Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play:Codexians of Rage vs the Temple of Elemental Evil

The_Temple_of_Elemental_Evil_Coverart.png

Part 1: Codexians assembled
Part 2: Intro dungeon and locked chests
Part 3: A horrible struggle with Hommlet along with a relaxing stay in a Bog
Part 4: Finishing up Welkwood Bog
Part 5: Hommlet and getting to the Moathouse
Part 6: Into the Moathouse
Part 7: Moathouse pt2, Lareth and his buddies.
Part 8: Ganked by Lareth's goons.

Vibalist

Arcane
Another one? Sure, if only for the fact that blind LP's can be pretty entertaining.

Also, you probably know this, but remember the Circle of 8 mod.

Co8 is the reason I'm doing this. The first time I played ToEE I just quit at Hommlet. A nasty place, that is. When I read that Co8 included an alternative early area I decided that ToEE was worth another go.

Vibalist

Arcane
Alternative early area?

As far as I know you still have to go through Hommlet with Co8 installed. That doesn't mean you have to waste your time talking to every villager and doing their pointless quests, though. Just go straight for the Moathouse, you lose nothing by doing so.

pocahaunted

Arcane
I'm always on the fence about this one, while I enjoy most LPs, ToEE is one of the few that one day I might be inspired enough to endure it's painful starting area and spoilers would suck.

Anyway, go for it. :thumbsup:

JrK

Prophet
Vibalist said:
Alternative early area?

As far as I know you still have to go through Hommlet with Co8 installed. That doesn't mean you have to waste your time talking to every villager and doing their pointless quests, though. Just go straight for the Moathouse, you lose nothing by doing so.

Yeah the latest CO8 has a low-lvl combat area. It's pretty basic but it works. You don't have to do any of the normal Hommlet quests though you still have to talk to a few guys in Hommlet to open up the areas.

Vibalist said:
Alternative early area?

My chance of getting past the moathouse without a level under my belt is very slim. I'm not only new to ToEE, this will also be my first experience with D&D that isn't a bastardized RTwP system.

Since it seems there is interest I'll take character submissions. 5 slots total. Need a minimum of 1 warrior-type class, 1 divine caster and 1 arcane caster. Preferably at least 1 more arcane caster but I'll work with what you give me and/or recruit NPCs. If you are a D&D masterfuckingmind then feel free to give me a complete character build template, otherwise just follow the following structure and I'll fill in all the specific details.

Name
Race. Hopefully most of us know at least approximately the strength and weaknesses of each. If not go google search D&D 3.5ed rules, which ToEE is directly based off of.

Gender. Transgenders not supported :decline:

Height. Tall/short/normal.
Class. Same caveat as Race, go look it up yourself if you don't know what they are.

Portrait

Feel free to include any extraneous info like preferred weapons and it will be integrated into the character build if possible. Feel free to choose an alignment but it may be modified if needed to fit into the party since ToEE strictly forces your characters to have similar alignments.

chzr

Scholar
:thumbsup:

anyway, archer as usual (straight from previous toee lp)

29.gif

chzr
female
half-elf

ranger 1 lvl, then 8 fighter levels, rest ranger levels

chaotic neutral
no deity

STR 12
DEX 17 (all points here)
CON 8
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 14

starting skills: survival, spot, listen, hide, move silently
increase only spot, listen and survival with both fighter and ranger levels

feats:
1: point blank shot, racial en. human
2: precise shot
3: weap. foc. longbow, imp. initiative
5: weap. spec. longbow
6: far shot
7: dodge
9: great. weap. foc. longbow, imp. crit. longbow
10: archery spec.
12: mobility
13: rac. en: elf +2 (human +4)
15: shot on the run

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Alright then, fuck those infinity engine LPs I expect great things from you for the good cause. You better play on ironman or you're a gigantic faggot

26.gif

Serious
Half-Orc
Male

Chaotic Evil
Barbarian/Fighter

STR : As much as possible
Dex : 12
Con : 16
Wis : 12
Int : 10
Cha dump

Specialize in Big Fucking Swords ; cleave, power attack and the like

Overall personality should be about white seething hate.

This could be interesting, any way I'll sub a char in case you need a another arcane caster.

Name: Strangelove
race: elf
class: Sorcerer
Alignment:Lawful Neutral
height: normal height
deity: Haran

Stats: Cha>dex>con> rest with enough strenght to wield a long bow

Skills feats and spell as you see fit.

some mage looking portrait

Keep in mind that the point buy system is very restrictive. Chzr's character is 5 stat points over the limit and Serious's strength ends up being a whopping 11. You have a total of 25 stat points, stats start at 8 and 14-16 costs double while 16-18 costs triple. Rolling stats most often gives significantly better stats, though I'm not going to roll forever just because some faggot wants perfect 18s so if you want me to roll just give me a stat distribution order like Strangelove has.

Also, max level level in ToEE is 10.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, here's my entry, may she live more than a single update. :smug:

Name: Dolores
Race: Human

Class: Fighter
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Deity: Kord
Stats:
STR 16
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 13
WIS 8
CHA 8

Skills: Intimidate, Tumble, Listen and Spot

Feats:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
(that's for starters, human fighters get to pick 3 feats from the get-go, the next feats are assuming Dolores lives to level up..)
Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain)
Weapon Specialization (Spiked Chain)
Improved Criticals (Spiked Chain)
Cleave
Great Cleave
Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Whirlwind

Height: Tall
Portrait:
32.gif

Voice: Gruff

Play her as a rough tom-boy who loves to lay on the pain with the chain. Oh, and make good use of the improved trip feat. With this, you can lay an enemy prone and attack it in the same turn, assuming the trip attack works. This can be a life saver.. And the improved reach of the chain makes it all the sweeter.

[EDIT] This character is made with the point-buy system of course. It'd be popamole to roll the stats...

chzr

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
Keep in mind that the point buy system is very restrictive. Chzr's character is 5 stat points over the limit and Serious's strength ends up being a whopping 11. You have a total of 25 stat points, stats start at 8 and 14-16 costs double while 16-18 costs triple. Rolling stats most often gives significantly better stats, though I'm not going to roll forever just because some faggot wants perfect 18s so if you want me to roll just give me a stat distribution order like Strangelove has.

Also, max level level in ToEE is 10.

max level in co8 should be 15 or 20 afaik (or there is an option to turn off 10 lvl limit), and you're right about 25 point limit, ulminati used 30 points. will edit stats, can you check the lvl limit (it doesnt matter anyway, just ignore the 11+ lvl feats)?

e: fix'd stats
e2: here's point buy calculator if anyone need's one.
http://emrilgame.netau.net/Dmstuff/pointbuy.html

The max level is configurable in the ToEE front end part of the mod. I will be keeping the level 10 limit to ensure some semblance of balance. AFAIK Co8 doesn't implement any harder content and makes some things significantly easier/more powerful for the player, so I don't see any sane reason to allow level 20 characters in a game that is balanced for level 10.

Vibalist

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
The max level is configurable in the ToEE front end part of the mod. I will be keeping the level 10 limit to ensure some semblance of balance. AFAIK Co8 doesn't implement any harder content and makes some things significantly easier/more powerful for the player, so I don't see any sane reason to allow level 20 characters in a game that is balanced for level 10.

It's true that the vanilla content becomes easy once you get beyond lvl 10, but some of the new content I'm pretty sure is made for higher level characters.

Anyway, my character:

Name: Killertruck
Race: Half Orc
Class: Barbarian, with according stats
Alignment: Whatever fits the party alignment
27.gif

I'm no d&d mastermind so I'm not sure how feat progression goes and such, so I'll leave that up to you if it's not too much bother.

Chzr through Dolores are in, assuming Serious is fine with his first rolled stats (he ends up really well off, 19 Str/16 Con). Last character needs to be some kind of divine caster.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Sweet! Does this mean I can blissfully forget about my TOEE LP and concentrate on getting my kitchen finished next weekend?

You'll need two fairly beefy tanks to get you through the moathouse by the way. Speaking form personal experience. It's either that, or resting a LOT.

Also, you need to let people know how many build points they have -- The LP I run is using 30 build points (which is the number the PHB and DMG in 3.5 reccomended. The TOEE engine is capped at a lower number, but there's a fairly easy way to get around it. Roll the stats as per normal, then switch to advanced. Click where one of the rolled numbers were and drag it to one of the boxes. The number will show up, and you can finish up the character using the extra build points this method granted you.

Characters are in. This is the Co8 preparation area. I believe its intended to be a sort of hub for other custom modules, but right now its just a way to get everyone their starter equipment. Here is everyone's final build and their outfit. Our party is Chaotic Neutral, a very Codexian alignment.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Overweight Manatee said:
Chzr through Dolores are in, assuming Serious is fine with his first rolled stats (he ends up really well off, 19 Str/16 Con). Last character needs to be some kind of divine caster.

Right, go for it, sorry I wasn't sure about the stats. Didn't remember it was so restrictive (instead of point allocation I usually cheat stats with editors, rolling is for suckers)

Ulminati said:
You'll need two fairly beefy tanks to get you through the moathouse by the way. Speaking form personal experience. It's either that, or resting a LOT.

I'm actually a bit depressed by how fighter heavy we are. Most of my parties in other D&D games end up with only 1 high BAB character. This is probably due to my IE D&D background though, where fighters can't do anything other then attack. Presumably with all the different attacks, ranges, and movements fighter heavy parties are more interesting.

Ulminati said:
Also, you need to let people know how many build points they have -- The LP I run is using 30 build points (which is the number the PHB and DMG in 3.5 reccomended. The TOEE engine is capped at a lower number, but there's a fairly easy way to get around it. Roll the stats as per normal, then switch to advanced. Click where one of the rolled numbers were and drag it to one of the boxes. The number will show up, and you can finish up the character using the extra build points this method granted you.

The Codex does not need extra ability points. Any deficiencies will be made up with a healthy supply of RAGE.

Wow you got some quite nice stats there, considering that you only rolled once for each character.

Overweight Manatee said:
The Codex does not need extra ability points. Any deficiencies will be made up with a healthy supply of RAGE.

Rage, Rage through the enemies, Rage for the Codex. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom