Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Darkest Hour - Turkey enters WW2

If I were you, I would see how far I can get in the caucasus, then stop advancing there and try to shift as many troops as possible to the Southern fronts. A multi-front war is always bad, if you win the Middle-East you get the resources to shift your situation and then try again in 1943 with most of your army.

The bad side is that you will soon have to deal with all those troops in North Africa, but if you can find a way to bottle the british in Egypt or something and keep the Royal Navy from dumping entire armies in Palestine, that would be ideal.

Are there still Italians in Ethiopia?

Kipeci

Arcane
Looks like a bracing situation! I don’t know if a defensive war of attrition is one you can win against the Allies unless something changes in a big way like managing to somehow cut off their oil.

Andnjord

Arcane
Yeah, I don't see you having any real success unless your army somehow improves dramatically in quality and efficiency. Also US entry into the war will be a serious problem, once those GI's start flooding in into one of the few Ally active front (Eg: YOU) you're gonna be toast. And it doesn't look like the Soviets are collapsing nearly quickly enough.

Me thinks that the Caucasus front needs to be stabilized ASAP to allow you to concentrate on the less defensible southern front.

I'll grab my popcorn and enjoy seeing the soviets and allies shaking hands over the corpse of the dead Turanists in Istanbul Constantinople. :love:

Query: what do the little flags mean on the bottom right of the unit counters by the way?

Last edited:

zool

Arcane
Are there still Italians in Ethiopia?

Nope, the East Africa campaign is already considered over by scenario start on 22 June 1941.

Looks like a bracing situation! I don’t know if a defensive war of attrition is one you can win against the Allies unless something changes in a big way like managing to somehow cut off their oil.

The Caucasus and Iranian oil fields seemed to be within reach of the Turks and their capture could have had an impact on the Soviet/Allies war machine. Alas...

Query: what do the little flags mean on the bottom right of the unit counters by the way?

They indicate whether the units are division, corps or army-sized, so in effect, they are redundant with the "x x x" signs a the top of the counter.

I usually alternate between sprites and counters when I play. Sprites can be more pleasing to the eye (I've installed some quality custom sprites for air and naval units and a few others for cavalry and armored units) but counters are easier to read I reckon. If you prefer, I can take screenshots with sprites rather than counters.

zool

Arcane
You're deep in shit, man.

Think you can still do it?

Nope, the end is nigh but as promised, I'll fight until the bitter end in memory of our glorious forefathers. :salute:

pan-tu11.gif

Andnjord

Arcane
Yep, looks like it's going to be a (hopefully) bitter and slow retreat across the Anatolian Plateau in the hope of overstretching the invaders supply line. We'll see whether they'll run out of bullets before you run out of land. Thankfully you can retreat all the way to your best line of defense, the Marmara sea and not suffer a forced surrender (right?).

zool

Arcane
Yep, looks like it's going to be a (hopefully) bitter and slow retreat across the Anatolian Plateau in the hope of overstretching the invaders supply line. We'll see whether they'll run out of bullets before you run out of land. Thankfully you can retreat all the way to your best line of defense, the Marmara sea and not suffer a forced surrender (right?).

Though I haven't checked, I don't think there is any forced surrender event if Ankara falls, no. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'll have enough IC left to supply my own troops if all I got left is Istanbul and Thrace.

Well, we'll :avatard:

Andnjord

Arcane
Here's the bright side in losing all those troops: you might have enough IC to keep what's left in supply just from Istanbul and Thrace :negative:

EDIT: Might be a bit early for this, but it's coming soon.

Should be this LP's theme song.

Kipeci

Arcane
Any bets on how Turkey will get carved up in the end? Looks like the Allies are getting a foothold into the Balkans soon.

zool

Arcane
Any bets on how Turkey will get carved up in the end? Looks like the Allies are getting a foothold into the Balkans soon.

As of now, it seems the Soviets get to keep Eastern and part of Central Anatolia while the Brits get the rest.

Historically, I would imagine that a joint British-Soviet control of the Straits would be agreed upon since that was a constant revendication by Stalin even after WW2 (he kept asking for a joint Turco-Soviet administration of the Straits after the end of WW2).

So, what now?

(C)ontinue as Allied Turkey?
(R)etry?
(S)urrender?

(F)ight on until the end.

No, really, I'll fight on just for fun until it doesn't make sense anymore (for example if the Brits just sit there and stop attacking).

I'm thinking about doing another Darkest Hour LP in the near future though, starting with Spain in May 1940 and joining in the war at the same time than the Italians in June. Taking Gibraltar and closing off the strait, occupying some provinces in southwestern France, conquering French Morocco and Algeria, annoying the Brits as much as possible in the Mediterranean, that sort of things. All of that and trying to provide as much historical background as possible of course since that's half the fun :obviously:

zool

Arcane
I'm thinking about doing another Darkest Hour LP in the near future though, starting with Spain in May 1940 and joining in the war at the same time than the Italians in June. Taking Gibraltar and closing off the strait, occupying some provinces in southwestern France, conquering French Morocco and Algeria, annoying the Brits as much as possible in the Mediterranean, that sort of things. All of that and trying to provide as much historical background as possible of course since that's half the fun :obviously:
Any love for mods?

I've taken a look at big WW2 mods such as TRP, WiF II or Edge of Darkness but they're all focused on 1933 or 1936 scenario starts. Early starts are great because they give you time to research and build your army for the upcoming war but it's not what I'm looking for for this type of LP. Here, I want WW2 to be as historical as possible until the very moment where I start the game, so I can study in an accurate historical envrionment the ripple effects of me leading a key neutral country on a different path than it took in reality. Vanilla DH offers a great range of starting dates for that.

Also, I've very little interest in playing majors (except maybe for Italy) and all big mods seem to focus on majors.

The other alternative history or fantasy mods (Kaiserreich, FODD, the Warhammer one...) sound great - especially Kaiserreich - but I'll stick to historical WW2 for now.

If you want to do an epic challenge, try 1945 Germany. I think I once read a LP of it and a guy had a pretty good run of it, he lost the saves but he had kicked the Americans out of France, was kicking them out of Italy (or had already done it, don't remember) and kept the Soviets contained in Eastern Europe somehow.

Wasn't this a Cassidy LP from a few years ago?

Andnjord

Arcane
Wasn't this a Cassidy LP from a few years ago?
I think our Cassidy did the Gotterdamerung scenario, AKA: 1944 start, right after the Normandy landings.

Actually, Im not sure about that, but he most certainly did a ww3 scenario with Germany winning the ww2 with liberal use of nukes and invasions of the US with helicopter and jet fighters. Damn :obviously: it was.

Andnjord

Arcane
Welp, now it's a proper trench warfare, except that you have almost no country left to feed the war with. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom