Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play: Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein - VetBoB

Caveman

Scholar
I will be play this as Allies, with new mod: VeteranBoB. This mod makes game harder and better in every aspect.

Operation "Watch on the Rhine." Day first. First battle.

Much advanced German forces are attacking at SOUTH EIFEL.

My men are defending the forest near crossroads. One squad become FANATIC.

64259604jw2.jpg

We lost the battle but we still hold the map and one important road.

94776998wa3.jpg

and fanatic heroes will live forever.

52088918ig5.jpg

Caveman

Scholar
Second battle. Defending of HABSCHEID town.

First victory but still huge losses.

69665815cw2.jpg

Heavy fights in center. My AT gun destroyed Stug tank and kill some enemy soldiers.
96492500is7.jpg

Here it is, lucky AT:
27510423qe5.jpg

Caveman

Scholar
Next battle.

This time situation is more serious. We are facing Armor Divison full of cats.

62050474ea5.jpg

First succes! 2 Panthers are burning!

43385465zj2.jpg

And bloody fights for Hill:

61872068xm4.jpg

We hold the map till reinforces arrived.

Caveman

Scholar
2 more battles. Nothing much interesting in first one.
We killed 2 more Panthers G.

This bazooka team is growing for a new legend.

12ok8.jpg

13se3.jpg

Mr Sampson :D

Hope he will survive next battles. I will keep an eye on him.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Wait, what version is this? Never played Wacht am Rhein. But I can't find it anywhere! I need it!

Is it recent? I don't see it in stores and I can only find a "leaked beta" on the web.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Keep it up, but it would be nice if you go into more detail for a really interesting battle and describe the tactics you used.

Caveman

Scholar
GlobalExplorer said:
Caveman, what screen resolution is that?

1280 x 800
18do9.jpg

Cloaked Figure :arrow: game looks really great in motion. Its very readable.

---------------

TOTAL VICTORY! First TV!
14je4.jpg

DREAM TEAM. Look at these names. Romero is bad ass! He got a precious medal: The Silver Star!
15qb1.jpg

Strategy was kinda simple. This little town is great for defense.
17xf9.jpg

cannon fodder
soldiers who are not believed to be important and who are sent to fight in the most dangerous places where they are likely to die. Inexperienced troops were used as cannon fodder.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Why wouldnt you place some ambushing peeps in house on the bottom right?
Also, MOAR! /screens of tactical decisions. Cant be that the middle of the town was the only interesting part.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
BethesdaLove said:
Why wouldnt you place some ambushing peeps in house on the bottom right?
Also, MOAR! /screens of tactical decisions. Cant be that the middle of the town was the only interesting part.

Not knowing Caveman's reasoning, I'd say that house would be hard to defend since you can't cover it as easily as the other houses he's occupying. Seeing how one of his teams are KIA though, they might just have been killed in that house. The beginning of the campaign for the American, if it's like the original, is all about containing the Germans as much as possible and slowing them down until you get your reinforcements and they run out of steam so you can roll all over them.

Durwyn

Prophet
Looks like a pretty neat game. Does it have active pause ? Im not a strategy geek so controling more than 10 squads without a time to think about what i am doing is a pain in the butt to me. Is it noob friendly ?

Caveman

Scholar
Durwyn said:
Looks like a pretty neat game. Does it have active pause ? Im not a strategy geek so controling more than 10 squads without a time to think about what i am doing is a pain in the butt to me. Is it noob friendly ?

it doesnt have an active pasue. But this is not a Starcraft's click fest.
Everything is going relatively slow, like in real life. This game is simulation.
The number of units (15) is "just right". You wont miss important action or you wont yawn.

CC is very deep but not complicated.
Easy to get in. Much easier than Starcraft imo.

Here are some videos from not modded game:
http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/WaR/ ... ault2.html
http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/WaR/Setz/Setz.html

Modded game looks and sounds better. New soudns, unit and graphics. Harder gameplay

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Let me add that in CC you can select from three speeds, and all run slower than real time.

Question: Are all battles still fought with full 15 vs 15 squads or is this more like in CC2 where you sometimes had to hold as long as possible with 3-4 meagre squads against a full complement, and retreat? I never saw the appeal of anything > CC4 for exactly that reason.

Caveman

Scholar
GlobalExplorer said:
Let me add that in CC you can select from three speeds, and all run slower than real time.

Question: Are all battles still fought with full 15 vs 15 squads or is this more like in CC2 where you sometimes had to hold as long as possible with 3-4 meagre squads against a full complement, and retreat? I never saw the appeal of anything > CC4 for exactly that reason.

it depends on situation on strategic map(its like mini turn based wargame).
Units can run out of ammo or fuel or just "bleed to death".

So I'm at turn 2 of 25... Anything can happen in rest of the turns...

19dz0.jpg

Most of battles will continue... And it will be harder and harder :)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The game itself or the mod you're using? The vetbob mod was ported relatively quickly from cc5 so I wouldn't be amazed if some problems reared their heads. Not too mention that vetbob itself has a number of problems even with cc5 and is rather fickle with other mods (yesterday the game decided that all of my infantry could not be moved. whoops)

Still, cc5 itself is an awesome game with the vetbob mod. Don't really see the need to buy the upgraded version now that I've found it. Lots of extra units, features, better pathfinding and AI and the first time cc actually got rather difficult for me.

Caveman

Scholar
The game itself has bugs like: soldiers are cancelling orders with no reason(due to it AI is much less aggressive) and sometimes direction of fire is different than direction of tank's gun. And lots of little ones.

You can still play game but these two irritate me to much.

Caveman

Scholar
I couldnt leave my men alone. So new battles. Still day 3.

22hg9.jpg

Romero got new kills and medals.
23rx8.jpg

Sampson is still alive.

Situation on strategic map:
Germans destroyed my unit and broke the line.
24pn5.jpg

Reinforcements:
Airborne!
25tc2.jpg

band_of_brothers_freres_armes_fond_ecran_2_1024x768.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom