pseudo-3D sphere, kind of like the ones in the Sonic 3 minigames except not really it's just a sphere.

sr2-338.jpg

There's the bastard.
I hit him with the infamous noserammer, and unload the dreaded might of the industrial laser at his cockpit ineffectually. He does the same back.

sr2-339.jpg

Hmm. Equal amounts of damage dealt on both sides. There is hope, brothers. Shall Crotchduster triumph and make his first kill before he dies to a horribly huge Dominator army again?

sr2-340.jpg

no

sr2-341.jpg

doesn't

sr2-342.jpg

look like it

sr2-343.jpg

We successfully escape with the tiniest sliver of health, and eventually, hunting in desperation, find... a health pickup! Our mysterious assailant is now, as they say, going to "get his".

sr2-344.jpg

Let's listen to our favourite song.

sr2-345.jpg

FOR TODAY

sr2-346.jpg

IT IS A SONG

sr2-347.jpg

OF VICTORY

sr2-348.jpg

FUCK YES I AM THE BEST SPACE RANGER EVER

sr2-349.jpg

Triumphant, I emerge into an unknown star system. Checking my map, it seems I'm only one or two systems over from our own. I set autopilot to head for the gate, sit back, crack open a beer and relax.

sr2-350.jpg

Oh god are you fu

sr2-301.jpg

Quilty

Magister
This delivers, I want moar.

Also, I would pay to see you flounder around in Eve Online. :) Now there's a bitch.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Admiral Jimbob said:
he wants me to kill the other Space Ranger who's helping him fight them off.
Such silly moments are there because all other rangers live in the world just like you, which means some of them can decide they want to rob some ships which of course will drop their reputation in the eyes of ship's owner race.
Heh and if you will try to destroy some and will be close to doing it - they will land on the planet of that race, preferring to go to jail instead of being killed. Try to get into jail at least once - there is a good and somewhat non-linear quest connected to getting out from it.

Try doing text quests, if they are similar to original's there is quite a number of brainstorming ones.

Also the reason you're getting raped by dominators is because you don't have a good equipment yet - try turtling in the free sectors until scientists will come up with more or less suitable technology. Or if you are confident - just attack smaller dominators, collect their nodes and gtfo - aka do raids. And the thing about them pushing you into the corner by conquering systems is perfectly ok. Races simply don't have the needed technology to fight - I remember it was pretty cool to finally turn the tide when ships and weapons became much better.

SR2 is awesome... I remember I got to the Top1 ranger spot by searching for and killing all rangers above me.

Shiny

Novice
AHAHAHAHAHAHA... I love that the fucking black hole deposited into the fucking dominator nest... lulz! You gotta get Volurn in on this, as I'm sure he'd have a positive spin for it :P

Raapys

Arcane
Priceless. Always frustrating being dumped in the middle of Dominator space. Note in the ship equipment view, there's a small button to the left of the engine slot. If you press it while in space, your speed will increase by 100%. It's great for escaping situations like that, though better to keep off at other times since it damages the engine rather quickly.

If you want to try avoiding the dominators in general, keep in mind that you can use the system map to locate them. You can right-click systems to see the planets/stations and who owns them, and there is a Shield icon by the system if it is under Dominator attack. A two crossed swords icon, on the other hand, indicates that the coalition is attacking a Dominator-controlled system.

Also, Missile Launchers are excellent in the beginning. Long range, so you can launch then fly out of range

quasimodo

Augur
This is the best game to come out in the last few years.

Get better offensive and defensive equipment before you go looking for trouble. Shop around for good deals. Get light weight equipment so you can fill all your hull slots and still have some cargo space left.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I always have trouble getting into it. I start a game and then kind of peter out because I don't like doing Fed-Ex quests but I can't really do anything else at the start.

Mantiis

Cipher
Funny stuff.

Does this have any DRM? I think this let's play has talked me into getting it.

Heresiarch

Prophet
skyway said:
SR2 is awesome

Never thought Skyway would say such things.

But yes, SR 2 is teh awsum. It just have so much LP material in a single game. For example, a LP update just for one difficult RTS mission (some of its difficulty are downright inhumane, like the 3 ships boarding yours one), a LP update for a text mission.

Those text quests almost all contain some of the most awesome lulz in gaming history, it's just too fun to replay a single text quest a dozen times just to see all the hilarious "game over" scene it has.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Some text quests are also ridiculously hard. I remember the one where you had to work as a freight transporter on the planet - it was full of random encounters (and random everything) and it is pretty easy to get raped there - and you won't find a single true way to complete it, because every time you restart it everything will go differently. Of course it is also long and there are no savepoints.
I gave up after 8 or so try - you just need a pure luck to win. But text quests were the main thing that got me into the first game back in 2003. And then you think - these guys did linear KB:L afterwards with only combat and much boring writing, what?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Just keep visiting random planets when you want - you'll find those quests eventually - they usually start to appear after some time in the game.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Uh the texties were made of pure win. I remember getting one and then sitting behind the monitor with paper and pencil and trying to figure out what course will be the best. E.g. the transporter one mentioned above, and to a greater extent the one where you have to land safely to the bottom of the sea bed, retrieve some stuff and return to the surface safely or the one where you manage a ski resort. Pure awesomeness for a geek like me :D

Heresiarch

Prophet
Some text quests are also ridiculously hard. I remember the one where you had to work as a freight transporter on the planet - it was full of random encounters (and random everything) and it is pretty easy to get raped there - and you won't find a single true way to complete it, because every time you restart it everything will go differently. Of course it is also long and there are no savepoints.

Lol r u dumb @ sim gaems or wut?

Actually, these kind of quests were all pure disasters for me the first few times playing through. It's just damn difficult to even survive for more than a dozen of rounds/days/whatever. But once got the hang of it, all those quests became pure enjoyable and smooth playing experience which is not unlike having finally mastered rubik's cube.

And BTW, 95% of the text quest outcomes are pure comedy gold, it's just so satisfying to see some ridiculous ending comment (the end of the quest in which you're transformed into some beast and need to survive as the fittest is brilliant) along with the heart-warming "Quest Completed" option showing up after playing through a hard quest. Much better than all those average Game Over CGI.

Where do you find most of the text quests other than prison, random planet jobs?

Yeah, just fly around and ask for random quests. about 1/4 of them should be RTS quests and 1/4 are text quests.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Love the ski-resort text quest. It's one of those, once you figure out what to do, winning becomes trivial. :)

Not quite so with the pizza-championship one. You really need to luck out on the judges there.. Getting one of each makes baking a winner a nightmare. :roll:

quasimodo

Augur
When I played the original SR2 I got RTS and text quests quite often.

I later bought the full version with the expansion and when I replayed the game I was only offered a couple of text quests. I don't know if this is a bug or some design choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom