Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Let's Play] Dark Heresy: Against Hope - ITZ back

Korgan

Arbiter
The tiny cabin climbs up with a whine, you push the servitor inside and crouch behind it, pistol drawn. It descends again, the doors open and you find yourself in the dusty servants' quarters of a fairly rich mansion, currently seeming to be abandoned. You use the servitor for cover, moving carerfully along an unlit corridor, when you hear more las-fire, this time with your own senses. You draw back a heavy drape at the corridor's end and find youself at an intersection, a stairway ahead leading down to a spacious hall with a transparent wall in the back, offering a view of faraway structures and a landing pad protruding from the spire's side. Two doors to your left and right presumably lead to the mansion's wings.
The fire came from your right, so you head there and cautiously approach an open door at the end of another hallway. There's a luxirious cabinet behind it, with empty bookcases lining the walls. One is moved to reveal a narrow secret passage, descending and turning a corner. An apparently dead man in a black bodyglove lies there, his lower body out of sight. You lean through the opening to get a closer look. Then a woman starts yelling from below: "Hey! You the cops?! Get me outta here, that damn turret fucked us up good! Cut the power or find the controls! Just get me outta this mess, please!"[Logic: Success] They were obviously thieves trying to plunder the mansion's vault when you unwittingly reactivated the security systems. One's dead now, and the woman is trapped.
Do you:
1.- Talk to her and
1.1 tell her nothing so far, but ask how you can get her out, and do so.
1.2 imply you're with the Inquistion (your mechanical voice and strange manners, not to mention your current appearance, don't allow you to impersonate any other Imperial servants)
1.3 explain that you're also on the run, and attempt to free her.
2. - Leave her there and search the mansion for hiding places, escape routes or anything useful.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, she's in the vault eh? A thief? Well, we're not exactly innocent ourselves. She could be a potential ally.
Under all circumstances, the vault might hold something good. I vote option

Korgan said:
1.- Talk to her and
1.2 imply you're with the Inquistion (your mechanical voice and strange manners, not to mention your current appearance, don't allow you to impersonate any other Imperial servants)
Trust no one. Could we pick 1.2 and 1.1? It's more likely that she'll tell us the truth if she believes we're from the inquisition.

Korgan

Arbiter
Shit, guys, I'm just recovering from another depression/apathy attack now. I'll pick this up pretty soon, honest.

Korgan

Arbiter
Trying to pick it up, by popular demand.
1) I'll have to change the PC's background from Forge World to Mind Cleansed
2) The trouble is, 40k feels kinda dry without combat to me, so I plotted a couple of encounters right ahead. Gotta think of an interactive yet reasonably quick way to handle them.
About the story: as you could've guessed, a rogue Inquisitor Lady has conditioned you for her own ends. You can turn on her, but the mind control might kick in when you least expect it. Her enemies recognize the danger in handling you, but you're their best weapon against her, so they'll try to work with you too. Neither path will be completely locked out by your actions.
In other news, you'll believe a baby can dance.

If you're struggling to get back into the swing of things as well as changing some of the backstory, have you considered starting from scratch? It might be worthwhile considering.

Korgan

Arbiter
From scratch? Geez, it's a load off my shoulders! I've been thinking of a better initial setup, but wasn't sure how you'd take it. Here goes: same general plot, but you start aboard an Imperial cruiser in orbit around Malfi, having just led a mercenary assault team to sabotage its reactor. You do the job, but are ambushed by a puritan Inquisitor and his retinue; all but one of your men and one of his are killed in a firefight as the ship is disintegrating. That's when your free will suddenly returns. Choose whom to side with, escape either to your getaway transport or the dead Inquisitor's blockade runner and travel around the sector to find out what's going on and what should be done.
This should be a little easier for me to run, as space combat, large-scale action, etc as covered in Rogue Trader are better suited to a post-by-post format.
You can keep this PC (although I need to make some adjustments and throw in a few bionics/augs for a higher power level), or choose a different option: 1) Orphan gang leader (Scum, higher XP and useful minor mutations) or 2) An unwilling student/test subject at a secret warpcraft research facility (Blighted Schola Adept with Thy Name I Know)

Korgan

Arbiter
Waiting for 2-3 more votes. By the way, a Rogue Trader supplement with more rules for the stuff I want to focus on - ships and mass combat - should be out in a month. I'll stick to the basics for now.
Oh, and in case you didn't know, Thy Name I Know is a package that gives you the benefits of a daemonic pact with less danger and corruption. So you have one useful superpower, like regeneration or seeing the future, but have to hide it from pretty much everyone. And if you're really, really desperate, you can burn a fate point to summon the daemon, then get the *fuck* out of there. Not that I'm forcing you to pick that option or anything.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
It's Thy Name I Keep, if you want to be anal about it and who doesn't love anal?

Good luck. So far only root has managed to keep a 40k thread alive for any longer amount of time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom